New and Old: AA Dreamliner in J; AA MD80 in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Tour of Duty 19th August 2017 to 9th September 2017
Part I: 19th August

I was wanting to see the Eclipse of 20th August 2017 but I've seen partial eclipses before and I live in an area that was in the partial eclipse zone. I wanted to see totality with my own eyes but the question was where could I get a hotel room and how do I get there? I was looking up rooms on the Wyndham site and saw rooms in Bridgeton, Missouri and Albany, Oregon. The Super 8 in Albany, Oregon wanted 1400$ before taxes and the Super 8 in Bridgeton, Missouri, just outside the area of totality, wanted only 50$ and some change before taxes. I could hardly believe it but I booked two nights at that rate and looked into flights to STL. I finally decided to burn miles on AA and the nonstop to STL disappeared but there was connecting service through DFW that involved a Dreamliner. I booked a one-way award ticket in J on the Dreamliner from LAX to DFW and F in a MD-80 from DFW to STL.

Saturday the 19th of August arrived and I got transport to LAX. I opted to fly on Saturday for two reasons. First I did not want to play hooky from church and arrangements were made for a friend of mine to pick me up and take me to services the church he is pastor of in Winfield, Missouri. Second I did not want to risk missing the eclipse if something was to happen with one of the flights. I also took my gear as I intended to make myself available for work after the Eclipse.

I arrived at LAX and checked my bags at no additional charge due to being in J and F. The bags weighed 47 and 41lbs. I cleared security after a very short queue and got TSA Precheck so I did not have to opt out. Time elapsed was about 10 minutes.

American #2462 LAX-DFW B-787-9 Dreamliner Group 1
Seat 8L Business Class Cruising altitude 39,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:30, actual 2:27
Depart: Gate 43 Scheduled 14h05, actual 13h59 Taxi: 23 minutes
Arrive: Gate D36 Scheduled 19h15, actual 19h00 Taxi: 12 minutes

We boarded via jetway using door 2L. The capacity was 285 and all seats were taken plus a crew of 10. Configuration in J was 1-2-1 and I was in the last row of J. A PDB was offered with the choice of water or orange juice. I chose water. Pushback was 6 minutes early. It was announced it was 98F at DFW.

Takeoff was to the west and we were overwater at 32 seconds after liftoff. I saw Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, Venice and Santa Monica with Malibu and the Santa Monica Mountains farther away. We made left turn to head south and I saw Catalina Island at 0:04. We made landfall at 0:09 north of Laguna Beach. I saw Laguna Beach and Dana Point Harbour. I saw the Marine Layer from San Clemente southward.

I saw Camp Pendleton at 0:12 and we crossed Interstate 15 at 0:14 over either Temecula or north San Diego County. I saw Lake Henshaw and then at 0:16 I saw Mt. Palomar. We were abreast of Borrego Springs at 0:19. At 0:22 it was announced it was just shy of 100F at DFW and seatbelt sign went off over the Salton Sea. I saw the Imperial Valley. It was announced we would arrive 10 minutes early. I saw the Algodones Dunes at 0:24.

At 0:29 we crossed the Colorado River into Arizona airspace and I saw Yuma, AZ to the distance and I saw the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortes to the far distance. At 0:35 I got can of soda and glass plus mixed nuts. I was NOT addressed by name. At 0:40 I saw clouds increase and clouds blocked the view below by 0:44. I used the washroom and the washroom was very spacious for an airplane. At 1:00 I saw break in the clouds somewhere past Tucson, AZ.

Options for meal were Salad and Shrimp or Enchilida. I chose the Salad and Shrimp online earlier. At 1:16 I saw the Franklin Mountains and part of the El Paso area to the near distance. At 1:20 I got the meal of salad with rice, green beans and some icky stuff plus shrimp. I was offered bread and chose pretzel roll. The other bread choices were multigrain or French. I got another glass of soda at 1:23. I got chocolate chip cookie at 1:27 and a piece of French bread at 1:28.

Clouds totally blocked the view below at 1:30 but broke and at 1:38 I saw the Permian Basin. At 1:43 I saw Odessa, TX then MAF and we went over Midland, TX at 1:45. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:59 and there were more clouds. We were on descent by 2:01. Announcement was made to prepare cabin at 2:17 and at 2:19 I saw Arlington, TX. We headed north and overflew DFW at 2:20. We turned east and south and landed north to south and arrived at gate 15 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway out of door 2L.

I headed to Concourse C and had evening rations at Dickeys BBQ and got BBQ Brisket Sandwich and cup of water.

American #1010 DFW-STL MD-80 Group 1
Seat 5A First Class Cruising altitude 33,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 1:11
Depart: Gate C4 Scheduled 21h05, actual 21h18 Taxi: 11 minutes
Arrive: Gate C16 Scheduled 22h43, actual 22h45 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 17 minutes after arrival

The plane was delayed getting in. We boarded via jetway. I got PDB of water. The plane was full with all 140 seats taken plus crew of 5. Pushback was 13 minutes late followed by takeoff to the south. I saw downtown Dallas and we made left turns, a "U" turn to head north. I got can and glass of soda at 0:17. Later the F/A came through with Snack Basket and I chose a bag of potato chips as well as mixed nuts. At 0:33 seatbelt sign went off. After bumps seatbelt sign went on again at 0:42 and off again at 0:50. I felt descent begin at 0:54 and descent was announced at 0:57. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:00. At 1:08 I saw junction of Interstate 70 and Missouri 370 and the Love's Truckstop off Missouri 370. We landed west to east and arrived at gate 2 minutes late. We deplaned via jetway.

After I collected my bags which were the first to arrive, I went out and found out where to be picked up and got ride to hotel. I spent night in Bridgeton, MO.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 15, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Pictures from AA1010 DFW-STL 19th August 2017
Attached Images      
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I hope you got a good view of the eclipse - thanks for sharing ^
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Sunday Church; Celestial Show Over the Show Me State

Part II: 20th August to 22nd August

Sunday the 20th of August I got up earlier than usual. I was picked and taken to New Salem Baptist Church in Winfield, MO. Sunday School was on the book Pilgrims Progress. In the main service the sermon was entitled "The Abundant Supply" based on Galatians 3:2-6 and Titus 3:5-6. Website for the church is www.nsbcwinfield.com

After church we went to the Parsonage for midday rations which included Pork Roast. Afterward I was taken back to the hotel and there were a few drops of rain on the way. I spent night in Bridgeton, MO.

Monday I extended my stay at hotel. My friend was delayed but picked me up with plenty of time to spare. In the days leading up to the Eclipse I was monitoring the weather forecast for the area and the forecast constantly changed and at one point there was a 50% chance of rain and at one point cloud cover of 67% was forecast. I was relieved that there was not much cloud cover but it was hot and muggy.

My friend picked me up and we made several stops to get eclipse glasses. Traffic was not bad except for a backup at the interchange of Interstate 270 and Interstate 44. I finally had success and got two pair of eclipse glasses at the Police Station in Pacific, MO. After some midday rations and fuel stop, we headed to the house of the daughter of my mother's cousin in Pacific, MO. She was at work but her husband was present and we went to the backyard where we viewed the progress of the Eclipse. As Totality approached the temperature dropped from "unpleasant" to "pleasant." My mother's cousin was also present and we chatted some. There were just a few clouds but the clouds moved away in time for the main event which was Totality. I took pictures of Totality with both my Smartphone and Digital Camera. The pictures from the Digital Camera came out better. The only pictures featured in this report will be from my Digital Camera. Shortly after Totality ended we had to leave as my friend had to work. Traffic was slower going back toward St-Louis. That evening I ate at Olive Garden and saw lightning to the distance as I walked back to hotel. There was some rain later and I spent the night in Bridgeton, MO.

Tuesday I extended my stay again as a trip disappeared on me. I spent another night in Bridgeton, MO.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 15, 2017 at 11:35 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Moving Trucks Throughout the Midwest

Part III: 23rd August to 1st September

Wednesday morning I awoke and took a look at trips available and consulted dispatch. I opted to accept a dispatch from Independence, KS to Fargo, ND and a rental car was set up from Bridgeton, MO to Independence, KS. I got a ride to the rental car place and got into the car. I got some kicks on Old Route 66 on the way. I saw the Route 66 State Park in Eureka, MO and took pictures. Then I took more pictures of Pacific, MO. I had midday rations in Sullivan, MO and topped off the fuel tank of the rental car. I saw and photographed downtown Rolla, MO then downtown Waynesville, MO. After dark I took nighttime pictures of downtown Springfield, MO and got fuel for the rental car there. I made a pit stop in Baxter Springs, MO and took a picture of a neon sign before pulling into Independence, KS where I spent the night.

Thursday I loaded the truck then turned in the rental car. I got a lift back to the truck and did the safety inspection then I got signed off and was good to go.

Trip: Independence, KS to Fargo, ND 717 miles
Make: 2018 Freightliner
Model: Straight Box Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Route: US160 to US75 to Interstate 470 to Interstate 70 to US75 to Nebraska 2 to Iowa 10 to Interstate 29
Maximum elevation: 2,014 feet Interstate 29 Summit, SCl
Highest diesel price USA: 2.759$ per gallon at Pilot Sioux City, IA
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.359$ per gallon at Sac & Fox Powhattan, KS
Permit Required: SD Trip Permit

I headed north and after a couple of pit stops I stopped at a buffet in Topeka for evening rations. I spent the night in Holton, KS.

Thursday I continued north then went through Nebraska into the southwestern corner of Iowa. I stopped to take on fuel and have midday rations in Percival, IA before proceeding north. I stopped in Sioux City for more fuel then stopped at the Jefferson Port of Entry to get a Trip Permit. Afterward I continued to Burbank, SD where I was going to briefly stop but ended up stopping for over two hours as a thunderstorm and heavy rain hit. After the rain let up I continued north to Beresford, SD where I spent the night.

Saturday I continued north and stopped in Watertown, SD for midday rations and then made stops in Wilmot, SD and Hankinson, ND before proceeding into Fargo, ND where I shut down. I had evening rations at Sickies Garage. I spent the night in Fargo, ND.

Sunday morning I was able to finish the delivery in the morning and was picked up by a friend who formerly lived in California. He took me to Sunday morning service at Community Baptist Church at Fargo, ND. The sermon was the last on a series of church planting as a church is being planted in Valley City, ND and services are scheduled to start there the third Sunday in September. The sermon was based on Revelation 4 and 5. After the service I was taken to FAR Hector International Airport where I got into a rental car to head to Winona, MN for my next trip. There was some construction west of Alexandria, MN and there was traffic in Minneapolis. I made it late to Winona, MN where I spent the night.

Monday I turned in the rental car and got a lift to the shipper. I found out this truck was a garbage truck with a right-hand steer as opposed to the usual left-hand steer. Twice before I was confronted with right-hand steer garbage trucks and had to abort as I felt totally unsafe. One of the bosses talked me in to giving it a go so I said I would try. I loaded my gear and did inspection and had to wait for a Trip Permit. I got signed off and was good to go.

Trip: Winona, MN to Le Mars, IA 300 miles
Make: 2016 Peterbilt
Model: Garbage Truck, Right-Hand Steer
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Minnesota 43 to Interstate 90 to Minnesota 60 to Iowa 60 to US75
Maximum elevation: unknown
Diesel price USA: 2.549$ per gallon at BP St-Charles, MN
Permits Required: MN Trip Permit

I got rolling and much of the trip I held my speed to or not much over the minimum posted speed of 40mph. My stress level was high and I made more frequent stops than usual but I progressed on. I made it to Jackson, MN where I spent the night.

Tuesday I talked to the customer and proceeded toward my destination. I dropped south and made a pit stop then continued on and made afternoon delivery. I aborted the previous two trips that had right-hand steers but third time was the charm! I got a lift to Sioux City, IA where I got into a rental car headed to MSP. I was told I would take a Delta flight the following afternoon from MSP to IMT and do a trip from Iron River, MI to Livonia, MI. I took pictures of Sioux City, IA then took pictures of Le Mars, IA the city where I dropped the garbage truck. I found that Le Mars, IA is the headquarters of Blue Bunny Ice Cream and is considered the Ice Cream Capital of the World. I had evening rations at Pizza Ranch and sampled their buffet and had pizza and chicken. I retraced the route of the previous trip as far as Interstate 35 then headed north on the 35. I spent the night in Owatonna, MN.

Wednesday the boss changed his mind and instead of me flying to IMT which would have been a new airport for me to fly in, he opted to rent me another car from MSP to IMT. I had to switch cars as the first rental was Enterprise and only Avis has a presence at IMT. I switched cars in the garage at MSP and after a wait for the second car I proceeded. I stopped for late midday rations before crossing into Wisconsin. I exited the Interstate prior to Eau Claire and headed due east on Wisconsin 29 to Wausau where I headed north on US51 then I cut through the north woods of Wisconsin and made it to Iron Mountain, MI where I spent the night.

Thursday I filled the fuel tank of the rental car then headed to IMT where I dropped the car and was picked up by the shipper and was taken to Iron River, MI, about an hour away, where I picked up the truck. En route I saw the very first signs of fall colours. I loaded my gear, did the safety inspection, got signed off and was good to go.

Trip: Iron River, MI to Livonia, MI 530 miles
Make: 2013 International
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: US2 to Michigan 69 to US2 to Interstate 75 (including Mackinac Bridge) to US23 to Interstate 96
Maximum elevation: unknown but Iron River, MI is listed at 1,512 feet
Highest diesel USA: 2.799$ per gallon at BP St-Ignace, MI
Lowest diesel USA: 2.559$ per gallon at Marathon West Branch, MI

I was on two lane roads in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I made a pit stop in Crystal River, MI then stopped for a nap in the small dot on the map known as Hardwood, MI. I took Michigan 69 to cut off about 11 miles from the journey as well as avoid a weigh scale. I rejoined US2 and headed around Escanaba and stopped for evening rations in Manistique. I continued east and had to take a detour as US2 was closed due to construction at the Cut River Bridge. I stopped on the outskirts of St-Ignace and took pictures of the top of Lake Michigan in the moonlight and I saw the lights of the Mackinac Bridge. I shut down and spent the night in St-Ignace, MI.

Friday I took a look and some pictures of the Mackinac Bridge then took on fuel. Afterward I crossed the Mackinac Bridge from the Upper Peninsula to the Lower Peninsula of Michigan for the first time ever. The speed limit was 45mph for cars and 20mph for trucks that were loaded. The toll for large trucks was 5$ per axle and in my case that computed to 15$. There was no fog and the weather was clear. I crossed into Lower Michigan and that was new territory for me as previously the farthest north I'd been in Lower Michigan was Interstates 96 and 69 on a line from Grand Rapids through Lansing and Flint into Port Huron. The speed limit went to 60 for a few miles then up to 75mph for cars and 65mph for trucks. I was glad to be able to legally do 65mph in Michigan as I remember when trucks were restricted to 55mph at one time.

I headed south on Interstate 75 in northern lower Michigan and made a few pit stops. I stopped a rest area then stopped in West Branch for fuel. I stopped in Bay City and was going to fuel but changed my mind. In Bay City the speed limit dropped to 70mph for cars and 60mph for trucks. I continued south and in the Flint area I took US23 south and stopped in Grand Blanc for the final fill of the fuel tanks. I had evening rations then continued to Livonia where I made an after hours drop per customer instructions. Then I got transport to Northville, MI for the next trip.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 16, 2017 at 1:13 am
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:04 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Great pics of the Eclipse! I saw the 1979 one in Weyburn SK (as a kid) and wish I had seen this one.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:25 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Thanks so much, LC ! Great pix too!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Storm Relief: A Trip From the Midwest to the Great Southwest; New Airport

Part IV: 2nd September to 5th September

After dropping truck in Livonia, MI I got transport to nearby Northville, MI where I was to get another truck. I had trouble locating the truck but I finally found it and loaded my gear and did the inspection and made after hours pickup.

Trip: Northville, MI to La Porte, TX 1,392 miles
Make: 2014 Western Star
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard 18-speed Truck Governed to maximum of 65mph
Route: Interstate 96 to Michigan 14 to US23 to Interstate 475 to US24 to Interstate 469 to Indiana 1 to US224 to Interstate 69 to Interstate 465 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 57 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 40 to Interstate 440 to Interstate 30 to US59 to Texas 14 to Texas 315 to US259 to US59 to Interstate 610 to Texas 225
Highest elevation: unknown
Highest diesel price USA: 2.649$ per gallon at Southfork Gurdon, AR
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.399$ per gallon at Stripes Mt. Enterprise, TX

After pickup I headed to the nearby hotel and shut down and spent the night in Plymouth, MI.

Saturday I awoke and got underway. This was the first of a series of long days. The truck was going to the Houston area to be used for storm relief and cleanup from Hurricane Harvey so I ran as hard as I could do so both legally and safely. I detoured to avoid construction at the Interstate 469/69 interchange near Ft. Wayne, IN. I spent the night in Mt. Vernon, IL.

Sunday I continued south and then west. I took on fuel in Sikeston, MO. I made it to Arkadelphia, AR where I spent the night.

Monday I lost time as I got caught in a traffic jam due to construction and lane closure on Interstate 30 past Hope, AR. Traffic moved well in the construction zone but not before it. I started my run south on US59 and speed limits greatly varied from a top of 75mph which was academic as the truck had top speed of 65mph to lower speed limits such as 55 or 45 or lower due to small towns and traffic lights and stop signs. I made it to Livingston, TX where I spent the night in a full hotel.

Tuesday I continued south and did not really notice any hurricane damage. I delivered the truck and several other drivers were dropping off trucks as well. I spent some time at the receiver working out details for what to do next. I also had a chat with another driver who brought in a truck from Florida and he said that conditions were still bad from about five miles inside Louisiana to about Beaumont, TX. I decided on the next trip and booked flight. There was still a lot of time before scheduled departure and I shared a ride with the other driver who brought truck from Florida.

We arrived at HOU and I waited a bit then checked in and checked bags which weighed 46.5 and 43.5lbs. Then I had evening rations at Pappas BBQ which was before security. I had two sandwiches. Afterward I cleared security and had TSA Precheck so I did not have to opt out but I still had to empty my pockets.

Southwest #1398 HOU-OKC B-737-700 Boarding Pass A39
Seat 23A Cruising altitude 40,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:03, actual 0:59
Depart: Gate 44 Scheduled 22h20, actual 22h12 Taxi: 14 minutes
Arrive: Gate 16 Scheduled 23h50, actual 23h35 Taxi: 9 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 7 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway. This was only the second day that Houston Hobby was open after Hurricane Harvey so there was not a full schedule of flights and the airport was not very busy. The load was only 36/143. It was announced it was clear at OKC. Pushback was 8 minutes early. At pushback +6min it was announced that we would be delayed about 15 minutes taking off due to a line of weather north of Houston. We got moving sooner than that and took off to the east southeast then turned left to head north. I saw downtown Houston, Interstate 45 and HOU after takeoff along with the lights of the Houston metro area. I got peanuts at 0:07 and then it was announced that the F/A's should take their seats and I felt bumps.

At 0:13 I saw lightning on the other (right) side and there were more bumps. I saw lights below at 0:21 and seatbelt sign went off at 0:22. I got pretzels at 0:24 and at 0:26 I got cup of soda. At 0:28 I saw lights of the DFW Metroplex. I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went on and it was announced it was 66F at OKC. I thought I felt descent at 0:33 somewhere over North Texas. I really felt descent at 0:42. At 0:55 we turned right then made a hard landing south to north. We arrived 20 minutes early and our assigned gate was still occupied so there was a short wait. We arrived at gate 15 minutes early and deplaned via jetway. It took only seven minutes from arrival for my bags to appear at baggage reclaim which may be a record low.

This was the first time I used OKC for a flight. I got my bags went out to the designated pickup point for hotel shuttles and got ride to hotel and spent the rest of the night in Oklahoma City, OK.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:39 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Sooner State to the Land of Enchantment; Thinking Outside the Box to Get Home

Part V: 6th September to 9th September

I awoke Wednesday and was granted a late checkout but I was still bothered before checkout by both housekeeping knocking on the door and the front desk phoning. I got transport to the shipper and loaded my gear into the truck and did inspection and alas I found out the marker lights on the top of the cab were not working so I had the shipper fix the problem then I was good to go.

Trip: Oklahoma City, OK to Las Cruces, NM 646 miles
Make: 2004 Sterling
Model: Flatbed
Transmission: Standard 7-speed
Route: Interstate 40 to Interstate 27 to US60 to US70
Maximum elevation: 7,591 feet Apache Summit US70 west of Ruidoso, NM
Highest diesel price USA: 2.699$ per gallon Flying J Amarillo, TX
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.559$ per gallon Flying J Sayre, OK
Permits Required: NM Trip Permit

I headed out and made a stop to visit the Southwest Radio Church Ministries in Oklahoma City. Their website is www.swrc.com and I got a book while I was there. Then I got on the 40 west and stopped in Hinton, OK for evening rations. Afterward I continued west to Clinton, OK where I cleaned the windshields and then I stopped in Sayre, OK to take on fuel. Afterward I continued to Shamrock, TX where I spent the night.

Thursday I took a look at and some pictures of downtown Shamrock, TX as well as some parts of old route 66. Then I headed to McLean, TX where I did the same. I had midday rations at Chuckwagon Cafe an old route 66 attraction before proceeding toward Amarillo. In Amarillo I took on fuel before switching to Interstate 27 south for a short distance. In Canyon I got off the Interstate and started my run on US60. I stopped in Hereford, TX to take some pictures of downtown then headed to Friona, TX where I made a pit stop. I entered Farwell, TX and before I knew it I was in Texico, NM where US60 and 70 merged. I stopped at the Port of Entry to get New Mexico Trip Permit and afterward I found that the marker lights on the top of the cab stopped working. I checked the fuses and found they were normal so there was some other cause. Fortunately the people at the Port of Entry did not see the lights were out (my headlights were still working) as there was still some light left. I took the truck detour around Clovis and headed into Portales, NM where I had evening rations at Cattle Baron. Afterward I booked a room and took some nighttime pictures of downtown Portales before heading to hotel. I originally intended to go as far as Roswell, NM. As I shut down I saw lightning to the distance. I spent the night in Portales, NM.

Friday I continued my trip and stopped in Roswell to take on fuel and get a quick bite. Then I headed west and up the Sacramento Mountains. Rain started just west of San Patricio. I went through a rainy Ruidoso and there was some lightning. I went over Apache Summit west of Ruidoso and dropped into Tularosa and before I reached Tularosa the rain quit. I made a pit stop in Tularosa and saw a rainbow touched base with the receiver to ensure delivery. I took the bypass around Alamogordo and went through White Sands and saw a few sand dunes from the highway. I went over San Augustin Pass and the highway was open though subject to closures of up to an hour. I headed into Las Cruces and made it to the receiver and someone was there to receive the truck. I got ride to hotel where I checked in then I walked to Rudy's BBQ for evening rations. I spent the night in Las Cruces, NM.

Saturday I found that prices jumped for air tickets from ELP to LAX, LGB and SNA. I considered splitting the trip and flying to DEN and laying over and going to church there Sunday and flying to LAX Sunday evening. However prices jumped on the second segment of that idea so I ended up settling on flying to SAN via PHX and Amtrak was available to head north. I opted to refrain booking train ticket should anything happen to the flight.

I got ride to ELP and there was a little time to play with so I directed the driver downtown where I took a few pictures of downtown El Paso then we headed to ELP where I was dropped off. I checked bags and heaviest was 45.5lbs and I forgot to notice what the other bag weighed. I cleared security and there was no queue but I opted out and was patted down and my boot bag was extensively searched. The plane was boarding when I arrived at the gate.

Southwest #6111 ELP-PHX B-737-700 Boarding Pass B15
Seat 22A Cruising altitude 34,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 0:55
Depart: Gate B5 Scheduled 15h00, actual 14h53 Taxi: 6 minutes
Arrive: Gate C1 Scheduled 15h15, actual 14h58 Taxi: 3 minutes

We boarded via jetway. The plane was not full with load of 80/143 and I had a whole row to myself. Pushback was 7 minutes early and takeoff was to the east. We turned north then west and I saw Loop 375 and then downtown El Paso as well as UTEP and the Sun Bowl as well as Juarez, Old Mexico. We headed west over the desert and there was considerable cloudiness. At 0:20 cruise was announced but the captain asked the F/A's to cease service due to clouds and bumps but we were expected to get in 10 minutes early. At 0:28 I saw Interstate 10 and Willcox, AZ. I felt descent begin at 0:32 and at 0:34 I saw the Tucson area. The clouds diminished somewhat. I saw Picacho Peak at 0:39 then Eloy, AZ. I felt bumps at 0:49 and saw the start of the Phoenix metro area. we turned and landed west to east and I saw downtown Phoenix and the State Capital on final. We arrived at gate 17 minutes early and deplaned via jetway.

Southwest #3382 PHX-SAN B-737-700 Boarding Pass A53
Seat 22A Cruising altitude 30,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 0:48
Depart: Gate D1 Scheduled 16h15, actual 16h59 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 2 Scheduled 17h20, actual 18h00 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags <16 minutes after arrival

This flight was late arriving from DEN. We boarded via jetway and again the plane was not full and I had a whole row to myself. The load was 73/143. Pushback was 44min late followed by takeoff to the west. Then we turned more southwest. I felt some bumps during climb and saw Gila Bend, AZ and Interstate 8 at 0:10. We cruised at 30,000 feet but there were still lower than some clouds. The captain came on the intercom and asked the F/A's not to do a service as there were too many bumps. I felt descent at 0:20 still over Arizona airspace. I saw Yuma, AZ at 0:21. At 0:22 we crossed the Colorado River into California airspace. Yuma, AZ was to the south. I felt bumps and saw the Algodones Dunes at 0:26. I saw Interstate 8 to the distance. I saw Holtville, CA at 0:29 and Calexico and Mexicali to the distance. At 0:30 I saw El Centro, CA as well as Imperial, CA then the El Centro Naval Air Station at 0:31. Descent was announced at 0:32 and it was 72F and scattered clouds at SAN. We crossed Interstate 8 at 0:38 over east San Diego County and it was clearing up. I saw Chula Vista, Interstate 805, California 94 and the Coronado Bay Bridge on final. I saw downtown San Diego and we landed east to west and we arrived at gate 40 minutes late and deplaned via jetway. My baggage made it baggage reclaim before I did. I got my bags and headed outside. I was picked up taken to the train station. Due to the delay I had to take the last train of the day. I checked in and checked baggage and waited for the train. Shortly before scheduled departure the passengers formed a queue then boarded.

Amtrak #595 Pacific Surfliner SAN-LAX
Scheduled departure 20h59, actual 20h59
Scheduled arrival 23h52, actual 23h55
Reclaim checked bags 9 minutes after arrival

I boarded and got a seat in coach class. We got started on time and made numerous stops. I purchased and ate a cheeseburger and cookie and soda en route. I went all the way to Los Angeles as there was no checked bags at the Anaheim and Fullerton stops. We arrived at Los Angeles Union Station 3 minutes late and I got my bags and went outside and got a ride home.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Jul 9, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

WN6111 ELP-PHX 9th September 2017

Here are some pictures from the flight.
Attached Images           
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

WN3382 PHX-SAN 9th September 2017

Here are some pictures from the flight.
Attached Images           
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

San Diego

Here are some pictures of the Sunset and Train Station.
Attached Images      
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks^
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Cool. Nice seeing pictures with your reports
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
wonderful pics thanks!

Like that vac truck too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.