Reload this Page >

Four Days In Namibia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Days In Namibia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Amazing and breath taking photography. Thanks for sharing your adverture with us.
My favorite TR of 2017 thus far.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Sky Miles
Originally Posted by apodo77
Amazing and breath taking photography. Thanks for sharing your adverture with us.
I'll second that apodo77
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Amazing TR as always! TY for sharing
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Another spectacular trip report Daniel, bravo.

What's left now, a trip report into space?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:48 am

Some drone bans are legit but some are obviously silly. The rule of thumb is to get as much drone footage as you can before they get banned in more and more public places.

In Namibia, I flew my drone at Etosha NP, Cape Cross Seal Reserve, Swakopmund, and Sossusvlei.

I just came back from Svalbard where I flew my drone over a polar bear when our boat was anchored 1 mile away.

I am sure the governor of Svalbard would ban drones if every other tourist had a drone. So flew while you can.

Originally Posted by KCRYSTAL
I have been to Namibia a dozen or so times. I have asked the MET and park rangers, multiple times, for a drone permit. How were you able to obtain this? Drone flying is prohibited in all parks (some rangers actually claim all public lands). In Naukluf National Park (Deadvlei location) this is specifically prohibited on the park permit. How did you get the permit? Just by walking in the MET office (I tried that, too)?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:51 am

Another excellent report by one of flyertalk's finest! Those drone and helicopter shots are epic!!
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
It looks truly beautiful. The nearest I have been to those dunes is actually Dubai - but I guess they do not compare?
The contrast between the dunes and the ocean was amazing.
Thank you, stevie. No similar dunes in Dubai. They have some big dunes in Liwa in Abu Dhabi but I have yet to make the trek out there to see them yet.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Another great trip report. That was quite the bruising trip down; all that way from ADD in a B737 and a SAA narrow body although I am sure that the helicopter ride from Sesriem made up for it. Those dune photographs were spectacular, as were the aerial ocean photos.
Many thanks, worldtraveller73. The flight down wasn't too bad, I've had much worse anyway. Yes, the heli-trip over the coast was such a buzz. After our first pass, Harmand asked if we wanted to go lower, which we quickly agreed to.
Originally Posted by nequine
Another fantastic trip report from you Daniel!
I've read a few other TRs on trips to Namibia but you seem to capture a different side of it to those I've previously read. And your photos are, as always, amazing especially with the addition of your new toy!
Thank you, nequine. The Phantom adds a new dimension on how I can photograph things, always find myself looking for opportunities to send it up and see how it looks from a bird's eye view.
Originally Posted by apodo77
Cheers, apodo77. Next TR will be a little less scenic but hopefully still interesting.
Originally Posted by kathykathy
I'll second that apodo77
Thank you, kathykathy.
Originally Posted by snabbu
Another spectacular trip report Daniel, bravo.
What's left now, a trip report into space?
Many thanks, snabbu. My next travel goal is a little less ambitious than outer space, to visit South America.
Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
Some drone bans are legit but some are obviously silly. The rule of thumb is to get as much drone footage as you can before they get banned in more and more public places.
In Namibia, I flew my drone at Etosha NP, Cape Cross Seal Reserve, Swakopmund, and Sossusvlei.
I just came back from Svalbard where I flew my drone over a polar bear when our boat was anchored 1 mile away.
I am sure the governor of Svalbard would ban drones if every other tourist had a drone. So flew while you can.
Yes, drone laws seem to be encroaching quite a bit where you can fly. I read recently that Seychelles is considering some quite strict rules.
Stefan Sip, Looking forward to the Polar bear drone footage too!
Originally Posted by MA330
Another excellent report by one of flyertalk's finest! Those drone and helicopter shots are epic!!
Thank you, MA330. Yes, with some much vast, and unique scenery, the best place to observe and photograoh it all was up in the air.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
What stunning nature shots!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
What stunning nature shots!
Thanks, VH-RMD. Definitely no shortage of beautiful landscapes in Namibia.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:58 pm

What an awesome trip report - thank you! I'm planning on Namibia in early January with a few friends, so I really appreciate this. We'll have four-five days as well.

From your perspective, is there much point in spending time in Windhoek beyond 'stopping over' before a flight out?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makin'miles
What an awesome trip report - thank you! I'm planning on Namibia in early January with a few friends, so I really appreciate this. We'll have four-five days as well.

From your perspective, is there much point in spending time in Windhoek beyond 'stopping over' before a flight out?
Many thanks, makin'miles. There didn't be too much to see in Windhoek. My guidebook listed a museum and a church and a few other things, but nothing I felt I really needed to see.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:37 pm

It seems that the Toyota pick-up trucks with the topper are the most common rental vehicles in Namibia. Do they seat five people, or just four?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

It seems that the Toyota pick-up trucks with the topper are the most common rental vehicles in Namibia. Do they seat five people, or just four?
Yes, the double-cab Hilux fits three in the back and two up front (including driver).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:45 am

Super - thanks so much for that, as well as (another) amazing trip report: they are great (and your photographs). Add so much to the forum! Thank you!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:45 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Make sure to get the double-cab. Single cab ones only seat 2.

They have normal rental cars and honestly we would have been fine in a normal car for everywhere we visited at least, though that meant we would have had to take the shuttle to Deadvlei,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.