Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New York to Mauritius / S Africa on South African, Air Mauritius, AirLink, Rovos Rail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York to Mauritius / S Africa on South African, Air Mauritius, AirLink, Rovos Rail

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

I went to Sydney in 1986 (30 years ago); I guess it must have been better then. Traffic got a lot worse in Los Angeles, New York and Denver in that time. Seems to be like that in many places.

Thank you for the information about the trees.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:55 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow - you had a really great trip. I don't know how you planned and researched all that but it seems that you identified and stayed at some really great properties.

I concur with your assessment for The Hyatt Rosebank and the St Regis Maurtius. I've been lucky to stay at both of these places on my last two trips. The Hyatt in Johannesburg is nice thanks to the attached mall.

We self drove to Hermanus on our last trip. Aside from some great patios and beautiful photographs, we didn't stick around too much; I don't think you missed all that much that you didn't see elsewhere on your trip.

Thanks for posting.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

>>Worldtraveller>> Thanks for your comments. You are lucky to live in Vancouver. Beautiful place. A few nights in the wine country would have been nice. I screwed up on that one. Also we did not have sufficient time to visit Paarl which I would have liked. What helped me plan was that I had some great travel brochures from Swiss operators. They still publish beautiful color brochures there. Also Tripadvisor.

As to the Hyatt I loved being able to walk around in the day and even at night. Always lively. I preferred Rosebank to Stanton.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:01 am

Thanks for an interesting TR. I visted South Africa about 20 years ago, and although it's not a place I'd return to, your report brought back ​​​​​​some good memories.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:42 am
Original Poster

<<camsean" Thanks. I never saw Kruger nor Victoria Falls. So that's why I am tempted to return. But the 15 hour in coach makes me wonder, though it was bearable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.