Wiki Posts
Search

Hajj-My Journey of Forgiveness, Redemption and Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, American AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, SPG
Hajj-My Journey of Forgiveness, Redemption and Rebirth

First, let me apologize to anyone who tried to view our prior TR. We had some newbie posting issues so we are going to try this again.

FAIR WARNING:Our posts will probably be a bit long because we love to take pictures, and because we want to document the journey (hey, we are aerophiles, so what would you expect?) and the destination (because the journey is only half of the story). So, to make things a bit easier to read, we will break our reports into multiple parts including the outbound journey, the return journey and our time away.

FAIR DISCLOSURE: We operate and are the primary contributors to the website and blog TwinDoctorsTV, information that we are required to disclose per FlyerTalk rules.

We are longtime FlyerTalk lurkers and we have now decided to take the plunge and join the active community. We wanted our first TR to be unique and interesting so we figured Hajj would be a good first report. Thanks for taking the time to read it and we welcome any comments, criticism, kudos, suggestions, etc...,just be gentle because it is our first time . So, here we go.....

If you want to read the full report with all of the pics and videos that were unable to upload, please check it our website/blog here:

PART 1-THE JOURNEY TO SAUDI ARABIA:
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-my...ebirth-aprt-1/

PART 2-MEDINAH, SAUDI ARABIA:
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-jo...art-2-medinah/

PART 3-THE HAJJ PILGRIMAGE:
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-jo...n-part-3-hajj/

PART 4-THE JOURNEY HOME:
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-jo...-heading-home/

PART 1-THE JOURNEY TO SAUDI ARABIA:

FORWARD: Hajj was never something I really wanted to do.

Hajj is a required journey for every physically and financially able Muslim at least once in his or her lifetime. I have to be completely honest, while Hajj was something that I’ve always known I would have to do, it was never something that I ever wanted to do. Sure Hajj is supposed to be this great spiritual journey, but I rarely heard any positive Hajj experiences from family and friends that had gone before me. Even the stories that were presented in a positive light honestly seemed pretty dreadful to me. So my head was filled with horror stories about the crowds (2-4 million people in a very confined space), the heat (think Saudi Arabia in the summertime, enough said), the conditions which could politely be described as unhygienic and of course the occasional mass casualty due to trampling’s or fires. Disney World Hajj is not. This meant years of excuses when my better half brought up the idea of making Hajj. Sometimes finances were the excuse (Hajj ain’t cheap folks), other times family (new babies) or career (residency, starting and nurturing a new private practice, etc…) were the excuses, but the overall theme was the same: I just wasn’t ready to go. Every Hajj pilgrim leaves home with the understanding that he or she very well may not return. You’re supposed to get all of your affairs in order and stated bluntly, you’re supposed to prepare yourself for death. So the idea of Hajj definitely scared me.

On the other side of it all now, I’ve come to realize that what makes Hajj so scary is the same thing that makes it so inexplicably beautiful simultaneously rewarding. Human beings spend a great deal of our lives trying to control our destiny from big things like our education and career choices to smaller things like the route we take to work. During Hajj however, you relinquish all control and for five days you are one with God (quite paradoxically so since you are surrounded by millions). For five days you are a mere speck in the mass of humanity that has converged from every corner of the globe with the shared sole purpose of worshiping God and self improvement. For this finite period of time you have absolutely zero control over your surroundings, zero control over your activities and zero control over your fate. While this probably sounds viscerally unappealing to most folks, it quickly not only becomes okay but it becomes welcome, even for a type A control freak like yours truly. You really learn what it means to let go and let God. All of the preceding years when I made excuse after excuse to avoid Hajj, the reality was that it just wasn’t my time. Through this journey I came to realize that you will never be ready for Hajj until Hajj is ready for you. Hajj is a deeply personal transformative journey and it means different things to different people. God knows when your heart and your soul is most in need of this transformation and for me that time was now. It was time for my personal journey of forgiveness, redemption and rebirth; it was my time to make Hajj.

WHAT IS HAJJ?:

Hajj is one of the so called “five pillars of Islam” that guide the lives and daily activities of every Muslim. The other pillars are the declaration of faith to one God (Shahadah), praying five times a day to that one God (Salat), fasting during the month of Ramadan and giving charity to the poor (Zakat). Hajj in particular is the holy pilgrimage to the city of Mecca that each financially and physically able Muslim must make at least once in their lifetime. There are specific rites that pilgrims must perform on each of the five days of Hajj. The purpose of these rites is to connect the pilgrim to God, allowing him or her to bear their soul and their sins, seek forgiveness and work towards renewal and rebirth. Many of the rites recreate the actions of prophets Adam, Abraham (his wife Hagar and son Ismael) and Muhammad and they have been in existence for centuries.

OKAY, LETS GO! PART 1-THE JOURNEY TO SAUDI ARABIA......

Anyone who knows me knows two things. First, I am an unashamed aerophile. I love airplanes, I love flying and quite honestly 35,000 feet is my favorite places to be. Second, I am a bit of a status whore (sorry mom, the rumors are true). I have been known to go a bit out of my way to make sure that I keep my status in the United Mileage Plus program every year. What can I say?, I like the perks that come with status. So why am I telling you this (other than the catharsis that comes with admitting ones flaws)? Well, it meant that instead of taking a more direct route with only two flights, my wife and I took four flights to get to our first destination, the Saudi Arabian city of Medinah. We flew United Airlines from Chicago O’Hare (my home airport) to Newark and from Newark to Zurich, Switzerland. From Zurich, we flew SWISS to Dubai, enjoyed a nice overnight layover and finally flew Saudia Airlines from Dubai to Medinah. To be completely honest though, miles and status were not the only reason for the circuitous routing. When you travel to Saudi Arabia on a Hajj visa, you can only enter the country via either Jeddah or Medinah. Most folks fly into Jeddah, which means immigration waiting times can sometimes top 12 hours or more. After flying 6,500 miles over more than 18 hours, I had absolutely no interest in waiting in a hot sweaty immigration line for another 12 hours. So Medinah it was! The only somewhat direct routes from Chicago to Medinah involved Turkish Airlines who was charging $2,500 per person. This meant that I had to get creative and booked two separate tickets, one with United to Dubai and the second with Saudia to Medinah. Sure it required a few extra flights, but it saved close to a grand per person while giving the added bonus of a night to recuperate in Dubai before heading to Saudi Arabia. It just so happens that I also got my frequent flyer miles and status points. Win-win.

The first flight on our long journey was operated by N13110, a Boeing 757-200 originally delivered to Continental Airlines in November of 1994. Flight UA#4 85 took 1 hours and 39 minutes to fly the 718 miles between Chicago O’Hare and Newark Liberty airports.

We had the bulkhead seats which of course…

meant unlimited legroom. BTW, are you digging my new slip-on shoes? Admit it, you love them!, style meets comfort.

My wife and I ready for departure. She’s going to kill me because she’s closing her eyes in this picture but come on, I was looking pretty damn good, so here it is.

Our Boeing 757 pushed back from the gate at O’Hare on a nice beautiful summer day in Chi-town.

Soon we were lining up on the active runway enjoying a day with near perfect visibility.

Salaam Chicago, A powerful take-off followed…

and soon we were climbing into the wild blue yonder.

As we crossed the coastline of Lake Michigan…

I kicked back and checked out the flight map.

United’s patented Savory Snack Mix was served along with beverages. While I appreciate that light snacks have made a comeback on US domestic flights, a little variety wouldn’t kill ya UA!

As we flew eastbound, blue, blue and more blue as far as the eyes could see.

I’m sure my fellow areophiles can probably tell me what airport this is (?)

The 1 hour and 39 minutes flew by (ba dum dum….), and we were soon…

descending into Newark Liberty International airport. Surprisingly given the time of day (afternoon primetime), we were not placed in a holding pattern which meant that we were soon on the ground taxiing to our gate on the C concourse.

My artistic way of telling you that we chilled in the United Club for a few hours enjoying some light snacks. Celery and Cookies, a little yen to balance out the yang. And no!, I don't have women's hands. Those mitts belong to my wifey.

After a couple of hours, we headed over to gate C-110 where…

N69063, a Boeing 767-400 delivered to Continental Airlines in March of 2002, was waiting to take us the 3,940 miles to Zurich, Switzerland. Total flight time was a quick 7 hours and 3 minutes.

Okay fine, turn about is fair play. So here it is, a shot where she looks good and I look, well, not so good. We passed time during boarding taking stupid pics.

Economy Plus legroom on the Boeing 767-400 definitely gives you a few more inches to stretch out on longer flights. Now you know that I was eye-balling that empty row hoping for a poor man’s sleeper seat. Unfortunately people did eventually show up, so I clearly was meant to spend my night upright.

Soon we pushed off of the gate and slowly taxied to the active runway.

A couple of United 777’s, including a Star Alliance logo jet, awaiting their next mission while a Lufthansa Airbus makes its way towards the active runway.

About to start the trans-Atlantic journey to Switzerland.

Soon we were at the active thresh-hold and all of the cars and trucks in the background were out pacing us but just wait a few minutes and you’ll be eating our dust…….or diesel. And away we went, flying into a beautiful sunset.

As we flew further east, the colors became more and more striking.

Views like this are why I love life at 35,000 feet! Just when I thought the sunset couldn’t get any better, this happened.
And before anyone besmirches my good name and accuses me of photoshopping, I took a video for proof! Bam!! Well, not quite bam, I couldn't upload the video but it is on our website.

Sunset done, I turned inward for entertainment. By inward I mean that I turned to my PTV screen and not my imagination because, well, I have no imagination. Barbershop 2 or 3?, can’t remember. Either way, it was funny.

Soon dinner was served.

To be honest, the main (pasta) looked a bit disgusting but in fairness, it was actually pretty darn good.

Once dinner was done, ice cream was served along with a bottle of water for mid-flight hydration.

Sufficiently entertained, fed and watered, I plugged my phone up and closed my eyes.

One of the hazards, or perks, of living through decades (between Med school, residency and practicing OB/GYN) of sleepless nights is that I can sleep anywhere, at anytime. So, I was not surprised at all when I opened my eyes and saw that the sun was already rising. Four hours of solid sleep, yayyy me!

A typical continental breakfast was served and we were soon…

descending over central Europe…

as the sun fully rose on a new day.

Close up of the Limmat (I’m guessing) river…

as we establish ourselves on short finals for Kloten airport.

The Swiss countryside below looked quite inviting…

until a little cloud of pollution came along to mar the otherwise picturesque scene.

Almost there….

and welcome to a sleepy Zurich Kloten airport.

We passed a fellow Star carrier’s Airbus 380 on the way to our gate…

where we cozied up next to a Germania Airlines Airbus 321.

We had a five hour layover in Zurich, so why would an aerophile go anywhere else? Where am I you ask?…

The outside observation desk at the SWISS lounge of course. Bet you can’t guess who spent a couple of solid hours out there?

The views across the airfield, including the active runway, held my attention for the entire time.

Of course the action was dominated by SWISS, but United did represent with the 767-400 that brought us from Newark and a 777-200 that did the Washington/Dulles turn.

When you are simultaneously airplane spotting and eating free Movenpick ice cream, the time really does fly by. Soon enough we were heading to the gate where our aircraft was waiting to take us to the middle of the desert.

Flight LX242, a 5 hour and 56 minute, 2,965 mile journey, was operated by Airbus 330-300 HB-JHD, delivered to SWISS in June of 2009

Soon after fueling was completed…

we boarded the SWISS Airbus. By now fatigue was definitely setting in and I was more than ready to Rip VanWinkle this flight away.

My willingness to sleep this flight away was magnified by my inability to secure a window seat despite all of my efforts. I have to say that spending six hours sitting in a middle seat is a fate close to death for an aerophile. Thankfully jet lag was on my side and I didn’t wake until we well into our journey…

flying over Iran. Iran is on the short list of countries that I would like to see one day, but with the current US administration and the fragile state of US-Iranian relations, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

I slept through lunch but my wife was kind enough to wake me for the best part, ice cream.

Before long, we touched down at a very HOT (think 103 degrees at 9PM) Dubai. For some reason we were given “special treatment” by UAE immigration officials, which meant we spent an extra two hours in the arrivals hall of Dubai International airport. I suspect that it was because we were traveling in transit on Hajj visas. Eventually however, we were allowed to enter the country and after a hot, sweaty taxi ride, we found ourselves at the Hilton Garden Inn. After room service and much needed showers, we quickly fell into bed and into a deep, deep sleep.

The next day we had a 5PM flight on Saudia Airlines from Dubai to Medinah. This meant getting to the airport at 3PM. A huge part of the Hajj experience is the unknown. Sometimes checkin lines are long, sometimes they are short. Sometimes you have issues with your visa, sometimes you don’t. We didn’t want to tempt fate, so we were good little soon-to-be Hajjis, and made sure we were at that airport two hours ahead of time as requested. Luckily the lines were short and our visas were quickly reviewed and boarding passes were issued.

Bags were tagged to Medinah. The luggage of all Hajjis were tagged with special Haj tags.

Immigration was quick and problem-free and we soon found ourselves at gate D18 with plenty of time to spare. Now this is when stuff started to get real for me. On the flights to Dubai I was somehow able to fool myself into thinking that I was just going on another vacation. Who doesn’t love Dubai, right? Now however, sitting at gate D18 waiting to board the flight to Medinah, the realization smacked me square in the face; this was no vacation, I was really headed to Hajj. This wasn’t my first time going to Saudi Arabia, and I absolutely love Medinah. Somehow knowing that I was getting that much closer to Hajj however, made me really, really nervous.

Bit of a detour here, but I am a Mamba aficionado and Dubai airport was the first place that I saw a cola flavor, so I had to grab a pack before jetting off.

Boarding was called on time…

and soon we were on HZ-AS13, an Airbus A320 delivered to Saudia in October of 2009, for the 985 mile, 2 hour and 8 minutes flight to Medinah.

Okay, one more usie for the road. This time on the Saudia Airlines Airbus bound for Medinah.

A company Boeing 777-300 next to us was boarding for a flight to Jeddah.

Safety first on Saudia.

Descent legroom on this narrow body jet, I’m guessing about 34 inches.

The safety video was played first in Arabic followed by English. As we taxied to the active runway, I flipped through the Ahlan Wasahlan (Arabic for Welcome) in-flight magazine and of course I found the….

fleet page. I always skip straight to the back of any in-flight magazine.

An Air India Express Boeing 737-800 turned onto the active runway and slowly slipped the surly bonds and then…

it was our turn. Soon we were over a hazy suburban Dubai…

slowly climbing to our cruising altitude of 38,000 feet.

Once we reached 38,000 feet, lunch was served and…

it was pretty dang good. Curry fish with rice and spinach, a roll, salad and dessert.

All three cookies were good minus the date in the middle of the third one. Not a date lover so I nibbled around it.

We both made quick work of the lunch and then kicked back and relaxed for the remaining hour or so of the flight.

I think most travelers to Saudi Arabia know that the Kingdom has very strict laws, but one last warning was provided for those who either didn’t know or were unwisely considering tempting fate.

The clouds were thick as we started to descend…

into the hazy skies over the Arabian dessert.

After a smooth 2+ hour flight across the desert, we landed in Medinah just before the sun fell below the horizon (allowing me to get this great pic despite the dusty airplane window). I was once again in the city that always feels like home every time I return. Medinah was the city that gave the prophet Muhammad pbuh (pubh is an abbreviation for peace be upon him, something all Muslims say when referring to the prophet) refuge when he left Mecca and there is an undeniable peace and serenity in this city. What a fitting end to our travel journey and start to our spiritual journey.

The last time we were in Medinah (2014) they were building a much needed new airport. When we got off of the airplane, I was pleased to see that the new airport was finally open, complete with air bridges (no more stairs and buses), air conditioning and western toilets (I am still a bit scarred from the memory of getting a case of the bubble gut last time I was at Medinah airport. Thank God that I have been blessed with strong thigh muscles and good balance and as Forrest Gump said, that’s all I’m going to say about that!).

The new Medinah airport has a totally modern feel and…

my wife and I really enjoyed the unique architecture. Yup, we enjoyed the unique architecture for THREE freaking hours. Now normally three hours would be nothing to complain about when it comes to immigration during Hajj. Actually for folks flying into Jeddah, three hours would be a blessing from on high. So, why did I just yell three hours? Well, immigration literally only took five minutes. What you quickly learn during Hajj (and it is really best to prepare for this before you leave home) are what I call the four rules (or realities) of Hajj. #1 . Hajj is best described as organized chaos (even though it usually looks and feels like plain old, everyday, run of the mill, disorganized chaos), #2 . There will be a million bumps in the road but at least there is still a road, #3 . You will frequently be confused, that’s okay most people are and #4 . In the end everything will work out.

As we emerged from the Immigration hall, a man dressed in plain (i.e. non-government) clothing gestured for me to come to his desk and bring him our passports. One of the many things that freaked me out about Hajj was the fact that every pilgrim (yup all 2-3 million of them) has to give their passports to the Saudi authorities on arrival. So, when our passports were taken and thrown unceremoniously into a plastic bag (that I swear I never saw him label), I wasn’t too surprised though my inner type-A was still freaked out. I just reminded myself of rules # 1 and #4 , organized chaos, it all works out in the end, blah blah blah, when, in very broken English, he asked me for a four digit code that we needed before we would be allowed to leave the airport. I again inwardly panicked before remembering rule #3 , confusion. Anyone who comes for Hajj has to do so with a tour group approved by the Saudi government. Casual tourism just isn’t a thing in Saudi Arabia. Almost everyone flying in for Hajj flies in with a group leader who likely has this mysterious four digit code. My quest for miles meant that we were flying alone and I had no idea what this code was nor how to get it. And so I walked with this Saudi official back and forth from office to office as he explained our situation to various colleagues while my wife just sat and did, well whatever the heck she was doing, I have no idea what it was because I wasn’t with her. Eventually rule #4 did bear out and it all worked out in the end. We were given two plastic cards, which I can only assume were somehow tied to our passports, and we were allowed to jump into a taxi and leave the airport.

PART 2-MEDINAH, SAUDI ARABIA:

Check out part 2, our time in Medinah, Saudi Arabia below. For the entire text with pics and videos click the link to our website below. If you want to see some highlights, keep scrolling!
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-jo...art-2-medinah/

Our first stop was the Prophet’s mosque, aka Al-Masjid an-Nabawi, the largest mosque in Medinah and site where the prophet (pbuh) is buried. As you might imagine the Saudi heat, which is scorching year round, is especially, shall we say, attention grabbing in the summertime. Thankfully these unique, collapsible umbrellas on the grounds of the mosque were both functional and stylish. Pretty cool huh? (no pun intended, well, maybe a little pun was intended).

This beautiful green garden, known as the Saqeefah garden, is where it is said the Sahaba (companions of the prophet) gathered after his death to determine who the next khalifah (religious leader) would be. Unanimously Abu Bakar, who had been the prophet’s closest and most loyal companion, was chosen. While I found this green space to be a nice respite from the otherwise ubiquitous tan landscape I couldn’t help but wonder how many gallons of water were used yearly to keep this desert oasis so lush and green.

If you want to know how hot Saudi Arabia in the summertime is, here ya go!

Being in Medinah, one of the two holy cities, we tried to pray all five of the daily prayers at the Prophet’s mosque. This often meant braving the crowds that, at the time seemed crushing, but were nothing compared to what we would encounter later during the actual Hajj.

Masjid al-Qiblatayn.

PART 3- THE HAJJ PILGRIMAGE

Check out part 3, the Hajj pilgrimage below. For the entire text with pics and videos click the link to our website below. If you want to see some highlights, keep scrolling!
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-jo...n-part-3-hajj/

Me in the Ihram (traditional male dress for Hajj and Umrah). If it just looks like two plain white towels that is just what it is. No socks and no undies, just two towels and your birthday suit.

Laugh if you will, but we wore these N95 respirator masks most of the time we were out and about. While a big part of the pilgrimage is being one with the people, I definitely did not want to be one with the people’s germs and most definitely didn’t want to be one with their Tuberculosis. You can see the Kaba (the cube shaped building covered with the black cloth) in the background. The rites of Umrah, and many of the rites of Hajj, are centered around this building and the actions of Abraham, his son Ishmael and his wife Hegar. The Kaba was the first house of worship in Islam and it was built by Abraham and Ishmael on God’s order. This is the direction that all Muslim’s face when praying five times daily and the first part of the Umrah involved circling this building seven times, a process known as Tawaf.

Once Umrah was complete, I had to trim my beautiful locks. So, American sensibilities thrown out of the window, I just picked the cleanest looking barber shop. Looking at these warnings signs, I guess my experience could have been a lot worse. None-the-less, venturing into the autoclave-less barber shop caused my type-A heart to skip a beat or two. As a childhood survivor of barber induced Ringworm (pray for me, I still have nightmares), I had to put the bad thoughts out of my mind and like Nike says, just do it. So I did it and not only did I survive the ordeal, but my barber actually gave me a really nice ear massage at the end, though it admittedly got a little weird when he stuck his fingers deep into my ears. Oh well, when in Rome….errrrr….Mecca, I guess. After such an intimate experience, I felt compelled to give my barber (and new ear massaging friend) a healthy tip.

Worshipers on the day of Arafat.

The last step of the Hajj was to end where we began. On day 5, after the third and last time stoning the Jamarat, we made our way back to Masjid al Haram where the Kaba and the mountains of Safa and Mawrah are located. We once again did the Tawaf (seven circuits around the house that Abraham and his son Ismael built).

Final Tawaf and Sa’i finished and my Hajj was officially complete. I had come full circle from my initial fear and apprehension to gratefulness and a new sense of purpose and self. I was officially a Hajji (the term given to men who have completed their Hajj, Hajja is the term given to women who have completed their Hajj).

For the last time, I kicked off my well worn Hajj shoes, put them in the corner and left the empty room behind, walking into the world now as Hajji Idries.

PART 4-THE LONG JOURNEY HOME:

Check out part 4, the journey home. For the entire text with pics and videos click the link to our website below. If you want to see some highlights, keep scrolling!
http://www.twindoctorstv.com/hajj-jo...-heading-home/

Our journey home was a bit more direct than the route over. We flew Saudia from Jeddah to Dubai, Lufthansa from Dubai to Frankfurt and good ole United from Frankfurt to sweet home Chicago.

Soon climbing the airstairs boarding HZ-ASW, an Airbus A321 delivered to Saudia in April of 2013, for the 1,058 mile 2 hour and 47 minute flight to Dubai. I am very partial to Saudia’s livery, there is something about the tan, gold and green that make an awesome combination.

Soon we were flying high above the Arabian desert enjoying a quickly evolving sunset as we flew east towards Dubai.
Our first stop at DXB was the transit counter where we received boarding passes for the DXB-FRA and FRA-ORD legs. From there we went to Lufthansa’s contract lounge for some free vittles and wifi. The two hours passed quickly and soon it was time to go to gate D2 to board Lufthansa flight LH631 for the 3,014 mile 7 hour flight to Frankfurt. Tonight’s flight was operated by D-AIKH, an Airbus A330-300 delivered to Lufthansa in January of 2005. Little did I know that I would be taking this same plane a few months later from Frankfurt to Lagos.

I love Lufthansa but I had to give the burned waffle and apple compote they served for breakfast, they were as bad as they looked. Soon we were landing in Frankfurt and after spending a few hours spent napping and snacking in the Lufthansa lounge, we made our way to the Z gates where United flight UA945 was boarding for Chi-town. Today’s 4,336 mile flight was operated by N223UA, a Boeing 777-200 delivered to United in August of 2001.

A lot of fatigue and honestly a little bit of depression caught up with me and I slumbered until we were about 30 minutes out of Chicago. As we crossed Lake Michigan heading eastward the shoreline came into view. Almost home. Being on the starboard side of the plane we did not see downtown but we still got some nice views of the North Shore.
As we crossed the shoreline I heard the dull thud of the landing gear being deployed.
Attached Images           

Last edited by twindocstravel; Jul 13, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
I'm enjoying reading about this so far, and usually I zone out on the TRs without photos

Will you be embedding photos in your future posts, instead of including them as attachments? I didn't mind so much clicking over to the photos, but it interrupts the flow of the story you're telling. Either way, I'm keeping an eye out for the next part!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I just figured out how to embed my photos so I'm going to re-post the report with pics!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Nicely written report and lovely to see something different!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
very well written and i can see this as a very interesting report. Looking forward to the next posts
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: FT
Nice. Read your full report. I had heard about those getting the really nasty upper respiratory tract infections and I don't blame you for the masks. I've always considered it unfortunate that non Muslims can not visit some of those sites. Well, not officially.

your accommodations look better than some that I've seen.

I've also been astonished at the cost. It strikes me as a little opportunistic by some that arrange the same.

is there any type of regulation by the local government?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Finally figured out how to add pics!! Hope it wasn't too wordy without images.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:34 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Awesome TR, I couldn't help but check out the rest on your blog. Organized chaos indeed.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
twindocstravel this is a wonderful trip report, and I can not thank you enough for sharing. I am a huge fan of the movie Le Grand Voyage, and feel very lucky to have gotten a look inside your Hajj.

A belated welcome to Flyertalk, hopefully you'll become a regular ^
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:02 am

Thanks for sharing. Earlier this year I did Umrah and of course it was much less crowded. And in February, it was much cooler.

What happened to your passport after you gave it in Medina? The bring it to Jeddah for you? I think I hold my passport all the time, but not sure for Hajj.

The official queue for Indonesian unfortunately is as long as 20 years for hajj in some province. Hope I can go there for hajj in my lifetime.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you so much for sharing your amazing Hajj journey, twindocstravel! It gives me, a non-Muslim, a vicarious look at the Holy places, and of course it adds to my education and awareness of Islam.

As I occasionally visit a local masjid or community center, this gives me a new view of the Hajjis and Hajjahs I encounter there.

A 2008 study, "Estimating the Impact of the Hajj: Religion and Tolerance in Islam's Global Gathering", conducted in conjunction with Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government, is also revealing as to the effect of Hajj on many. For those interested, the article has recently been released as an Acrobat Portable Document Format / PDF that can be downloaded here.

Malcolm X, an American civil rights activist, said of his Hajj:

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and the non-white. America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought patterns previously held."

I'll look forward to reading how the Hajj affected you, and of course further trip reports.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Yes thank you for this I have wondered about Hajj for a while (non-Muslim also) and so this was quite informative, and a great report and pictures too.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:23 pm

Thanks for sharing OP. On top of sharing something so beautiful and personal with all of us, it takes many hours (if not days) to put together such an extensive trip report, and I for one greatly appreciate all of your efforts.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:50 am
SSZ

Programs: EK EY 9W
Assalam Alaikum Wa Rahmathullahi Wa Barakatuhu Hajji Idries, I enjoyed reading your trip report where you have documented your spiritual journey enlisting your fears and anxieties which one always experiences before Hajj. May Allah accept your and your wife's Hajj.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Really interesting and well written.
Thank you for sharing your journey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.