Amsterdam, Israel, and Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam, Israel, and Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:46 am
Community Director Emerita

Your pictures are so evocative of place. Thank you.

Will you need to check the bullet necklace on the way home? I've heard of the TSA confiscating them.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Your pictures are so evocative of place. Thank you.

Will you need to check the bullet necklace on the way home? I've heard of the TSA confiscating them.
Thank you and funny you mention that. My son packed it in his carry on and it was confiscated. We showed them that it was an empty casing, but it didn't matter. Fortunately my parents left a week later and brought one home for him in their checked luggage...luckily they managed the 75% off deal too
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
Your photos alone tell such a story.

I'm really enjoying your trip report and am looking forward the next installment - thanks for sharing it with us!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: FT
Nice updates. I remember watching the movie Hotel Rwanda. I then since realize the UN has some seriously circumscribed power to actually do what it should be able to do. I don't think there is an easy answer. I also did a lot of research into the same after I saw the movie and it was actually a very good depiction of the issues. That's the problem with any war, no one wins.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:02 am

First of all Mazel Tov on your son's Bar Mitzvah. Second of all, the trip looks amazing. Enjoy and thanks again!...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Excellent trip report - you're telling a great story. Great photos. I've always wanted to visit Israel. Congratulations on your sons Bar Mitzvah...
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:36 am

Amazing that you got so close to the border (and action) with Syria!

Looking forward to the final installment.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
DanielW - its not that amazing really

there is a lot of unrest in the border zones all the time, its been going on for many years - and I am guessing that it will go on for many more.

My visits to Isreal have included taking to the shelters as rockets are being fired, and sadly these facts are not often reported in the western press which seems to be very pro Palestinian.

Personally I am all for truth in the media, as I know that both sides have their issues and sometimes they are not dealing with them the best way possible.

We have policiticians in Australia who are advocating that Palestine be given Isreal. White Anglo Saxons of the Green persuasion.

I am not sure how a country will peacefully give up their land to an enemy.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by adampenrith
DanielW - its not that amazing really

there is a lot of unrest in the border zones all the time, its been going on for many years - and I am guessing that it will go on for many more............
I'd suggest this is getting a little into OMNI territory. In fact I am certain of it and there is another side but that is for OMNI.

We don't need to have TR full of OMNI.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Its actually about the journey - the TR had comments about fighting - the moderator made reference to it - but if the mods think my comments which are learned about the situation where the OP travelled to should be removed - then I guess the Mods will do that
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Again, thank you to those who have posted kind words about the Bar Mitzvah and the trip report itself. Though I have my own opinions about the conflicts in this region the purpose of the report is to give a taste of Israel to those who have not had a chance to experience its culture and beauty first hand or for others who may be interested in visiting or those who have been and appreciate having their memories refreshed...next installment to be posted shortly.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Part V: Our Final Days in Jerusalem
We set out for a day trip to Masada, Ein Gedi, and the Dead Sea. We actually would have considered walking to the top, but it was clearly too hot by the time we got there and the snake path was closed. The air conditioned cable car was more than welcomed.

This is the view from atop Masada. You can see the Dead Sea, the Roman outposts, and Jordan in the distance.

Israel is full of such fascinating history. In LA, anything older than 1930 is considered ancient.

Such incredible views. We were boiling at this point and were excited to head to the falls of Ein Gedi.

Rather than embarrass my family, I'll embarrass this random dude. The falls were a little disappointing. The hike is easy, but on such a hot day you had to line up for five seconds in the falls. I would skip this.

The Dead Sea is absolutely amazing! It's not just that you can float due to the high salt content. You must float! It's difficult to stand because you are being pushed to the surface of the water. Also due to the high salt content, even the smallest cut on my finger really hurt.

You do not want to get this salt in your eyes

You have to be careful because you can easily fall deep into the water with one wrong step

I discovered a way to ease the pain from my finger

The return from the Dead Sea marked the end of our six day tour with our guide and driver

Bar Mitzvah day!

There is an area of the wall by Robinson's Arch where men and women can pray together. This is where many conservative Jews choose to have the Bar Mitzvah. We were one of at least 10 simchahs going on at the 9am slot. Though busy and crazy it was kind of nice to celebrate with so many other happy people surrounding you.

Each group had their own little area

Trying not to overshare, but I am one proud pappa. He did great!

One obligatory family shot

Or two? And just like that, the highlight of the trip came and went

Later that afternoon we headed to Hezekiah's Tunnels. Took this shot in the cab.

This is an absolute must do! You walk through a long tunnel in complete darkness with water that goes as high as your thighs at points. Wear a bathing suit and bring a flashlight. It was so much fun to walk through this water system that dates back to the time of the prophets. It will not disappoint.

This shot doesn't tell you much about the tunnel, but I had to share something

And finally for the day, we walked the old city and viewed the amazing light show that is displayed throughout. They do this nightly every year around this time. The buildings come to life!

Also recommend the light show at David's Tower. You have to pay for this one and need tickets in advance. Photography was not allowed during the show. When this area lights up it is magical.

The morning of our final day in Jerusalem we went to Yad Vashem, the Holocaust Remembrance Museum. This was so well done. I was concerned it would be the same as the one in DC. That clearly wasn't the case. Our group had a private tour guide and she was a wealth of information with fascinating and somber stories. The museum itself is built so you can see the end of the light from the beginning, but you have to cross back and forth from room to room of exhibits before you can reach it.

The Children's Hall was very powerful. It is a dark room with five lights that mirror into 1.5 million lights to represent the children murdered by the Nazis.

That afternoon we headed to Mahane Yehuda Market. That place is a madhouse just before Shabbat. Everyone is getting what they need for dinner and the next day.

Our flight to Paris was the next morning at 8am which means a wake up call at 4am for the drive to TLV and the heavy security inside the airport.

Up next, we conclude with the final chapter, Part VI: 22 Hours in Paris

Last edited by greg0ire; Jul 13, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Alamo Insiders, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold
Really interesting TR and some great photos. Israel is definitely on my 'to do' list.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Final Chapter
Part VI: 22 Hours in Paris

Thanks to some creative scheduling, I managed to squeeze in 22 hours in Paris before arriving in LAX. The older boys started sleep-away camp only two days after landing back home.
We arrived at CDG a little after noon. Though we checked our bags all the way through to LAX we decided to check into the Hilton Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport first and drop off our carry-ons. CDG has a free train to an area where many of the airport hotels are located. The Hilton is very pretty (for an airport hotel) with a large atrium.

At that neighboring train station, we bought tickets for a 40 min ride into the city and began our walking tour. We started at the Notre Dame.

You'd think it was the leaning tower of Notre Dame from this picture

So cool to be here only days after visiting the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. The architecture is so gorgeous and grand.

I feel like I'm back in Israel with this kind of security

After a nice lunch, our first stop brought us to Pont Neuf. Though it'll probably share the same fate as ones taken down at Pont des Artes, we added our lock to the thousands of others.

Next stop on the walking tour is the largest museum in the world, the Louvre

We didn't intend on going in since it was now 5:30pm and they were beginning to clear out the rooms, but my wife somehow with her superpowers convinced them to let us in and see the Mona Lisa.

We continued our walk along the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe

I stopped in the Four Seasons with probably the most touristy question. I asked the concierge where he'd recommend an amazing croissant at this time of day (it was close to 7pm). As I was inside, my wife had a paparazzi moment when she snapped a picture of Kendall Jenner. All the celebrity rags had identical shots.

Last stop was the Eiffel Tower in all of its glory

The lines to go in were insanely long so we settled for pictures

Still hoping LA gets the Olympics first

We took the train back to the hotel and rested for our journey home the next day.

As it turned out, the flight back to LA was on July 2nd, our 17th anniversary. So technically, we had a 33 hour long celebration on top of the world however 11 hours of it were being spent in a tin can hurtling through the sky at 500 mph. This picture was taken in the barren upper deck lounge of an Air France A380.

We landed back at LAX and our amazing, memorable trip was over

Thank you for reading and coming along for the ride!
makin'miles likes this.

Last edited by greg0ire; Jul 14, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Indeed interesting with great nature and culture but also sad moments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.