Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Airlines Vancouver to Hong Kong Inaugural in business class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong Airlines Vancouver to Hong Kong Inaugural in business class

This is my second inaugural trip report for the week and I have the fortune to fly Hong Kong Airlines’ new long-haul service from Vancouver to Hong Kong, and the return was a normal flight, but I will report on it since it is a new flight. Hong Kong Airlines, with the strong financial support of its mother company Hainan Airline Group, has been very aggressive on its growth for the past few years, especially Cathay Pacific is suffering from a rough patch. This Vancouver launch is definitely an aggressive move and it is clear that North America is going to be the focus point. Vancouver is just the beginning and three additional A350s arriving later this year will definitely mark another growth spur. I also sort of want to put the politics aside (and yes, I hate Jackie Chan and was happy that he did not make any speech, which prevented any gaffe). While I feel that the money invested in Jackie Chan’s salary can perhaps use in better catering and in-flight amenities, Jackie Chan will provide the much-needed name recognition in the North American market. Jackie Chan in some way is a recognizable name here and the gossip about his personal life and his political orientation has never made it here. This inaugural party was a success and I was happy for both YVR and HX team in pulling off a great celebration. While it is still not SQ or Virgin America’s level, it is definitely better than CX’s sometimes subdue inaugurals. Jackie Chan will certainly bring headlines to many local Vancouver and Canadian papers tomorrow. Back to the service, HX has to use these A330-200s for now and the business class suites, while dated, still have direct aisle access. The hardware including the entertainment programs is weak, but the software is good. The highlight of the trip is the service provided by some top-notch crews. Their flight attendants are friendly and personable. While it is clear that more senior and experienced groups of F/As are operating these long-haul flights, they sort of bring much passion to the service that is missing from Cathay Pacific and Dragon. I still don’t think HX is a major threat for now, but both AC and CX need to keep an eye out. When the new A350s arrive with a brand-new cabin and better amenities (perhaps copied Hainan Airlines), Hong Kong Airlines can provide an affordable option especially in the premium cabin.

Full Album Link:
Outbound YVR-HKG
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...KG%20Inaugural

Link to notable local press articles
http://vancouversun.com/entertainmen...30-jackie-chan
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ines-1.4186957

Good explanation why some folks found using Jackie Chan a controversial move
https://www.biv.com/article/2017/6/h...tnership-jack/

June 30, 2017
HX 81 YVR-HKG Lv1210 Arr1650+1 Airbus A330-200 B-LNJ

Booking:
One of the weakest aspect of Hong Kong Airlines is its website, which is just difficult to use. While booking the tickets is relatively easy and you can now select seats too, you can “manage” your booking afterward. You can’t access the full record, even as a Fortune Wings Member. However, I am quite grateful for the online chat function but some agents had poor English written skill. You have to read through the Chin-glish or google translate. For this ticket, I have to use yayama because they were the only one still had the discounted business class seats. Subsequently I chatted with someone online to get the seats and to enter my Fortune Wing Number. I actually asked for a printout but it was not available.

Check-in:

Hong Kong Airlines uses Swissport as their ground agent here in Vancouver and Gate Gourmet provides the catering. They used the space next to Air Canada’s international economy check-in area. It was a very busy day especially the queue from Air Canada actually spilled over. The agents here spoke fluent Cantonese, English, and Mandarin, and lots of staffs from both HKG and YVR were here monitoring the situation. There was a queue manager and she was very helpful. Two HX F/As were passing out gifts to inaugural passengers and I think only J passengers got the full bag, while Y got some postcards.

Jackie Chan’s promotional stuffs – I guess HX is forced to buy a bunch of its merchandises.

There were separate queues for business class & elite passengers, online check-in, and full-service check-in. The wait was quite long because it was the first day. The staff was very apologetic. Unfortunately, my pre-booked seat 16A was gone, and I was unhappy. I was actually happy that I checked in earlier than normal because the agent literally told a fellow agent to stop the “standby.” The agent managed to find me 17H, which was not ideal, as it was next to the sky bar and mid-galley. The agent also tried to attach a transfer tag, instead of priority tag, to my bag. I had to say something because I did not want my bag to be transferred. This was their first day so I did not blame her. Things were actually quite disorganized and I guess this is just the consequence when airlines outsource their ground services these days. One of the HX supervisors immediately asked for a duplicate copy of my boarding pass and she would try to make sure that they got me a window seat for the return to Vancouver. I am happy to report that HKG check-in desk had no problem seeing my original assigned seat, 16K. I don’t know what happened here. Either the supervisor fixed it or something happened at YVR. I doubt we will know the truth.

HX Counter

Lounge:
Sorry no report on the lounge, as I went straight to the gate for the special celebration. However, I can report that Hong Kong Airlines, unsurprisingly, uses Plaza Premium Lounge here in Vancouver. Plaza Premium really needs to expand its space especially with all these new Chinese carriers are flying into Vancouver now.

Gate:

Hong Kong Airlines used gate 65 today and when I arrived, they were setting up the stage.
There was a Hong Kong theme here and HX hires the “Tap Snap” to take pictures of guests with a HX background. They printed out some copies but also gave you printouts too. It was a nice touch.

Food wise – it is Hong Kong themed with Baked Pineapple BBQ Pork Bun, pan-fried Japanese dumplings, and of course Hong Kong style waffles, which are called “mini eggs.” These mini eggs are also staples of Hong Kong Airlines’ Club Bauhinia in HKG.

Cupcakes

Soon B-LNJ arrived in YVR and here was a series of photos. Not the greatest, as the windows were not in great conditions and the light did not work in my favor. There was a water canon salute but the gate did not allow any view of this event. You can refer to the newspaper articles.

Please note the Canada 150 sticker. Hong Kong Airlines is the official international airline partner of the “Canada 150” celebrations in Vancouver.

The big anticipation is the arrival of Jackie Chan, but of course many dignitaries have to make their speech including consulate staffs from the PRC, Hong Kong tourism board representatives, BC Minister of International Trade, Teresa Wat, Craig Richmond, CEO of YVR, and CMO Chief Commercial Officer George Liu.

Rumble at YVR – another great promo made by Craig Richmond, CEO Director, challenging Jackie Chan

In the end, there were no rumbles but of course, Jackie had to make a few moves.

There was a “chop board” ceremony but I did not see it. But here was the evidence of a “rumble”.

Here is a link to the photo:
http://www.richmond-news.com/news/ja...yvr-1.20863562

Then they exchanged gifts – Jackie gave Craig a white martial arts jacket and Hong Kong Airlines provide a captain uniform to Jackie.

I have to say that it was a nice celebration here in Vancouver and was much better than I have expected. Craig, the CEO of YVR, seems to be doing his job right in bringing more airlines to YVR. He played his part well. BTW, he was also on the inaugural HKG-YVR flight with Jackie Chan and George Liu.

Media time: CMO George Liu speaking with press

Crews arriving at gate – they flew in two days ago (and I overheard them saying that they flew on AC!)

Nearby planes
Air China Boeing 777-300ER to Beijing

Air Canada Boeing 787-9 to Tokyo Narita

Boarding:
There were basically five different zones here and they were all well-marked. One of the staffs went around the gate area warning passengers that boarding would begin soon. At 11:35am, business class passengers were invited to board.

Down the jetway

A familiar cabin

Business class was full and economy was almost full with only 30+ empty seats. As I was eavesdropping from the SKYBAR, there was a huge family with many children in J that was heading to Bali tonight. So even HX has to rely on the connecting passengers and maybe that is a hint for them to release more connecting fares. In some ways, I sort of wish that Hong Kong Airlines flies to Singapore, as I overheard a number of passengers asking the F/As if HX flies to Singapore and why not! Of course, HKG-SIN market is so saturated now but if HX can start a once daily HKG-ICN flight, it can consider a daily HKG-SIN flight that will work good with the YVR and future North America flights.

My seat 17H – not a great choice – last in everything and next to SKYBAR and I was overhearing two PRC passengers talking now. Okay for a daytime flight but not good for the overnight segment.

Economy Class cabin – Yellow headrest cover means “extra legroom” seats and Purple headrest covers are regular seats.

Evian water and headsets in the cabinet

Pre-takeoff slippers and newspapers – Vancouver Sun is the only Canadian English selection

They also passed out orange juice and water, but I forgot to take a picture.

Boarding went pretty smoothly but cargo loading was a bit slow this afternoon, as expected. The staffs kept us informed about the slight delay but with a shorter flying time of twelve hours and forty –five minutes, we should arrive early, which will depend on ATC traffic control.

We pushed back at 12:28pm.

Spotted a few interesting planes – including this Air Transat’s A330 arriving from Paris CDG
It was waiting for our gate.

China Southern Airlines’ Dreamliner

China Eastern Airlines’ A330-200

Air North landing

Lining up in R/W26L

We took off at 12:54pm.

Beautiful day here in Canadian West Coast

Today’s routing took us along the Canadian coat, passing Comox, Port McNeil, Suquash, Port Hardy and Bull Harbor before reaching 34,000ft. Then we passed Chiniak, Alaska, and then gradually climbed to 38,000ft before passing Iwaki and Utsunomiya, and then climbed to 40,000ft before passing Toyota, NGO, Kochi, Sukumo, Kagoshima, and then Makung in Penghu Island, Taiwan.

Entertainment:
J passengers still got its own personal TV. The movie selection is typical, but the television selection is weak. There is no sitcom at all and most programs are Chinese. It is just bad. There is only streaming entertainment option too. Economy class got the iPad Minis, as these three A330-200s used on the YVR routes do not have personal televisions in economy. I am sure someone in the management regrets not putting back the PTVs, when they reverted these all-business-class A330s into a regular two-cabin A330s.

Magazines – Aspire, HX’s own in-flight magazine with two duty free catalogs – one typical and one for “home delivery” service

Seats:
For business class, they are still lie flat “suites” with individual access.

Power outlet

Seat Control Panel and removable headset

Personal Lamp & Literature pocket

Another literature pocket but you can’t fit anything here except safety card or the menu

Shoe Storage

Seat in “reading” mode

Seat in full flat mode

Seat in full flat mode with bedding – you got a nice thick pillow and soft duvet (but too short). You are flying to North America now and your passengers will be taller.

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Part II

Meal & Beverage:
Here is where HX needs to work harder.
Here is the menu – both in photo and I also transcribe it.

Dynasty Restaurant, Vancouver

Warmed mixed nuts

Lunch served shortly after takeoff

Starter
Side Salad [Mesclun with grape tomatoes and cucumbers]

*Prosperity Canadian smoked salmon rainbow toss
[Shredded vegetables with smoked salmon tossed with a spicy hoisin sauce topped with crispy wanton skins]

Main Course
Grilled Beef Tenderloin in butter herb sauce, roasted herb potato wedges and seasonal vegetables

Or
*Steamed cod fish flavored with preserved olive, egg fried rice with sweet corn
Or
Cheese and spinach cannelloni with marinara alfredo sauce

Dessert
Rich chocolate cake

Or
Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream bar
Or
Cheese Plate

Selection of Breads
Tea and Coffee

*Dishes designed by Chinese Master Chef Sam Leung and Dim Sum Head Chef Garley Leung, Dynasty Seafood Restaurant in Vancouver

Mid-Flight Snack
A selection of sweet and savory snacks is available at the SKYBAR.
Alternatively, please ask the cabin crew at any time if you would like to enjoy one of the following mid-flight snacks.

Tortilla Wrap with roasted vegetables

Or
Chinese braised pork belly with steamed bun
Or
Cheese Plate

Refreshment
Served Prior to Arrival

Starter
Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Main Course
Roasted Cajun Chicken breast strips with penne pasta in a pesto cream sauce and seasonal vegetables
Or
Stir fried scallop, asparagus and lily bulbs, with steamed rice and seasonal vegetables

Dessert
Blueberry cheese cake

Selection of Breads
Tea and Coffee

Champagne
Gonet-Medeville Blanc de Noirs Premier Cru Brut NV, France

White Wines
Charlotte Street Chardonnay, Southeast Australia
Luis Felipe Edwards Family Seleciton Gran Reserva Sauvignon Blanc, Leyda Valley, Chile

Red Wines
Charlotte Street Cabernet Sauvignon, Southeast Austarlia
Luis Felipe Edwards Family Selection Gran Reserva Merlot

Spirits
Smirnoff Vodka Red Label
Gordon’s Dry Gin
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Glen Moray Classic Single Malt Whiskey
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Remy Martin XO Cognac

Port Wine
Sanderman Ruby Port

Beer
International Selection

Hong Kong “Yum Cha” Culture
“ESSENSE”
Baiyaqlian Oolong Tea
Hubei Steamed Green Tea
Imperial Pu-Erh Tea
Golden Tip Red

YVRBC_2017_HMHRC3_V1

Beverage service with warmed mixed nuts

Starter – now they used the cart for more efficient service
It was a nice attempt to create a special dish, but smoked salmon was bit on the salty side for this dish. They typically use salmon sashimi, but I know they want to feature a famous Canadian product.

An additional salad course – good touch

Breads – four kinds to choose from – wheat rolls, French rolls, olive rolls and garlic bread
I used the garlic bread to eat the salmon appetizer to lessen the saltiness.

Main course – still served in a casserole dish - pre-plating is almost a “must” these days

Dessert – only “choices” and there is no cheese & fruit board.
However, the chocolate cake was delicious. YVR kitchen has some great chocolate cake dessert.

While the quality was good, the quantity is a bit lacking. They need to add a proper fruit and cheese course now. It does not need to be a trolley service but it should offer a comprehensive fruit and cheese plate. A good business class product nowadays need to be four courses, along with individually platted main course. You need to be better than CX so that is a good direction.

The mid-flight snacks are really bad and these items are a bit too “hip. Pork Belly buns are not authentic Chinese dish and more like a hippie fusion food. The tortilla wrap was too foreign for Chinese passengers, but I had it. It was okay but I think I prefer a warmed ham and cheese sandwich or a warmed Chinese wrap. I am also surprised that there is no “noodle” dish or “dim sum” dish, which is standard these days. Economy class has cup noodles and in the end, many J passengers ordered the cup noodles from economy class. Someone really dropped the ball here.

Light meal – about two hours prior to landing, the F/As turned on the light. The meal was served over two courses and there are more breads offered including garlic bread.

The fruit bowl was fine.

Unfortunately, the main course failed miserably as the scallops did not survive the long journey. It looked good on paper but in the end, over-cooked scallops are never good ideas for an in-flight meal.

The Blueberry cheesecake was okay.

I had better light meal on my Cairns to Hong Kong flight a few years ago. They should go with simpler dishes such as noodle soup or things like lasagna, or even a fried rice/noodle dish.

SKYBAR
One of the leftover relics from these all-business-class A330-200s is the SKYBAR, and now they are back in full usage. I still think HX can use it more, but there was a basket of snacks and fruits out there, along with the flight’s full alcohol selection. The F/A told me that one person has to station here at all times. I like this formal bar setting so you get to chat with crews and get a nice place to stretch your leg. But I suspect the new A350s won’t have this feature. However, you can enjoy it now.

Magazine selection
I love the Mueller’s cover.

Flight Attendants
To me, the highlight of the flight was the crews, who were friendly, and I had some wonderful conversation in the SKYBAR. I sincerely thanked the whole team serving business class and in the SKYBAR. They were simply exemplary. I was addressed by my last name throughout the flight and they were constantly refilling beverages and asking passengers if they wanted snacks. I just hope the snack selection was better. As I said earlier, there was a big family with several children running around. Unfortunately, one of the little ones had an incident, and the F/As handled the situation with ease and grace. The head F/A put on a face mask and gloves, along with disinfection spray, and cleaned up the seats with little noise. Hong Kong Airlines may not be perfect in many things, but most of the F/As are friendly and personable. They might not be the matriculate like CX or SQ F/As but in terms of sincerity, they are good.

Descent soon began at 4:08pm Hong Kong local time. These days, ATC congestion is pretty much a daily occurrence but today it was alright. We more or less went straight into Hong Kong.

The F/As also took the opportunities to thank passengers and I got a hand-written card from the J class team.

Nice day in HK

Here is a reservoir – here is how HK people get their fresh water, along with purchasing water from PRC too.

Almost there…

Gear was down at 4:45pm

We landed on R/W25R at 4:49pm, and taxi was long today. There were so much congestion, but good of plane-spotting.

For some reasons, we did not park in the Midfield Concourse, which is Hong Kong Airlines and Hong Kong Express’ main base now.

Here is our parking spot – S108

We finally parked here at 5:10pm.

The arrival arrangement was quite chaotic as HX assigned only one agent to handle the arrival. I felt bad for this guy and of course, there was no separate premium class bus here in HK, as bus gates are unusual rather than norms, except LCCs, which are mostly mono class operations anyway. I honestly don’t mind buses but hate when they tried to squeeze. For a LCC, it is more or less expected but for full service airlines, you should be able to hire a few more buses. At the same time, of course you got to see the plane up close. I don’t think photography was allowed in HKG (someone can correct me) but that agent was busy enough.
[When I told the crews on my HX80 flight that we had a bus gate, they were very surprised.]

HX has some major baggage delivery issue when it first moved to the Midfield Concourse. One time, it took an hour to deliver my bag, and subsequent visits did not yield better results – 40 minutes. But since we parked close to the main terminal, bags started to arrive at 5:30pm – 20 minutes after parking. However, the YVR team messed up the priority baggage loading. It was fine since it was their first day. Plus 20 minutes was a win for everyone anyway.

Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Part 3: HX 80 HKG-YVR July 2 2017

Card from F/A

July 2, 2017
HX 80 HKG-YVR Lv1230 Arr1010 Airbus A330-200 B-LNL

Album Link:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ca...KGYVR07022017J

There are currently three A330-200s equipped with the all-suite business class and economy class with no PTV: B-LNJ, B-LNK, and B-LNL. They were basically acquired back then when HX started its short-lived London Gatwick all-business-class flights and that’s why there is an onboard bar on these three planes. I think HX has just acquired another A330-200 but you really don’t know what kind of seats they will have. I hope it will be the suites version, so there is a fourth plane that can be used if LNJ/K/L breaks down. Anyway, I have been tracking the movement of these three planes, and I am happy that B-LNL was used because I official flew all three 33Vs. This is purely an aviation geek thing. Anyway B-LNL was used on a roundtrip redeye/overnight flight to Bangkok, and was well rested here before the noon duty to Vancouver. B-LNJ, the plane that was on the inaugural flight, went to Shanghai after arriving in HK from Vancouver. B-LNK was used on the second day of Vancouver service.

B-LNL:

Check-in:
Hong Kong Airlines uses Aisle K, which is on the opposite end of Cathay Pacific.
They have a nice cozy business class check-in counter, and the three staffs were stationed there. There was no wait, and the gentleman in the middle checked me in. He verified that I had pre-booked 16K and things went better this time.

Business class check-in

Economy Class – you will be asked to use the kiosk or encourage to do online check-in so you can just go straight to the baggage drop off queue.

Lounge:
Hong Kong Airlines, despite basing its operation in the Midfield Concourse, still operates the lounge between gate 23 and 25, and the new Midfield lounge is way behind schedule, and there is no opening date.

Club Bauhinia – need to walk down stairs or take elevator

Currently, many airlines, including American Airlines, use this lounge, and I presume if HX opens the new Midfield Lounge, HX will continue to operate this lounge for these airlines or someone will take over this place. The lounge was becoming a bit small these days, but today was okay. Their food choices are very Hong Kong style – congee, dim sum, custard bun, fried noodles, and turnip cake, as well as stir-fried vegetables. There is a salad bar with actually good sandwiches, along with fried fish sticks, sausage, hash brown and a food bread pantry. There is a kitchen with ordered food. HX has improved its breakfast offering now – you can order eggs and macaroni in minestrone soup.

One of the five remaining old-style weighing scales in HK

The internet was reasonably fast, but I like the view best.

Aeroflot Boeing 777-300ER

Midfield Concourse:
HKG opened this new Midfield concourse because they are running out of gates. Hong Kong Airlines and Express use most of the gates, along with some LCCs, such as Air Asia and Jetstar, but also some major airlines, like Lufthansa, Turkish Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Jet Airways, and Malaysia Airlines. They have A380 equipped gates over here.

Future Club Bauhinia Lounge in the Midfield Concourse

Jet Airways Boeing 777-300ER

Jet Airways Airbus A330-200

Austrian Airlines’ Boeing 777-200ER

Boarding:
Boarding began really early at 11:45am, especially the plane was here. These days many airlines really tried to get out early because of ATC issues.

Gate 214

The only male F/A of the flight, Jaden, was greeting passengers at the door.

Business Class cabin again – full eventually

Original seat 16K

Moved to 17H to accommodate a family

As usual, bottled Evian waters and headsets…

Choice of beverage – iced lemon tea, orange juice, or water
I chose Iced lemon tea

Amenity kit - HK theme – Hong Kong Tram is featured here.

Around 12:10pm, 20 minutes before departure time, there were some commotion, as three passengers were missing. Five minutes later, they were off-loaded. The lesson here is that HX takes the 20 minutes deadline seriously. Don’t be late and yes, you need to allocate extra time to get to Midfield Concourse.

Door was closed at 12:22pm, and it was a busy day.

KE 777-300ER

CX A330-300 to Bangkok

Another Hong Kong Airlines’ A330-200 B-LNF – going to Denpasar/Bali this afternoon

Then the heavy rain came – no pictures…

We finally took off from R/W25L at 1:13pm.

Climb out

The routing today was pretty straightforward – Taiwan, Japan and straight across the Pacific Ocean and heading into Vancouver. We passed Zhangmuwen and then climbed to 31,000ft. Then we climbed up to 35,000ft and then passing Taoyuan, TPE, and Yangmingshan National Park. We headed towards Japanese cities of Kuroshima, Ibuski and Nichinan and then settled in 39,000ft for the cross across Pacific Ocean. We did not see ground till passing Tofino and then Nanaimo, and then into YVR.

Catering: Food was slightly better on this sector and the Asian/Chinese selection made more sense.
Here is both the photo of the menu and the transcript:

Lunch
Starter
Side Salad
*Vegetarian Goose Wrapped in Bean Curd Sheet
[Not a good translation here – it is basically a vegetable roll wrapped in bean curd sheet with a soy sauce based sauce)

Main Course
Navarin beef with mashed potato and seasonal vegetables
Or
*Deep Fried Chicken with lemongrass, ginger and preserved mandarin orange peel with steamed rice and seasonal vegetables
Or
Braised pumpkin and oyster mushroom in Hoisin sauce, with taro egg fried rice and seasonal vegetables

Dessert
*Chilled pomelo and osmanthus pudding
Or
Haagen-Dazs Ice Cream
Or
Cheese Plate
*Dish Designed by Chef Leung Fai Hung, Hoi King Heen of InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong

Selection of Breads
Tea and Coffee

Mid-Flight Snack
A selection of sweet and savory snacks is available at the SKYBAR.
Alternatively, please ask the cabin crew at any time if you would like to enjoy one of the following mid-flight snacks.

Cheese and tomato calzone
Or
Pan fried Pork Loin and onion Deep Fried Chinese whole wheat bun
[Hong Kong style Pan Fried Pork Loin with Onion Sauce, accompanied by a deep fried Chinese whole wheat milk bun]
Or
Cheese Plate

Breakfast
Served Prior to Arrival
Starter
Seasonal Fresh Fruit
Fruit Yogurt

Main Course
Ratatouille quiche with baked beans, roasted button mushrooms and seasonal vegetables
Or
Stir friend Jiangxi rice vermicelli with shiitake mushroom, carrot and bean sprouts in soy sauce, Assorted Chinese Dim Sum
Or
Banana crepes with mango compote
Or
Light Option
(Fresh fruit, fruit yogurt, corn flakes)

Selection of Breads
Tea and Coffee

Champagne
Gonet-Medeville Blanc de Noirs Premier Cru Brut NV, France

White Wines
Charlotte Street Chardonnay, Southeast Australia
Luis Felipe Edwards Family Seleciton Gran Reserva Sauvignon Blanc, Leyda Valley, Chile

Red Wines
Charlotte Street Cabernet Sauvignon, Southeast Austarlia
Luis Felipe Edwards Family Selection Gran Reserva Merlot

Spirits
Smirnoff Vodka Red Label
Gordon’s Dry Gin
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Jack Daniel’s Black Label
Remy Martin XO Cognac

Port Wine
Sanderman Ruby Port

Beer
International Selection

Hong Kong “Yum Cha” Culture
“ESSENSE”
Baiyaqlian Oolong Tea
Hubei Steamed Green Tea
Imperial Pu-Erh Tea
Golden Tip Red

2016HKGYVR_HMBHC3_V1

Gin & Tonic and warmed nuts

Lunch service was more or less okay. The appetizer was a bit bland and it was not what I expected. They need to use more seasoning and more vegetable fillings. The salad was very fresh though and I could not determine what the dressing was – maybe French dressing. Breads were good and I like the black sesame multigrain Kaiser rolls.
The Chef-designed entrée was good but it really needs some sauce. It makes sense to use fried rice as an accompaniment, unless they can provide more sauce on the side. The chef-designed dessert was also pretty good. I still think they need to use a better casserole dish with more portion of the protein and less carb, as well as a formal fruit and cheese course. The F/As finished the meal service before we left Taiwan.

Flying along Taiwanese West Coast

Mid-flight snack was better but still no noodles. I tried the local Pork Chop bun.

Last edited by Carfield; Jul 2, 2017 at 8:13 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion

SKYBAR
Here is once again where the F/As shine. It is sad that A350s will not have these bars. They have a F/A stationed there, who was friendly. They were all excited about this trip because it was their first visit to Vancouver. I showed them pictures of the inaugural flights and then had some friendly chat about my hobbies and their work.

The snack basket features apples, pears, Lay’s chips, Joe & Seph’s Popcorns, toblerone chocolate bars, and peanuts.

Economy passengers got different snacks but basically no brand name bags of nuts, Kit Kats, and cookies. The F/As told me that they don’t have menus in economy class but they each receive an amenity kit with toothbrush set, eye masks, and socks.

17A and 17H are just not good seats, as the F/As kept on walking back and forth, and then there is a locker right beneath the magazine rack. Plus, it is a mostly daytime flight so folks kept on talking in the bar. I don’t blame them, but I just could not get a deep sleep. Avoid these seats at all costs.

Breakfast was served about two hours prior to arrival. There was a juice and hot towel service, and the two-course breakfast was much better than the pre-arrival light meal I had the day before. The first course featured a fruit bowl, a strawberry yogurt, and then a breadbasket featuring coconut Danish, blueberry muffin, and croissants. For the entrée, there were three choices (and then a fourth light option), and I got the noodles and dim sum option. The dim sums featured today were siu mai – steamed pork dumpling with mushrooms and a kind of shrimp and preserved vegetable dumpling.

Descent soon began at 9:18am Vancouver local time.

Along the Nanaimo’s coast

Landing at R/W8L

Busy Sunday here in YVR with many planes

We parked at gate D54 at 10:01am!

Goodbye to B-LNL

The immigration and custom hall was actually not crazy but with my NEXUS card, I was the first one waiting at the baggage claim. The first bag showed up at 10:19am but priority tags did not work at all. Bags just came out in random order.

FFP:
One of the weakness of flying Hong Kong Airlines is the lack of a good FFP. Fortune Wings Club (unsurprisingly FFP of its mother company Hainan Airlines) is your only option now. Plus I want to warn you that some of the business saver fares actually earn no miles. I used expertflyer to double check now. The main issue is that HX has a "Z" fare out especially on one way flights between HKG and YVR.
While they are not cheap, Z fare is not eligible for earning any miles. While emailing their customer service is not that bad, they don't always understand my concerns and my questions. So just a head up! Find out the fare basis before booking the ticket... sometimes even some of the fares may not earn miles.

In conclusion, Hong Kong Airlines has some work to do, and despite their relatively lower price, there are still minor things that they can do. Serving simpler dishes for the pre-arrival meals possibly save them money, and stocking some instant noodles instead of some awkward calzone or tortilla wraps will save them money. The current suites are fine and I actually love the SKYBAR, which will unfortunately be cut on the new A350s. Hong Kong Airlines just files a preliminary nonstop flight between HKG and LAX this past weekend, so I have a feeling that Vancouver might be stuck with A330-200s for a while. I hope my feedbacks will help Hong Kong Airlines prepared the meals on these ultra-long-haul flights better, and they need a more substantial meal and better midflight snacks. Given how successful this inaugural flight is, I am definitely interested in the new LAX inaugural flight.

But I just want to reiterate how great the crews were on my flights and they are definitely some of the nicest F/As I have come across. These long-haul flights and the SKYBAR allows some interesting conversations. I don’t know if I am going to go out of my way to do the YVR flights, but with the new LAX flights and the affordable fare in business class, I am definitely going to give the LAX flights a try. I hope you enjoy this trip report.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Jul 20, 2017 at 6:00 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Great TR! Finally got a taste of how HK Airline's long haul service. It's too bad that I'm stuck with AC's fairly crappy service on the HD aircraft....
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow..

It seems HX is an OK airline - quite surprisingly for me...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:23 am

Looks like you had a fairly nice flight. I'm looking forward to the LON flight they will apparently launch in 2018. Should bring direct prices down a bit.

HX is not that bad at all when you consider that they are usually significantly cheaper than Cathay. I once flew on a route cheaper in HX business than it would have cost in CX economy.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Awesome TR, thank you for sharing. I don't know about others but that was my first look at HX - looks good ^
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Great report! I'm amused that you got a Jackie Chan branded ruler in your inaugural gift bag, who comes up with these things?

Overall looks pretty good
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Great report thank you. What alliance is this airline with?

The food looks very good indeed.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
I flew HX back in 2013 from HKG to PEK in their A330. The seats were lie flat in business with a 2-2-2 configuration. The service was attentive but it may have had something to do with the fact that J was not full. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your kind comments.

About the Jackie Chan's ruler, Jackie Chan is Hong Kong Airlines' ambassador, so it is possibly part of the deal to promote his movies and company. I left them in my hotel room in HK because I am no fan of him.

Hong Kong Airlines is part of Hainan Airlines Group. They used to have their own FPP, but now they they are just part of the Fortune Wings Club family. While Hainan Airlines and other PRC airline members have switched from a distance based system to a points/$$$ spend based system, HX actually maintains the distance based system. I guess they want to be more competitive. As I said in the report, they might want to give AS a call and join the mileage plan, but AS also has CX as a partner. Anyway, they need a US FPP partner if they truly want to succeed in the long term.

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.