First Trip Report: Off to Sudan to see Kush Pyramids at Meroe in February 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I love unusal country trip reports.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:37 am

Great trip report and pictures.

"I never leave home without a handful of passport photos, especially to 3rd world countries."

However, I think the term "3rd world countries" is a bit archaic and "developing nation" might be more appropriate.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
very impressed with the pictures. thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:58 pm

I always wanted to go to the Sudan as my great grandfather lived there. Great pictures. Thank you.

I thought it was dangerous. Can one receive an invitation from a travel agency or one would need to travel on an organized tour which are very expensive. I don't know anyone there.

Last edited by Bretteee; Jun 13, 2017 at 4:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I always wanted to go to the Sudan as my great grandfather lived there. Great pictures. Thank you.

I thought it was dangerous. Can one receive an invitation from a travel agency or one would need to travel on an organized tour which are very expensive. I don't know anyone there.
I found Sudan to be very safe and its people very friendly. It was not even overly religiously strict.

Visas can be hard to obtain, but local hotels can issue invitation letters for a modest fee.

Cost is very reasonable, but since the infrastructure is poor, don't expect SE Asia type of pricing on tours.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:45 am

A great adventure in Sudan, Stefan Sip. Love the aerial shot of the Pyramids too.
Originally Posted by mike&co
I'm sure Danielw will be along soon to add his comments. In fact, the drone option might well appeal to him for his next adventure
Some aerial photography from Seychelles and Namibia coming soon. hauteboy posted a photo of my Phantom in his recent TR too:

Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
As for flights in and out of KRT, TK, QR, and ET all fly regularly into Khartoum.
Interestingly the flight duration for DOH-KRT has recently doubled from just over three to almost six hours due to the need to avoid Saudi airspace!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
I had a solider point a gun at me for walking (just walking) too close to some government buildings. It was late at night so I couldn't see any signs or road block preventing me and I do not speak Arabic to understand his initial commands.
That´s what doesn´t make it to a "normal" vacation-spot.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:29 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Great pics! I visited Meroe in late Dec 2013. Would love to get back to Sudan someday, but the visa process was a PITA.

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Some aerial photography from Seychelles and Namibia coming soon. hauteboy

Namibia and Seychelles are some of my favorites places as well. I had my drone while in Namibia, but I did not own one when I visited Seychelles in 2013 and 2015. I also regret not having a drone while visiting Salar de Uyuni (Bolivia), Israel, Jordan, and New Zealand,
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:44 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:34 am

Thanks a lot for this quite unusual Trip Report !!
Would it be possible to get some infos about the company which arrange your tour/stay in Meroe ?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlyerCDG
Thanks a lot for this quite unusual Trip Report !!
Would it be possible to get some infos about the company which arrange your tour/stay in Meroe ?
I used Raidan Travel & Tours, located in Khartoum city center, on El Gamhuriya Ave, across the street from Qatar Airways. They can arrange all sorts of tours in Sudan.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BA silver
Great report, and photos! Thanks for sharing. Since you asked for feedback, I think a couple of photos of the food (even the inedible stuff!) and maybe hotel interiors would round out the report and give a more complete impression of your experience.
A bit OT, but there is an impressive bronze portrait of Augustus that was found in Meroe a century ago that you can see in the British Museum:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o..._augustus.aspx
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yhm71
Great report, and photos! Thanks for sharing. Since you asked for feedback, I think a couple of photos of the food (even the inedible stuff!) and maybe hotel interiors would round out the report and give a more complete impression of your experience.
A bit OT, but there is an impressive bronze portrait of Augustus that was found in Meroe a century ago that you can see in the British Museum:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/whats_o..._augustus.aspx
I did not know about the Augustus bust. Thanks for sharing. As for your feedback, since these trips have taken place, I did not take those photos in the first place, so I am by no means blowing off yours/others constructive feedback, but I just don't have the content to share. In some places, I do have a few relevant photos, which I post.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - thanks for posting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.