Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

ARN to TLV on BA including New CE Catering, The First Wing and Air Force One!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Having spent the last three days in this beautiful building, the Gustavianum Museum at Uppsala University, I’m heading soon to Arlanda airport on my way back to TLV via LHR on BA.

The trip is relatively short yet features some novelties like the new catering on BA’s Club Europe service, an overnight stay at the Hilton Garden Inn just outside LHR, the new First Wing at LHR Terminal 5 and (alas) Air Force One.....

The American president will land in TLV two hours before BA165 is scheduled to arrive so nobody knows what will happen but I do hope to be able to take a picture of this rare bird. Moreover, it is not quite clear how much time it will take me to get back home as many roads are going to be blocked. Who knows, I might have to take the long way home and hop on the train from TLV to JRS

So, check out this live mini Trip Report as it unfolds today and tomorrow.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 3, 2017 at 4:17 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 7:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Wow, sounds promising! Looking forward
Old May 21, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Looking forward to the report!
Old May 21, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

To ARN

It takes only 18 minutes to get from Uppsala to the airport on the local commuter rail. I went to pick up my luggage from the Elite Hotel Academia where I've stayed and as you can see the hotel is literally just outside the station.

And by the way, this hotel, that only opened some weeks ago, is a great place to stay if you visit the beautiful town of Uppsala.

The train departed from platform 3 and it is overall the most convenient way to the airport although it is not cheap; the ride costs 183 SEK (=18 Euros)

The way from the train station to terminal 2 is by no means short. There are corridors, endless corridors along the way, but some nice views makes the trip somewhat less bitter.

And finally - the promised land

Security was very busy but fortunately I was able to choose the queue-less option

I remember reading it is not the most easy task to find the lounge - well it isn't. But after some time I was able to find it somewhere at the back of a restaurant

Interestingly, the lounge has a window just over security and by the time I got there, there was no one in line

The lounge is nice, no complaints, although the hot buffet was closed 10 minutes before I arrived... Oh well, this is what the new Club Europe catering is for

That's all for now...

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 3, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: Various
Glad you liked Uppsala. That's where I went to university.

It's indeed a very long walk from ARN T5 to T2. I like T2 anyway because its small size makes it very easy to navigate.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:14 am
Original Poster

ARN-LHR

The way from the lounge to the gate took more time than I’ve expected because of the queue for immigration and then priority boarding of nearly half of the passengers This queue however enabled me to take a picture of this peculiar sign:

I took my seat at 1F and everything from that moment was perfectly uneventful. You could tell that the aircraft (A320) was new as it shined all the way through and indeed it was: G-EUYT, delivered to BA just three years ago.

Cabin crew was very good and the service prompt and professional. Now, I’m not the right person to discern all of the changes to the catering in Club Europe, BA’s business class product on short haul flights, as I barely fly SH with BA, let alone in J. The one thing I can say is that it was not very much different from my experience in Club World on the TLV-LHR route that I do frequent, and in a good sense (and the TLV flight is approximately double the flight time). The food was presented well, the cutlery was nice as were the glasses and cups. Also, I liked very much the wine selection and service.

I order the VLML meal so I cannot comment on the regular service but I did take a photo of the printed menu. The starter (Tofu, Couscous salad and lentils, and some more vegetables), the deserts (chocolate cake) and the bread were really good. My only complaint concerns the main dish (and it is after all the MAIN dish) – it was penne pasta with tomato sauce not properly heated and not any different from any economy pasta I had in the past (not the BA offers free or hot food on its SH Y flights anymore…). All in all, a very enjoyable flight.

More soon.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 3, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Had also good experiences in the past with the Club Europe Vegetarian meal.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

A Night at the Hilton Garden Inn Hatton Cross

I don't usually get to LHR at night so it was an unusual sight to see Flight Connections closed and dozens of people queueing at the UK Border

The "main attraction" that night was the Arsenal U18 squad

Fortunately the eGates were working properly and despite the masses I was on my way to the Tube in no time.

The only time I slept outside LHR was a year ago when my flight to SFO was cancelled; BA sent me then to the Holiday Inn on the M4 which was okay but involved taking the Hotel Hoppa bus from and to the airport; this was not a nice experience at all. For that reason I was looking for an hotel that can be reached by the Tube, and the Hilton Garden Inn at Hatton Cross stood out as the best option. It is only a two stations ride from T5 and located a five minutes walk from the station. I made sure to take the backdoor entrance from Hatton Cross station, make a left turn and down the road until the backdoor entrance to the hotel.

For the 66 pounds I paid this was a great hotel (and much better than the Holiday Inn mentioned above) and the pictures on the wall made sure I will remember where was I

In less than six hours I will make my way back to LHR T5.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 3, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Had also good experiences in the past with the Club Europe Vegetarian meal.
^

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Glad you liked Uppsala. That's where I went to university.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:36 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Great report so far, thanks. That Hilton Garden Inn has become my firm favourite now. The Hoppa has such a terrible late night schedule that its basically useless, so being by a tube station is great. Its also very convenient if you're planning to travel into or out of London.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TCD
Great report so far, thanks. That Hilton Garden Inn has become my firm favourite now. The Hoppa has such a terrible late night schedule that its basically useless, so being by a tube station is great. Its also very convenient if you're planning to travel into or out of London.
Yes, could not agree more. BTW for the strict money-savers there is a possibility going to this hotel from LHR (and back) on local bus for free; see here for example.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

The First Wing

5:00 - My alarm clock wakes up

5:05 - I wake up

5:10 - I'm forcing myself out of bed...

5:11 - A glance from the window - there's light

5:25 - Checking out and walking to the station. Now I see how beautiful it is

5:35 - I'm back in LHR T5. Unfortunately the tube station is at the opposite side of the glamorous First Wing...

5:40 - Heaven's gates

The First Wing is a genuine enhancement; I passed by here three days ago on my way from TLV to ARN and even though I went land-side in order to pass here it was much quicker than going through south security fast track (as I used to do in the past) and definitely faster than going through Flight Connections. Everything is really swift, private and calm and you land straight in the Galleries First lounge. So here are some pictures I took at the Wing.

The check-in desk (as I was traveling HBO I didn't use it):

First BP check (BA):

Second BP check (Security):

Screening area:

The First corridor:

Welcome:

The First Horse:

6:00 - Breakfast Literally sixty minutes after my alarm clock went off. Impressive ^

Up next:

pacenotes likes this.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 3, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
uuurggghhhh - early morning wake up calls.

But thanks for the heads up on the hotel. Might be useful in the future.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
uuurggghhhh - early morning wake up calls.

But thanks for the heads up on the hotel. Might be useful in the future.
My pleasure
Old May 24, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice to see! Now they must do something with Concorde room

Last edited by offerendum; May 25, 2017 at 6:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.