Search

Loganair Orkney Inter Island service

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Loganair Orkney Inter Island service

Orkney.

The little group of islands just off the coast of the North of Scotland, but a world away.

I love Orkney. I am very lucky because my brother lives there, so I get to visit all the time.
The place is steeped in history, from the prehistoric Skara Brae, Tomb of the Eagles and Maeshowe (don’t even start me on the ongoing excavations near the Ring of Brodgar) to the magnificent St. Magnus Cathedral to the wonderful Italian Chapel, the Churchill Barriers and the block ships sitting as memorials to the war.

St. Magnus Cathedral:

I do love Kirkwall

One of the Churchill Barriers, with a block ship visible.

Orkney, for us aviation fans, is also the home of Loganair Inter Island. Two Britten Normal Islanders fly from Kirkwall to Eday, North Ronaldsay Papa Westray, Sanday, Stronsay and Westray. Eagle eyed viewers may recall that the between Westray and Papa Westray is in the records books as the shortest scheduled flight in the world.

From the Loganair website, here is one of the little ‘planes that flits across the sea to the islands

Sadly, the flight between Westray and Papa Westay was fully booked (I was trying to book their special ‘sightseer’ fare of £45 but this is only bookable on the day, as you basically are taking up a seat on a lifeline service.

However, there was availability on the Kirkwall - Sanday - Stronsay - Kirkwall flight. This flight would take 41 minutes including touch downs at Sanday and Stronsay. I didn’t have particularly high hopes for this but I was wrong - the scenery was spectacular, and we were at such low altitude you could see so much from the air.

I booked my ticket at Kirkwall Airport, so when I returned for the flight the booker recognised me and said ‘That’s you checked in now’. Here was my ticket:

Kirkwall Airport was as quiet as you might expect, with a few arrivals and departures.

Loganair are removing the Flybe livery from their ‘planes in preparation for operating under their own name again.

About 15 minutes before the scheduled departure, we were asked to go to Gate 3 at Kirkwall Airport. There is no formal security check for these flights and Gate 3 is part of the main airport.

As I boarded, the captain mentioned that there was a ‘Sightseer’ passenger on board, so ensured that I had a window seat.

The views were stunning, and this was a side of Orkney I knew existed but had not seen.

The airport at Sanday

A few passengers disembarked here and an equal number boarded. I had to lean forward in my seat, pull the back of the seat forward so that they could get in behind me.

Look at that beach! Sorry about the ‘boomerang’ - I don’t think my iPhone understood what the propeller was doing!

Stronsay Airport

The village of Whitehall, on Stronsay

More Orcadian beaches

A block ship

Each landing was so smooth, and I commented on this to the person beside me. The Captain overheard and said ‘Total flukes. I hope you’re not expecting the third landing to be smooth too?’ - but of course it was. 

All in all, a wonderful experience, wth a good natured captain, lovely passengers and amazing views. Next time I will do Westray to Papa Westray!

Last edited by Sealink; May 13, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old May 12, 2017, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Wonderful pictures!!
Old May 13, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Great pictures & trip report. But you forgot to mention the crown jewel of Orkney, the Scapa distillery!
Sealink likes this.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Now with added video!
Old May 13, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Wonderful pictures!!
Agree completely.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 13, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Sealink
I do love Kirkwall
Understandable!
Sealink likes this.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
cool trip report. We visited the Orkeneys for a weekend back last year, but we didn't even head to Kirkwall. The highlight for us may have been visiting Hoy, and the hours of stories from the lonely guy working at the old fortifications over there.
Old May 13, 2017, 3:36 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing. Don't forget Stromness, it is also a nice town.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Fantastic photos you got from the air!

I finally got the pleasure of visiting Orkney last June after wanting to visit for many a year and I wasn't disappointed... although I would have been had I slept in late and missed the poppies on St. Magnus Cathedral! I literally got there with minutes to spare before they started dismantling them to take them to Perth.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Reminds me of a great holiday my Wife and I took to the Scottish islands in the late 1980's. British Airways had a special for non UK-residents; 8 flights for GBP200. All flights on the BA 'budgie' and we made a stop in Wick en route to Orkney and later Shetland - Sumburgh. We also went to Benbecula and Stornoway. BA also flew between Glasgow and Aberdeen, where we overnighted before heading back to LHR.
As it was August, we drove around the islands well into the night as there was almost midnight sun. We saw the Sullum Voe oil terminal at 11 at night, but still in daylight.
One of our best holidays and actually (then) on our back doorstep.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

The Orkneys are wonderful. However they are slowly being destroyed by tens of thousands of tourists from cruise ships...

Even a story of them going into St Magnus Cathedral during a funeral and taking selfies with the deceased.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Sealink
Even a story of them going into St Magnus Cathedral during a funeral and taking selfies with the deceased.
Normally this shouls earn them a set of hot ears
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:23 am
LHG

Programs: AS MVP Gold and hotel status through their credit cards as needed :)
We are going for the first time in July (a week for our 35th anniversary). Staying on Mainland and have a rental car with no set agenda. Can't wait.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ Lovely pictures, great report as always
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
^ Lovely pictures, great report as always
And I included the trip back to Kirkwall in the same report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.