Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RwandAir's new business class on A332 Dubai - Kenya - Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
A 18 min taxi ride dropped me off at the modern looking platform!

Smoking area far far away

Upgrade works, expected to end mid 2017, will see the international airport accommodate bigger aircrafts (777 and 747). Despite having only domestic destinations at the moment, new routes linking Entebe, Kigali, Arusha, Mwanza and Juba are also viewed as possible through the airport. On completion it will become the third largest airport in the country.

Was not expecting SP lane at such remote airfield

Operators

The feeder flight from Kisumu with Kenya Airways was a rather simple affair. Unlike NBO and MBA, the compulsory security xray is located inside the terminal to access the CI desks. Once airside, a sign invited "First and Business class" passengers to go upstairs but the area was cordoned off for refurbishment. The lounge should be completed next month! It did not affect my overall judgement as prices were moderate at food outlet where I bought a bottle of mineral water for my pills.

The jerseys of Kenya's best football teams : Gor Mahia Fc (green) and A.F.C Leopards (white and blue stripes)

A Kenya Airport Autority staff handed over a survey to fill, before boarding was called without priority for family nor disabled travellers.

A few things could be improved

KQ657
Kisumu - Nairobi
13:55 – 14:45 (0:50)
13:50 – 14:45 (0:55)
E190 5Y – KYT
Seat 12A – Economy

The Cabin Crew and check in team dressed in new and unique wear specific for the route.The entire customer facing team at JKIA domestic unit and the Cabin Crew on the Mombasa flights will wear unique polo shirts with a coastal theme to distinguish the Mombasa shuttle from the usual KQ uniform.
Launched in 2010, KQ got a good idea to extend it to the entire domestic network.

The casual attire on domestic routes

Prolonging goodbye for more minutes

KQ ads and a Just For Laugh video showed as IFE

On Kenya Airways internal routes you get a choice of soft/hot drink and Tusker lager beer!

Standard offering on a 50 min flight

Nairobi

graveyard

Surprisingly, no birdstrike was reported on that day !

New T2 serving low cost carriers. (for Avgeeks, do not not miss FlySAX Fokker F-28 reg 5Y-EEE and East African DC-9-10 5Y-XXA while they last)

Another airworthy DC9 - 5Y-AXP (to Somalia though)

Never heard about them

Once landed, visiting the office of the station manager could only confirm the reliability of Pride of Africa concerning my missing luggage. At that moment a familiar face appeared inside the terminal as I was not 100% sure I refrained from greeting this "special" passenger!

The windowless domestic Simba Lounge, on the small side, is perfectly fine for a 15 to 30 minute wait.

Quite dark lounge Simba Lounge at Terminal 1 Domestic Nairobi

Capacity limited to 30 seats

The same nice bunch of crew operated on this Mombasa Shuttle service down to the East Coast. A steward confirmed with many smiles what I thought initially that the pax at seat 1A was KQ's former CEO Titus Naikuni – now on a revenue ticket as working now for a mobile operator.
Flight was short and sweet with splendid views on to the island of Mombasa, What a relief when the black suitcase arrived on the reclaim belt.

KQ608
Nairobi – Mombasa
15:50 – 16:50 (1:00)
15:55 – 16:50 (0:55)
E190 5Y-KYT
Seat 12A – Economy

Precision Air

Jubba Airways

The Island of Mombasa

Seasonal French visitor

Many thanks Kenya Airways

For this short stay, the easiest idea was stay as close as possible of the airport, so online the Folks Inn at 5 min only by taxi won my business. For EUR 27 per night, you can not expect much but a good security. Nicest hotels require (without traffic jam) from half hour, if in town, to up to 1h driving if on the seaside. But not that time. Don't worry, you can read one of my most recent vacations in Mombasa (Nyali International Beach Hotel and Spa) here:
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=978719

Less than EUR 30 per night

Outside the Folks INN...

Is only what I got to see in Mombasa this time
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Now time to go to Kigali for celebrating and partying all the week end long!
Although the hearty breakfast was not memorable, the receptionnist saved my life as the taxi driver from the eve did not show up at the Folks Inn nor bother to pick up the phone to answer my numerous calls – what an a**hole! The area doesn't not seem very touristy so it could have been a nightmare to find an option on your own!

At 9:30 am the lady moved heaven and earth to make sure MOI airport would be reached on time. I profusely thanked her and promised her to greet her on my next visit to Mombasa Luckly 25 min later her cousin dropped me at the international terminal where I gave him kes 250 tip on the top of the kes 500 for taxi ride!

Dolphins

At CI counters KQ friendly agents dealt with my booking stipulating that only seats in coach class were left. Well...how is it possible? When she got the e-ticket number everything was solved quickly which allowed to have a wee casual talk about KQ mostly and WB with those ladies as no other clients were waiting in line!

Int'l & domestic departures share the same hall

At the first level an KAA employee checks BP to direct you either to the immigration booths (quiet on that day) or to the departure lounge if you travel domestically.

Nowadays, MBA feels almost like ghost town following the Kenya travel warnings in 2011 released by many western countries forcing many tour operators, travel agents and duty free shops to close business. What a pity for a such lovely country even if I do understand security concerns for citizens in developped nations. Hope it's going to pick up as soon as possible especially when you consider that KENYA has met the threshold required for a category one airport status for direct flights between Nairobi and the US some weeks ago!

There were some monkeys inside the terminal back in 2011

Heading upstairs

Looking down at the immigration booths (left)

Totally deserted

KQ staff at CI told me the lounge would be at the same location as my last back in 2014 at the mezzanine upstairs. It welcomes charters, KQ's flights to ZNZ/DAR, TK, ET and RwandAir premium guests. What to think about it? Humm it got from bad to worse, probably the crappiest lounge ever visited in Africa. First of all it was unattended so nobody to check the eligibility, provide the wifi password, or ensuring the well being of passengers. Let the pictures do the talk :

Not even a working coffee maker or kettle

After half an hour by myself, I quited this place to purchase some gifts and other duty free items (BTW, surprisingly most shops do accept Amex...) and ask an airport employee if this was the correct lounge and why on earth it's impossible to have even a cup of hot drink! She told me that due to a function on the domestic side she could not be at both place at the same time, as 11 am does not represent a busy moment in this part of terminal, her boss obliged the international customers to take care of themselves!

let's check what's so vip about them?

No comment!?!?

It must work perfectly somehow

When boarding started ( no priority call), a few passengers incl myself got confused about the direction to take to reach the aircraft. Some turned right and went downstairs to walk under the building until facing the mighty beast, while myself walked across the jetbridge up to the end, went down and enjoyed a stroll on to the busy apron.

Short, medium, wide

Last souvenir?

WB303
Mombasa – Kigali
11:40 – 12:20 (1:40)
11:35 – 12:15 (1:40)
A332 9XR-WN
Seat 4A – Business

Newest slogan

Near the aircraft, another snap of the good looking beauty but a RwandAir staff firmly but calm told me Please remove the battery Sir in what i've obeyed but switching off the camera as his intentions were not clear enough.

Indeed when the cockpit crew came into the blower to announce that refuelling was completed, I inoncently believed that WB crew meant to reduce fire hazard with a camera ( possible with a mobile for sure).

Load factor in J appeared very encouraging with a 6/20 incl 5 pax from DXB. Cabin crew were the same as 3 days ago because the Welcome back Sir, glad to see you onboard again with made me feel at ease straight forward. Simple but good job!

Hot towel

PDB

Old slogan

Take off video :

Mombasa Air Safari

KQ605

ET322

Port Reitz

Mombasa

During climbing, an ultimate picture of the overhead bins saw the rush of the WB staff urging once again to remove the battery. Ok that's a clear message now even if I tried to ignore this stubborn robotic attitude for the rest of the flight. Why?
Cuz if i had read carefully Inzozi's RwandAir magazine well before (during the DXB-KGL for instance), the editorial from WB's CEO could have proven him that he did not do justice for his employer/airline...
Consequences of his behaviour were terrible as the landing video was not stabilized ... ;-)
The lunch was not overwhelming. Strange to get a hot meal on the KGL-NBO but cold sandwich on this longer leg

Car seat belt

After this photo I got warned a second time to remove the battery but...

CEO himself strongly advises to take pictures and share them online

Cold beef ( or chicken) sandwich

One of the 3 or 4 glasses before landing...

Video of landing at Kigali :

Winglet

Lake Mugesera

Rwamagana Solar Power Station

Kimironko suburb

No paxbus when disembarking, glad the weather was ok, a short walk to the terminal very crowded due the midday wave with services from Entebbe, Jo'bourg, Dar/JRO and Nairobi just landed too!

If Entebbe and Nairobi airports do a great job with a dedicated lane for East African Citizens, usually much faster, Kigali has yet to catch up its delay as it only offers an APCS ( Automated Passenger Clearance System ) for nationals already registered, extremely convenient as used several times in the past. Unfortunately, my passport renewed last year prior the flights (at the Rwandan Embassy in Paris), denied me this access. So I queued like a mere tourist lol and because all lanes were so packed, the officer who recognized me immediately suggested to process this formality on a quiet day at the airport.
Before some nationals like Canadians, Germans and British did not need visa to enter, unfortunately for them now they must apply online and pay the usd 30 visa on arrival !

Terminal at the arrival side, notice the majority of Toyota vehicles ;-)

Most of the upmarket hotels, tour operators offer free transfers, cabs to town cost a flat rate of Rwf 5000 (Eur 6) if you go to Remera/Kimironko/Kanombe areas or Rwf 10000 ( Eur 12) anywhere else within Kigali. Since the 27th African Union Summit, a schedule airport shuttle operates hourly (9 am to 19 pm) for only Rwf 1000 nonstop to the new – safe – bus terminal in the city center near the Institute of the Statistics.

Grand Pension Plazza near Nakumatt

Kiyovu Hill from Kimihurura umwembe

The long awaited Marriott Hotel

Mount Kigali in the background

The house with the cross is going to get demolished

Traditionnal Rwandan Specialties: goat skewers and zingalo kebab

Akabenz na matoke (fried pork with banana chips)

View from the one and only hotel with rooftop pool and restaurant: the new Ubumwe Grande http://www.ubumwegrandehotel.com/

The world famous Hotel Des Milles Collines
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The Airport is really "special", but the product looks fresh and nice.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA Explat, HHonors Diamond, PATCO81
Terrific trip report, flying_blue_white_red! Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Lovely report, thanks for sharing.

It's been a while since I was in Kisumu - the airport has changed a lot! I can't find photos of the old airport on my laptop, but it was nothing like this!

Kigali is a great city, had a very enjoyable weekend there while I lived in Uganda.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Meh
Wow interesting report thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Excellent trip report!!!!!!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:40 am

I had friends who lived in Kisumu. Now I know what it looks like. Rwanda Air looks great.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
The Airport is really "special", but the product looks fresh and nice.
Thank you again for commenting Offerendum,
Indeed, before it was (worse) a sort of calmar like terminal, hopefully in 3 or 4 years the new Bugesera International airport will be completed

Originally Posted by PTK346
Terrific trip report, flying_blue_white_red! Thanks for posting.
Glad you read and enjoyed this TR PTK346, you are very welcome!

Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Lovely report, thanks for sharing.
It's been a while since I was in Kisumu - the airport has changed a lot! I can't find photos of the old airport on my laptop, but it was nothing like this!
Kigali is a great city, had a very enjoyable weekend there while I lived in Uganda.
Thank you for reading and dropping a comment Maastrichtmouse!
If you do find the pictures of Kisumu or KIS, please share them here
Kampala is much vibrant city than Kigali, how long did you live in Uganda?

Originally Posted by stevie
Wow interesting report thanks.
Many thanks for you reply Stevie, much appreciated

Originally Posted by fly747first
Excellent trip report!!!!!!
Thanks for the kind words Fly747first!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I had friends who lived in Kisumu. Now I know what it looks like. Rwanda Air looks great.
Thank you Brettee, glad you've found this TR somehow usefull, If not done yet, hope you will come to this part of the world maybe one day.
RwandAir is great indeed... for an African carrier
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Kigali to Dubai RwandAir WB300

Following a (too short) week end partying with pals and family, the good things must come to an end so back to work. Time and service wise this flight represents the piece de resistance because it provides the best idea of the quality level offered by RwandAir to judge if it can belong to the "African Big Five" in the near future !

A trip report on this route (via MBA though) was posted here a couple years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-......-dubai.html

You can now judge about the improvements made by RwandAir

For RWF 1000 (= EUR 1.2 / USD 1.4), any money-conscious traveller can reach the airport with the 7 months old new Airport Shuttle that departs hourly (9am to 7pm) from the bus terminal between the Institute of Statistics and Rubangura House. Or reciprocally at the same hours from the WB's hub.

Willing to maximize the afternoon spent with a friend, the conventional cab at a flat rate of RWF 10000 drove me to the airport 3h before the flight. Since the African Union summit had taken place last July, some roads have been closed and traffic diverted in order to avoid passing in front of the new and stylish Radisson Blu Hotel & Convention Centre. Now like anyone would experience in Nairobi JKIA, a compulsory thorough vehicule inspection along with a four footed brigade sniffing every bag happen right before entering the airport perimeter fence ! (Well, in Nairobi all pax/visitors must go through the metal detector too at the security toll).

Colorful departure terminal exterior (Taken another day)

As usual, 3 other airport staff checked ** landside ** that :
1) the passport's holder matched the ticket name,
2) a valid visa or onward ticket is in possession
3) carry on and bags on the hold were approved before walking up to the check in agent on duty, who (even though i was first on the lane) processed a RwandAir staff first before allowing me to get the BP.

The friendly chap told me that Premium Economy would be sold when the London flights start but now one can buy Y+ to DXB and LOS. The quiet immigration was a breeze.

With not much to buy or do, i made my way to the sad looking Pearl Lounge, with the hopes that the future RwandAir's own lounge (due to open in May) will enhance the overall experience.

Most customers inside would fly KLM and Kenya Airways because Brussels Airlines SN471 was cancelled, one lady was travelling RwandAir to Nairobi; at 8:30 pm a captain/first officer a dispatcher and another staff (crew?) took a seat here with hot drinks apparently waiting for WB300.

The lounge staff confirmed they would make boarding annoucements as I became worried of being by myself in this suddenly deserted lounge at 9:00 pm !

Unfortunately everyone must go (again) through a second security checks with no premium lane before steping inside the roomy and airy departure lounge lacking of view outside though !

One of the 3 Cobus 2700 waited for all the passengers without priority boarding call (certainly a Rwandan method as it's similar whichever the airline flown) for a 300 meter ride.

No outside view at departure lounge past 2nd security xray scanner (taken another day)

WB300
Kigali – Dubai
20:00 – 4:10 (6:10)
21:50 – 5:20 (5:30)
A332 9XR-WN
Seat 4A – Business

Joel welcomed and gave us the directions to the seat. For my third visit here I felt already like home lol. Only another lady took place in J tonite – in Economy it could be 115 – 125 pax maximum !

Because of bad weather as the PA said at the airport, (certainly not in DXB) we waited for an inbound flight from Accra & Abidjan as a 4th bus coming directly from a just landed 737, delivered ( after a call from a ground agent) a dozen of pax only to the A330, instead of all of them .

Seat 5A

Lounge position

Not horizontal but full flat

Thanks, sure I will

Again the piping hot oshibori was brought over prior taking off whereas with KQ you get it once in the air. Allen, the very cute senior purser came to offer newspapers, a PDB and an amenity kit.

Rwandan daily... of the day! Good job (so incredible in Africa)

No more South African sparkling wine, Moët & Chandon Impérial champagne now. Yippie!!

Men amenity kit – first time you can see it!

Instead of a razor, lip balm for women.

Marcel, the captain presented his sincere apologies for the delay as we were pushed back at 9 :50 pm.

Take off video from Kigali:

Near the stairs, a guy from Lufthansa Technik ( providing technical support for RwandAir A330 fleet)

Backtracking to runway 10

Kanombe area

Soon enough, the crew sprang into action for a full service (aperitif, starter, main, dessert and coffee). Due to the late hour, I'm glad they did not rush the protocol !

Aperitif, not sure it's a suitable decision to offer honeycomb crunch nuts and sweet (read bland) biscuits before dinner... why only on the regional legs you get nice roasted nuts prior eating?

I liked them very much though!

Menu was orally announced again and different from the IFE screen. The classic choices of beef, fish and chicken – No veggie option. The dinner was nothing to write home about, but the crew definitely praiseworthy. They exceeded my expectations and were proactive, I had a long chat with Davis a very cool and open mind crew rated on 3 of 4 WB's types.

Let's check the survey: their French is as good as my English

Despite being both official languages !

Feeling hungry?

Supposedly today's menu

Napkin

Silverware

Genuine mozzarella cheese is a highly priced imported product in Rwanda, thus starter was meh![/URL]

What a cute agaseke (= traditional basket, btw filled with warm bread rolls )

The wine cellar (L to R): Deetlefs De Hageveld Red 2012; Deetlefs De Hageveld White 2013; Jean Luc Colombo Les Lauves 2013 Saint-Joseph Syrah; Org De Rac Cabernet Sauvignon 2012; Org De Rac Chardonnay 2013.
[/URL]

Really hesitating, the crew made me try both South African whites. Deetlefs wine tasted much better than the organic one, but was at room temperature, thus I sticked to the latter.

Predictable tilapia fish on every East African airline...

Moist and full of flavour even though very ordinary.

Sweet and sour Asian style chicken stripes

Desserts options

Pudding was just fine

Moodlighting on at Amarula & coffee time

The flight duration is clearly too short to appreciate the entire dinner and have a good rest hence I must plan to give the London route (4x weekly from the 26th of May 2017) a try any time soon!

Obviously spotless with only 2 guests

The best way to drain the cash out ... certainly an African habit as W was available to book only from mid February 2017.

Doesn't look bad indeed!

Seem to be the same as CX W seats, has anyone tried them?

Turning off the light for a 2h+ "night"

As we started our descent toward DXB, the soothing lights were turned on and Allen handed over a hot towel and a glass of orange juice. Very thoughtful!

Landing video at Dubai:

DXB

The very last view upon disembarking

Again, we parked at the heavy stance of T2 and the charming crew bade with smiles and winks a memorable Au revoir et à bientôt Mr F_B_W_R and thanked me for choosing RwandAir. I have replied them "murakoze cyane for this excellent flight!"

Interestingly enough, the bus driver closed the doors immediately after all J pax stepped inside, even if we did not get a fast track access to the immigration ! It was not congested at 5:30 am like it would be at 11:30 pm in T1!

I'm looking forward to their projected flight to London in 2 months!!

A dedicated, and much appreciated, J class bus

At the opposite, luggage took ages to be delivered and was not even part of the first ones !

Last edited by flying_blue_white_red; Mar 26, 2017 at 7:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

The Air France flight departing at 1:30 am the next morning, I hailed a taxi for less than AED 60 to Al Mankhool for a day time sleep and dive at the comfortable Hotel Winchester Appartments. It was probably not the ideal option (booked through the website Dayuse.com), but it was chosen because it sells rooms with check in as early as 7am and check out as late as 7pm – a rare occurrence – unless you can, of course, suggest me better addresses !

A 7am till 7pm stay for AED 235

Dubai – Paris CDG
AF655
1:30 – 6:05 (7:35)
1:30 – 5:45 (7:15)
B77W F-GS??
Seat 39A – Economy

Skyteam Lounge DXB T1

AF655 light dinner.

Leg back to MPL looked like million flights around the world that day, meaningless and/but, most important, on time!

FINAL THOUGHTS

I'm truly amazed by the quantum leap done by RwandAir, great job ! Some teething issues and imperfections as the airline grows tremendously compared to the rest of the country, outside Kigali.
Of course, as a local my view is biased like you, when talking about your homecountry flag carrier.

Return fares, from London, start at:
- €1970 to Jo'burg (JNB)
- €1757 to Nairobi (NBO)
- €1621 to Kigali (KGL)

As of today, the only reason the hard earned money goes often to Kenya Airways is basically because RwandAir has yet to fly to 2 or 3 European hubs. Also adjusting the DreamMiles FFP to become more attractive would be a key factor. It might change soon with London Gatwick and Asian expansion on the book. Fingers crossed!
The airline industry is going through challenging times as customers have a wide array of choices in Africa and to undertake the type of planned expansion is risky. Let's hope it does represent judicial deployment of resources for a such poor country.
In 10 years or so, if all the efforts come to fruition, one will remember remarkable Rwanda in terms of good governance, ease of doing business and zero-tolerance to corruption.

Many thanks for reading and commenting, corrections always valuable !
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Looks like a nice product, might give them a go next time to Kenya or SA

Can't see it ending well though. It's one thing to have a flying prestige project if you are the UAE or Qatar with hundreds of billions of dollars of oil and gas cash. Rwanda's entire economy is c.$8 billion. With c.11m people that's around $750 nominal per capita. To put it in context, the list price on a single A330 is about 3% of the country's entire economy.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:15 pm

Great report!

Hope you enjoyed your ski trip in Granvalira!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and sorry for the late guys!

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Looks like a nice product, might give them a go next time to Kenya or SA

Can't see it ending well though. It's one thing to have a flying prestige project if you are the UAE or Qatar with hundreds of billions of dollars of oil and gas cash. Rwanda's entire economy is c.$8 billion. With c.11m people that's around $750 nominal per capita. To put it in context, the list price on a single A330 is about 3% of the country's entire economy.
Yes you should definitely try them ajeleonard.
WB have pretty good fare since they now fly from London and Brussels!
Ok, to be honest I do agree with you. But the move from the Government of Rwanda is mainly to increase the visibility in the globe – kind of advertisment for the country. The entry into the European market is expected to enhance trade between Rwanda and Europe. As nobody knows how long it will last better to try them asap .
Morevover, after years of planning and feasibility studies, works on the $818 million project finally kicked off, and will be operational (for phase one) in 2020.

The New Bugesera International Airport facility is initially targeting to handle 1.7 million passengers every year, and will later be able to accommodate 4.5 million passengers annually on completion and after an additional $400 million investment.

So they definitely need an home airline to fill the initial gates at the beginning of the operations .

Originally Posted by WestAust
Great report!

Hope you enjoyed your ski trip in Granvalira!
It was amazing westaus, especially since you can kill two birds with one stone !
Will come back this winter season
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:51 pm

Nice trip report! Love all the photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.