Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Europe, South to North: Maspalomas, Gran Canaria to Longyearbyen/Pyramiden, Svalbard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe, South to North: Maspalomas, Gran Canaria to Longyearbyen/Pyramiden, Svalbard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:50 am

A very enjoyable and fascination TR, TheFlyingDoctor, especially the Arctic Circle portion. Svalbard is a place I would really love to visit.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
An amazing TR theflyingdoctor it was a great read and interesting to see FT's trekking up that way (which is also on my bucket list)
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Some basic level ones
Fascinating and inspiring stuff! Thanks for taking the time to write this, I'm only part way through and looking forward to reading the rest...
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Excellent! Thank you for taking the time!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:34 am

Thanks for the report! Svalbard is on my travel wish list, too, and it is nice to see a more affordable option than some of the very pricy cruises (especially for a solo).

Congratulations on your engagement.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Very nice report! Plenty to read! I was up in Svalbard a few years ago, although was there in September, so we had a warm day of sun, a day of mist, then a day of snow! The next time I go I want to go late March/early April, so you still get the snow, but also proper darkness at night. I don't see the appeal in the midnight sun....I mean, it's just daylight!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:41 am

I really enjoyed this report. Great narrative and photos!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Excellent TR! Thank you for writing this! I am from the other side of the world of LYR (SYD) and I am facinated by the TR and the photos!
Originally Posted by cedric
Great report! Thank you.
Originally Posted by DanielW
A very enjoyable and fascination TR, TheFlyingDoctor, especially the Arctic Circle portion. Svalbard is a place I would really love to visit.
Originally Posted by aidy
An amazing TR theflyingdoctor it was a great read and interesting to see FT's trekking up that way (which is also on my bucket list)
Originally Posted by mlpinto
Fascinating and inspiring stuff! Thanks for taking the time to write this, I'm only part way through and looking forward to reading the rest...
Originally Posted by sturejan
Excellent! Thank you for taking the time!
Originally Posted by freecia
Thanks for the report! Svalbard is on my travel wish list, too, and it is nice to see a more affordable option than some of the very pricy cruises (especially for a solo).

Congratulations on your engagement.
Originally Posted by lamphs
I really enjoyed this report. Great narrative and photos!
Thanks everyone! These reports take a while to put together so it's good to know I'm not just shouting into the void.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Very nice report! Plenty to read! I was up in Svalbard a few years ago, although was there in September, so we had a warm day of sun, a day of mist, then a day of snow! The next time I go I want to go late March/early April, so you still get the snow, but also proper darkness at night. I don't see the appeal in the midnight sun....I mean, it's just daylight!
I guess it's partly because I love a novelty / gimick during my travels, but I really wanted to use a sundial at midnight! More seriously, I found from a few years living in Edinburgh that so much more can be made of a day if there's still lingering light come 10-11pm. For instance, the kayaking trip didn't even set off until nearly 8pm, but felt like a perfectly reasonable project. Although I'd happily trade it for some snow, so like you if I went for a repeat trip it would be at a different point in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.