Community
Wiki Posts
Search

batanes island motorcycle tour / dpl mnl bso mnl dpl on PR a320 q400

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:06 am
Original Poster

batanes island motorcycle tour / dpl mnl bso mnl dpl on PR a320 q400

BSO in basco batanes is the northernmost philippine airport PR services. there is an uncontrolled gen av airstrip in itbayat, an island further north, but only baron beechcraft 58 and similar sized planes go there.

compared to 5J's atr72 which it uses for inter island service i find the q400 that PR uses instead gives a more comfortable ride. this probably has something to do with the active vibration suppression technology used in q400 turboprop, apparently the ''q'' is for ''quiet''.

the MNL BSO flight is this q400's first for the day. boarding was in an area reserved for aircraft parking quite far away from gate 131 of naia t3.

plane looked skinny and light. fuselage almost looked too long for the wingspan.

this one was showing its age but knowing lufthansa technik maintains the fleet is reassuring.

flight to bso was smooth. we cruised at fl 250. my gps indicated a flight path over tuguegarao. cabin pressurization was probably set to an altitude significantly higher than on an a320, the now inflated to almost bursting snacks packaging gives it away.

flight is less than half full. kudos to pal for maintaining this route.

short runway means we brake hard.

wet morning in bso.

fantastic views around batan island.

tigerstripe bovines. they literally have mountains of grass to eat.

i thought it funny that the entire town did not have even one steak house, what with all the cattle they had.

i imagine they could have great quality dairy here if the locals could learn to process the milk.

mountain goat pondering its existence

my homemade pork confit. we brought enough provisions for the whole trip. everything is expensive in this island and many essentials are always out of stock. also brought shelf stable cooked rice from an earlier trip to icn. .kr has some advanced rice food tech voodoo.

diy motorcycle tour of the island. i could ride around and around for hours and not get tired of the scenery.

roads were very narrow and at certain places very steep. the 110cc couldnt make it with two passengers at some sections.

this is for riders with prior experience. i would not recommend learning to ride in the mountainous areas.

one of many lighthouses on the island.

another one

beers were, surprisingly, quite cheap. about usd1.10 each.

the department of agriculture hooked us up with organic greens! me and my wife were so happy.

cup noodles aint so bad when you have fresh thai basil and lettuce.

the wind really whips it.

destruction from typhoon ferdie that hit last september.

view from the cafe at fundacion pacita. quite expensive but not very well stocked when we were there for brunch. planning to stay here? i recommend: save your money. decent pizza though and a cafe with an unbeatable view!

a week's stay in batan was just right. having no internet access allowed us to disconnect. sms works though. it takes a laid back kind of person to appreciate a vacation here. type A persons i expect to last maybe three days at most before boredom makes it unbearable.

flying back to mnl to catch the connection to dpl.

which we missed.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Nice experience and not an often seen destination here^
Old Dec 23, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Thanks for sharing. cool to be able to see what it's like visiting this places

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.