Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

[Exclusivity] On Board Air France Boeing 787-9 Ferry Flight (Everett-Paris)!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, AS MVP Gold, HH Gold, IHG Gold

Dear flyertalk community,

I had the very nice opportunity to be invited by Air France & Boeing for the delivery ceremony and ferry flight of their 1st Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner from Paine Field Everett, USA all the way to Paris CDG, France.

This is not a typical report (eg: lounge, amenities or catering served) but I still hope you will enjoy the experience and the pictures, especially knowing that revenue service for this aircraft will only start on January 9th.

Click Here for the full Trip Report

Synopsis of the trip report:

December 2nd marked an important event for Air France with the arrival of the very first Boeing 787 Dreamliner in the fleet! An exciting event indeed, as the French flag carrier had not taken delivery of a new aircraft type since the introduction of the Airbus A380 back in October of 2009.

The year 2016 has marked important changes in the Air France long-haul fleet with the retirement of the mythical Queen of the Skies, the Boeing 747, in January 2016, and now the arrival of the new Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.

The 787 is outfitted with Air France’s latest onboard products, the highly rated “Best & Beyond” cabins, as can also be found on the Boeing 777 fleet.

And here is our beautiful bird, ready for her maiden voyage home to Paris!

Shortly after our walk-around, it’s time for the ribbon cutting ceremony. Present for the cutting are Boeing’s head of sales, a representative from AerCap, and Frédéric Gagey, the former CEO of Air France, recently promoted to CFO of the Air France-KLM group.

Boarding will be through door 1L. As there are only 30 passengers on board this ferry flight, we will only have two flight attendant accompanying us to CDG.

There are 30 seats in Business class, all located between doors 1 and 2.

We take off in typical rainy Seattle weather.

Economy

Premium Economy

Special commemorative menus handed out by the crew. A really nice touch!

The 3D rendering on the AF 787 on the airshow looks great.

Bed time! The seat turns into a fully flat bed, of course.

Beautiful show of colors outside the large windows.

All in all an historic and very emotive flight and once again click Here for the full version of this Trip Report

For those more into video report:
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
What a fantastic opportunity! And man does the AF 789 interior look great! Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:52 pm

Wow. Thanks for an unusual report.

I am ashamed to say that I have yet to fly on a Dreamliner. I always end up on a 20 + year old plane.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:21 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Very cool trip report, may I ask how you were able to get onto the ferry flight? It would be neat to fly something like that one day.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This is so cool. Thank you for sharing ^
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
awesome TR and good pics. im curious how you arranged to get onto a ferry flight? mind sharing?
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Amazing. I struggled through the French version of this on boardingarea yesterday..

thanks
FDW
Old Dec 5, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great TR! J looks great and I think they really nailed it with PE and come the closest among existing PEs in making yesterday's angle-flat J today's PE (just like yesterday's F is today's J)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments, PE is definitely an improvement over the old cabin that was very uncomfortable for sleeping.

To get on a ferry flight, you need to be invited by the airline
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:02 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing your experience.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Wonderful report; thank you for sharing!

Q: How were the J seats? They look exactly like the KLM 787 seats. While I agree with your comments about the 787 in general, I found the KLM seats to be very tight in the leg well given the location and size of the shell for the seat in front of you. Did you feel the J seat was a bit tight?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Great TR! Although no 'ordinary' report, it's actually more fun to see all the 'backstage' elements so no worries!
Old Dec 14, 2016, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Wonderful report; thank you for sharing!

Q: How were the J seats? They look exactly like the KLM 787 seats. While I agree with your comments about the 787 in general, I found the KLM seats to be very tight in the leg well given the location and size of the shell for the seat in front of you. Did you feel the J seat was a bit tight?
Both seats are exactly the same (only cosmetic changes) but I didn't feel it cramped and I had enough space to stretch out and lie for sleeping. Maybe you get more space at windows seat than in the center?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Did you get the chance to try out the Premium Economy product? Is it as bad as the other AF planes?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Fantastic.
Thanks for the report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.