Wiki Posts
Search

TWA First Class DEN-JFK 1972 - The Good Old Days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Originally Posted by bunnyt
free champagne for everyone
with exclamation point: how funny, that's what I recall Vivian Vance having exhuberantly announced, quite loudly, to the whole room at dinner at some high-toned L.A. joint -- could it have been Chasen's -- on having been told that William Frawley had just died. Of course they actually, actively hated one another despite a thousand appearances together as quarrelsome but loving Fred and Ethel, maybe because of too much time together on the set; familiarity does breed contempt they say. Maybe it is just old Hollywood folklore, but sure sounds convincing to me...

More on point in this wonderful thread, when I was very VERY little -- would anyone buy around negative 7 years old, counting backwards from now -- my parents took me on my first airline trip to see my grandparents, and the itin. was ORD to Spokane, WA. One way was on United, a DC6B if I remember right, one of the engines overheated and was shut down, my mother was politely concerned as we watched the blades slow to stop out the window; but the other way was on a gorgeous TWA Constellation -- the most beautiful thing I ever flew, I think. Looking back, I'm amazed that such a bird would have been used on such a relatively low-yield routing; well who knows how they calculated such things back then. My God, Eisenhower must have been President, probably the whole concept of yield was still in the future. If anyone here has any sort of documentation of that service, I will be very, very grateful if you could post it here.

In my adult working life I flew T-DUB more than anything, almost always TATL and almost always with upgrades to F -- great service and food, too much booze, no J nonsense in those days -- but also 90 per cent domestically coast to coast, also excellent by today's standards, until it faded away. From an ancient magazine someone once gave me, I have a menu from their early jet days in F, JFK-CDG -- just astounding, there would have been no time to sleep for all the eating and drinking. I will post that if I can dis-inter it from the depths of my closet...
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Great accounts, valuable pictures. It seems that flying was a 'caucasian ritual' in the 70s, as all people on the pictures and advertisements were caucasians, and it probably reflected the reality around that time

Would be very interested to see how the cabin interiors of Asian airlines like JAL, CX and SQ were like at that time, when they were still at the growing stage
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Wow. What an impressive time, I was born in the late 80s, so this is years after my time, but its just an incredible thing to see what it used to be like. The idea of having an actual lounge on an airplane is just ... wow, I know some of the A380s have them, but I never pictures a B747 with one.

Makes my kinda sad that I was born into the era I was.

R.I.P. TWA and Pam-Am :-/
Old Dec 12, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by NCommander
The idea of having an actual lounge on an airplane is just ... wow, I know some of the A380s have them, but I never pictures a B747 with one.

Makes my kinda sad that I was born into the era I was.
Try Virgin Atlantic. In business class no less!
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's great to see the renewed interest in this thread, and I thank all of you who have taken the time to post your comments and memories. For those of us who were around thirty or more years ago, flying sure was alot more fun. For those of you who weren't, try to find your way into a First Class seat aboard airlines like Singapore, Emirates or Cathay Pacific. The onboard service and comfort now is even better, though the pomp and circumstance surrounding First Class air travel has definitely diminished over the years.

Here are some old airline ads that may rekindle a memory or two...

Northwest Stratocruisers would fly you to Hawaii in just 8 luxurious hours

United operated the "for men only" Chicago Executive flights until 1970

TWA's Super Constellations offered the finest service in the sky

First Class lounges on narrow bodied jets was the standard

Western's Islander Service to Hawaii was one of the best in the air

United's DC-10s originally featured 8-across seating and lounges in both First Class and Coach
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:03 pm

This thread still rocks after three or four readings.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: UA 1K,AA PL Pro, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Marco
All I can say is WOW!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:58 am

I'm enjoying this thread. ^

My contribution..

Itinerary for my Dad's RTW trips

...in 1964

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/t...sc001ae8c7.jpg

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/t...sc001b06e2.jpg

...and 1967

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/t...ur1967-1-1.jpg

Note the hotel prices & aircraft types in those days

After a relative died in a Comet crash, couples travelled separately, hence, 2 itineraries in 1964

Last edited by 9V-SIA; Dec 13, 2010 at 7:47 pm
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
This thread is simply amazing.!!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:36 pm

Seat 2A, thank you so much for those really great clips; and especially for me the TWA Constellation. I do have to wonder if all the carriers at the time used the same ad agency/artist, as the artwork looks amazingly alike, everyone superbly dressed for the flight event and of course, SMILING and socializing -- altho my own feel is that people actually kept more to themselves then when travelling. Also, could you possibly verify if the Chicago Executive was offered on any other routes than NYC-ORD, and how long it lasted -- what anacronism it seems today, I'd imagine it was cancelled in months; true the Plaza Oak Bar and a couple of Union League Clubs may still have been men-only at that time, but not too much else, I'm amazed anyone tried to implement that in the sky...
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:28 am

Am I the only one, while looking at this, thinks that what we've gained w.r.t. to premium (and even economy) travel is less than what was lost?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by NCommander
Am I the only one, while looking at this, thinks that what we've gained w.r.t. to premium (and even economy) travel is less than what was lost?
Not the only one! But the US public votes with their wallet and we have a much more "democratic" system today than the past. Fortunately, for those that want them, luxuries similair (or better) than the old days are still out there.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Not the only one! But the US public votes with their wallet and we have a much more "democratic" system today than the past. Fortunately, for those that want them, luxuries similair (or better) than the old days are still out there.
Seems Virgin is the only one that is similar to what was once there (and even then not as close to having a full service lounge etc., and F/J prices these days are mindbogglingly expensive.

If domestic F was x2 coach, I'd probably personally buy F for all my transcons, but I can't justify it at the 3-4x surcharge it usually is.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:07 pm

My oversight -- I looked at the artwork again and there is a line beneath it saying that United actually operated its Men-Only service UNTIL 1970!!! Unbelievable.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AGSF
Continuing with the Mad Men-related discussions, in the episode "Seven Twenty-Three," Betty orders apple pie with a wedge of cheese while in a diner.
Apple pie with cheddar cheese is still common in New England. Friends have a (corny) sign in the kitchen of their cabin in Maine:

"Apple pie without the cheese
is like a hug without the squeeze"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.