Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continental (on a Vrigin Codeshare) LGW-MIA, Upper Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2001, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Continental (on a Vrigin Codeshare) LGW-MIA, Upper Class

Welcome to my first ever trip report. It is very long (so expect to loose most people along the way!). I am happy to answer any questions on my trip. My trip was with my husband (he is 28, I am 27) on a Continental (hugely) discounted Business First ticket on a Virgin codeshare (London Gatwick to Miami).

Virgin VS005 LGW – MIA, Sat 28th July 2001, 12A & C, dep. 10.45

Supposedly one of the busiest travel weekends in the year – I can believe it. Gatwick was really busy. Virgin Economy check-in queue was really huge (we were catching the 10.45 flight to Miami, but people were also queuing for the 10.45 flight to Barbados and the 11.15 flight for Orlando). There were three check-in desks for Upper Class and only one other family checking in, so no queue for us. Checked in with only one slight hick-up: attendant saw the fare code on our tickets (Continental code share Z fare – discounted business) and asked (very politely) if we were checking in for economy. I said “no” and there were no further problems: assigned seats 12A and C.

Were given an invitation to Continental’s BusinessFirst Lounge. I thought that this meant that we wouldn’t be allowed to use the Virgin Clubhouse, so was a little disappointed. My husband talked me into trying to get into the Virgin Clubhouse anyway, no problem: they were very welcoming. We were one of the very first people in the Clubhouse that morning and I was very impressed. They told us what was available and took my Onetouch booking. We had breakfast (smoothies, pain au chocolates, boiled eggs and soldiers for me, ham and eggs for hubby – all very good), before my “mini facial” (very relaxing and given by a very skilled and friendly therapist – can’t remember her name, but she had a Scottish accent). I tipped the therapist although she said that it really wasn’t necessary, but I insisted (hope tipping wasn’t an insult).

The lounge was generally very pleasant: good views of the airport, a bar with lots of snacks and drinks, good food cooked to order, tv lounge, computer room (3 internet PCs), games room (a couple of Playstation 2s). Our flight was called just over 30 minutes before take-off. There is a lift in the lounge which takes you to the transit departure point (most of Virgin’s planes leave from the satellite gates).

By the time we got to the gate, there was a small queue and we boarded quickly. VS005 is a very new 747-400 (one of the planes originally bound for Alitalia, I assume). The plane is configured differently from the 747s which fly on the LHR-LAX route. When you enter the aircraft and turn left there is a very small cabin of Economy (3 rows), then a small cabin of Upper Class (2 rows – rows 11 and 12), then a larger Upper Class Cabin (10 rows). Premium Economy was on the upper deck. There is a small bar area in the main (forward) Upper Class cabin, but no stalls around the bar (the bar is covered with trays of sweets and things). One thing to note about the bulkhead seats in the smaller Upper Class cabin – they appeared to have slightly less leg room than the normal seats.

The flight was very full, but since our Upper Class cabin only had 12 seats it gave the feeling a quiet, private environment. The seats were very comfortable although not the new sleeper seats (a shame – I was looking forward to trying those). The audio and sky map were not working on this flight (problems with the new – Nova – entertainment system on this new plane).

Our cabin steward introduced himself (Jack – very friendly and helpful). We had freshly squeezed orange juice for pre take-off drinks. Jack found an empower cable and adaptor for my husband’s laptop (Dell). Hot towels.

A Continental Concierge came onto the plane and greeted us before the plane door was closed. She was very friendly and confirmed our frequent flyer numbers with us.

Take-off was about 30 minutes late (11.15) and we ordered lunch about an hour into the flight. Both had the fresh tomato soup (a bit dark in colour, but tasted fantastic – Virgin do beautiful soups). I had the pasta with sun blush tomatoes, spinach (although I didn’t see much of that) and parmesan: very good (and served with freshly ground black pepper). My husband had the rack of lamb wrapped in filo pasty with potatoes and vegetables: he enjoyed that too. I finished with hot chocolate bread and butter pudding with ice cream (what more can be said???). My husband had the chocolate honeycomb ice cream sundae – very good again. I tried a glass of champagne before the meal (nice) and a glass of Chablis with the meal (again fairly good). My husband stuck to the diet coke.

During the early part of the flight I had asked whether my husband could have a tour of the cockpit: it was our anniversary during the trip and I thought that he might like it. About mid-flight one of the FAs said that it was okay for us to do it now (I could come along too). We walked through Premium Economy on the Upper Deck. It was very full, seats looked nice and new, not an awful lot of legroom (at least compared with UC…). Did look pretty packed, but definitely an improvement on economy. If you sit in PE, try to get an exit row seat. The trip to the cockpit was great: I was amazed how small the cockpit was (like a large, hi-tech car), especially for such a huge plane. The Captain was friendly and chatted to us for a little while before we returned to our seats. It was an experience that I was glad that I had done.

I had a short nap: the seats are very comfortable and I love the pillows that you get in Upper Class (wonderful). Then I ordered a snack before landing: I had the tomato soup again (I did really love it) and some cheese and walnut bread. Was all very good. Husband had some sort of warm sandwich: that was really good too.

Flight ended far too soon (wished that we were on a flight to LA, or somewhere further a field). Disembarked the plane (behind those first three rows of economy) – didn’t get the same “first to disembark” and the Upper Class FAs waving you off experience that you tend to when Upper Class occupies the whole of the front of the plane. US immigration at Miami was an absolute nightmare (were queuing for over an hour), but Virgin Upper Class is certainly an excellent way to start a holiday.

The service on this flight was fantastic (and better than my experience of Upper Class on the LHR-LAX route). They were very attentive, helpful and friendly. Drinks were regularly replenished and the cabin attendants always kept an unobtrusive presence. I really like Virgin’s relaxed (not formal or snooty), but excellent customer service.

Virgin VS006 MIA – LGW, Fri 10th August 2001, 12H & K, dep. 17.45

Check-in at MIA was fine (didn’t ask me if we were economy passengers this time J ). The Upper Class check-in desk is weird at MIA: it is tucked around the corner by itself). There was only one lady checking-in Upper Class passengers, fortunately there was no queue when we arrived, but a little queue did form behind us. I got my desired window seat (although this was probably because I had be pre-assigned a window seat – I was told that Upper Class was full again). We were given a lounge pass to “Club America A” (the flight was leaving from concourse A).

I must admit that the lounge was rather a disappointment after the Virgin Clubhouse at Gatwick. The lounge was busy, but comfortable and you could help yourself to a reasonable selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Dishes of honey roasted peanuts and pretzel bites were available on all of the tables. There was a smoking area, meeting rooms, work cubicles, one internet access station (which you had to pay for by credit card) and a couple of religious shrines. I don’t know if Virgin have a clubhouse in Miami (there insignia was by the “Club America” door, so they must use it regularly). I would have liked to have used a President’s Club whilst I was in Miami, but we weren’t given an invitation and I had no idea where one was (I assume that there wasn’t one on Concourse A…).

We made our way to the plane quite early (since there was nothing special in the lounge to keep us there). Club America A is very close to the Virgin gate. There was hardly any queue at the gate, so we got onto the plane almost straight away (very unusual!) – we were too late for Upper Class pre-boarding.

Once on the plane we were offered the usual pre-flight drinks. Husband and I both took the “champagne cocktail” of the day (champagne and Cranberry) – very nice. Amenity kits, pillows and blankets were already at our seats. Sleeper suits were handed out. We were told that a selection of papers and magazines were available in the forward cabin: I took the Times and Hello, Husband took the Express.

Dinner orders were taken shortly after take-off and we were asked if we wanted to be woken for breakfast. I had the Squash soup (good, but not as fantastic as the tomato on the outward flight), mushroom, cream and parmesan pasta (really good – much enjoyed) and fresh fruit salad with ice cream (a nice slight way to finish the meal). Husband has rear beef tenderloin to start, chicken with various potatoes and vegetables (can’t remember the details) and apple crumble cake with ice cream for dessert (that was good – would have had it instead of fruit salad myself, if I had room).

Watched “Spy Kids” before and during the meal. It was pretty much over by the time I had finished, so changed into my sleeper suit and went to sleep. Sleeper suit is one size fits all. Since I am only 5’4” and a British size 10 (American size 6), this looked rather funny on me. It was very comfortable and light-weight: if it had fitted better, I might of brought it home with me. Slept very well for about 4.5 hours (time between finishing dinner and being woken, as requested, for breakfast). Pillow was excellent, duvet was fresh and snuggly (although a little hot) and seat was comfortable. Cabin was quiet.

Was woken up (gently) about 1.5 hours before landing and within a minute of regaining consciousness, a choice of ice cold water or orange juice was in my hand. It was so refreshing and welcome. After a little bit of time to wake-up, breakfast orders were taken. Both my husband and I chose the bacon roll (which I had read good reviews about) and another glass of orange juice: neither of us were that hungry. I also had coffee. Bacon roll was okay, but nothing amazing (could have done with more bacon perhaps?): next time I will order the full breakfast instead, I think. Juice and coffee were good.

Got changed back into “normal size” clothes after breakfast. I like the idea of a sleeper suit: is much more comfortable (and keeps clothes less creased) that sleeping in your normal clothes. Interesting observation, though: on my flight most of the people who changed into their sleeper suits were women. If men wore them at all, they would put them on later in the flight and often OVER their normal clothes (this seems weird to me, since I was certainly not cold…). I fully reclined and relaxed for a bit longer before seats had to be returned to an upright position for landing.

This was yet another really good flight: FAs were attentive and their timing was amazing (like waking you up, then getting you a cold, refreshing choice of drink by the time that you had managed to open your eyes). My only complaint was that the flight was not long enough: another 2 or 3 hours sleep would have been spot on. My husband has a theory that transatlantic flights should be like sleeper trains: the flight lands (without disturbing you – no “return your seat to an upright position”), you continue to sleep for another 2 or 3 hours, then wake-up before leaving the plane for breakfast in a lounge. Sounds good to me J.

After landing, we breezed through immigration (I noticed one guy from Upper Class with his sleeper suit top on) and then found the Continental Arrivals facility (go through Customs, out into the main terminal, there is a lift marked “to Airport Lounges”). I was surprised that I could only see Arrivals Lounges for Continental and US Airways. Do other airlines have arrivals facilities at Gatwick? What to Virgin and other passengers do for arrivals facilities at Gatwick?

The lounge was very quiet when we were there: I think that we were the only passengers there. When I checked us into the lounge the lady asked me if I had been invited or told about the lounge by the Continental Concierge on my flight. I said no, there was no Continental Concierge on my flight (or if there had, they didn’t introduce themselves to us). Maybe some Continental passengers don’t know that these facilities exist (I looked them up on Continental’s website).

The lounge was nothing really fancy, but very much appreciated after a transatlantic journey. There were about 10 or so shower rooms (including some suitable for disabled people). Each shower room had a small shower cubicle, power shower, packet with lots of towels, basic toiletries (glad that we had grabbed the toothbrushes and toothpaste off of the plane), sink, WC, large mirror, shaving mirror and good hairdryer. The shower rooms are decorated, tastefully, in marble and chrome. They have a suit pressing facility (put your suit in the two way cupboard and press the button) and plenty of “call for assistance” buttons. All of the shower facilities were spotlessly clean.

Husband and I shared a room (nothing dodgy, just it was easier to get toiletries and clean clothes out of the bags this way) – husband grabbed another package of towels and toiletries for outside. One slight upset was (after removing all of my clothes L ) that I found out that the shower wasn’t working properly: water would not warn-up at all. Two men came to look at it, but couldn’t improve it so we moved all of our things (me wrapped in a towel) to another shower room (pre checked by one of the lounge staff for warm water). Had a wonderful hot, powerful shower and changed into the clean clothes that I had packed into my hand luggage (I am a travel control freak and try to think of everything…).

Other than the shower facilities, the rest of the arrivals lounge was very small (think “Dentist’s waiting room”). We grabbed a few cans of fruit juice and I had a fruit yogurt. There was coffee, biscuits and other drinks there, but no fresh juices or baked goods. But I am not really complaining: it was just fantastic to be able to have a wonderful shower and something to drink before collecting the car and driving the 3 hours home from the airport. Yes, that’s right: no limo service with a discounted (Z) Continental ticket. Still, considering the price of our flight, I am not complaining J.

Flights with Virgin Upper Class were an amazing way to start and end a holiday: we were pampered and treated wonderfully through the whole experience. Yes, I do realise that I am completely spoilt. I hope that I get the opportunity to fly with Virgin (and/or Continental) in Upper Class/Business First again soon, although have the reality that most of my transatlantic flights (3 or 4 a year) are in economy.

Boo Boo

Old Aug 19, 2001, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks, Boo Boo, for a very well-written and enjoyable Trip Report - you didn't lose me at all! Sounds like it was a good trip. Looking forward to your next report.

Old Aug 19, 2001, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:
Do other airlines have arrivals facilities at Gatwick? What to Virgin and other passengers do for arrivals facilities at Gatwick?
</font>
First off, great trip report - welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes. The new facilities for US and CO are part of new consitruction which (IIRC) is below the main level in the South Terminal. Before they built the new lounges, US (and I think CO) used a couple of hotel rooms at the Gatwick Hilton). Not sure what AA and others are doing on that front at LGW.

No idea what VS does for its passengers.

BA has an Arrivals facility in the North Terminal, and I think DL uses rooms at the Le Meridien.

As for Miami, CO is on a completely different concourse from A - as A seems to be purely Int'l flights. I think CO is either on F or G - a good haul away from A.

[This message has been edited by CLTFlyer (edited 08-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CLTFlyer (edited 08-19-2001).]
Old Aug 19, 2001, 5:53 pm

Programs: CO
"Flight ended far too soon (wished that we were on a flight to LA, or somewhere further a field). "

My family and I felt the same way when we got off a recent upper class flight from JFK-LHR, the service and personalities of the crew were impeccable.
Old Aug 19, 2001, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
great report! It seems quite nice to have such a small upper class section. Almost like F class! And the food sounds quite good as well, especially the tomato soup! Got to try upper class sometime...
Old Aug 20, 2001, 2:40 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Boo Boo

Who did you book your ticket through? I'm always on the lookout for good discounted J class fares.
Old Aug 20, 2001, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Nice report. I still want to try Virgin Upper Class though each time I read about business class (as I guess this could be called VS business class product) on other airlines I get more and more happy about my own.

The lounge in CPH can be used for overseas arrivals as well, and they do have toothbrushes at the showers there And razors...

Old Aug 20, 2001, 4:14 pm

Your menu sounds like the same one i had on jul. 21 LHR-LAX. I felt that that flight was even over too soon. enjoyed your report..
Old Aug 20, 2001, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

I think that Virgin Upper Class is definitely worth a try. Although, since I have very little experience of other airline's business class products (AA in 1991 and Delta a few years before that), I don't have much uptodate experience to compare it with.

The deal I used was with www.wwj.uk.com. Other travel agents (Bakers Dolphin, Thomascook and Trailfinders)had the same deal, but couldn't get me two seats on the dates which I wanted (I have no idea how wwj could.... very wierd). The ticket is a discounted BusinessFirst fare (code Z) on Continental (although we picked it primarily because it was a codeshare flight on Virgin - we have flown Virgin Upper class before and were very impressed). We paid about £1600 per person for the tickets. This is not cheap, but since economy would have cost us about £700 each (peak travel time) - AND my husband's business is doing well - we splashed out. I thought that it was a good deal for business class.

Boo Boo
Old Aug 20, 2001, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

sorry www.wwj.uk.com

(terrible website, couldn't book online and price database is slightly inaccurate, but they had the deal I wanted, for the right number of seats on the right dates...)

Boo Boo
Old Aug 22, 2001, 10:19 am
dnw

£1600 might not be cheap, but its a fantastic discount over the £4500 VS charges for J on that route!

dnw
Old Aug 22, 2001, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

That's what I thought - too good to miss (not cheap,but still a bargain...)
Old Aug 27, 2001, 8:35 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
Great trip report, thank you and welcome.

I'm an amenity kit addict and would love to know what goodies you got.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.