Search

MIA-CVG-SFO on DL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2001, 6:00 am
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
MIA-CVG-SFO on DL

After a couple of days of rest in MIA, I decided to finally come back to SFO and opted to standby on DL

MIA-CVG DL 1866 Y
727-200 - Seat 19C

This was a beverage flight in Y and a snack in F. Lots of turbulence and FA's had to suspend beverage service several times. The FA in F was wearing his uniform without tie and you could see his white shirt underneath. Handsome guy, so I guess he could get away with it.....a bit unprofessional in my opinion.

CVG-SFO DL 2123 F
757-200 Seat 3C

CVG seems to be an efficient and nice airport. Things were smooth and my flight departed on time. The load was light in Y and about 70% full up front.

FOOD

Pre-take off drinks were offered. No menus were provided and meal was a one set-up affair. Linen was placed before the meal service, though.

Choices were beef, fish and pasta. The senior FA was very nice and chatty. American crews are so casual compared to European and Asian ones.

The tray consisted of a small bowl of greens with a sort of tomato dressing. I do not recall having an appetizer, there was a roll but it was COLD. The entree plate looked like the size of an appetizer on other airlines. The portion was small. The fish entree was good (maybe snapper, moist and firm, well-seared outside)and the size was slightly smaller than a deck of cards. It was accompanied by rice w/black pearl wild rice? crunchy texture...slices of zucchini and carrots.

Dessert sundaes followed and it was offered from a cart. You could request whipped cream, butterscotch or chocolate fudge topping and nuts. Ice cream might have been Breyer's Vanilla since I saw tiny black specks. Small bottles of water were offered.

I wonder if it would be better for DL to just offer water from the big 1 ltr bottles. The individual bottles are so small and is gone in seconds.

SERVICE

Very good. FA's passed around often and after dinner majority of passengers went to sleep. The dinner service was conducted in dim light.

COMFORT

Seats were blue leather. For some reason I find that DL's interiors are not as well kept as those of other carriers.
Old Aug 3, 2001, 11:13 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Thanks for the trip report!

Snack in F and only beverages in Y from MIA to CVG? It's not exactly a short-haul flight. How much cheaper can DL get?
Old Aug 3, 2001, 2:23 pm

DL utilized 1.5L bottles on my ATL-SLC flight in coach, no little bottles...
Old Aug 3, 2001, 2:35 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I agree, the tie makes the uniform and man!

Show no mercy even in the hot humid summer weather.

------------------
------------------------A PROUD BIRD WITH A GOLDEN TAIL!
Old Aug 3, 2001, 7:04 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
The MIA-CVG flight was about 2 hrs and it departed at 3:45P. Maybe that is why no meal service was offered in Y. I have traveled on 2 - 2.5 hrs flights from PHL/PIT to MIA, which is roughly about the same flight duration and distance of this DL trip, and US Airways serves a snack box in Y.

As Carfield has commented before, DL is the airline that spends the least in catering among the major US carriers and these two trips I took seem to support that conclusion. Is interesting to note that CVG-SFO is a good 4.5 hours and could be considered a transcon trip. The food quality was certainly not "Business Elite", but for a trip of this duration it would have been nice to have some warm bread and appetizer. However, the ice cream cart is a very nice feature and provides a nice touch to end the meal. For comparison, a similar flight on UA would serve a small pre-plated Eli' cheesecake. CVG is a DL hub and maybe they can afford to be "tight" in this market.

I don't fly DL often, but it seems that they are not always consistent with the size of the bottles of water. The bottle on my flight was maybe 10 oz.? It seemed awfully tiny.

Are DL male FA's require to wear a tie? I have been told that this new uniform was created to offer a more "casual look", but I never expected it to be so casual.

In all fairness to DL, I think that they show a bit more professionalism (at least based on my experiences) than the rest of the other domestic carriers.

[This message has been edited by aw (edited 08-03-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.