Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Brits take on the US Election - ABZ-OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO (SK, BA, AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Brits take on the US Election - ABZ-OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO (SK, BA, AA)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by stu1985
Thanks lostinlondon! Nothing to apologise for! I just think you guys will have a roller coaster ride for the next 4 years!
I have a funny feeling that you folks will have a more turbulent roller coaster ride than us in the next 4 years. Hope it won't get too bumpy.

Will enjoy reading about the trip.

Last edited by Bretteee; Nov 27, 2016 at 1:17 am
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Hi Bretteee - thanks for reading as always!

I take your points on board. However, this was advertised as a "Brit's take" on your election (and yes, I did miss the apostrophe in the thread title lol). I know that opinion is divided in the US but that shouldn't stop me commenting on my thoughts about one candidate or the other. I'm not quite sure I glorified Hillary (as you put it) - she's turned out to be pretty corrupt. However, I think she was a much better candidate that Trump.

But this is the beauty of your Constitution. I can say what I want and you can say what you want.

And please feel free to do a Scotland TR! I would really like to read your thoughts on the Nationalist government and the (supposed) second independence referendum!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I don't want to sound like a grouchy old man but ...................

The author is free of course to write what he wants without censorship, though I am not even sure whether digressing into personal political opinions is permitted.

As I said, it's a wonderful report; it was a lot of fun reading it (most of it); loved the pictures but I disliked the 'personal political opinions" about our 2 candidates.

Political opinions such as which candidate of the 2 one favors, is a very touchy subject, especially here in the US at the moment, where we are so divided. Discussions can turn ugly.

I specifically disliked that the author glorifies and compliments one Politician while bashing the other.

That's like me writing a Trip report about a holiday in Scotland, then digressing; glorifying one Scottish politician, dehumanising the other and taking sides about whether Scotland should be independent or not.

Or writing about a holiday in Britain; digressing and giving my personal opinion about whether the British should vote for Brexit or not; then glorifying / complimenting Mr. Corbyn who some in Britain dislike, and then bashing Mrs May who some in Britain like; etc, etc, etc. We can go on and on and on.

Clearly some people would be offended and rightly so.

That's my opinion. Certainly you have a right to yours.

I think we should now move on.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
There's also the fact if you are getting upset and angry about his comments just click that little x in the top corner and you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
**deleted**

Last edited by Charlie26r; Nov 30, 2016 at 1:18 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:36 am

<<I think she was a much better candidate than Trump.<<

LOL this is the comment that hit a nerve and lit a fuse.

Anyway it's not worthwhile going on and on about this as it really is petty.

Thank you for your great report and observations. I was away during the elections.

Last edited by Bretteee; Nov 29, 2016 at 1:48 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
The USA election is not just about the USA

As the USA has taken the approach that they are the leader of the free world, and yes the impact of a change of leadership is felt across the world.

We are experiencing hate crimes in Sydney Australia with people using the TAG line of Trump Supporter - similar to what members of the LGBTIQ and Black or Hispanic communities are experiencing in the USA.

This was a TR about someones trip to monitor the US Election - so some election commentary is relevant.

I found it particulary interesting to discover how the people in the bars were reacting as the votes were counted.

I grew up as a child of a holocaust survivor - and I found the rhetoric in the lead up to the election - from on of the participants to be similar to that of Hilter prior to his rise to infamy in the early 30's.

The whole wide world is concerned about the direction of the USA - and I think its history being written and relevant to speak about as it was part of the OP experience of his trip the USA.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:36 am

We seem to have a lot in common.

My family were also victims of the same regime.

To compare one of the candidates to Hitler is bewildering.

This is exactly why Trip Reports should avoid politics as it can lead to unpleasant discussions, which should be avoided on a website about travelling.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
This thread is under moderator review. Please remember there is a designated place on FT for political conversations and it is not this forum.

If you insist on continuing these discussions please head over to OMNI PR

Madone59
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Stu1985 I simply Love your passion for travel! You have such a similar style to myself ! Your trip reports are awesome man love following your travels via your trip reports on here and on Instagram!
Keep it going buddy! The world is ours , we only travel this path once and life is one great big journey so happy travelling! x
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Flyingboy200
Stu1985 I simply Love your passion for travel! You have such a similar style to myself ! Your trip reports are awesome man love following your travels via your trip reports on here and on Instagram!
Keep it going buddy! The world is ours , we only travel this path once and life is one great big journey so happy travelling! x
Thanks very much Flyingboy200 - very kind of you!

Already in planning mode for my next few trips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.