Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Brits take on the US Election - ABZ-OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO (SK, BA, AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Brits take on the US Election - ABZ-OSL-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO (SK, BA, AA)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Subscribed! Keep up the good work!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
You can purchase the charger, it may be around the same price and just use the plug part from your old charger when you get back. I had to replace one in HK and in Brazil.
I did think about that but decided against it. I'll be able to charge in London and hopefully get started again!

On a mini TP run today. Currently in Admirals Club in PHX sipping a lovely Bloody Mary!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Any photos from inside the plane?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by warakorn
Any photos from inside the plane?
I can exclusively reveal that there will be plenty of pics from inside various planes.

and various other pics that will delight BBB and others......

If only Scots weren't so tight, you'd have some of them already but a new charger is at least 10 fried mars bars......
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
stu1985 hurry up and get this charger sorted! I want my two favourite BA TR writers (you and Chris1979) writing TRS at the same time!!!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
Hurray.

Another Stu1985 TR! Yay.

Looking forward to reading
You've heard all the interesting parts! Haha!

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
I love it: a trip with an unique theme! Bring it on, stu1985. I hope for some salient observations.
Thanks TheTakeOffRush - I am back up and running now.

Originally Posted by louislitt
Really looking forward to the rest of this TR! Have a good trip
Thanks louislitt. I had a blast!

Originally Posted by nequine
Looking forward to reading about your American adventures!

I hadn't realised that the Crowne Plaza was that close to ABZ and like the fact they've got the tunnel connecting up with the hire car one so you are sheltered as you head into the airport.
Thanks nequine. Yes, the CP is less than 5 mins walk away.

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Nice start, I always like reading people's back story of how they book a trip and for what reasons.

Loved my time in SFO back in March, looking forward to seeing some familiar places in your TR. If you have not been already be sure to check out the Cable Car Museum, free entry and a good way to see the history of the city.
Thanks DaveNCL. I had been to the cable car museum before - a very interesting place.

Originally Posted by ericliv
Me too!
^

Originally Posted by Flyingboy200
Hey Stu,
Love your trip reports mate. Really looking forward to this one. seems an interesting flight routing.
Thanks Flyingboy200 - yes, managed to get quite a few flights in!

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Excellent another of your TRs. Can't wait for the next instalments.
More coming soon!

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Have seen some sneak previews on IG - looking forward to the full report and snaps
You've seen it all then mikeyfly lol!

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Wonderful start as always.

Looking forward to seeing how your trip pans out.
Thanks for reading roadwarrier.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Looking like it will be President Trump at the moment!
Yes, Mr President-Elect Trump........!

Originally Posted by Omar84
Looking forward to this, I have been reluctant to travel much anymore with everything costing about 25% more than what it normally did due to the crashing pound. Waiting for your reaction to the outcome today haha.
More to follow soon Omar84.

stu1985 hurry up and get this charger sorted! I want my two favourite BA TR writers (you and Chris1979) writing TRS at the same time!!!
Trip to Apple store made tonight after work! Working on next part now PoincianaKings
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

SK4614, ABZ - OSL, EI-FPF, CRJ900

We boarded at gate 1 and we walked down to the last of three CRJ900's parked at Aberdeen. One was off to Copenhagen, one was off to Stavanger and then us to Oslo. I got a warm greeting at the door from the lady in charge and took my seat. Boarding didn't take too long and we took off and headed out towards the North Sea for the hour and 30 minute flight to Oslo.

It wasn't really clear what SAS Plus customers got but after we got a hot towel (much thicker than the ones BA gives out!), the lady handed out boxes which contained a salmon salad and then came around with the drinks trolley. The salmon salad was very tasty and looked much more appealing than any of the snacks which were on the menu in the seat pocket. I took a Mikeller beer - a craft beer which is supposedly brewed exclusively for SAS. It was pretty cloudy outside so not much to see until we started our descent into a cold looking Oslo.

Bye plane!

Once we got bussed to the terminal, I wandered to baggage reclaim where my case was already waiting for me on the carousel. I got the airport bus into the city centre which dropped me off at the front door of the Radisson Hotel. My room wasn't quite ready (I got there about 2pm) so I headed out for an afternoon of walking around the streets of Oslo. I found it to be a really quaint wee city. The buildings were beautiful (especially Parliament) and I loved walking around Aker Brygge. Of course, I hadn't figured into my packing that it may have been cold in Oslo so didn't have a scarf and gloves with me (which I really could have done with). However, after about 2 and a half hours of walking around, I was starting to get cold so made a quick pit stop for a beer before heading back to the hotel where I was checked in. I enjoyed walking up the Opera House and taking in the views from the top. There's a lot of construction work going on down at the harbour area at the moment which is supposedly going to take another 2 years before it is finished.

The Royal Palace which was 5 mins walk from my hotel.

Universitetsplassen - a square in central Oslo.

City Hall doesn't look much from the outside at all!

But inside was a completely different story...

And the beautiful Parliament from the outside.

The Opera House

I didn't go in......

Palace looking nice in the snow.

[img]https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5810/30684896750_7ff3468d47_z.jpg[img]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/

I asked for a room on one of the higher floors and got one on the 23rd floor (if I remember correctly). The room was pretty small but the bathroom was absolutely tiny! The views across the city would have been better during the daytime but it still looked good in the evening sky. After a beer in the bar on the top floor of the hotel, I went to the hotel restaurant for dinner. I was going to go out but the snow was bucketing down so I decided against that idea! The food in the hotel was very good - I had some crab and prawn spring rolls and lamb shank which just fell away from the bone...... *drools*

It was now about 9.30pm and, given that I was going to be up in just over 6 hours, it was time for bed!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:28 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Please tell me that door looking wall of glass in the shower next to the toilet opens to get in/out of the shower? Because if not and you have to scoot past the toilet to get into the open area of the shower thats pretty gross for a germaphobe like me!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by stu1985
You've heard all the interesting parts! Haha!
You mean I was part of all the interesting parts!

I want my two favourite BA TR writers (you and Chris1979) writing TRS at the same time!!!
given poor Stu1985 was recently voted only 2nd best looking guy on FT (after, erm, yours truly) (certainly in the pecs category as voted for by BBB), I will more than happily and very publicly say that Stu1985 is the better TR writer of the two of us and take 2nd place behind him. ^
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:13 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated, the SAS CRJ-900's are indeed nice.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Fantastic TR! Like some other I love to know about the back story, and the preamble gets you hooked like a good novel. Without doubt a very well written report and great photos. Look forward to the rest...
Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great pics of Oslo there!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S.R
Please tell me that door looking wall of glass in the shower next to the toilet opens to get in/out of the shower? Because if not and you have to scoot past the toilet to get into the open area of the shower thats pretty gross for a germaphobe like me!
Yes, it opened into the shower but it was still a pretty tight fit!

Originally Posted by chris1979
You mean I was part of all the interesting parts!

given poor Stu1985 was recently voted only 2nd best looking guy on FT (after, erm, yours truly) (certainly in the pecs category as voted for by BBB), I will more than happily and very publicly say that Stu1985 is the better TR writer of the two of us and take 2nd place behind him. ^

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Thanks for keeping us updated, the SAS CRJ-900's are indeed nice.
Very spacious I thought! Maybe that's because the seat next to me was free. Not sure if this is a benefit of SAS Plus or not.

Originally Posted by Charlie26r
Fantastic TR! Like some other I love to know about the back story, and the preamble gets you hooked like a good novel. Without doubt a very well written report and great photos. Look forward to the rest...
Thanks Charlie26r!

Originally Posted by nequine
Great pics of Oslo there!
Thanks nequine. Great city!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
stu1985 ... discovered this and now following. I am eagerly waiting for the political insights - our Democrat friend in PHX is still in shock
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:41 am

The seat next to you or middle seats are never blocked in SAS Plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.