Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA First Class Review NRT - ORD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

ANA First Class Review NRT - ORD

ANA is one of the airline that offers best on board experience with Japanese Unique hospitality and cuisine.
I had been waiting for this trip because it is the first time I flew first class with ANA so I tried to capture as much detail as I can.

This post will show how overwhelm I felt after I was the only passenger in this cabin and I had 3 FAs for myself.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Start with Check in . ANA suite passenger can check in at Row Z which is not very visible located.

The Entrance looks calm and cool like you are walking to a restroom in a 5 star restaurant.

Upon entrance, an agent immediately came to assist me with bags and another asked for my passport.

Everything is done in 5 minutes.

Take a right then left to dedicated security check. It was a breeze since I was the only one
Now I want to compare with Thai Airways first class service ( I only flew first class with these two carriers so my knowledge is limited)

1.First class entrance at Suvarnabhumi Airport is so big and the sign is big enough that no one can miss it when reaching the terminal ( even in the back seat)
ANA Suite check is not grand and the entrance does not give a feeling of upscale facility.

2.As soon as you leave your car, Thai porter will come with cart and assist you.You can carry nothing if you choose to
ANA – you have leg and arm ,right? Do it yourself my lord .We want you to exercise

3.Upon Check-in,Thai agents ask you to sit,took your passport and give you cold towel and drink
ANA - No need because we want you to get boarding pass quickly why sit and drink ?

4.Thai agents walk you through check in, come with you to security check ,help you with carry on ) and wish you good luck at the golf cart
ANA – You are not going to be lost in this airport without us.

5.Thai first class lounge has an extensive menu which you can order or walk to buffet station and sample what you want
When I enter ANA suit lounge, I feel like I come to a wedding that serve cocktail and light refreshment. Of Course you can order curry and udon but where is shrimp,scallop ,fish and meat ? I understand obesity is the biggest concern and you want us to be on diet but please make exception in the lounge.

How about the seating area, I feel like I am in the office . I can see my cubicle ha ha.Also I can get my personal room in Thai first class lounge ( subject to availability) plus your personal toilet
ANA my friend-you should come to Thailand and pay us a visit.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Moving on to the ANA suite which is on the 4th floor.

Take escalator if you want.The entrance is big, plain and classy.

It does not give you a vow factor. I think they want you to feel at the office.Cubicle is everywhere.

Let look at the food offering. Do you think you will see shrimp tempura,sashimi, unagi or teriyaki? Come with me and see them yourself.

It’s my firs time here so I imagine a large buffet but wait what is this ?

Is this for real just one line ? Am I on the TV show with hidden camera? I am optimistic so I said to myself it can’t be that bad .Let keep walking
Yes.There is a hot food station and the choices are curry and Udon

With limited choices, I had to order the curry which was excellent.

To conclude, food offering in suite lounge is poor. It is like you are entering a food court that encourage you to be on a diet. The food portion is small . At this point, I really miss Thai airways First class lounge
1.Thai has a lot of space and personal room to use .You don’t feel it’s crowded at all – ANA it’s like I come to funeral in a cubicle.Everthing is black tone.Seat is limited.What’s up with the box?
2.Food is so limited. Where is Japanese local food ? Shirmp tempura,Unagi,Sashimi,grill fish and etc They have so much wonderful food but they don’t serve it. when they refill, it’s gone very quickly
3. Thai attendant always come to you if you need drink or waive your hand, ANA attendant came once then done.

ANA my friend I think you need to improve your lounge .Many airlines already went to Mars but you are still on earth. I want to find your strong points but I don’t see any when I compare with Thai airway first class lounge.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Time for me to board. I went to duty free so I came super late.

After I entered, the FA came to assist me with bag and offered to hang my coat.She was very nice, polite and charming.As soon as I sat, another FA came to offer beverages. I took both juice and champagne.

The first FA came back with pajama and hot towel. I told her I will change after dinner.
Time to tour the seat

Now it’s time for me to receive the best world class service from 3 FAs which was so warm then turn hot lol

1st FA : Have you visited Tokyo ? What did you do in Japan ? My name is Sailor Venus.It is my pleasure to serve you . ( I don’t remember her name so I name her .If you don’t know what is sailor moon ,please visit
)
Me : yes I traveled in Tokyo
FA : Are you going to celebrate Christmas in Chicago ?
Me: Yes
FA : very nice.Are you coming back to Tokyo
Me : I don’t think so
FA : oh that is too bad. Next time please come to celebrate Christmas in Japan. It’s also fun
ME : Yes.I hope so
In my mind, I am like why she ask too many questions? I just want to take pictures so I can review this flight.
FA went back to the gallery and told her colleague about something .I don’t understand Japanese but I heard Christmas, Chicago.I think they share information

After took off , I saw 3 FAs came toward me..
2nd FA : Good afternoon .My name is Sailor Uranus -purser of this flight. Behind me are Sailor Venus and Sailor Mercury.It is our pleasure to have you. Since you are only passenger in the cabin, feel free to pick any seat you want. You can walk , run,do planking and hot yoga any where you like – I made that up lol)
I looked around and yes I was the only one - very lonely i felt
After that they went to the gallery, Yeah finally I was left alone .I just want to be by myself ,but wait after 5 minutes .one FA came to me .
FA : What kind of magazine do you like ? we have times,new Yorker …etc ( I usually read comics so no idea)
ME : oh its ok I don’t read magazine
FA : Alright, how about I set up all magazines at the seat in front of you ? If you want to read,feel free to grab it
Me : sure
She left . Finally time for myself but no another FA came behind me
FA : this is food and drink menu
Me : ok
FA : please let us know if you want to eat. We can have it set up anytime.
Me : thank you

Ok now I was on my own . I relaxed ,watched on demand movies, read comic then I switched motions, set foot on the ground and walked out .Then I realized another FA standing behind my seat. I did’t know how long she stand there but when she saw me stood up,she approached me right away .

FA : are you comfortable ? Do you want to change to slipper? Then she presented me the slipper
Me : I began to remove the plastic cover
FA: oh no.Let me do it for you,she removed plastic gently and placed it next to my feet.
Me: thank you
At this point I felt I was being watched and monitored.This was not the first time. Throughout the flight there will be someone periodically stand behind my seat,because a soon as I got up.She came and asked me what i want . I don't want anything.I don't need anything .I just want to walk around .Other passengers may like this much attenuation but I don't. I can press a button if I need something. No need take turn and stay behind my seat silently.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I enjoyed your report - interestingly, I recently had a JAL F cabin to myself and had a very different experience. Tremendous flight and service, but they were not watching me!
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
LOL @ sailor uranus, sailor venus and sailor mercury
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

OK now it’s time for you all to see Food and Food and Food

FA : Do you want Japanese cuisine or western cuisine
ME : Japanese please but can I also have caviar ( Of course I need to pick Japanese, it is Japanese airline ,going out form japan, the food must be great.

Menu

FA : Do you want Japanese cuisine or western cuisine
ME : Japanese please but can I also have caviar ( Of course I need to pick Japanese, it is Japanese airline ,going out form japan, the food must be great.
FA : sure .Anything to drink?
Me : I opened menu and selected Krug( I have to drink this not because I like it,but because the price)
Canape – tasty

Krug arrived .

I took a sip and to be frank I cannot differentiate between moderate and expensive champagne. May be I am inexperienced drinker.Can someone teach me how to be a gentlemen ?

Back to basic but plain water is no no.
grape juice that grew in japan- very light and refreshing

time to eat
open your mouth please. Bread Stick

Then no idea but ate anyway

Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Waiting to see more....sounds like an "interesting" experience lol
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Off to a great start ^. I am looking forward to the rest.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Great start! I've only been the only passenger in F once, on the TG 747 BKK - SYD. It was quite the experience!

Looking forward to the rest
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Nice report. ANA FAs are so awkwardly cute in being attentive. I actually love it ... "You can see Mt. Fuji from the left side of the plane, would you like to come over and see it?"
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:58 am

Nice report and pictures. What camera and lens you use?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:34 am
Original Poster

I used sony a 5000 with the kit lens to take picture - Auto mode only

I don’t know how to explain the taste of canape. I think it taste funny and I have no idea what they are.

Next white table cloth

Caviar

Another close up shot

Now I am going to feed you with a spoonful.

Again I don’t feel any special sensation after eat it. I prefer just to eat salmon roe with Japanese rice. It is popping and melting in your mouth .Please don’t call me uncivilized .i just don’t appreciate it. If this thing costs 5 buck,do you think people still want them ??

Going to Japanese appetizer

Again couldn’t explain

This one looks like a sponge-crunchy and mixed with soy sauce

I think at this hour, i did't care what it is just put in my mouth

Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

How can we miss soup?

Beautiful presentation. I really like this soup .It is not salty and the broth is mild not fishy

The fish is soft, it break after I tried lift with chopstick

Next plum wine

Sweet and cold

Next course sashimi

Super fresh

Time to dip

Open your mouth -let me feed you

Main course

Grill fish – looks very good but the fish is like a rock-may be over heating?

Cheese plate

Dessert

More drink

The chocolate dome has such a high density of cocao

Having with fruit jam help

Not yet. time for tea and macaroon

One Bite for you

I would say this is like a marathon eating from noon to 2 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelscapez114
I took a sip and to be frank I cannot differentiate between moderate and expensive champagne. May be I am inexperienced drinker.Can someone teach me how to be a gentlemen ?
I just returned from a trip with three JAL F segments where they served Salon champagne - probably the most expensive champagne served on an airline. I could not tell a difference between that and a cheap champagne. I tried. I drank maybe 10 glasses total between three flights. It tastes, well, like a champagne. I honestly don't understand all that hype.

Caviar is different, though. I really appreciate it. BTW, I heard ANA discontinued serving caviar in F, but looks like it was available on your flight. Is it now on select flights only? Or seasonal only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.