Wiki Posts
Search

Dublin, Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 1999, 1:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Dublin, Ireland

I will be on a quick fly by this weekend. I will be there for 36 hours, staying at the Radisson. Are there any recommendations for sightseeing, and restaurants?
Also what is the best way to get from the airport to the city (cheap and fast)?
Old Aug 10, 1999, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
from rudi's gift, "1999 Airport Transit Guide":

No. 41 boards at bus stop outside arrivals hall about every 15 min (0620-2335). Pay driver IEP1.10 ($1.65). double-deckers have small storage space beneath stairs. 30 min to eden quay, many stops enroute. for traveler with little luggage, this can be a delightful top-deck trip into town.

airlink from arrivals terminal at approx every 15-20 min. Mon-Sat 0640-2300; sun 0710-2300. pay driver IEP2.50 ($3.75). 25-30 min to gresham hotel, store street bus terminal.
[This message has been edited by MileCrazy (edited 08-10-1999).]
Old Aug 10, 1999, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Old Aug 11, 1999, 10:20 am
Original Member

Gabby - take a bus tour of the city. Best attraction is the Guinness brewery (make of that what you will, but I'm not kidding). See O' Connell street. The book of Kells at Trinity College is probably a must. Pheonix Park is nice. If you are interested in the history of the Anglo-Irish struggles, the Post Office, Custom House, etc.

36 hours is about all you need to see just about everything in Dublin, IMHO.

[This message has been edited by james (edited 08-11-1999).]
Old Aug 11, 1999, 11:21 am

Hey, did you hear the story about Colin, who worked at the Guiness factory? Seems he fell into one of their huge vats of brew and drowned!

His boss had the unfortunate task of telling Colin's wife the bad news.

As he explained it to her, she sobbed and said "couldn't anyone save him?"

The boss said 'Well, he crawled out twice to go to the bathroom, but we couldn't stop him from going back in!!
Old Aug 11, 1999, 12:07 pm
Original Member

Old Aug 11, 1999, 2:04 pm
BSL

Go to the Stag's Head and/or the Brazen Head pubs. The Stag's Head is a Victorian pub in original condition. Really wonderful interior makes you really want to settle in and have a pint. They serve really good "Toasteds" toasted sandwitches. The Brazen Head is a neat old pub. I should clarify, the OLDEST public house in all of Ireland. Unfortunately the inside is not as neat as the Stag's Head, it is very interesting.

You might want to try this, the following link is a live picture of O'Connell bridge in Dublin. My fiancee and I stood out there two days after our engagement while our parents tried unsuccessfully to load the page. Perhaps if you know what color shirt you will be wearing and what time you will be there, one of us can "snap" your picture. http://www.ireland.com/dublin/liveview/index.htm

I encourage you to take the bus tour if you are only going to be in Dublin for a short time. Get off to go on the Guinness tour.

Also stay or at least go to the Shelbourne for tea. WOW what a wonderful memory, coming out of the Feb. cold to get cozy infront of a fire and having tea and listening to the piano player in exquisite Georgian surroundings.

For shopping go to Grafton Street.

Bar hopping Temple Bar area.

Churches: St Patricks, Newman University, Christchurch.

That is more than enough to keep you busy but post if you are looking for something in particular.

BSL

[This message has been edited by BSL (edited 08-11-1999).]
Old Aug 11, 1999, 10:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: One World
gabbysz: I presume you are staying at the Radisson St Helen's hotel. Please note that this hotel is about 6-7 miles southeast of the city center. The fastest way from the airport is taking a cab and using the Eastlink. This will cost IEP 15-20 (usd 20-27) and will take between 30-45 mins. As noted by MileCrazy taking the bus from the airport into town and than a bus to the hotel will be cheaper but will take more time.

A cab from the hotel into town will be IEP 5-6 (usd 7-8) and will take 15-20 mins. This is definitely the easiest and quickest way. There are several taxi stands in the city center, one of them is at St.Stephens Green.

The hotel is very nice and surrounded by a beautiful garden. The main building is a converted mansion from 1750 and now has a (modern)wing added where the rooms are. They have two nice restaurants and a bar that is open for residents till late. The rooms are average in size but very nice. The only thing missing is a pool. The do have a gym and snooker room and if you have a spare moment in your 36 hour stay (and the weather permits) you can play croquet on the lawn.

If you are not into Guinness but whiskey than you should visit the Jameson factory. According to friends they sell some of their very finest whiskey only in this factory.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 7:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks after reading your post...I availed myself of a clickit weekend special and booked the Shelbourne in the city center. Pretty good 101 pounds per night.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 8:05 pm

Mile Crazy and/or Rudi - Where can I get a hold of "1999 Airport Transit Guide"?
It seems to be a very valuable resource. Are all the entries as detailed as Dublin's?
Cheers,
Rick
Old Aug 13, 1999, 1:33 am
Original Member

send me your snail-mail address and you'll get a free copy (as long as stocks last).

please use this email address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A> as the server with the address in my profile seems to be (hopefully temporarily) out of order (since yesterday, aug-12).

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 08-13-1999).]
Old Aug 15, 1999, 5:06 am

Old Aug 15, 1999, 6:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
The guide is a very handy, compact and eminently portable resource for the world traveller. Thanks again Rudi.
Old Aug 15, 1999, 2:33 pm
Original Member

so far - six 1999 Airport Transit guides have been requested by email and six guides will be on their transatlantic way starting tomorrow, Monday aug-16-99.

(5 guides left in stock - I had to order 50 as a personalized present for last XMas ...)
Old Aug 16, 1999, 1:55 am
Original Member

one guide left now ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.