Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCO-ALO-CID-MCO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 1999, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

MCO-ALO-CID-MCO

The best laid plans of 'toad's and men oft go astray. Such was the case with my mini boatin' floatin' drinkin' vacation last week.

It all started fine... my upgrade on TWA cleared, I cleared out of the office and headed to the aeroport; dodging left-driving Brits all the way. The flight from MCO-STL was calm and uneventful. Me & the guy next to me ran FC out of Bud Light; had to settle for semi-warm Miller Lite from the coach cart.

Had an hour or so in STL and spent it in the bookstore and in the smokers cage. "Look at the smokers mommy!" "Stay away from there", mommy said.

Next up was a TWE flight STL-ALO (Waterloo, IA). Operated by Trans-States it was a 15 PAX turbo prop built by the fine folks at British Aerospace (or something like that). But I'm getting ahead of myself. At the gate, there were no less than 5 TWE flights leaving from the same gate. 1 gate agent to handle all of the check-ins and the stress was getting to her. Very bad attitude on the intercom asking for a 'greeter' at the door. Greeter never came. Finally got her to take my boarding pass & trekked across the tarmac (95 degrees in STL that day) to the mini-plane. The other 6 pax and me get settled in and wait 10 or so minutes for the pilot. No a/c during the wait as neither engine had been fired up. Pilot finally comes on board and says that they need to add more fuel so they can fly around some storms. No worries, says I. I'd rather wait a bit than go through a t-storm in that thing! So off the plane we go, back across the tarmac, sweat pouring from our backs. Up the stairs and back into air conditioned comfort; or so we thought. Miss congeniality at the gate asks "What the hell are you people doing here?". I explain that we had to de-plane so they could take on more fuel. "Well, you'll have to wait in the staircase". She looked like just the type that would call the cops if we didn't comply so we did. Let me tell you, you haven't lived until you've spent 20 minutes on a 95 degree day waiting in a concret staircase. Meanwhile, other pax are trying to come down the stairs to get to their plane.

Finally allowed back on board. And I do mean board. Apparently TWE does not think their flights are of a long enough duration to require any type of padding on the seats. I felt like I was flying Beverly Hillbillies Air; all I needed was the rope belt and some of Granny's good cookin'. Arrived ALO safe and sound (true to his word, the pilot was able to fly around the storm). Good thing, too, as there were tornadoes in the area that night.

Next day, I get a call from the brother-in-law saying that he blew up the motor in his boat. Ergo, no boatin', no floatin' and if there would be drinking it would have to be with the mum/dad-in-law.

3 days later I'm at CID (Cedar Rapids/Iowa City) for my return flight. I got there quite early (the wife and new cat were on an early UA flight) and was able to get an earlier flight to STL and MCO. Desk agent was very kind! Got me the exit row all to myself CID-STL and got an upgrade STL-MCO. Both flights comfortable and uneventful.

Home again, home again and fairly warned to not fly a TWE flight again!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Aug 19, 1999, 1:59 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks 'Toad. Paticularly sorry about the stairway time you had to do. I actually empathize having been got caught in a hotel stairway one time at a Hilton in Australia. The elevator was too slow and I tried to get back to my room quickly from the Concierge Lounge by using the stairs. The door on my room one floor down was locked however- as was the one going to the Lounge floor and every other one. Trapped! Embarrasingly, going up and down the stairs to each floor knocking loudly on the doors 'til I could finally "escape"! At least you were forced to stay in the staircase by someone in a position of authority. I caused my own grief by being in such a hurry. Incidentally, although I'd just showered 30 minutes before, another one was essential! Next time will surely be better! It just has to be!
Old Aug 19, 1999, 3:08 pm
Commander Catcop

I'm sorry Hammertoad that could not do some Floatin', boatin' and drinkin' As you said the best laid plans...

But congratulations on your new cat. When the world gets you down, just have your new "child" come up and purr...

Makes me forget whatever was bothering me!
Old Aug 19, 1999, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

And, of course, that cat rode in 1st class on UA. You'd think the FA's would've had some catnip for him.... Methinks the drugs the vet gave for calm travelling were just as good though!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Aug 19, 1999, 7:46 pm

Ah, how I remember the days of taking TWE flights to Cedar Rapids, Peoria, and other garden spots of the heartland.

And you haven't lived until you fly into Minot, ND! Talk about a little slice of heaven...
Old Aug 19, 1999, 8:33 pm

I likely have a trip which will take me into Minot! How bad is it?

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 20, 1999, 9:08 am

I'm probably not being fair to Minot, but when I flew in about 8 years ago, it was winter and the temp. was -15 with windchill of -45. Two days seemed like 3 weeks.

It's the prairie...and I think Minot International Airport is a bit humorous. There's also an Air Force base there, I think.
Old Aug 20, 1999, 10:32 am
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
Have never been to Minot but if you've ever been in the Air Force you'll know plenty of horror stories from survivors of "American Siberia"

It's not unusual for ICBM launch crews to be helicoptered in to the launch control centers when the snow makes driving impossible, and also not unusual for the normal 24-hour shift extending to 36 hours or more because the chopper can't fly the relief in since it's way too cold!

------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

Old Aug 20, 1999, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I never made it as far as Minot, either. From what I hear, though, it's just like Fargo (only colder!). That is to say, it is a nice, small town where people acutally look at and wave to each other on the streets. Convenience store clerks speak English and will give you directions; and chances are a store patron will offer to 'lead' you to your destination. Also, while not quite as bad as the neighbors to the east, North Dakotans have their own definitions of lunch, dinner, a little lunch, supper, etc.

Minot was a very good 'training tool' when I was in the Air Force. Just a casual mention that Minot was in need of (insert AFSC specialty here) was enough to produce an immediate attitude adjustment!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Aug 21, 1999, 9:53 pm

Boy, I never realized such an innocent mention of Minot would raise such response.

Glad I wasn't in the AF, 'cuz I certainly would have screwed up somehow and been sent to visit the 'frozen tundra'...
Old Aug 22, 1999, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Minot International Airport...funny. We've got some podunk International Airports up here in the Northwest too. I think it just means they have US Customs facilities, but boy does it sound bombastic!
Old Aug 22, 1999, 8:16 pm

The Customs can be podunk, too. Took a flying-just-for-pleasure trip the other day in a little Cessna up to Burlinton (VT) International Airport. This poor pilot from Canada was taxiing all over the airport looking for Customs. He finally had to call the tower, who informed him it was just a small brick shed behind the FedEx building, and he had to get out and go wake them up!
Old Aug 24, 1999, 10:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Ah, another satisfied TSA customer. This regional airline caused my migration to Continental/America West/Northwest. On four consecutive PHX-MSN-PHX trips the following happened:

1) MSN-STL flight cancelled. Re-accomodated on American. 2 hour delay at ORD.

2) STL-MSN flight delayed 2 hours. STL-MSN flight cancelled. Diverted to CID.

3) MSN-STL flight delayed. Asked for reaccomodation on AA again. Denied! Arrive in STL, get to gate for STL-PHX flight. A/C door closed. They stopped the tug from pushing away, re-extended the jetway, and opened the door so I could get on. That .......ly gate agent in MSN...

4) MSN-STL flight cancelled. Diverted to CID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.