Search

SFO-MSP-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 1999, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

SFO-MSP-SFO

09AUG1999 NW#98 SFO-MSP
10AUG1999 NW#97 MSP-SFO

Writing this trip summary because the previous trip was cancelled, and I was forced to postphone for a week. Moved to the earlier (757) flight to MSP in 1st class, and return in 1st class as well. The only problem which seems to recur with the airline (Northwest) is the lack of communications.

On both flights there will short delays - which I am sure we all experience and tolerate...even assume - however, Northwest did not make announcements of those delays (read: keep us passengers updated) until the actual times of departure or later! We all know something is up (e.g. weather delay, etc.) when time starts to slip significantly, so it would be nice to hear the news from the source rather than waiting and guessing, getting more stressed out and finally getting a late announcement that easily could have been made earlier in the process!

The flights were uneventful. Service seemed fine (I didn't really avail myself of much service, having brought my water and choosing to hold out for a restaurant in MSP instead of airline food. On the return, the DC10 first class seats were typical business class seats, with pretty mediocre footrests which do not rise above a 45-degree down angle. Ate the chicken with smashed potatoes, which was pretty bland. However, I love the video map of location, airspeed, etc., which I first experienced on a triple 7 (United) and then fell in love with on my honeymoon to Africa on Lufthansa, first class!! Keep that GPS map video NWA!

So, I went, had 7 interviews, was excited and tired, read all the way back with my water bottle at my side, and made it home to my wife safely. Can't ask for more than that.

ps. I am not a curmudgeon, and am almost always upbeat, but can't find much to get excited about here. I promise a much more engaging, and hopefully interesting, trip report when I hit Southeast Asia in October!

------------------

Old Aug 11, 1999, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Ronald, I am with you. I love the video map with the location, altitude, remaining flight time, distance, etc., but am almost always most fascinated by the exterior air temperature vs. ground temperature vs. though not stated interior temperature. It just seems so amazing to me that on a really hot day on the ground, we have a totally comfortable interior cabin with a -56 degrees temperature just a few inches away. Modern techonolgy leaves me breathless.
Old Aug 12, 1999, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Punki:

I do love the weather data as well! I wish that we could configure the program (at the in seat units) so that we could monitor temp. as we ascend and/or descend! It is amazing that it can be so cold, and then go to an 85 degree F in Miami (certainly not in Seattle or SF!).

-Ron
Old Aug 12, 1999, 12:54 pm
Commander Catcop

Ronald...

Trip reports don't have to rhyme
Or be posted on time
Or babble on and on... that's no crime!
The Cat is especially guilty of this
But before I run amiss.
You report was fine and complete
And any time away can't be beat.
So you brightened our day
IN your own special way
By sharing your tale
On FlyerTalk and not by mail...
And it was NOT a bore
So I say Ronald... Post some MORE!!!

And have a MEOWY DAY!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 08-12-1999).]
Old Aug 12, 1999, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Catman: What can I say to that?!

That was quite a literary treat. I have two trips (Chi-town, Hot-lanta) in Aug and early Sept. and I will try to ratchet up the content to make it more exciting.

Thanks again!!
-Ronald

[This message has been edited by rhw88 (edited 08-12-1999).]
Old Aug 14, 1999, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam

I agree that the in-flight status videos are terrific. Some I've seen include miles and time from departure and same from destination, local time at destination, and even (the kicker) local time wherever you happen to be above. Wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.