Wiki Posts
Search

Stockholm to London return in SAS business class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 1999, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Stockholm to London return in SAS business class

I thought I'd report a recent SAS trip in business class between Stockholm ARN and London LHR. It's nothing very special but there have been a few scathing remarks made recently about SAS and so I was very keen to see whether or not I thought they were true. Also there's not that much reported in these forums on 'regular' European flights. But don't worry - I won't be reporting such a regular trip as this one again!

SAS European business class is not all that special in the air. But then again, neither is any other European airline that I've been on (BA/KLM/AY/LH to name a few). The major differences between SAS business class and economy class are that on some aircraft (737s) you get a wider seat and on longer flights (more than a hour or so) you get a hot meal in business class. Big differences between SAS business class and economy class are on the ground and with ticket flexibility.

Unlike North American airlines but similar to other European airlines, on SAS aircraft the business class cabin changes size depending on demand. On their MD aircraft there is no difference in the seats at all. But the seat pitch is better than AA or UA's domestic main cabin.

The flights:

From Stockholm to London it was completely full. I later found out that a BA flight had been cancelled so I suspect that what seats may have been free were taken byBA passengers. I was in row 11 of the MD90 which was about halfway back in business class. So with over 20 rows of business class I was in fact sitting in the main cabin! This may seem a bit bizarre to North Americans. The aircraft was fine and quite new. SAS are about halfway through replacing their European fleet and their MD90s and 737s are about as squeaky new as a plane can be. Service and food were quite OK. Both flights were on time. I tried to board with two pieces of hand luggage on the Stockholm to London flight and no-one stopped me. But they probably should have considering that every seat was taken. It's true that SAS do not seem to be as rigorous as in North America when it comes to inspecting where everything is stowed (both my PC and bag went into the lockers). But in North America I was not even allowed to have my AA Bistro meal bag on the empty seat beside me. Are flying 'turkey' sandwiches dangerous? (Only joking - I agree with the stricter US methods on safety).

London to Stockholm was again in an MD90 but this time it wasn't so full. I asked whether I could take 2 pieces of hand luggage on board. The check-in attendant said that she would 'prefer' that I check one piece but did not force me as the flight was not so full. I checked one bag anyway as I was not in a hurry in Stockholm. The service on board was probably a little better than before and the meal was good.

I think that the meal service could be more up market. Both meals were hot and included a dessert but there was no choice of mains at all. Cocktails are served in plastic glasses (except for champagne) and the hot food comes in an aluminum dish (not porcelain). Am I too picky? Some more glassware and porcelain and a choice of mains would be good.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 04-07-99).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.