Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Running to meet the United 1K Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We arrived at Newark early, at around 6:15a.

First stop was the United Club Terminal C across from Gate 74. Pretty quiet and empty this morning.

With my EWR-NAS flight departing from C127, I headed to the closer United Club in Terminal C3 near Gate 120. Much more crowded here.

At around T-35, I headed over to Gate C127.

EWR-NAS
UA 1458
737-800
8:52a-12:08p (sked)
8:45a-11:25a (actual)
June 22, 2016

Another great EWR-based crew headed by our F FA Carlos. Proper UA meal selection as Carlos introduced himself, thanked me for being 1K and took my meal order first. ^

Choice of quiche or French Toast soufflé. Since I just and the soufflé, I went with the quiche. Wow, this was excellent, much better than AA's quiche. The asparagus was perfectly al dente.

And today's Cavaliers fix with pics of ESPN's coverage of today's parade.

In Nassau, the long walk to customs and immigration.

And the usual friendly musical welcome to the Bahamas.

Entering the country was a lot easier that leaving.

About 60 seconds to the left of arrivals is US departures.

Unfortunately, I picked the wrong time to leave as security was packed. It took 30 minutes to clear and then I won the secondary search lottery.

Even got the secondary at PreClearance, although it was kind of funny as the CBP Global Entry agent wanted to hear more about cheap NAS-HNL fares confiding that he had a quota of 10 secondaries a day.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 22, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
Do you just happen to know what airlines and their planes fly these type of products due to years of flying? Is there a site you could direct me to that could help a rookie like me out in finding domestic routes / airlines that offer these types of first class products?
Thank you DetailsIM. Yeah, when you travel a lot, you learn routes and planes. Also, expertflyer.com is a great resource.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Great report. Please keep it coming. Welcome back to COdbaUA. Safe travels!
Thanks warreng24. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by Madone59
You're a busy man SFO777. I'll be looking forward to your 2017 comparison of UA 1K and AA EXP titled "A race to the bottom" ^
LOL, Race to the Bottom indeed. Thanks Madone59.

Originally Posted by aidy
I love a SFO777 report
Thank you aidy.

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Nice TR with good photos, as usual. I'm looking forward to more of your input as you fly as both a 1K and an EXP. It's nice to see that some airlines think it's important to fly something better than an old HP 757 to the Islands and that Mai Tais are still a nice touch.
Thanks very much brewdog11. Agree on those old HP 757s to Hawaii, or anywhere for that matter.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
As a 1K / EXP since January it's been no good news from the AA camp for me. Frequent delays, terrible meals, lots of surly staff. On the other side post-merger miserable UA seems to be more and more of a distant memory and Oscar really seems to trying to improve things. Right now, at least for me it's DL > UA > AA as a top tier elite.
Thanks so much ironmanjt. It's amazing how far AA has fallen. I would agree with your current ranking of the domestics.

Originally Posted by cmd320
From a non-status paid F/J perspective this is exactly how I would rank them as well. AA has really been coming unwound lately. Least reliable year I've ever had with them (with the possible exception of the later years of the A300 operation).
That DL definitely looks like the only decent West Coast-Hawaii option out there SFO777. My next choice would likely be the VX flight from SFO or LAX. Looking forward to seeing the upcoming parts of your report. ^
Thank thou cmd320. So happy to be venturing out beyond AA.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:46 pm

If anything, you'll enjoy a more consistent open bar PDB in UA F. ^
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My gosh - there could not be more of a difference in decor between the United Clubs in HNL and EWR. Ratan vs luxurious pleather (laughing). ^
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A short escalator up from Nassau US PreClearance is a modern and pleasant departures area.
To the left is the Graycliff Lounge, a Priority Pass partner.

Members get a $20 F&B credit during their stay. Small but basic lounge with pleasant staff.

At T-35, I headed out for the short walk to Gate 42.

Nassau-Houston
UA 1455
737-800
2:10p-4:36p (sked)
2:05p-3:55p (actual)
June 22, 2016
Snack

Priority Group 1 boarding had already started so I was able to proceed on board. Strange that no one asked to see my passport though. Oh well. I was in an aisle seat 3E but when I got there, my DYKWIA Canadian "seat mate" had moved right in and was unloading and rearranging her junk oblivious to the fact that she was in the wrong seat and that someone else might be in her row. I decided to see how long this comedy show would play out. I didn't say anything but simply stepping in from the aisle on the opposite row Seat 3B and watched.

It was a good 90 seconds before she seemed satisfied with her packing, saw me waiting and asked "oh, are you in the window seat?" LOL. Not exactly.

SFO777: No, you are in 3F the window seat because I have 3E.
DYKWIA: Really? Oh sorry, I'm always in an aisle seat. I don't know what happened today.

Uh huh. This woman was a real piece of work, ay! Our FA came around to ask if she wanted a PDB.

DYKWIA: What do you have?
FA: What would you like?
DYKWIA: Oh, I'm not sure. Let me think. Maybe a beer. Do you have a light type beer?
FA: Yes, we have light beer. I believe that we have Heineken Light or Bud Light.
DYKWAI: Oh dear, umm, I'll try the Light Bud.

Oy, I need a real drink.

The next entertaining moment was the menu option. Our challenged FA announced that today's choices were "sliced beef or pasta." Well that is certainly very descriptive, thank you very much. I rolled the dice and went with the "sliced beef". DYKWIA then asked "Can I eat later?" Seriously? This is United and it's a 2 hour flight.

FA: No, it's a really short flight and we do it all at once.
DYKWIA: Well, I'm not really hungry. Do you have like a cheese plate?
FA: No, we have beef or pasta. But there is some cheese on the side.
DYKWIA: OK, I'll have the beef and I guess I'll just pick it at.

The sliced beef was indeed beef and sliced, but perhaps barbecue beef or short ribs might be a little more descriptive. Not the best cut but the sauce made it very tasty.

We arrived in the C concourse nearly 40 minutes early and I headed for the nearby United Club.

And my first shower in the last 36 hours. My cabin mates will appreciate this on my next flight.

Seems appropriate for Texas.

Houston-LAX
UA 1547
A320
6:18p-7:49p (sked)
6:35p-7:40p (actual
June 22, 2016
Dinner

The good news is that the monitor still shows on time.

Although at T-30, lack of a plane is problematic. The plane finally arrived about 10 minutes later. Deplaning and a new crew and were ready to board at the scheduled departure time.

And the usual gate lice, United style.

Yet another open bar PDB. That 5 for 5 in the last 36. Obviously, I'm not flying AA.

An A320 mean one given, the galley in a featured part of the F cabin. Yo, there is a curtain that is probably meant to be pulled so pax don't need to see

Dinner choices today were Chicken Katsu Curry or Shrimp Paella. Despite the single lonely shrimp, the chorizo and chicken made this a very flavorful dish.

Since the salad bowl is a little too small for the salad, I transferred to the main plate after I had finished the paella.

At around T-45, delicious baked on board chocolate cookie. AA used to do this but went HP/US cheap and now just warm Chips Ahoy.

36 hours after I left, beginning our descent back to LAX.

OK, traffic on the southbound 405 doesn't look too bad.

Using P6 turned out to be a blessing since LAX is in the dark ages with parking lots. Nothing automatic here. All manual cashiers but at least there were 4 of them manning 5 booths at P6. Compared to only 2 cashier booths at the much large P7 garage and the line for each was at least 10 cars long and back into the garage. Light traffic on the 405 and I made the 57 mile drive back home in 61 minutes. ^

Thanks for coming along for the ride on this report. I do it again in a month to complete the challenge.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 24, 2016 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigJC
If anything, you'll enjoy a more consistent open bar PDB in UA F. ^
It's amazing that I have yet to get a PDB all year on United. AA is a joke with PDB running well under 50%.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
My gosh - there could not be more of a difference in decor between the United Clubs in HNL and EWR. Ratan vs luxurious pleather (laughing). ^
At least it's not as bad as the tired and worn out Denver West club.

Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
At least it's not as bad as the tired and worn out Denver West club.
Your all time favourite I guess Perhaps you can purchase some pieces for your new home
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Interesting way to work off the 1K status challenge. Not sure if you were aware but the United Club near gate 120 at EWR has showers in the lounge, beats waiting until IAH to clean up .
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That's mileage running in style! Your new celebrity evidently hasn't slowed you down any.

There's no way AA would serve anything as good as that paella. I'm jealous already.

But, on the other hand, you really wouldn't like the UA club here at DFW, which looks as though it was furnished from a thrift shop. You're better off at the Centurion Club or one of the Admirals Clubs -- as you probably already know.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Your all time favourite I guess Perhaps you can purchase some pieces for your new home
Ha! Hadn't thought of that. Sure would be a lot cheaper than the stuff that Mrs. SFO is looking at.

Originally Posted by 2919scott
Interesting way to work off the 1K status challenge. Not sure if you were aware but the United Club near gate 120 at EWR has showers in the lounge, beats waiting until IAH to clean up .
Thanks 2919scott. Didn't know that until I got to EWR. I tried to use those showers but there was a 45 minute wait. Next time, I'll head straight for that UC.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
That's mileage running in style! Your new celebrity evidently hasn't slowed you down any.
There's no way AA would serve anything as good as that paella. I'm jealous already. But, on the other hand, you really wouldn't like the UA club here at DFW, which looks as though it was furnished from a thrift shop. You're better off at the Centurion Club or one of the Admirals Clubs -- as you probably already know.
Thank you FallenPlat. I have been to the DFW UC. Yeah, not so good. Love the DFW Centurion Lounge. ^
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
Ha! Hadn't thought of that. Sure would be a lot cheaper than the stuff that Mrs. SFO is looking at.
IŽm absolutely sure! Buy one and make a video of her reaction when she see it. YouŽll make millions!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for sharing another great TR SFO777. I very much enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second installment. Also love seeing The Bahamas showing news about Trump! I saw him on the news in Norway. He really is making everyone around the world take notice!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Do you find it easier to do MR out of LAX than out of DEN?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks for sharing, SFO777. I'm not flying as much this year, but I have to say that I have had two wonderful experiences each way on UA's PS EWR to SFO late last month and earlier this month. Another booked for August. I thought J service would take a hit after leaving JFK, but it's really nice. Since you're in LAX now, I would recommend it if you're heading in this direction. And with the Polaris debut, I can't say that I'll be mileage running to save my EXP status. Thanks again!
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR as always. I only have one question - why do you want UAL status? With Jetsmarter and premium MR deals, I can't comprehend what ual serves, or why you can't just buy paid F if ual is the only option. On my most recent ual flight in 2015, I just torched 100,000 miles (F per pax) for a 2-day ord/PDX wedding trip. I almost was going to do a similar award this year but cancelled instead.
Isn't the best status to just not fly ual? With VX and b6 and everyone else flying out of Southern California airports, I can't understand where United uniquely serves for nonstops.
I travel very little but I think I could go anywhere from SFO that didn't require ual. I'm planning to use my ual miles for partner airlines at some point in the future.
And I still love love love the Cavs TR. can't get enough of it!!! Those pictures...

Last edited by gaobest; Jul 1, 2016 at 6:02 am Reason: United's unique nonstops from SoCal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.