Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Formula 1, Friends and Food. Exploring Shanghai.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Formula 1, Friends and Food. Exploring Shanghai.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:05 pm

Nice shots at the race track.

By the way, a few comments from someone who had more than enough Paddock access for life

Get the metro to (and from - albeit that depends) the race track. It's fairly fast, and you'll not get a clueless driver. Unfortunately there are a lot of morons behind the wheels of Shanghai taxis. (And yes, I even took the metro couple times when I had the chance to get a car/bus transport for free instead. Sleeping 30min more is sometimes more valuable than a few Yuan saved )

If you're leaving when everyone else does, and you're going towards the city, there is the possibility to walk towards Baiyin Road (about 1.5km from the track, depends where you are exiting) and take the metro from there towards the city. Empty trains guaranteed

Yes, security in SHA can be quite harsh. With a proper pass, it's no problem at all, but I guess if you really just came with some kind of "nothing", it doesn't work. It's not much different at other tracks, though

I always liked the Chinese fans - heavily into the sport, much more than, say, those in Singapore who just saw it as an "event" of sort. Almost as dedicated as the crazy japanese supporters. And that says a lot.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold 50k, UA, Marriott - Silver, OMNI Select Guest - Gold, HHonors - Blue, MLife - Sapphire
Originally Posted by Madone59

DaBears

I'm fairly certain not even DaBears, nor Ditka himself could have left this place not feeling DaStuffed.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold 50k, UA, Marriott - Silver, OMNI Select Guest - Gold, HHonors - Blue, MLife - Sapphire
Cool Well that's a relief...

SANdEhGo moondog I hope you enjoy, and don't worry I won't tell that story about that stuff, and all that other stuff.

But that one part in the other stuff... that was crazy. No, you're right - not for public consumption.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
DTF is a good place to start your xialongbao journey. Don't get their noodles though, I had them in a few stores in Shanghai (because I love noodles) and they all sucked.
I must confess that Madone59 messaged me in advance about some more authentic XLB establishments, which are arguably better and more authentic than DTF, but since I wasn't thrilled about standing in line for 30 minutes in order to end up eating on a small stool, I recommended the DTF branch that is closest to ME. Sure, it's a little expensive, and it probably isn't much different from DTF in Seattle, but I am a fan (one of their most frequent customers, in fact).

For those of you who are interested, here is our master XLB thread (note that most of the hole in the wall places no longer exist):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...gs-thread.html
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
I must confess that Madone59 messaged me in advance about some more authentic XLB establishments, which are arguably better and more authentic than DTF, but since I wasn't thrilled about standing in line for 30 minutes in order to end up eating on a small stool, I recommended the DTF branch that is closest to ME. Sure, it's a little expensive, and it probably isn't much different from DTF in Seattle, but I am a fan (one of their most frequent customers, in fact).

For those of you who are interested, here is our master XLB thread (note that most of the hole in the wall places no longer exist):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...gs-thread.html
As a northerner, I'd say better dumplings can be had in the north
Old Apr 22, 2016, 5:55 pm

... I will spare you the details of our bromance but needless to say Sean was ecstatic and hugs were shared.
I was, and there were - still cannot get over missing all the signs for the race (literally, on the way in to and around town), and completely missing the connection that we were going to be in Shanghai the weekend of. I was so focused on how awesome it would be just to go to China, I could think of nothing else apparently... Other than duck... and Xiaolongbao... and GOING TO CHINA.

... Also, because I know Sean is reading this.....yes it is my fault we took the wrong subway and added 45 minutes to our trip back to Yu Garden.
That was definitely a mutual mistake. Thanks, Google for making the name of the MTR line (end station) much more pronounced on the page than the actual stop. A problem easily solved if we had just read the damn thing - alas. The 10 line in Shanghai is now as familiar to us as our respective daily commutes to work!

Whether you have been to Shanghai before or not you need to connect with Moondog. He is the epitome of the kind of person you hope to meet through FT and I hope I can be as knowledgeable and friendly to people visiting San Diego as he was to me. Before our trip I mentioned Sean and I were looking for Xiaolongbao or soup dumplings so we were instructed to meet at Din Tai Fung Xintiandi which was a short subway ride from our hotel at Yu Garden.
Awesome to meet you, Moondog! Thank you for all your suggestions, for meeting up with us, and for expanding my knowledge on all things points, miles, and FT! I hope we can return the favor here in the states!

We sat down and were given a instruction card on how to properly eat a soup dumpling without burning your face off. How kind.

Thanks, Din Tai Fung, now I know there's a required ratio of Vinegar : Soy Sauce for the optimal enjoyment of my xiaolongbao (apparently its 2:1).

There they are. Little bundles of perfection, holding in their scorching delicious perfect soup. There may be better places to eat these, the law of averages say it's true, probably down some alley in a stall that has been there for 50 years but would they be significantly better? No. These are worth the trip which is why four of us went through five baskets of them.

My PRECIOUS!

Old Apr 22, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp, HH Diamond
It was nice running into you at the airport. I wasn't going to say anything at first, but I swear yours was the first FT tag I've seen in the wild.

That line was ridiculous and several people just walked to the front of the line bypassing who knows how many 100s.

I ended up taking Maglev into the city and from there was quoted nearly 10x the going rate for a cab ride to hotel. I declined and took the metro.

Trip looked like a lot of fun. Btw, I ended up cancelling my return this weekend. After having done a DFW-HKG-DFW turn the previous week, I was really wiped out.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by United747
Awesome TR Madone59! Really looking forward to the rest. I'm trying to piece together a trip up to YUL for the Grand Prix.

Too bad that Lewis is off to a bad start this year. Although it could make for some nice points battles come the end of the season!
Thanks United747 ^ Definitely try to get to the F1 race, it is a blast. I have my fingers crossed for a points battle at the end of this year.....because it looks like the only chance I'll have of Lewis winning number 4!

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Well, I'll support anyone who can beat Lewis
Don't hate the player, hate the game

Originally Posted by htang333
Great report! Looking forward to reading the rest.

Heading to Shanghai in June!

One friend that's going is solely going due to Peking Duck...has been begging to return for another taste since 2011!

We'll be staying at Ritz Carlon Pudong, and Park Hyatt, so I will do a report as well!
Thanks htang333, I am glad you are enjoying the TR. As Moondog mentioned Beijing is the place for Peaking Duck. DaDong is great but it is not even as good as the Beijing restaurant never mind other Beijing staples. Also as TOMFORD mentioned please send photos! Have a great trip!

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Nice shots at the race track.

By the way, a few comments from someone who had more than enough Paddock access for life

Get the metro to (and from - albeit that depends) the race track. It's fairly fast, and you'll not get a clueless driver. Unfortunately there are a lot of morons behind the wheels of Shanghai taxis. (And yes, I even took the metro couple times when I had the chance to get a car/bus transport for free instead. Sleeping 30min more is sometimes more valuable than a few Yuan saved )

If you're leaving when everyone else does, and you're going towards the city, there is the possibility to walk towards Baiyin Road (about 1.5km from the track, depends where you are exiting) and take the metro from there towards the city. Empty trains guaranteed

Yes, security in SHA can be quite harsh. With a proper pass, it's no problem at all, but I guess if you really just came with some kind of "nothing", it doesn't work. It's not much different at other tracks, though
All good advice for anyone going to Shanghai Circuit in the future. Thanks ^

Originally Posted by mjr1975
It was nice running into you at the airport. I wasn't going to say anything at first, but I swear yours was the first FT tag I've seen in the wild.

That line was ridiculous and several people just walked to the front of the line bypassing who knows how many 100s.

I ended up taking Maglev into the city and from there was quoted nearly 10x the going rate for a cab ride to hotel. I declined and took the metro.

Trip looked like a lot of fun. Btw, I ended up cancelling my return this weekend. After having done a DFW-HKG-DFW turn the previous week, I was really wiped out.
mjr1975 We saw you after a DFW-HKG-DFW too Geez man, you are getting it in before the revenue change over huh? Well happy travels buddy, thanks for saying hi ^
Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Having a couple AMG's in the garage myself and bring a Hamilton/Rosberg fan this was an awesome trip report. I would love to be able to go behind the scenes sometime at a race. I had my AMG/Petronas Racing shirt on at the airport the day of the race and a flight attendant made a comment to me about liking the shirt. Thought that was pretty cool. Kind of mad because I'm going to be in Singapore the weekend after that race. Again, great report!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
20,000 steps

Our second full day in Shanghai started with some much needed sleep. After the early wake up call, a ear shattering day at the races and the late drink sleeping in was a must. After a light bite in the M lounge Sean and I decided to search for SIM cards, get lunch, and take a old shanghai/ Bund walking tour. Between us we had three cell phones, so one was bound to work. After a very confusing walk up and down the street not finding a single place to buy a SIM we ended up finding a place right near the hotel that we had walked past about an hour earlier . Both of my phones were locked but luckily Sean's was good to so 80rmb later we had a working phone.

The SIM man working his magic

Before we left the news stand I grabbed a second SIM for our friend and fellow Trip Reporter TOMFORD because no man should be denied the love of a woman they meet on WeChat. Seriously, he was having trouble using the 'people near me' function with his US number so we got him set up with a Chinese number. Signs that your daughter is talking to TOMFORD on WeChat are: Asking if your family vacation will be at a Four Seasons, lobbying to make grandmas 85th birthday dinner at Per Se, and finally refusing to wear anything not made show this season in Milan.

After getting the SIM sorted out and lunch it was time to walk.

Quick trip back to Yu Garden

View down Fuxing Road from the pedestrian bridge.

This owl is angry, right?

Entry to Fangbang Road

Heading down the street

Fangbang was really interesting because it was clearly a main drag for tourists, but also seemed to serve some value to the community around it. If you turned a street or two away from the shops and stalls you were in Old Shanghai just wondering through peoples world. Also where on Nanjing Road by the Bund people are selling the same tchotchkes they are here, but the aggressive sales and targeting of tourists seems to be dialed down a little bit on Fangbang road.

Chop?

Happy ice cream cone face penguin

God's Temple front gate. We did't pay the entry fee but in hind sight I wish we had.

After deciding not to enter God's Temple, we turned left up Anren St. and off the beaten path right into old Shanghai. Walking up Anren provided a sliver of a glimpse into local China. I hesitate to call this "real China" because there is nothing fake about the Ritz Carlton, or the Ferrari dealership or any of the other hundred monuments to capitalism in Pudong but little streets like Anren are the veins of Shanghais massive circulatory system.

Fresh batch of dumplings going in

Local mechanic shop

Fresh fried goodness.

Haircut

Fresh

Wondering through some local shops, towards the bund

Beads?

Finally we had made it to the Bund and had our first good view of Pudong

Sean finds shade

After all of that walking it was time for some ice cream

Knowing we wanted to be back here in a few hours to shoot the skyline illuminated after sundown we started to head back and noticed we were at The House of Roosevelt. This private club was a central part of the Shanghai Parts Unknown episode, so we crossed the street to check it out. The bottom floor is a Rolex store on one side, and the Rolex experience on the other. Luckily the young lady working the Rolex experience today knew some of the same people I do within the company and she kindly gave us a personal tour through the history of Rolex. If you are into watches, even a little, I highly suggest spending 20 minutes and checking this out - it is really cool. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from inside Rolex Experience but the security guards were nice enough to let me take a few photos around the ground floor of the club.

We walked back outside heading to Nanjing Road and bumped right into a happy(?) bride and groom .

Looking back towards Pudong

Snacks

20,000 steps later we were back at Yu Garden and couldn't feel our legs. The thought of not using my feet anymore was only second to the thought that I needed to get out of my sweaty clothes so I suggested we check out the infinity pool on the top floor. I brought my camera with me, but immediately upon entering knew word(s) would be enough. Gross. The windows had not been cleaned in quite some time so where the infinity drain met the floor and the glass there was some serious green algae that ran from the floor up the glass. The hot tub was stagnant, and both pool and hot tub had rusted fixtures. The pool had a underwater light fixture with a rusted screw hanging out of it right near the entry steps so watch your legs. Below is the photo from the Marriott website, now you see why I wanted to take a dip.

Wouldn't you know it a few minutes in the pool area was all I needed to be motivated back onto my feet and into the shower. After a little shower, a tetanus booster and a nap the sun was down and it was time to head back to the Bund.

Shops lit up at night

Meat snacks

Waiting

Night time river cruise

Looking up the puxi side of the river

Came across another photographer enjoying the view

Night skyline

Into a cab and across town we were headed to meet Moondog for dinner again. I was able to snap a photo of the elusive flyertalker when he photo-bombed my street food photo.

Clink, clink

Many bottles of beer on the wall

I apologize I have forgotten the name of the Belgian pub we had dinner at, so Moony please chime in because it was really good. A great beef stew, some crusty bread and a Belgian beer were exactly what the doctor ordered. It was the next morning before we knew it and time for one last night's sleep in Shanghai.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Signs that your daughter is talking to TOMFORD on WeChat are: Asking if your family vacation will be at a Four Seasons, lobbying to make grandmas 85th birthday dinner at Per Se, and finally refusing to wear anything not made show this season in Milan.
Death by laughter, I have no words.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:29 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Is this where you got yours? If so will you share the story?

Beads?

Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:11 am

Looks like an awesome trip across the Pacific to Shanghai, Madone59. Always fun to meet up with fellow FT'ers too.

The Formula 1 must have been an experience, and the tasty Xiaolongbao at Din Tai Fung. They recently opened a DTF in Dubai and I am a bit of a fan already.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Great photos ^
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:15 pm

China is amazing. What's interesting about Pudong side in my opinion is that not that many years ago it was a farmland, wharfs and warehouses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.