Reload this Page >

Hawaii, Guam, a 717, the Island Hopper & 747 Upper Deck Lie Flats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii, Guam, a 717, the Island Hopper & 747 Upper Deck Lie Flats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Apparently Palau Koror is the nicest island in Micronesia.
Palau is a lovely place, but I'd argue Kosrae is the nicest island in Micronesia.

Last edited by PVDtoDEL; Mar 7, 2017 at 8:23 pm
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:37 pm

Hafa Adai and thank you for visiting Guam! I'm glad you had a wonderful time. It seems that when Continental joined Star Alliance back in 2009, and then eventually merged with United that there are more trip reports now on the island hopper. This is great. I have flown the entire route east and west bound, and west bound is always easier on the body. Between MAJ and HNL, the island hopper used to stop on Johnston Atoll, but that stopped in the early 2000's.

Re the partitions at GUM Airport, 9/11 was the entire reason the partitions were placed down the center of that corridor, and eventual plans are for GUM to have an upper level area that will take arriving passengers directly to U.S. Immigrations (similar to IAH and EWR).
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gone Again
Just loved it.
Your trip report reminded me of the fun and adventure flying can be. I thank you so very much.
Thanks! My wife and I have had the fortune of travelling much of the world, and I think this trip still holds the record for most relaxing vacation ever.

Originally Posted by Duke777
Great report! It made me really want to to try out the Island Hopper sometime!
The Island Hopper is definitely something great for any AvGeek or travel enthusiast to try. It just does so many things in a truly unique way compared to commercial aviation in the rest of the world.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How much extra did you pay for the extra space?

I love Hawaii. Went in 1986 and would love to return.
I paid $100 something per person for Economy Plus on the Island Hopper, a 14-hour, 6-sector flight, so I considered that a true bargain. In addition to the extra legroom, E+ allows you to sit furthest towards the front of the main cabin, allowing you to deplane faster and have 30 minutes instead of 20 at places like MAJ, KSA, PNI or TKK.

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Great post!
Thanks! And I see you're from the DC area too!

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Palau is a lovely place, but I'd argue Kwajalein is the nicest island in Micronesia.
I always thought KWA was part of the Marshall Islands. Wasn't allowed off the plane there though.

Originally Posted by trust77
Hafa Adai and thank you for visiting Guam! I'm glad you had a wonderful time. It seems that when Continental joined Star Alliance back in 2009, and then eventually merged with United that there are more trip reports now on the island hopper. This is great. I have flown the entire route east and west bound, and west bound is always easier on the body. Between MAJ and HNL, the island hopper used to stop on Johnston Atoll, but that stopped in the early 2000's.

Re the partitions at GUM Airport, 9/11 was the entire reason the partitions were placed down the center of that corridor, and eventual plans are for GUM to have an upper level area that will take arriving passengers directly to U.S. Immigrations (similar to IAH and EWR).
Thanks for the explanation! Hope GUM gets to upgrade the airport at some point. Still, for a UA hub, I found it small enough to not be intimidating. The United Club in GUM is small but the agents there were great.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:22 pm

Great report! Kauai is a lovely place, and that 747 photo is amazing. It's still sad to see them going.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aoumd

I always thought KWA was part of the Marshall Islands. Wasn't allowed off the plane there though.

Oops, I mistyped. Meant to say Kosrae.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: QF, EK
This is a fantastic TR! Thank you for sharing your adventure. Excellent photos that really illustrate your journey.

I went back and read your previous TR of the Island Hopper that didn't go quite to plan - also a fantastic read. Where better than the middle of the Pacific to have a delay as you jog between island atolls?

Like some others have posted above me, that is a gorgeous photo of the 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.