'Summer' Skiing in Chile via DL J with LA Y

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:39 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Return flight to Santiago on LA Y via Puerto Montt

Departure.terminal at.Presidente Carlos Ibáñez del Campo International Airport

With another drive back to Punta Arenas, I decided to leave about 4 hours before my flight to give me some time to top up my fuel. What I did was fill up gas at Puerto Natales and drive as efficiently as possible as I was able to return it 3/4 full which was what I received the car with. The slightly heavy rain along the drive back helped to wash the car of the mud and grime accumulated over the past few days and made it easier for me to return the car at the airport.

Check-in desks

Apparently, I arrived earlier than scheduled as I did just use up 1/4 of the gas in the tank and received an ok from the car rental agent. With that I collected my luggage and checked in for my next flight back to Santiago. For the evening flight back, there was only the option to fly via Puerto Montt. That extended the length of the flight but I was fine with it since I had no plans that night anyway.

Restaurant at the airport

Check-in was fast since there was no one in the queue as I arrived quite early. That meant I got processed quickly and was given my boarding pass. With that in hand, I had time to look at the shops for souvenirs and there are some shops selling Patagonian king crabs and seafood for visitors to bring back, but with no interest in those, I head up to the restaurant for a meal since I was a bit hungry as I just had a small snack for lunch.

Chilean king crab sandwich with lettuce and mayo

I ordered a king crab sandwich that had lots of fresh lettuce, tomato and mayo. Apparently a lot of food are served with mayo and lettuce in Chile! While simple the freshness of the ingredients and the sweetness of the crab made it a tasty treat that gave me good farewell moments in Patagonia.

Souvenir shop past security check

After having my meal, I quickly proceed to go past security since I started to see more crowds checking in, and I did not want to get caught in a queue. Past through the security there is a fairly large souvenir store that also sells snacks, drinks and magazines. There is also a Pacific Club lounge that admits passengers who have a list of credit cards.

Pacific Club lounge at the airport

LA284 Presidente Carlos Ibáñez del Campo International Airport PUQ - Puerto Montt El Tepual International Airport PMC - Santiago Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport SCL
STD-STA: 1920-2355
Actual: 1926-2120/2210-2326
Airbus A320 CC-BAW (LAN Colombia plane)
Gate 2 Seat 15J

There was nothing else of interest in the terminal since it was a small airport, but maintained very well and functional for travellers. It had snowed a bit just now in the airport but the snow seems to have melted and there did not seem to be any cause for delay as I watched them load the airplane.

Boarding a LAN Colombia airplane

Very soon, the boarding announcement was made and being in the middle row, I followed the queue to board first. A bit of a mistake really since I had an aisle seat this time and I was the first in my row to arrive. Fortunately the other 2 passengers arrived not long after. No luck in getting an empty middle seat then.

Boarding the all-economy A320

What I noticed this time was that the crew was in some kind of hurry as the boarding was conducted and completed quickly and it seems like they are in a rush to depart as soon as possible. I figure it is due to the stopover at Puerto Montt.

Seating onboard LAN's A320

The first segment of the flight went smoothly. There was a snack and beverage service where I got a mixed nuts package and the yogurt cereal bar. The yogurt cereal bar was actually my favourite amongst the varieties of snacks that LAN gives out. The cabin crew was also very graceful in giving me a glass of water and orange juice. Pretty standard procedure for what is my fourth flight on LAN.

First inflight snack service

It was less than 2 hours on the air before we made a descent into Puerto Montt with the crew advising passengers bound for Santiago to stay on the plane. Probably half of the passengers disembarked from the flight. After the disembarkation, the crew quickly made their rounds to count the remaining passengers and clear any rubbish.

Cabin during first portion of the flight

I was quite surprised at their efficiency as my last stopover flight on Air India was not that quick at their turnaround. Apparently new passengers boarded the plane and again it was a very orderly and quick process. The other 2 seats beside me were occupied once again as it seems the passengers that disembarked was fully replaced by those who boarded from Puerto Montt.

We were on the ground for less than an hour before taking-off once again heading further north. The second segment was shorter than the first and the crew went about to conduct the second service for passengers departing from Punta Arenas. Another round of snacks where passengers were given 2 choices. This time I took the cheese crackers and another yogurt cereal bar.

Second.snack service for the flight to.Santiago

During the first segments of the flight, I head to the lavatory where I discovered a clean space and it was also stocked with amenities like plastic cups and hand soap for passengers. Service during the flight was friendly and fast so that the flight managed to be on-time for arrival. In fact we even arrived earlier than scheduled. With the quick baggage claim and another Uber ride, I was able to head for a nice sleep for the night after my adventure in Patagonia marked a new high for my Chilean vacation.

Amenities inside the lavatory

The return flight onboard LAN once again showed a level of professionalism for the airline and really showed good value. The ability to pick seats, get complimentary checked luggage with free onboard beverages and snacks made me realize why there is not much room for budget airlines in Chile especially with the competitive and good value fares that LAN has. I would even say my experience flying LAN domestically made me confident of flying with them internationally in the future.

Last edited by quirrow; Feb 7, 2016 at 4:00 am
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Delta Sky Club in Santiago

Check-in desks

Since I had a late departure out of Santiago, I had went out to explore more of the city. The late check-out from Sheraton Santiago helps as well, and I ordered an Uber to bring me to the airport. My experience of using Uber in Santiago is pretty good and the ride to the airport was no different with a friendly local driver who once worked in a container ship as we exchange travel stories along the way.

Long queues for the US bound flights

As I arrived at the airport once again, I knew where to check-in. Sky Priority saved the day as it was chaotic during the late afternoon with a lot of passengers bound for the American and Delta flights to the United States. There was 2 Sky Priority counters and both were occupied when I arrived but I was served shortly afterwards.

Sky Priority check-in desks

It was a friendly exchange as I handed over my passport to the agent and had my luggage checked all the way to Toronto. After checking all my requisite visa and entry documents, I was provided with my boarding pass. However there was no mention of the lounge and in my haste, I forgot to ask as well.

Lifts to LAN Lounge

With some time to spare, I browsed through the souvenir store at the terminal then decided it best to go through passport check and security considering the huge crowd still checking in.

Duty free shops in Santiago airport SCL

Once through security, passengers need to bypass the duty free shop before entering the terminal proper. Then I followed the signs for the airport lounges. It turns out Delta actually has a Sky Club in Santiago but it was not that easy to find. Delta's Sky Club is located close to the duty free section near gate 18, and the lounge is located one floor below, opposite the Voyager lounge.

Food court in the terminal

Delta Sky Club entrance

On entering, I had a very enthusiastic receptionist who commented on my retro Fuji X-E1 camera. It seems Fuji cameras do get a lot of attention for its design as it is probably the n-th time I was commented for it. Since I was intending to spend the day exploring Atlanta during my layover, I asked for a shower room. She gave a call to the staff inside the lounge for fresh towels to be prepared, and I was all set to have a nice bath.

Sky Club reception

There is only a couple of shower room at the end of the lounge but it was a nice facility. With lots of space for the luggage, I was able to extract my bath amenities. However the state of the shower was dismal as the rainshower was cracked though and there was no holder for the handheld shower head. There is a wall mounted shampoo and shower gel but not much else, though fresh towels wrapped in plastic was provided. Not exactly the best shower room in a lounge but it was alright for a quick shower.

Shower room in the lounge

After the shower I head to the lounge which has a nice selection of magazines and newspapers including French ones to cater for Air France guests.

Seated in the lounge

Magazine stand

The lounge is quite small in size and has a main seating area in the centre but that portion is lit up dimly with a blue lighting. My preference is to sit near the shower entrance with the TV and magazines. There is also some bar stools and tables for those keen to have a table to work or have a snack.

Central seating area

Bar stool and table

On the buffet counter, there was a hot vegetable soup on offer with some bread. Other snacks includes muffins, pastries, cut fruits, and nachos. There is also a section that stocks up on a variety of Chilean wines along with large bowls of mixed nuts and crackers.

Buffet counter

Vegetable soup and croutons

I got some soup first to warm myself up and relax for a while before getting a glass of wine along with some snacks to enjoy while surfing the web. The wifi was actually quite good in the lounge which was very useful since there was no free wifi in the terminal. Not long after that, boarding was called for in the lounge and I collected my belongings to prepare to board the flight back north.

Wines and nuts

Quiet corner in the lounge

While I did not really spend a long time in the terminal, it was an average facility to spend time while waiting. At least the wifi comes in handy and there was some decent snacks and wines that would be a great memory of Chile before I left the country.

Last edited by quirrow; Feb 7, 2016 at 3:55 am
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Great trip again as always.

It seems that Valle Nevado was having a bit of a snow shortage. I visited in August 2011 and it seemed to have some bare patches off the runs like you had in some of your photographs.

Santiago reminds me of Vancouver (without the water). I think it's the proximity of the mountains.

I didn't see any Pisco Sour photographs however. . .

Travel safe.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:10 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Great trip again as always.

It seems that Valle Nevado was having a bit of a snow shortage. I visited in August 2011 and it seemed to have some bare patches off the runs like you had in some of your photographs.

Santiago reminds me of Vancouver (without the water). I think it's the proximity of the mountains.

I didn't see any Pisco Sour photographs however. . .

Travel safe.
Indeed, the snow cover over the ski resorts around Santiago was not that great. However had a great pow day in Nevados de Chillan. I noticed the similarity between Santiago and Vancouver too, having snow capped mountains as the backdrop to a city skyline makes for a postcard perfect scene!

As for pisco sours, I had a couple but not much in the form of photos
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Delta Boeing 767-300ER in J from SCL to ATL

Onboard Delta ONE

Boarding was called inside the lounge, and it was on-time such that the process has already started when I reached the gate which is a short walk from the lounge. An interesting feature along the walk is that the immigrations and customs can be observed from the terminal itself with a glass window separating them and I saw the long queues during for immigration at this time.

View of the security line from the terminal

As I arrived at the gate, I managed to get a shot of the plane with a sunset since there was another security check after the boarding pass check just before heading into the aerobridge. I believe this applies to all US-bound flights.

DL146 operated by a Boeing 767-300ER

DL146 Santiago Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez SCL - Atlanta Hartsfield–Jackson ATL
STD-STA: 2045-0540
Actual: 2105-0524
Boeing 767-300ER N-1501
Gate 14 Seat 5D

There was little assistance as I boarded the plane and many of the passengers have already gotten seated in the cabin. On the outbound I was seated on the 'A' side and I took the 'D' side for the return flight.

Delta's staggered Business Class cabin

On my seat was a duvet, a nice comfortable pillow (Westin Heavenly branded), the TUMI Kit in a different soft case design, a headphone and a bottle of Dasani water. There was also a tasty packet of nuts for guests to enjoy while waiting to board.

On-seat amenities

Boarding took a while and the crew was busy too. Orange juice, mimosa and champagne was offered as welcome drinks. The 2 main cabin crews serving the Business Class cabin today was Kevin and Jane. Kevin took the meal orders from passengers while we were on the ground while Jane offered newspapers but only the Spanish language El Mercurio is available. She apologized for the lack of other options and while they were not overly friendly like some US airlines' crews, they were extremely professional and have a very pleasant at interacting with the passengers.

Orange juice as welcome drink

The flight turns out to be a really full flight today on both classes. Up front, the only empty seat was 5A for the pilot resting area. One of the passengers even remarked how she nearly was not able to get a seat on this flight.

Seat 5A with curtains for the crew rest

Perhaps due to the crew rest being on the 'A' side, I actually like the ambience on the 'D' side better since it seems to be brighter. Otherwise the seats works out fine for the average passenger, and should pose no challenge to those 180cm (5ft 9) and below.

View from my seat

Centre seats in the Business Class cabin

Santiago is also quite pleasant in terms of take-off and landing since there does not seem to be any long waits on the tarmac. After take-off, there was a couple of announcements before hot towels were distributed by the crew.

Take off from Santiago

The meal service started almost immediately, with Jane serving my aisle and Kevin serving the other aisle. I had barely time to even choose my movie yet and I believe the early service works out well for passengers wishing to get to sleep since this is a flight that would not see any daylight.

Inflight service commencing

Drinks order are taken while the starter canapés was served. However what was weird was the inflight service manager came over and wanted to take away my plate of untouched canapés. I was like I have not even started, as I was selecting my movie to watch while dining.

The menu for the flight was as follows:

In the end, I opted to watch 'San Andreas', which was just an average disaster movie. The movie selections on Delta was not bad and probably on par with most international airlines, though still a notch below Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific.

Inflight entertainment choices

Canapés served were quite good and did not disappoint. Portions for the starters was also quite large so no nit-picking here.

Canapes of Tortilla Espanola with Bresaola, Manchego and Tomato jam

I also got 2 drinks to start with, first the coke with lemon that I asked while having the starters. Next I was also offered some red wine and I thought why not?

Coke with lemon

Glass of red wine

Next came the soup and salad which was served together. The soup was tasty but the salad was not to my liking as it was overly crunchy. Even though the colours are nice, it was quite messy and dry.

Spring mix salad and wild mushroom soup

For the main course I got the chicken but because Jane was not the one who took the order, she did not know and there was the plate of beef on her other hand. The chicken was better than I expected and the gravy was perfect since it didn't smear the whole dish to make it soggy so the chicken preserved its crunchy texture.

Chicken breast stuffed with mushrooms and provolone cheese

What was weird was that the vegetables served with the chicken was asparagus and not brussels sprouts as indicated on the menu. After the main course Jane reappeared with the dessert tray, which is probably the best thing in the meal service for US-based airlines.

Dessert trolley

Sundae toppings and sweet treats

There was the classic ice cream sundae with a variety of toppings, sweet treats in small cubes and berries with cheese. I chose to have the ice cream, strawberries and a small piece of the chocolate cake.

Ice cream sundae with strawberries and Sauternes

When the meal was over, the crew dimmed the cabin lights to allow passengers to rest, and I reclined my seat to a lie-flat position to enjoy the remaining of the movie.

Some inflight entertainment before sleeping

Once the lavatory was empty, I got around to brushing my teeth and got another bottle of water from the crew before making the bed on my lie-flat seat. The bedding amenities like the Westin Heavenly branded pillows and duvet did make a difference in the comfort when sleeping. I especially like the larger pillows they offered as it was a lot more supportive.

Westin Heavenly pillow

Preparing the seat with a duvet

The sleep was so good that it was not until we were off the coast of Florida that I woke up with one and a half hours to go before arrival.

Waking up off the coast of Florida

Once the crew saw me awake, they offered me orange juice and brought along a refreshing towel which was a nice touch.

Orange juice in the morning

More refreshing hand towels

Since I already picked my breakfast option, I was asked if I wanted coffee, and whether I wanted any condiments. I got some coffee with milk and Delta serves decent coffee, meaning it is drinkable but I would not rate is as the best coffee in an airline.

Coffee with milk

I got the omelet for my breakfast and it was substantial enough since there was pastries and ham on top of the omelet along with a fruit bowl. Overall it was a nice breakfast that would last me until lunch time in Atlanta.

Feta cheese and spinach omelet for breakfast

After the breakfast service, the lavatories got a bit occupied since it was full flight and many passengers were keen to freshen up before landing. During this time, Kevin came around the cabin to give out chocolates before final approach to thank us all for our support of Delta.

Chocolate before landing

It was not even daylight yet as we went on to land in Atlanta and probably at this time of the day, I was expecting us to be one of the first few airplanes to land and hoping for a quick immigration clearance. However it was not to be the case since there was some European flights arriving before us and it made for a long queue at the immigration resulting in an hour of wait before clearing immigration. By then it was just nice to catch the sunrise as I took the free shuttle bus from the International Terminal to the Domestic Terminal on the other end of the airport.

Delta Business Class cabin on the 767-300ER

Overall the return flight was as good as the outbound and I think Delta has a very nice business class service that seems consistent with crews that can combine professionalism with friendliness. The fact that Business Class is like the highest classes on most of their flights (Delta operates a private charter division), premium passengers do get very good service and meals that I enjoy more than the other 2 US carriers (ie. United and American).

Arrivals at Atlanta Airport

Sunrise from the shuttle bus between terminals

Last edited by quirrow; Mar 5, 2016 at 11:39 pm
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:40 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Delta Boeing 717 between ATL and YYZ

With a relatively long layover, I used the time to get out of the airport to visit Atlanta for a bit. Photos from the layover are in my blog, for anyone wishing to read them.

Delta check-in area at ATL

With my luggage was already tagged all the way to Toronto, I arrived back at the terminal via the convenient MARTA train service. Perhaps due to the long layover time, I had to get my boarding pass in Atlanta and that meant getting it at the counter since there was some document check that needs to be done. Delta has a vast operation here in Atlanta considering it is their largest hub, and it certainly shows with the numbers of counters and self check-in machines. I tried to self check-in where the machine informed me of a full flight and asked if I wanted to volunteer to change flights. That's a drawback of using self check-in machines right there and the fact they do not tell you where to go to.

Atrium at Atlanta past security

After getting my boarding pass, I was unsure where I should head to so I had to walk around to find the priority security queue. The good thing was the security officers who gave prompt information on which side has shorter queues. During the mid-afternoon, the security queues here is probably average, not the longest I have seen but not empty either. I had to wait probably 10 minutes or so before I was through.

The most non-stops out of Atlanta

With some time before my flight and having been to some of the Sky Clubs in Atlanta, I walked around the main terminal first before taking the train to the E concourse area since my flight to Canada is considered an international flight. That also meant being able to spot some of the Delta wide-body airplanes, along with re-visiting the Sky Club near the E gates.

Reception at Delta Sky Club

DL1874 Atlanta Hartsfield–Jackson ATL - Toronto Pearson YYZ
STD-STA: 1455-1717
Actual: 1523-1701
Boeing 717-200
Gate E36 Seat 2A

Since boarding was not called for in the lounge, I left the lounge at the boarding time printed on the pass. As I reached the gate, there seems to be some delay as the flight is not boarding yet. This meant waiting around the gate since I did not want to walk back to the lounge. The flight departure time was now showing 1515, a delay of 20 minutes which in all considerations is not a cause to worry.

Business Class seats onboard the 717

I waited for another 20 minutes or so before the boarding was called with Sky Priority passengers boarding next after passengers requiring assistance.

Nice fresh upholstery

We had a very comical CSM Washington who was very jovial in welcoming passengers and rushing them to not block the aisle by saying front loading door will be closed in minutes! It was just hilarious to watch from my seat.

Onboard a classic Boeing 717-200

There was no welcome drink for this flight though but bottled water was provided on every Business Class seat.

Dasani bottled water

Halfway through the boarding process, my seatmate arrived. She is apparently visiting a friend in Toronto.

Boarding the Boeing 717

One of the reason I picked this flight was that it is a Boeing 717, a relatively unique airplane based on the MD-80 design, and only getting the current designation after McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing. This was my first time onboard one of these airplanes so it was interesting to see the difference compared to other regional jets.

Safety instruction card

For starters, business class seating is a 2-2 while economy was in a 2-3 confifuration. As such I believe the economy class seating on these planes should be quite comfortable considering the Embraers that Air Canada uses have the same configuration but a 1-2 seating in business class.

Another Boeing 717

Delta is by far the largest operator of these reliable jets and they are quite common in Atlanta. I also liked what they did with the bright blue upholstery, which was also comfortable for this ride to Toronto. However I would not say the 717 has the most legroom or the widest seat since the seats feel quite small.

Legroom on the flight

Boarding was done very efficiently and the crew strived for a fast turnaround and there was also no queue for take off which certainly speed things up a bit. While it was a clear day, there was a lot of smog building up around the city which made the views slightly blurred as we got higher.

Skyline of Atlanta during take-off

The flight flew around the city of Atlanta as we turned our bearings to head north. This meant we flew past the DeKalb Peachtree airport and Lake Lanier. Fine pleasant weather meant it was a clear view of the ground throughout with minimal turbulence.

DeKalb Peachtree Airport

Lake Lanier in Georgia State

Shortly after passing Lake Lanier, cabin crew passed around the snack basket which had a choice of bananas, pretzel snacks, nuts and chips. She also took our drink orders at the same time.

Inflight snack service

Kettle cooked chips

After distributing the snacks, she came around with drink orders where I had a ginger ale.

Ginger ale onboard

I relaxed on the seat and read a book while munching on my chips throughout the flight. For a relatively older plane, it seems to be renovated since the lights, air vents and overhead compartments looks cleane to me.

Overhead compartment

Lights and air vent on the Boeing 717

During the middle of the flight, the Captain for the flight was very welcoming and even offered to point out Niagara Falls to us on the way to Toronto. I was quite thirsty and requested for another bottle of water. However I have to request for it twice before I was provided with one. That was the only slight during the flight and I believe it was also due to the crew being busy with their tasks which caused them to forget.

Flying past Lake Erie

Once we crossed Lake Erie, we are technically flying over Canada and the sunset views was nice during our descent. Flying on these regional jets also meant being closer to the ground and having better views as we circled to land into Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Toronto Pearson Airport in view

Downsview Airport

Toronto and its surroundings

The clear weather continued but smog around the vast metropolitan city also meant the view from some angles were not really nice due to obstruction by smog. But our circular descent meant I got to see the city from various angles and that was a nice flight just for the views.

Skyline of downtown Toronto

Air Canada's Boeing 787

The novelty of taking a Boeing 717 was nice for sure and I do not mind a day flight on these jets as long as I am on the window side. Once again, there was not much to fault Delta for this flight since we did eventually arrive early. Now I just need to go through immigration and collect my luggage. The immigration in Toronto took a while since there was a lot of passengers arriving as well though nothing as long as my wait in Atlanta.

Delta Connection CRJ
Old Mar 8, 2016, 6:43 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thoughts on Chile as a travel destination

Parque Forestal springtime blooms

Chile has not really registered as a travel destination to me and the point that attracted me to this country was that I did not need a visa to travel there amd the skiing is one of the best in South America. The countries that generally comes to visitors' mind when speaking of South America is usually Brazil, Peru and Argentina.

Sunrise at Santiago with the Andes mountains as a backdrop

Cherry blossom at Cerro Santa Lucia

While I have never visited the other countries in South America, I came back from Chile feeling very overcome with the friendliness of Chileans. Landing into Chile makes visitors feel welcome, and everywhere you go from the receptionist in the hotel to the security guards at the airports, they seems happy, contented and willing to strike up a conversation with you. In general, their attitude to life seems very easy-going and sincere smile creates an atmosphere of graciousness.

Pinot Noir in the Casablanca Valley

In terms of tourist infrastructure, the country probably ranks above average than its peers. Its capital city Santiago has a very good metro and subway network that is clean and functional. Meanwhile I got to fly domestically to 3 airports and all 3 are clean, well maintained and would be a dream for most travellers. I did not find long queues or overcrowded and run down facilities. What I saw was adequate infrastructure with access to the basic needs when travelling including charging your devices on the go, tasty fast food to bring onboard flights and proper signs to direct travellers.

Concepcion Airport terminal

And there is the basic needs of safety in mind for all travellers especially when they visit a new country for the first time. In this regards, Chile is considered very safe. Aside for the need to be wary of your own personal belongings, the people in Chile are generally decent people not prone to violence. In fact, I would say they even have a laid back attitude to life unlike the West-Coasters in North America.

Avenida Santa Maria in Santiago

Something I enjoyed out of visiting Chile is the varied terrain and cuisine that the country has. Geographically, the country is a long thin strip of land extending more than 2/3 of the South American continent. This means that visitors could enjoy the beach in the north of the country and then go skiing the next day in the south of the country. From fertile plains to river valleys and majestic volcanoes, the country has so much to offer nature lovers.

Morning sunrise by the coast of Valparaiso

Magnificent Torres del Paine

This extensive natural landscape also meant fresh produce. Chile probably produces some of the most famous South American wines and they have the fresh ingredients to match those wines. Conger eels, king crabs, abalones, shellfish and sea urchin can all be obtained from the market and together they create a heaven for seafood lovers. Count me a fan of seafood in this instance.

Pastel de Choclo

Cost of living is the other benefit to travelling in Chile since dining out is not always expensive and with dishes like Steak a la pobre or translated as poor man's steak, visitors can enjoy even high-end food like steak for cheap. Even abalone is used as a topping in salsa!

Steak a la pobre

As I explored the country beyond the capital region, one word came into my mind and that was sustainability. Many developed nations have been focused on being sustainable after years of economic development and how to allow growth and development to co-exist. The way I see it, Chile's economy is pretty resilient when compared to its larger neighbours of Argentina and Brazil. The country and its citizens looks to do things step by step and there is incremental growth without the high inflation that can sometimes come with rapid development. Slow it may be, but steady is the pace of development. That means the government does not undertake wasteful development and instead tries to balance the needs with the income of the nation. In a way, that means visitors should not expect the glitziest mall or the most ground breaking amenities. But they can expect contentedness and resourcefulness of the people.

Puerto Natales in Patagonia

Alleyway in Valparaiso

The latter is even more predominant in the southern tip during my journey to Patagonia and Torres del Paine. Extreme weather conditions might have meant that part of the world is unliveable but the Chileans have built a great infrastructure for travellers to visit the area and local architects have built boutique hotels that incorporate the surroundings. In a way, that have allowed the people to harvest local fruits like calafate and hunt the guanacos for their meat, yet still retaining the beauty of the area.

Rio Paine

Cascada Paine in Torres del Paine National Park

And that sustainable way of life is what I find most worthy of the country. While there might not be the world's best ski resort or the world's most awarded restaurants, the country can offer some of the most scenic ski resorts and majestic vistas, along with some of the freshest produce and seafood. With that, I think Chile actually is one of the under-rated destinations in the world!

Museo de Arte Contemporaneo in Santiago

Torre Telefonica at night in Baquedano
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:25 am

Stunning pictures. Thank you for sharing. The slopes of Chile are now on my list.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by benjahman
Stunning pictures. Thank you for sharing. The slopes of Chile are now on my list.
Do go for it, Chile might not have the best ski lift infrastructure but I think it makes up for it elsewhere. Like their wines, cuisine and the general friendliness of Chileans.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by quirrow
One of the reason I picked this flight was that it is a Boeing 717, a relatively unique airplane based on the MD-80 design, and only getting the current designation after McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing.
For what it is worth, Hawaiian Airlines is also flying these 717's intra island. The bin space in First Class is really tight, and the seats are the older, padded barca lounge style, making the cabin a bit more compact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.