Wiki Posts
Search

The final US Airways flight: US1939 from SFO to PHL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
The final US Airways flight: US1939 from SFO to PHL

Please consider reading this post on my blog for high-resolution pictures (guaranteed ad free and no click-bait)

Introduction

After wrapping up a meeting with my academic adviser late Wednesday, I went home, exhausted and ready for bed. Before going to bed, I came across an article about the last US Airways flight, which was supposed to take place on Friday, flying across the country through all the major US Airways hubs.

I have fond memories of US Airways. Before they became Oneworld member, I regularly purchased US Airways miles to redeem them for Star Alliance awards – Dividend miles, the mileage program of US Airways, permitted some pretty creative routings. For example, I was able to ticket a trip from Munich to San Francisco with a routing via Tokyo on ANA in First Class. In addition, all US Airways tickets earned 100% of the miles in the Aegean Miles & Bonus frequent flyer program, meaning that I was able to achieve Star Alliance Gold membership (which I still have) for under $800 with cheap tickets from LA to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Initially I was thinking about using some of my British Airways Avios to redeem them for a short Indianapolis to Washington National hop on Friday night, to travel one more time on US Airways. This trip would have required me to stay overnight in Washington, plus there was no availability for the morning flight back to Indianapolis on Saturday.

Just for fun, I looked up availability for US 1939, the celebratory flight through the US – and to my surprise BA.com showed availability on the final San Francisco to Philadelphia leg. As I was trying to book it, however, the website gave me an error message and I realized that this was phantom availability – meaning there were no mile saver seats available. I checked on AA.com and it showed me, to my surprise, that there were still AAnytime awards available on the flight – a flight from San Francisco to Philadelphia and on to Indianapolis was 30,000 miles plus about $80 in fees. Just for fun, I put the award on hold.

I wasn’t really that keen on going initially, but it was one of these things which I kept thinking about. Should I really spend that many miles? Was it really worth it? I began checking prices for a positioning flight to San Francisco. Last minute tickets were about $300 from Indianapolis and $200 from Chicago. I was hoping that American would open up some award saver seats on Thursday so I decided to make my decision then.

The next day, on Thursday, I checked flights again and unfortunately no award saver seats opened up. I pondered my decision a little while longer. In the afternoon, I decided to pull the trigger on the ticket and booked my positioning flight to San Francisco on United. I also purchased my AA award and needed to shell out another $90 for one of the last Choice window seats available. I was all set for Friday and looking forward to a very special flight on US Airways.

About flight US 1939

US 1939 is a special flight to celebrate the end of the US Airways brand. As of October 17th 2015, all flights only carry an American Airlines code and all references to US Airways are gone, along with usairways.com. US 1939 made four stops along its route across the U.S. It departed at 10:36 am EDT October-16 2015 from Philadelphia for its first destination, Charlotte, where it arrived at 11:57 am. The next segment took the flight to Phoenix. US 1939 then left Phoenix for San Francisco. For its last segment, US 1939 left San Francisco, Gate 45B at 10:07 pm PDT October 16th and was the very last US Airways flight to take-off. US 1939 touched down in Philadelphia at 05:52 am on October 17th 2015 and signaled the end of US Airways, once and for all.

Route of US1939

San Francisco

Friday was an amazing day to fly in the Midwest – the sun was shining and it was reasonably warm with about 60 degrees. My positioning flights on United were amazing (more on that in a separate trip report) and I arrived in San Francisco pretty much on time at 5:59 pm. We docket at one of the non-refurbished gates in Terminal 3 and I quickly exited and turned left to walk over to Terminal 2. I wasn’t quite sure whether US Airways check-in was still located in Terminal 1 or if they had already moved to the American check-in area in Terminal 2. The night before the flight, I received an US Airways standard email advising me to check-in at Terminal 1.

As soon as I walked up to Terminal 2, there was a sign indicating that Check-in for flights to Phoenix, Charlotte and Philadelphia was now located in Terminal 2.

Sign to Check-In for US Airways flights

American and US Airways Check-In at SFO Terminal 2

As soon as I entered the terminal, I could see that there was something special going on. There were balloons and people taking pictures. I went to one of the Priority Check-In desks to get my very last US Airways boarding passes. I asked the check-in agent whether he had any information regarding the celebrations tonight and while he wasn’t rude, he wasn’t very friendly either, telling me that he had no clue but assumed that there was some kind of event – not very helpful.

American Check-In at Terminal 2

My last US Airways boarding passes

I made my way to the security checkpoint, where I only waited about 5 minutes until it was my turn to go through the “nude-o-scope”. I don’t know what it is lately, but these full body scanners do not seem to like me. I needed to go through the TSA pat-down routine, which happens to me about one out of two times unfortunately and wow, I understand how some people could see this as being too intrusive.

After clearing security, I entered Terminal 2 and it sure looks nice. At this point it was only 6:40 pm but I decided nevertheless to walk over to Terminal 1 to check out what was going on there.

Sign pointing passengers to US Airways flights

They were just setting up the area and I could see that there was catering, but it looked like it would be another hour or so until the festivities would start. I walked back to Terminal 2 and got some drinks at the Admirals Club.

While the club is certainly nicely furbished and adequate for the flights American has at San Francisco, the offering in terms of food left a lot to be desired. I have to say that the food at the United Clubs blows American’s offering out of the water. There were some crumbled Pita chips, some meh tasting hummus, olives and some soup.

Admirals Club Food Spread

I used my premium drinks voucher to get a Hendricks Gin and Tonic and got a small plate with some food to nibble on. The Admirals Club has plastic utensils only, compared to metal utensils offered at United Clubs.

Drink at Admirals Club

Admirals Club SFO

Admirals Club Bar

After finishing my drinks and food, I wrote some posts in the US Airways thread on Flyertalk to see whether anyone else was in the club but no one appeared to be there. I could hear some people discussing US Airways related topic and as it turned out, the two guys were also passengers on US 1939. At around 8 pm I left the club and headed over to Gate 45 in Terminal 1.

Airside walkway to Terminal 1
The gate area was already pretty crowded at that point. Music was playing and US Airways put out some pretty nice food for passengers and other attendees. I particularly liked the huge cake with the US Airways logo on it.

SFO Gate 45

There was an Airbus stand and the gave out some key chains and bag tags.

Airbus Stand

The people at the stand were giving out these tags:

Bag tag

Buffet at gate area

US Airways cake

The atmosphere at the gate was wonderful. It was a nice mix of regular passengers, some of which did not even know that this was a special flight, US Airways employees and media people. I could tell that many passengers were US Airways flight attendees and many were clearly very emotional about this very last US Airways flight. Ed Colodny, a former USAir CEO, joined the flight and some people took selfies with him and lined up to get his signature on their boarding pass.

Selfie with Ed Colodny

As the boarding time got closer, the crew arrived and I was able to snap a quick picture of them.

Crew of final US1939 leg

At around 9:05 pm, Denise Marrs, the San Francisco station manager addressed the passengers and welcomed them to this very special flight. I was a little bit surprised that no American Airlines senior leadership was there, but I imagine they must have been busy with the systems migration at midnight or they just did not care.

Speech by SFO station manager

Soon, First Class passengers were called to board, followed by Zone 1. It was pretty messy but given the circumstances, I did not mind the chaos.
As I was lining up to board, I overheard two passengers behind me talking about how they are annoyed about all this celebration. They said that they would have booked a different flight would they have known. Now I get it – you were probably expecting to get some shut eye on this flight, but really? US Airways gave them free food and other goodies and I couldn’t help but turn around and tell them that I am sure they could get re-booked on some other flight, as there were probably many people wanting to get on that flight.

Boarding

About to board

Once I boarded, I got an American Airlines Heritage Amenity Kit, along with a commemorative coin.

American Airlines Amenity Kit with US Airways Logo

Commemorative coin

Officials saying goodbye to the passengers

Former logos

On-board

On board, I snapped a picture of one of our flight attendants, who started her career at Allegheny and proudly displayed her original uniform to showcase it.

Lovely flight attendant with her Allegheny uniform

It was soon time to close the doors and I could see that there were a ton of people on the ramp taking pictures of our plane as it pushed back.

Cabin during boarding

Cabin shot during boarding

On board, the flight attendants struggled to stow this huge cake with the US Airways logo on it for take-off.

What to do with this huge US Airways cake?

I was seated in the same row as a customer service supervisor based in Raleigh Durham and even though he has only been working at US Airways for a couple of years, he was visibly very moved by the moment. In the middle seat, a passenger who did not know this was a special flight at all was seated and he basically fell asleep right after take-off and missed out on all the special activities on–board.

Soon after take-off, the flight attendants started to distribute champagne to the passengers – this was probably the first and last time in recent history that US Airways offered free champagne to its coach passengers. It was Lanson Black Label Brut, which retails for about $39 a bottle – not too bad.

Plastic glass of champagne

Once we reached cruising altitude, the crew made an PA and passengers cheered on US Airways. In my opinion, celebrating the end in this way was a very nice to way to end the US Airways chapter in American aviation history. Countless other airlines simply ceased their operations from one day to the other and having the opportunity to plan a celebratory flight is a luxury not afforded to most carriers ceasing to exist.

One final cheers to US Airways

There was a great, but somewhat subdued atmosphere on board. The crew distributed a cookie with the US Airways logo on it to all passengers and the biggest surprise was that all passengers on-board received a free and complimentary meal – pretty unusual on US Airways flights but appropriate for this special flight. The crackers were good but the sandwich was unfortunately still frozen – but I still give US Airways an A for its effort to give passengers a free meal.

US Airways Cookie

Snack box

US Airways logo on napkin

As the flight progressed, it got quieter on the plane. Most people got some shuteye and I also slept for an hour or so. Although Wi-Fi was available, a flight pass was about $35 and I decided against it – United charges $3 an hour, so the price seemed pretty excessive. We flew by Chicago and I was able to take this impressive picture.

Chicago

Soon it was time to descend to Philadelphia. Flight US 1939 touched down at PHL and we taxied to the gate. I was surprised that we did not get a water-canon salute.

Gate arrival

Philadelphia

As we docket at gate A12, people slowly got up and left what was the final US Airways flight in history. To my surprise, there was quite a crowd waiting for the passengers as they disembarked, cheering and celebrating the moment. It was really impressive, given the early hour and I certainly appreciated the moment.

Reception at Philadelphia

Conclusion

Looking back on my journey, I was glad to have been on this very special US Airways flight. I met some very interesting people along the way and it is safe to say that this was a once in a lifetime experience. The US airline industry has gone through an incredible phase of consolidation and we are down to four major carriers. It is unlikely that we will see any big mergers in the years to come and even though I have no special emotional bond with US Airways, it was still a great experience.

US Airways goodies

Cocktail Moment

Rachel Maddow did a segment on US 1939 Friday night:

http://on.msnbc.com/1LpQHP4

I actually mixed this "Aviation" cocktail about a year ago so I had all the ingredients for it. If Rachel Maddow can do it, so can I. One final cheers to US Airways.

Mixing the "Aviation" cocktail

Cheers to US Airways

If you would like to mix the cocktail yourself, here is the recipe. But be advised, it's a pretty dry cocktail:

1.5 oz Gin
0.75 oz Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
0.5 oz Maraschino Liqueur
Table spoon of Creme de Violette
Put all of this in a cocktail mixer and strain it before pouring it into a Martini glass

Last edited by LukasVIE; Oct 18, 2015 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Sky Miles
Makes me sad - and I rarely flew USAirways.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by kathykathy
Having flown them all over the US last month, along with AA (much better), their last flight makes me very happy.

Nice TR also, kind of cool to be on an airlines last ever flight.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
What a great TR! I know several former employees who made the journey and I heard it was a very sentimental one. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, that's the first time (and probably last) I've seen champagne in Y!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Thanks for sharing this!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great TR, thanks for sharing ^. The end of an era indeed.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Excellent trip report!!!!!! Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Originally Posted by kathykathy
kathykathy I was also moved by the moment, as non-US Airways employee and not very frequent US Airways traveler

Originally Posted by stevie
Having flown them all over the US last month, along with AA (much better), their last flight makes me very happy.

Nice TR also, kind of cool to be on an airlines last ever flight.
stevie Whatever one thinks of US Airways, they did a great job with their last flight!

Originally Posted by brewdog11
What a great TR! I know several former employees who made the journey and I heard it was a very sentimental one. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, that's the first time (and probably last) I've seen champagne in Y!
brewdog11 Yes and yes - lots of current and former US Airways employees on the flight - it was a great atmosphere and we probably had 10 pilots on board too!
They even offered champagne to passengers during service after the cheers

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Thanks for sharing this!
rob_flies_ua You're very welcome I was glad I was able to document it!

Originally Posted by Madone59
Great TR, thanks for sharing ^. The end of an era indeed.
Madone59 It was a once in a lifetime moment for sure

Originally Posted by fly747first
Excellent trip report!!!!!! Thank you.
fly747first You're very welcome!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Thank you for sharing this special moment. My first job in the industry was with HP at the PHX flight center. Heard from a friend who is at AA that the number of non-revs listed for SFO-PHL was in the 4 digits and the list died when it hit 999.

Glad you enjoyed your flight
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Let me also add that this was an excellent report, thank you so much for posting it.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Let me also add that this was an excellent report, thank you so much for posting it.
Agreed. I'm waiting for an inaugural/final flight that appeals enough to me to figure out the expenses and logistics, so until then, I just have other peoples reports.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Tremendous trip report. Glad you were part of it and wish I could have been there too!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:22 pm

Great post and great photos. And a heck of a terrific looking food spread at the PHX gate!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you so much again for your kind words!

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
Thank you for sharing this special moment. My first job in the industry was with HP at the PHX flight center. Heard from a friend who is at AA that the number of non-revs listed for SFO-PHL was in the 4 digits and the list died when it hit 999.

Glad you enjoyed your flight
hansyuwiwb I heard from the customer service supervisor seated in my row that SHARES indeed couldn't handle the amount of standby passengers! He said it was a combined 2000 standby passengers - but most of them just put their names on the list for sentimental reasons so they did not show up to the airport!

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thank you CMK10 it was such an amazing trip I had to share it!

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agreed. I'm waiting for an inaugural/final flight that appeals enough to me to figure out the expenses and logistics, so until then, I just have other peoples reports.
That's one of the great things about being a studen tkrazykanuck... my schedule is pretty flexible

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Tremendous trip report. Glad you were part of it and wish I could have been there too!
Thank you MatthewLAX but it looks like you have some experience with "special occasion flights" yourself

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Great post and great photos. And a heck of a terrific looking food spread at the PHX gate!
Thank you bowdenj, the food spread was at SFO though, I heart that they only offered cookies and sandwiches at PHX!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:27 pm

US Airways used to fly me home from college. I still largely fly American (on different routes), but I'm going to miss the airline. Thanks for the trip report.

Last edited by Oformula; Oct 19, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.