Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Bergen, Oslo and Paris via SAS All-Business 737 and home via Air France La Première

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bergen, Oslo and Paris via SAS All-Business 737 and home via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Great instalment SFO777- really got me in the mood for our forthcoming weekend break in Bergen.

I had been looking at the Norway in a Nutshell tour. The website implies its a "personal" tour but it seems from your pictures that its just on public transport. Given that what was the benefit of booking via the tour company.

Having been to NZ and done Doubtful Sound, it seems that unlike at Doubtful, the trip can be done solo very easily.

Originally Posted by bj27
My family and I did the reverse version of this tour back in July... We went:
Oslo to Myrdal via Train in Komfort Klass (well worth the supplement charge for such a long journey)
Myrdal to Flam via Flam Railway,
Flam to Gudvangen via ferry,
Gudvangen to Voss via bus,
Voss to Bergen via train...

We didn't want to lug around luggage but the transfers didn't look too difficult... They connections are coordinated so you never have to walk too far. It WAS much nicer not having to deal with luggage. The porter picked up our big bags early morning and delivered them to our hotel In Bergen before we got there... We felt it was worth the $25/piece charge. You can book at Porterservice.no by shooting them an email and coordinating pickup and drop off. No online reservations... Seemed very old world but was perfectly executed. They also take credit cards which is great. We would recommend the porter service if you don't want to deal with your luggage. My parents are getting a little olde so it was a nice convenience.

Highly recommend the Norway in a Nutshell. I did the legwork and purchased all the tickets separately independent of NiaN (saved $500 USD for the three of us) but worked great. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Thats useful. As I have noted above I take it these nutshell tours just simply use public transport? Any guidance you can provide on obtaining tickets would be appreciated via PM.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 11:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Great instalment SFO777- really got me in the mood for our forthcoming weekend break in Bergen.

I had been looking at the Norway in a Nutshell tour. The website implies its a "personal" tour but it seems from your pictures that its just on public transport. Given that what was the benefit of booking via the tour company.

Having been to NZ and done Doubtful Sound, it seems that unlike at Doubtful, the trip can be done solo very easily.

Thats useful. As I have noted above I take it these nutshell tours just simply use public transport? Any guidance you can provide on obtaining tickets would be appreciated via PM.
Yes, it's not "guided" in any way, though they do have Norway in a Nutshell signs here and there to guide you. It's all public transport and bookable separately, though the only thing that we we're anxious about is the bus from Gudvangen to Voss since you can't buy those online. We just paid in cash to board the bus. I can't remember how much but you can look up the fare on Kystbussen.no. I believe the bus route is 990.

The great thing is that if the first bus fills up they will send another bus to pick everyone else up, no one gets left behind.

I think booking through NiaN definitely saves a lot of hassle so if you don't feel like booking all the tickets (it took me 7-8 hours to piece it all together) then I would book through them. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

Great report so far SFO777. Brings back good memories
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
Originally Posted by SFO777
Flam-Myrdal
The Flam Railway
4:05P-5:03P
September 15, 2015

Self-proclaimed as one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world, it was pretty scenic and interesting as we climbed nearly 1,000 meters in 20 kilometers.

fun fact: that engine train is actually styled by Pininfarina...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by bludnik
fun fact: that engine train is actually styled by Pininfarina...
Interesting. If you made me guess, I'd have said it was styled by Rimowa.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bretteee
My aunts went to Norway 30 years ago in June, and they had a "heat wave." Quite unexpected.
They loved their trip but said the food was mediocre.
Would love to go there one day.
I assume you went in September and the weather was already bad / raining.
So I assume it's better to go July / August.
However the midnight sun I think is in June. Not sure.
Thanks Bretteee. Yeah, the summer weather was long gone by the time we arrived. Food was mediocre until we got to Oslo where we enjoyed two really wonderful meals.

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Thank you PoincianaKings. Our tour was far from "personal". As bj27 notes, just a bunch of people on public transportation. Nevertheless it was an interesting day and I would recommend it. We bought our tickets online at http://www.fjordtours.com. Recommend you upgrade to Komfort seats on the Myrdal-Oslo leg for only $11 or so. In the comments section of the order form, just say you want Komfort seats and they will send you a link to pay that part separately. It was an easy process. You can buy them separately as bj27 notes, but to me that extra hassle may not be worth the savings.

Originally Posted by bj27
Yes, it's not "guided" in any way, though they do have Norway in a Nutshell signs here and there to guide you. It's all public transport and bookable separately, though the only thing that we we're anxious about is the bus from Gudvangen to Voss since you can't buy those online. We just paid in cash to board the bus. I can't remember how much but you can look up the fare on Kystbussen.no. I believe the bus route is 990.
The great thing is that if the first bus fills up they will send another bus to pick everyone else up, no one gets left behind.
I think booking through NiaN definitely saves a lot of hassle so if you don't feel like booking all the tickets (it took me 7-8 hours to piece it all together) then I would book through them. Feel free to PM if you have questions.
Great report so far SFO777. Brings back good memories
Thanks so much bj27 for your comments and suggestions.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hotel Continental
Oslo

A 10 minute taxi ride from Oslo Central is the Hotel Continental. Historic although dated and old world, it was quite nice with a great staff and even better location.

Nice terrace overlooking the National Theatre.

After we dropped out bags in the room, we headed out and around the corner to the hotel's cool Steamen Bar.

Breakfast then next morning was included in our Virtuoso rate at Caroline, the 2nd floor restaurant.

Quite possibly the smallest Business Centre I have ever seen in any hotel. Good use of closet space though.

Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mrs. SFO begged off the morning after getting up at 2AM to watch the Trump Show. So I headed out to explore Oslo on foot.
Hard at work right outside the hotel this morning.

Perhaps it means something different in Norway.

City Hall.

The Nobel Museum.

Royal Palace.

And back to the hotel, building on the right behind the National Theatre.

For lunch, our concierge gave us a great recommendation. Told him we wanted seafood and no tourists. I believe I said "no American tourists". LOL.
Gave us a great recommendation, Havsmak, only two blocks away near the palace and the US Embassy.

Indeed, there were no Americans. Actually no anyone. Other than a government function in the upstairs private dining room, we had the place to ourselves. Yikes.
Seemed a little strange but the meal and service were wonderful.

Mrs. SFO started with a beautiful fresh salad.

While I had the fish stew, which the concierge recommended as the best in Oslo. Shrimp, salmon, hake and mussels. Just the right amount of spice. It was sensational.

I had the delicious salmon main.

While Mrs. SFO had the main size fish stew.

And yummy cobbler for dessert.

After lunch, Mrs. SFO suggested the HOHO bus which had a stop right near the hotel. Pretty much had the thing to ourselves for an interesting tour of Oslo and the Museum island.

Oooh, The Magic Ice Bar. We may try that later.

Interesting office complex in the way to the Viking Museum.

Always a sport.

Back on the HOHO to continue the tour.

Oslo's stunning new Opera House.

We got back to the hotel around 6PM and shortly after headed out for dinner at probably the most uniquely good dining experience of the entire trip. Located in an upscale residential area, Hos Thea widely regarded as the best restaurant in Oslo. Chef/owner Sergio is a wonderful host and true showman as he works the small room like a master.

Mrs. SFO777 started with the wonderful Mozzarella ravioli with freshly steamed langoustines.

Small club sandwich with brioche, quail breast and foie gras. Out of this world especially with a glass of Sergio's recommended ice wine.

For her main, Mrs. SFO's chose the Iberico striploin on potatoes confit. Outstanding.

While I had the Norwegian farmed duck suprême with rose hip sauce. Quite possibly the best duck dish I have ever had.

For dessert, Sweet temptations varieté for Mrs. SFO.

While I had the incredible Rhubarb tart with orange/cinnamon ice cream.

Wow, what an amazing meal. And then the fun part. Sergio comes over and we chat. From Spain, he has been in Oslo for 28 years. His dad and brother live in Texas. "My dad has 6 guns, doesn't know how to shoot any of them. LOL"

No idea how we get onto this topic but he explains that Norway is 2nd only to California for Tesla ownership. Apparently, all vehicles in Norway are subject to 100% sales tax... except Tesla which is tax free because its electric and supposedly doesn't pollute the environment. LOL, but I digress. Also, Tesla owners don't have to pay highway tolls and get free parking. All of his friends have Teslas.

Said Sergio, from the resto website.

He then offered to drive us back to the hotel in his Tesla. He laughed when Mrs. SFO asked if he had to stay and close up. "I come and go when I want " Two minutes later he is outside in his white Tesla and we get it.

OK, this is a pretty sweet set of wheels. He grins and boasts that he can go 0-60 faster than a Lamborghini. And he then proceeds to show us, pinning us with G-force to our seats as he goes 0-not quite 60 in less than 3 seconds. Wow. "See I'm only in Standard mode. It goes even faster in Insane mode."

Obviously we arrive at the hotel in no time. He declines our invitation to come in for a drink and we bid our adieus. What a great experience.

We then remember that we were going to go to the Ice Bar. So we head out for the 5 minute walk. OK, this is pretty funny. For $20 or so, you get the basic visit and a drink.

I'm guessing that the novelty has worn off. But for us first-timers, it was cool.

For more pics and an HD version of the report please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 22, 2015 at 8:42 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:13 am

Fantastic.

Thanks for an enjoyable report.
It made me hungry. That fish stew looks wonderful.
I want to go now but mid June to August.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I see, you met the European gangs of beggars. They are a Problem all over the continent!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Why do the appetizer and main fish stew portions look the same size? Were they or does it only look like it? :P
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice update from Oslo, SFO777. Shame that the weather was a little grey on your visit. It looks like you had a couple of nice dining experiences. Your hotel breakfast buffet also looks very inviting.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Why do the appetizer and main fish stew portions look the same size? Were they or does it only look like it? :P
They are clearly different size bowls!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
I see, you met the European gangs of beggars. They are a Problem all over the continent!
Maybe we should bring Donald Trump over to sort out the mess?

Jokes aside, nice continuation of the report. ACNE Studios is a pretty well known Swedish fashion label, though they cater to younger clientele.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wonderful report SFO777! Looking forward to reading about AF First Class.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
Originally Posted by SFO777
No idea how we get onto this topic but he explains that Norway is 2nd only to California for Tesla ownership. Apparently, all vehicles in Norway are subject to 100% sales tax... except Tesla which is tax free because its electric and supposedly doesn't pollute the environment. LOL, but I digress. Also, Tesla owners don't have to pay highway tolls and get free parking. All of his friends have Teslas.
Electric cars have huge incentives in that you (as you stated), do not pay tolls (this also goes for ferries), free parking on public car parks, the yearly road tax is severely discounted, and free charging on all public charge station. And the purchase price is also hugely discounted. For example, a Nissan Leaf costs the same as a base VW Golf.

I can attest to the 'everyone buys electric cars' in Norway, as my sister has a Nissan Leaf, my brother has a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model S with a Model X on order to replace the Nissan. And my dad has a Model S on order.

My brother did a calculation and ended up saving around $15000 a year on his Nissan compared to the Volvo V50 it replaced.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Fantastic.
Thanks for an enjoyable report.
It made me hungry. That fish stew looks wonderful.
I want to go now but mid June to August.
Thank you Bretteee. I think July and August are probably the best weather times to visit. Then again, a lot of other people will be there.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Pretty much everywhere I think.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
That was just the camera and proximity to the bowl. Here portion size was much larger.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Nice update from Oslo, SFO777. Shame that the weather was a little grey on your visit. It looks like you had a couple of nice dining experiences. Your hotel breakfast buffet also looks very inviting.
Thanks very much Genius1 for taking time to read.

Originally Posted by LH4116
Maybe we should bring Donald Trump over to sort out the mess? Jokes aside, nice continuation of the report. ACNE Studios is a pretty well known Swedish fashion label, though they cater to younger clientele.
LOL. Thanks LH4116. Does acne mean something in Sweden or in Swedish?

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Wonderful report SFO777! Looking forward to reading about AF First Class.
Thank you themapelligroup. If you can't wait, I have a separate report on an amazing First Class product.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rst-class.html

Originally Posted by bludnik
Electric cars have huge incentives in that you (as you stated), do not pay tolls (this also goes for ferries), free parking on public car parks, the yearly road tax is severely discounted, and free charging on all public charge station. And the purchase price is also hugely discounted. For example, a Nissan Leaf costs the same as a base VW Golf.
I can attest to the 'everyone buys electric cars' in Norway, as my sister has a Nissan Leaf, my brother has a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model S with a Model X on order to replace the Nissan. And my dad has a Model S on order.
My brother did a calculation and ended up saving around $15000 a year on his Nissan compared to the Volvo V50 it replaced.
Thanks so much bludnik for the additional information. Pretty compelling incentive given those savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.