Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris (CDG) to Réunion (RUN), Air Austra, Réunion trip report, April 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What an excellent trip report. Thanks very much for sharing! I was on Reunion many years ago, and French was/is pretty much the only way to communicate, but the thick accent does make for some very interesting ("what did he just say?") conversations!
One of the locals told me that one slang term for someone from mainland France was "répéter" since they are always asking the locals to repeat what they just said.

My 10th grade French teacher would have been proud of how much I remembered, however. (That, and 3G works pretty much everywhere, so I could use Google Translate when needed)
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA
Yesterday I knew nothing of Reunion except they found a 777 part there. After an relaxing hour reading your very detailed report on the Island, I know so much about the culture, the food and the geography of Reunion. Thank you for taking so much time documenting and sharing your adventure.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reading.

There are a few random details and such that I didn't cover here. Those interested may find more interesting stuff in

- My Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk79NSPV
- My blog, http://offbeateats.org/trips/la-reunion/
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kaszeta
One of the locals told me that one slang term for someone from mainland France was "répéter" since they are always asking the locals to repeat what they just said.
That is so funny. I'd heard the same thing! I can't tell you how many times I would ask someone "Je m'excuse, mais je n'ai pas compris; pouvez vous répéter, s'il vous plait...."
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
That is so funny. I'd heard the same thing! I can't tell you how many times I would ask someone "Je m'excuse, mais je n'ai pas compris; pouvez vous répéter, s'il vous plait...."
Once the local told me that, I noticed how often it happened.

I, myself, often used a related approach: the "I don't completely understand French" baffled look. (I'd occasionally ask someone to repeat, but often that didn't help with the accent or the unusual terminology[1]). Sometimes with a shrug, and me look all apologetic with "Je m'execuse, je parle francais... en peu." making the "wee" sign with my fingers.

[1] Similarly, visiting Reunion, Paris, and Montreal all within the same month somewhat jumbled my French vocabulary.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Excellent trip report on Reunion!

For me and Mrs Kamchatsky, we would probably not venture to mountain ranges due to all the "exciting" roads, unless it is part of a tour. Looking at google map, I understand why you said never drive on N5 at night!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Excellent trip report on Reunion!

For me and Mrs Kamchatsky, we would probably not venture to mountain ranges due to all the "exciting" roads, unless it is part of a tour. Looking at google map, I understand why you said never drive on N5 at night!
What's really fun is to watch the bus drive down the N5.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:45 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Wonderful TR! Thank you!
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:38 pm

Reunion is someplace I've always wanted to go. For someone who travels solo, do you know if it's easy to rent a moped to get around?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:15 am
Original Poster

I saw a number of people doing rental mopeds, but almost all of the places I saw renting them were in the tourist coastal areas (St Louis, St Gilles). I expect it can be done pretty easily, although you may have to find a way to get from St Denis to the rental place (there's a rather extensive bus system, Car Jaune, that can get you from St Denis to pretty much any other major spot on the island).

Like a car, you want to be pretty skilled with shifting. Aside from the coastal road, almost all of the roads on the island are extremely twisty and steep.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
thanks for the great report kaszeta ^

for a while Air Austral flew NOU-SYD-RUN-CDG, but no longer
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
What a great TR. I miss seeing the Air Austral 777s fly over my house, they quit serving Sydney in 2012. They had a pretty cool Nouméa-Sydney-Réunion-Paris route.

Kind of sad, at different times we had Air Tahiti Nui, Air Austral, Air Madagascar... now we just have AirCalin and fewer frequencies than in the past.

Anyway, this is a great TR regarding a destination that's been on my bucket list for years. I've done some research on Réunion and thought of going for years, maybe someday!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: Croatia FlyOnline Buy 5 Get 1 Free
What a great report! Well-written, interesting destination, perfect balance of content. Really enjoyable read.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: QRPC Polonium
My favorite D.O.M.

I will join the choir and congratulate you on a well-done, and quite unique TR.
After travelling quite extensively to MRU and RUN, I have no doubt that RUN is the place to go, and MRU an afterthought.
As a French citizen versed in various créoles, I commend you on your mastery of non-academic French and your willingness to try exotic food outside of the typical american palate.

Last edited by Will Coe; Dec 17, 2015 at 12:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.