Reload this Page >

A French wedding with a mix of BA and AF - ABZ-LHR-ORY-BVE-BOD-CDG-LHR-ABZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A French wedding with a mix of BA and AF - ABZ-LHR-ORY-BVE-BOD-CDG-LHR-ABZ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:39 pm

Thanks for the whole TR and especially the final photo! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by halfcape
Thanks for the whole TR and especially the final photo! It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Thanks for reading halfcape. Yes - great trip! Last few parts coming up!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Bastille Day

I was in the land of nod when, all of a sudden, I was rudely woken with banding and whistles and (what sounded like) those horrible voovoozelas that were used at a World Cup. Sleepily opening the curtains, I saw some sort of parade going through the square.

After waking up a bit and taking full advantage of the Nespresso machine in the room, I popped down to the Club Lounge foe breakfast. A simple affair but perfect for what I fancied. Selection of cereals, breads, numerous pastries, fruit, hams, cheeses, fruit juices, yoghurts. The lounge was relatively busy when I went down but I managed to find a table.

After breakfast, I headed out to see a few of the sights of Paris. The sun was out and it was warming up nicely.

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/542/19811091051_656b52c25f_b.jpg[img]

As I was walking back down, there was some sort of fly past for Bastille Day.

I stopped off for a coffee beside a well known landmark....

And now the walk down to Opéra....

......which looked absolutely sensational!

And time for a spot of lunch while enjoying people watching! The Croque Madame was great.

Hi dog!

I then walked for miles! I walked round to the Louvre then all the way down to the Arc de Triomphe and then back down to the Louvre. My feet were killing me by the end!

It was back to the hotel to chill for a while, enjoy a few glasses of vin rouge in the Club Lounge and then head out to see the fireworks for Bastille Day later in the evening.

It was quite cool seeing the fireworks coming off of the Eiffel Tower and everyone seemed to really enjoy the show - lots of applause and screaming! I caught the métro back to the hotel after the end of the fireworks.

Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Beautiful report Stu yet again! Bingbongboy will be delighted with the kilt shot too!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Beautiful report Stu yet again! Bingbongboy will be delighted with the kilt shot too!
Ha! Cheers for reading JamieABZ!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

All good holidays come to an end

Last day in France..... I had breakfast around half 8 and remembered to take some pics of the spread!

I was toying with the idea of going up the Eiffel Tower but couldn't really be ar*ed with the masses of tourists clambering over each other. I decided instead to go up the Montparnasse Tower. I booked a ticket online the night before and got the métro across in the morning. Booking a ticket in advance was the best idea ever - there were two large school groups waiting to be admitted and a few others waiting to buy tickets. I sailed to the front of the queue, showed my ticket on my phone and waited about 5 minutes for the lift to whisk me up the 200m to the top.

I dodged the photographer at the top wanting to take your picture infront of some view of Paris and then try to sell it to you at a ridiculously high price and checked out the views which were great. There was also an outside viewing platform which was two flights of stairs up. Again, the views were nice and it was good being out in the fresh air.

With still a few hours to kill, I wanted to go down by the Eiffel Tower to check it out. From 200m up, it didn't seem like that far a walk but the reality was slightly different at ground level - haha! But I eventually got there and enjoyed sitting around for a short while enjoying the rays and watching what folk were up to around me.

I headed back to the hotel on the métro (after eventually finding a stop close to the Eiffel Tower which was on the line which stopped at République). I managed to get a 2pm check out which was helpful. Quick change and threw everything into the suitcase and I was checked out promptly. I sat in the bar and had a last pint whilst looking at how to get to the airport. I decided that I couldn't be bothered dragging my suitcase (which was heavy) through the métro so I downloaded Uber, signed up and had a car at the door all within ten minutes. Uber is my new favourite thing (although when I will use it, I'm not quite sure given that it's not in Aberdeen!).

I was at CDG with loads of time to spare. I found the BA check in desks down in the dungeon and ditched the suitcase. Security was pretty quiet so I was through in next to no time. Picked up some goodies for the office and found the Cathay Pacific lounge. First priority - food and fizz (noodles!!!!)

The rest of the food selection was great and very tasty.

I found a free pod by the window and enjoyed the views. Our flight was delayed by around 50 minutes but the lounge angel made an announcement to that effect and told us not to go to the gate and that she would let us know when to go. I thought that was nice of her!

Time for a quick dessert before boarding - this pistachio pannacotta was brilliant!

We boarded and took a tour of CDG before eventually taking off.

There were two pursers serving CE. The guy was decent but the lady was rubbish. Everything seemed to be a hassle. The guy next to me (older guy) was obviously the preferred calibre of passenger for her - he got the full "Sir" treatment. I got "Drink?" from her and when I asked for a fizz and a glass of water the eyes rolled. The guy gave the salads out - they were ok.....some weird stuff in there which I wasn't 100% sure what it was.

Before I knew it, we were coming into London. The connection into T5 was relatively painless. Although there was a queue at security, the staff were very well humoured and one lady in particular was a hoot. Some girl put everything she had into one tray and it was stacked so high there was no way it would fit through the machine. Cue funny lady: "Who did this?......Who does this belong to? Love, I've only got a small hole and there's no way that's gonna fit through it"........cue s......ing from her male colleagues and numerous of us in the queue.

I had an hour and a bit in the Flounge. Had some food from the buffet which was pretty tasty. Unfortunately sat next to some guy in his 70s who was on the "mobile telephone" complaining to someone because one of his investments "only made £400,000 last year" which was supposedly unacceptable. Yawn.

The flight to Aberdeen was the usual - quick and painless. Some great crew on the flight tonight. The two at the front were brilliant - cheery, friendly, professional and genuinely engaged with passengers - just how all crew should be.

Some nice views of the sunset as we flew up the country...

Sign of a good crew - doubles as standard

Crisps from lounge......this may cause an argument over on the BA board!

I nearly died at baggage reclaim - my case was first off......that has NEVER happened before!

So that was the end of a great holiday and it was back to reality with work the next morning. Never mind, only a few weeks until my next trip!

Thanks for reading!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
Great trip report. Never knew about the Montparnasse Tower so will try that one.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Always enjoy your trip reports - thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you had two good BA crews and two mediocre ones.

I flew AF to Paris from BHX last Sat and they're really not as bad as everyone makes out! CP Republique looks good. The IC was expensive and didn't recognise my status for some reason so won't be rushing back.

Oh - and if you ever go to Birmingham, there is a wine place called Loki which has exactly that type of wine machine, right down to the card with the chip. I had never seen it before so good to know where else they have them!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by stu1985
Holy heavens above… *swoon* X 1,000,000,000
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Brilliant trip report - thanks for posting ^
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Holy heavens above… *swoon* X 1,000,000,000
lol

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Brilliant trip report - thanks for posting ^
Thanks forreading Lucanesque

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Always enjoy your trip reports - thanks for sharing!

Sounds like you had two good BA crews and two mediocre ones.

I flew AF to Paris from BHX last Sat and they're really not as bad as everyone makes out! CP Republique looks good. The IC was expensive and didn't recognise my status for some reason so won't be rushing back.

Oh - and if you ever go to Birmingham, there is a wine place called Loki which has exactly that type of wine machine, right down to the card with the chip. I had never seen it before so good to know where else they have them!
Thanks IAMORGAN. Yes, two really good crews and two not so great. BA again showing the inconsistency it is famous for!

AF were fine. I didn't mind them at all.

CP was great - I would definitely go back. Not good that the IC didn't recognise your status....that's one way to lose loyal guests!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:23 am

Great final part, thanks for posting. Oh and thanks again for the kilt photo
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
That was an incredibly fun ride of a TR. You seemed to have coped better with the hot weather in France than we did!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by martin102
Great trip report. Never knew about the Montparnasse Tower so will try that one.
Of course, you know what they say about the view from la tour Montparnasse being the best in Paris because you don't have to look at the thing?
Apropos of nothing, Stu, have you seen what they're doing with the old Capitol site in Aberdeen?

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

I've seen this in a couple of upmarket hotel club lounges: felt fairly self-conscious opting for the 'medium' sized glass until I saw it contained approx. 75mls!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Great final part, thanks for posting. Oh and thanks again for the kilt photo
Haha thanks ellielovesem!

Originally Posted by Spymon
That was an incredibly fun ride of a TR. You seemed to have coped better with the hot weather in France than we did!
Thanks for following Spymon. I do like the heat......just not when I am in the full kilt!

Originally Posted by ABZGirl
Of course, you know what they say about the view from la tour Montparnasse being the best in Paris because you don't have to look at the thing?
Apropos of nothing, Stu, have you seen what they're doing with the old Capitol site in Aberdeen?
LOL! Yes. it's not the most attractive of buildings, is it?! And I was slightly worried that some of the windows were boarded up with wooden boards!

Re Capitol - yes, have seen what they are doing. Not 100% sure how I feel about it. Wouldn't say no to going up and having a look at the views though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.