Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Last trip report of High School (27) United First Class to a Night in Portland, Maine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last trip report of High School (27) United First Class to a Night in Portland, Maine

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Okay, so I'm staying in NYC for a night and would like to stay near Battery Park or Times Square. On a previous trip, I stayed in the Marriott Courtyard Times Square West, which was very nice. My preferred comfort brands are Marriott Courtyard (Fairfield, etc.), Hampton Inn, and Embassy Suites. Any recommendations?

I'm also looking for hotels in downtown Minneapolis for my Christmas trip (December 19-20) on Sun Country first class MIA-MSP-MIA. Any info on how to get from MSP to downtown would be nice.

Thank you,

-LPDAL
The Ritz-Carlton Battery Park is a decent property if you can get it at a decent price. The Marriott Marquis is my go-to in Times Square. More of a novelty hotel than anything else in my book, but there's some rooms with decent views overlooking the square.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Okay, so I'm staying in NYC for a night and would like to stay near Battery Park or Times Square. On a previous trip, I stayed in the Marriott Courtyard Times Square West, which was very nice. My preferred comfort brands are Marriott Courtyard (Fairfield, etc.), Hampton Inn, and Embassy Suites. Any recommendations?

Thank you,

-LPDAL
Unfortunately, it was very expensive at Times Square hotels. I just don't think you can stay there. Sorry!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by N830MH
Unfortunately, it was very expensive at Times Square hotels. I just don't think you can stay there. Sorry!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by heraclitus
^

Considering I've already stayed there once before, anyway:

---
Newark Liberty International Airport (IATA: EWR, ICAO: KEWR)
Newark, New Jersey
New York City, New York
Times Square Marriott Courtyard
---

Walking back into EWR (from the week before) I couldn't stand my excitement to make my own independent trip into NYC. Luckily the airport had good signage and I quickly made my way to the NJ Cab Stand, queuing a bit before sitting in a toasty cab of my own. The driver is friendly enough but doesn't seem to know where he is going (and keeps mentioning being "tipped" over and over again-yes, I will tip you, no need to mention it a ton)--he manages to get me to Manhattan but drives right past my hotel and was on his way to the Marquis before I stopped him and told him that my actual hotel was a couple of blocks back. Not wanting to waste any time, I told him to turn around and I was quickly dropped off at the Marriott New York City Courtyard hotel.

Checking in, the agent seemed a bit slow (as compared to the fast livelihood that "the city that never sleeps" is known for), and hands me a room key sleeve marked 201. I found it a bit strange considering I booked a high level room and large accommodations, but headed up to the third floor anyhow. What I found was the exact opposite of what I booked, a tiny room with an even tinier window and single bed...Shocked, I went down to the reception desk and in the most calm way possible explained that there had to be some sort of mistake, that this isn't what I booked. Stammering, the agent spoke to a manager who then apologized as his clerk had assigned me to the wrong room-my correct room was 3201, and he quickly printed me a $30 voucher for the Breakfast buffet which I most graciously thanked him for. Next, I headed no less than thirty two floors up above the ground and entered the correct room I had booked...And had a nice 30 minute nap.

Heading into my hotel.

Now we're talking! I wonder what awaits me inside...

Ooooh...doorbell too!

Oh my.....I love this so much...

Check out the view from the bedroom!!!
-LPDAL
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by N830MH
Cool answer, especially as LPDAL always do "budget travel".

P.S. I like this pictures from high floors^
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Cool answer, especially as LPDAL always do "budget travel".

P.S. I like this pictures from high floors^
Thanks for that.

Believe me, the prices I paid for that suite were not budget. Think $500 for the day. [NYC hotel prices, and that suite was booked two weeks out, hence that rate.] Kind of silly considering I only stayed four hours, but that is long past me.

Nor is my travel very "budget". The lowest non-mileage tickets I've bought in the last few weeks were $600 round trip.

-LPDAL
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nor is my travel very "budget".
I think we all have come to understand that. There aren't many Trip Report folks that travel on full fare F domestically.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

I got a hotel for my New York trip! To match the style of Virgin America, I chose the Aloft Brooklyn! I checked The Marriott Times Square Courtyard West and it was, just as it was on the exact same dates last year, $500 a night. The Aloft was $185 and has rave reviews.

LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing
Booked!

As if having my 20th birthday in NYC isn't exciting enough, my parents informed my brother and I that they will be taking us on a 7-day-graduation-celebration-slash-Christmas-Cruise in late December!!!!^^^^

WHOOPEEEEE!!!

-LPDAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.