Search

My trip to Transnistria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
My trip to Transnistria

No airline stuff (no airport in Transnistria), but if you're interested in Soviet stuff and a quasi-country that doesn't get much exposure...

https://www.slantnews.com/story/2015...t-doesnt-exist
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Billiant, thank you. I'm headed to Moldova later this year and as thinking of a trip to Tiraspol. From what you've written, I might not overnight after all!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:38 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Good timing, I will be in Transdniester next Friday
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:11 am

Great report, I love exploring ex-Soviet enclaves and I've always wanted to visit Transnistria. I have a feeling that I should go sooner rather than later considering the geopolitical climate in Eastern Europe.

What were the prices like for food and drink?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by llamaesque
Great report, I love exploring ex-Soviet enclaves and I've always wanted to visit Transnistria. I have a feeling that I should go sooner rather than later considering the geopolitical climate in Eastern Europe.

What were the prices like for food and drink?
Prices were very reasonable for everything other than the hotel. The only two options approaching western decent standard are the city club hotel where I stayed (80-90 euro/night), or the Hotel Rossiya, which is even more expensive. The rooms are 2-3 star quality. However, if you're there on a weekend, the only popular disco is in the basement of Hotel Rossiya, I stopped in on a Monday to find the bartender asleep in a booth and the bar devoid of any other patrons. When I asked him if any people would come later he told me "This Prednistrovie, everyone asleep." I had a beer and found my way home.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sounds interesting in a very bleak sort of way. Thanks for the report!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:13 am

Thanks for the interesting report.

Transnistria is a quasi-state that is not recognised by other countries, so its citizens cannot travel abroad as Transnistrians. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as Transnistrian from an ethnic perspective -- the overwhelming majority of people residing there are either ethnic Moldovans, Ukrainians or Russians. Being able to travel abroad is essential for most citizens of this unrecognised country, so they must possess passports issued by real countries. Thus, besides an internal Transnistrian identity document (aka internal passport), all Transnistrians have either Moldavian, Ukrainian or Russian passports. Depending on the circumstances, members of the same family may end up with passports from 3 different countries. For example, I have a distant relative who lives in Bender -- she has Ukrainian passport, her husband has Moldavian passport, one of her daughter has Ukrainian passport and the other has Russian passport :-) It seems very bizarre to me, but they say that they've become accustomed to it in 23 years since they broke away from Moldova.

GetSetJetSet, did you need a visa or any permit to travel to Transnistria? I know that Westerners can fly to Moldova visa-free, but I have no idea how it works in case of this break-away region.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
What a great reading! Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by König
Thanks for the interesting report.

Transnistria is a quasi-state that is not recognised by other countries, so its citizens cannot travel abroad as Transnistrians. As a matter of fact, there is no such thing as Transnistrian from an ethnic perspective -- the overwhelming majority of people residing there are either ethnic Moldovans, Ukrainians or Russians. Being able to travel abroad is essential for most citizens of this unrecognised country, so they must possess passports issued by real countries. Thus, besides an internal Transnistrian identity document (aka internal passport), all Transnistrians have either Moldavian, Ukrainian or Russian passports. Depending on the circumstances, members of the same family may end up with passports from 3 different countries. For example, I have a distant relative who lives in Bender -- she has Ukrainian passport, her husband has Moldavian passport, one of her daughter has Ukrainian passport and the other has Russian passport :-) It seems very bizarre to me, but they say that they've become accustomed to it in 23 years since they broke away from Moldova.

GetSetJetSet, did you need a visa or any permit to travel to Transnistria? I know that Westerners can fly to Moldova visa-free, but I have no idea how it works in case of this break-away region.
Nope, no papers needed. Didn't even stamp my passport. They give you a piece of paper that they stamp, and you need to have this with you when you exit the "country." If you're staying overnight, you have to register with the authorities, but your hotel can take care of this for you.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Really cool, and a great read. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I am closing this thread as it does not comply with FT rules on linking to external site.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.