Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First report: A weekend in Siem Reap

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Yes it's looking beautiful, and at this time of year blissfully quiet.

Formally it's the hot season moving to the rainy season, and the rains clear out the tour groups so we were unencumbered by large groups from certain large Asian countries.

On one of the tours we had the bus to ourself - perfect!

If it's been a few years since you were there I think there have probably even been some improvements. The Japanese and the Germans are working hard to correct years of water ingress due to jungle incursion stablising many structures. The jungle clearing has also helped you to see a little better on occasions.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Don't kid yourself. All year is the hot season. We went in early Feb and about died of the heat. I had 2 to 3 showers a day as the only way I could cool down was with cool water over my head. My insane and antsy husband went out in the afternoon when everyone else was resting and taking cover, inc the guides.

We were there in 1991 when it first opened after the Vietnamese left. What I would like to know is whether the potentially wonderful museum in Phnom Penh has been renovated. It was like visiting a ruin when we were there. Much of it was open air, sometimes not by design so it was a hot slog to go through it.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Great report, your description of the sunrise inspired me , it sounded straight from your heart and I need to experience this !!

Thank you
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Oh to both of you I'm so sorry. I didn't realise people still read my thread...

@Karen2

Sadly the museum in Phnom Penh is a bit of a disgrace. It's an open air ruin with a security guard. There is a little information here and there but nothing particularly that you can't glean from looking in from a tall building across the way.
The Genocide Museum outisde the city (at the killing fields) is much better, with an audio guide available in most major languages. Worth the ride out there.

Thanks for reading everybody, and Britinjapan I'm glad you enjoyed it, your kind words mean a lot!

MM
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Your pictures are down, perhaps you can fix them
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Your pictures are down, perhaps you can fix them
Oh dang so they are. That needs fixing, I see my old Flickr site got deleted. I will upload them to Google+ and share them that way. Sorry about that.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Oh dang so they are. That needs fixing, I see my old Flickr site got deleted. I will upload them to Google+ and share them that way. Sorry about that.
No problem I think I remember them and they were really nice
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have to see the "locals" pub street next time I go. Sounds like you had fun.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by too2early
I have to see the "locals" pub street next time I go. Sounds like you had fun.
It's well worth it. Total spend that night was in the single digit dollars, and on Khmer pub street you would probably end up dropping $40 for the same amount of booze and food. Cracking night.

Thanks for reading too2early
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

I'm hoping you can now all see some pictures. Let me know if you can't and I'll try again. They are a bit small, but it's the best I can do for now.

I'm having laptop troubles and have misplaced the sun rise photos, but I'll post them asap!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
We did Angkor last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Temples were out of this world and then Pub St was great fun. $1 beers during happy hours and there are plenty around. You definately need to book a guide to get the most out of the area. Fantastic place to go to experience what Asia was like decades ago.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
We did Angkor last year and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Temples were out of this world and then Pub St was great fun. $1 beers during happy hours and there are plenty around. You definately need to book a guide to get the most out of the area. Fantastic place to go to experience what Asia was like decades ago.
It really is a mystical experience to see the Temples and the surrounding forests.

I used a guide both days and you are right, they offer a lot, and if you get the right one will find you temples without hoardes of tourists blocking every view.
It's worth the hour's drive out to the more remote temples as well, the experience is totally different, and you can get yourself totally immersed in the jungle and the ruins. And it helps if they have an air conditioned minibus and an ice chest full of drinks after trekking through the 40 degree heat...

$1 is a huge bonus as well!

Thanks for reading expatsomchai, and thanks for commenting.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Great report and great photos. Thanks for posting.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Great report and great photos. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for reading Annalisa12! And for the feedback. Now that I've conquered uploading photos I'll try and upload some more from Jordan and the West Bank from my other report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.