Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Asia/aus travel--Luggage, Visa, Ecig, taxis, advice in general Etc..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Hello all.

I will be departing to Asia/Aus this July. my itin is--
CLE-ORD (United Airlines)
ORD-PEK (Hainan Airlines)
PEK-PVG (Shanghai Airlines
PVG-CAN (China Eastern Airlines)
CAN-HKG (Train)
HKG-SIN (Singapore Airlines)
SIN-BOM (Jet Airways)
BOM-BKK (Thai Airways)
BKK-BNE (Thai Airways)
BNE-AKL (Air New Zealand)
AKL-LAX (Air New Zealand)
LAX-CLE (United Airlines)

The main purpose of my travels is tourism, but I will also be booking gigs to perform as a musician along the way. I have concerns with the visas required for this. I will not be accepting any payment, I am only interested in getting a response to my music abroad. If anyone has any info on the visas required (particularly China) it would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there going to be any conflict about traveling in between any of these countries? I have never traveled through China, or made continental leaps before (I.E. India to Australia) so I know nothing of this sort!

Secondly, I have issues with luggage. I will be bringing a carry on suitcase, a pedalboard, and my guitar, and a small amp in an ATA case. I get two free checks on most of the long hauls, so naturally, I will be checking the amp and pedalboard. However, I am concerned that I will be forced to check my suitcase, since I will be using the guitar as my primary carry on (electric guitar, very lightweight and compact, but can't afford to put in the undercarriage.) My dad flies weekly, (sometimes daily) and thinks that it won't be a problem for me to store both items in the overhead, especially if I select a seat in the back. But I would like to have access to my luggage on the long hauls, so I am able to take care of myself, change clothes, ETC. Any guidance on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Thirdly, I am an avid Vapor (E-cig user) and I will be unable to use this device in Singapore, as they have strict rules against this, unfortunately. Hong Kong has laws that don't permit usage either, so my plan is to use my vaporizer throughout China and dispose of either before Hong Kong, or up through my stay in Hong Kong, before I leave for Singapore. Since I will be traveling to Hong Kong by train, will I pass through any kind of strip search/passport control when we pull into Hong Kong? I have read that foreigners are given leniency with the usage of such devices but I don't want to run into any illegalities! I plan to post a separate vaporizer to my mates in Aus before I leave the states so I can use it freely once I enter Australia.

Fourthly, I have read that there are some issues with getting ripped off where taxis are concerned in China and India. Any advice on this subject? Any other advice for travel through China or (specifically) India? Keep in mind, I am a 21 year old white male, from Ohio. I am just a tad nervous for such an excursion, but have traveled throughout all of Western Europe and Australia on my own, so I am not without experience at all, just in these areas!

If you have taken the time to read and have some advice for information to offer me, I would GREATLY appreciate it! thanks all!

P.S. if you are aware of any bars/coffee shops/places I can perform a modest set with my guitar in Mumbai, Shanghai, Beijing, Singapore, or Hong Kong, It would also me immensely appreciated!

Sean
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
You seem to have raised quite a few questions in this thread that fall across the remit of multiple forums here on FT. I suggest you do some research in the destinations and airline forums and perhaps ask specific questions there.

As this thread doesn't sit in any one forum I will close it here.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.