Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30th B'day trip to Park Hyatt Dubai (Terrace suite) QF F vs QR F showdown

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SQ Gold, MAR Plat, Hilton Gold
Jermyn,

Awesome TR as always! (Reminds me, I need to get cracking on mine )

If you are looking for a camera with good low light performance, may I suggest either the Canon EOS 6D or the Sony a7s. The EOS6D is a full-frame DSR, not a cropped sensor, which means you get the width of 35mm film. It is what I use on a daily basis, as it is capable of up to ISO256000, enabling extreme sensitivity in low light. The Sony a7s is more expensive, but much more compact, without compromising much on the features. It has an even higher ISO of up to 409600, making it even more sensitive to low light, and is capable of 4k video.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:48 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the response that this TR has gotten. I'm so happy that you've all enjoyed it and rest assured, there is plenty more to come.

I'm writing this from the fireplace lobby of the Hilton Niseko in Japan...

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I just read this entire report through start to finish. Two words: absolutely outstanding!

And three more: happy (belated) birthday!
Originally Posted by RTW4
Fantastic report.. Thank you .....
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Wonderful TR, my good sir! Especially like your narrative!! Keep 'em coming!!
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Fabulous report! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks makin'miles, RTW4, AvidFlyer1990 and themapelligroup !

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
When it comes to TRs focusing on flight and hotel experiences, this one's a real gem! An abundance of intelligent and beautiful photographs, all presented with an enjoyable dialogue - you could make a flight on US Airways and a stay at the Holiday Inn look good! Other trip reporters would do well to take note. Bravo, Jermyn! ^
Thanks Seat 2A, all of the positive comments mean a lot but I'm particularly pleased that you've enjoyed my report given that I've enjoyed reading so many of yours over the years.

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Jermyn, your thoughts on Dubai and the PH were spot on. We truly enjoyed our time there and it was one of the nicest properties we have had the pleasure of visiting. We too were upgraded to a Terrace Suite and it was quite an amazing room.

As an aside, judging by your Instagram posts, it looks like we may have been at the 9/11 memorial and Katz's in NYC on the same day as you. It sure was nice to arrive in NYC to be greeted by cold and snowy weather while we had only packed for milder weather in DXB...
bmrisko when you get into this miles and points game you realise how small the world is!

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Jermyn, I love your reports and how happy you always seem about travelling.

However, I have to ask - are you wearing the worlds longest socks there?
Thanks darthlemsip I've also enjoyed reading you trip reports.

I checked and I think the Chinese government was working on a larger pair of socks but abandoned the project halfway.

Seriously though, a real gentleman always wears over-the-calf socks

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Great trip report, thanks for taking the time to put it together. Your photos are very nice and complement the story very well.

Last time I was in Dubai (last spring) I decided to take the plunge and go to the (near) top of the Burj Khalifa. Like you, I found it useful and convenient that the most efficient way to see it was by way of a bar (At.mosphere). I was a bit 'meh' about the whole experience, I have to say. Far too many tourists there (obviously) but every group of people getting up for selfies and crowd photos does not make for a very sophisticated lounge atmosphere! I left after two drinks. The other problem with a building so ridiculously high is there are no frames of reference nearby. When you go up to the top of Rockefeller Center you know you're up high, even though it's 'only' 70 floors.

The other comment I have is about the Al Mourjan lounge. I was in DOH on business a couple of weeks ago (my first trip to the new airport) and I was expecting a complete faff with lounges. I was incredibly impressed with this lounge, and rather regretted that I hadn't come a little earlier (I typically don't hang out in lounges just for the sake of it). Granted it's brand new, but it's clean, fresh, well laid out, has great service, good food and drink, and excellent business facility and is remarkably bling-free. As a twice-weekly guest of the BA First lounge in LHR, I think there are some lessons to be learned from a site visit here.

Oh, and I'm with you on the socks. I have the full rainbow in proper knee-length.
Thanks LondonElite always good to receive praise from a man who understands the finer points of correct hosiery

Your experience of At.mosphere sounds so different to ours. Maybe we lucked out. Our little corner was quite private and the food, drink and service were top notch. Although I agree that the frame of reference is somewhat distorted when you're amongst smaller buildings and a lot of open space.

The DOH is so far beyond anything BA has but at least BA is nowhere near as bad as AA. We were in the "Flagship" first class lounge at JFK the other day and it was utterly abysmal.

Originally Posted by echen1024
Jermyn,

Awesome TR as always! (Reminds me, I need to get cracking on mine )

If you are looking for a camera with good low light performance, may I suggest either the Canon EOS 6D or the Sony a7s. The EOS6D is a full-frame DSR, not a cropped sensor, which means you get the width of 35mm film. It is what I use on a daily basis, as it is capable of up to ISO256000, enabling extreme sensitivity in low light. The Sony a7s is more expensive, but much more compact, without compromising much on the features. It has an even higher ISO of up to 409600, making it even more sensitive to low light, and is capable of 4k video.
Thanks echen1024, I was inspired by reading all the trip reports that came before mine. The TR forum is great not only as a source of information but as a source of inspiration!

Thanks for the camera recommendations as well. The a7s sounds great, I'll have a look and see if I can spot any deals. I'm currently really enjoying shooting with my GoPro, the fish-eye lens captures the space in airplane cabins really accurately and it functions surprisingly well in low light too.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Thanks LondonElite always good to receive praise from a man who understands the finer points of correct hosiery
I used to get mine at Tabio on the King's Road, but now much prefer the Falke Airport series.

See here:

http://www.falke.com/gb/men/falke-airport-1.html

The DOH is so far beyond anything BA has but at least BA is nowhere near as bad as AA. We were in the "Flagship" first class lounge at JFK the other day and it was utterly abysmal.
The DOH lounge really is fantastic. A really useful and well-equipped business centre and a little screen at nearly every desk to show departure information. What a novel concept. The only thing missing are good views of the field (and a self-serve bar would be nice but this is the ME so I can forgive that.)

I actually think the JFK Flagship lounge is pretty decent (though it can be a long trek to the gates). It's the one in ORD that is hopelessly depressing.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thank you Jermyn and LondonElite, you've convinced me - there's a Simon Carter about 10 mins from my house, I'll pop in there and make sure I have a suitable length sock before my next flights.

Quick question about the DOH lounge as I have an 8 hour layover coming up there, arriving just before midnight - is there somewhere I can have a bit of a snooze? Don't see the point in booking the transit hotel.

And completely agree, the ORD flagship lounge... *shudders*
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for a great report Jermyn. After having done both these sectors in F recently on QF and QR I agree with your conclusions.

It is a shame you didn't get to try the QR A380. The First cabin on that aircraft makes the A330 First experience seem decidedly second class.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Quick question about the DOH lounge as I have an 8 hour layover coming up there, arriving just before midnight - is there somewhere I can have a bit of a snooze? Don't see the point in booking the transit hotel.
The Al Mourjan lounge is open 24 hours. Whilst the OW site indicates it's only for premium cabin travellers, it's also available to OWE's (for the moment while the other lounges are being finished.) There are some relaxation chairs and fantastic shower rooms. I don't recall whether there is a snooze chair area but I wouldn't be surprised. It's miles ahead of BA's GF if you need to spend a few hours there.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The Al Mourjan lounge is open 24 hours. Whilst the OW site indicates it's only for premium cabin travellers, it's also available to OWE's (for the moment while the other lounges are being finished.) There are some relaxation chairs and fantastic shower rooms. I don't recall whether there is a snooze chair area but I wouldn't be surprised. It's miles ahead of BA's GF if you need to spend a few hours there.
Thank you - will be flying on QR in J anyway, so would have access to that regardless
Old May 22, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Far too many tourists there (obviously) but every group of people getting up for selfies and crowd photos does not make for a very sophisticated lounge atmosphere!
The ability to take selfies, photobomb and generally photograph anything and everything has to be the most irritating of technological developments and social fads.

I've enjoyed reading the trip report, so it's a tad hypocritical and horribly grumpy to say it - but I'd have hated sharing the cabin with this couple. Let's hope J gets his low-light camera.

And a belated happy birthday to him!
Old May 22, 2015, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I've enjoyed reading the trip report, so it's a tad hypocritical and horribly grumpy to say it - but I'd have hated sharing the cabin with this couple. Let's hope J gets his low-light camera.
I'm not seeing any flash photography, so what is the problem?
Old May 22, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
enjoyed the trip report. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
excellent report. Now following you on instagram, which I hope encourages me to quit hoarding and start burning
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold QFF WP AA EXP Marriott PPE HH Diam
Fantastic report. I am now regretting not including Dubai in our Europe trip but we are doing QF F on A380 Syd-LHR r/t and you TR has made me super excited about the choice.

What a gorgeous couple you two are. My wife (she is Filipino) commented that you look like we did when we were 25. I wish we had still looked like that at 30 (by 30 we had 4 kids)
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Jermyn, I've commented on how awesome your trip reports were before, this is no exception.

I wanted to get your opinion on the differences between your JL F and QF F flights you've taken... I did QF F at the beginning of the year and now doing JL F for the first time in a few weeks. How does the service, food and hard product compare?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Looks like I missed a few responses to this TR, so thanks to mitellic for the resurrection

Originally Posted by Moomba
Thanks for a great report Jermyn. After having done both these sectors in F recently on QF and QR I agree with your conclusions.

It is a shame you didn't get to try the QR A380. The First cabin on that aircraft makes the A330 First experience seem decidedly second class.
I've since had the fortune to try the QR A380 F, Moomba and absolutely agree! In fact I'd say that even the 787 J is preferable to the 330 F.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The ability to take selfies, photobomb and generally photograph anything and everything has to be the most irritating of technological developments and social fads.

And a belated happy birthday to him!
Haha, just a tad
If you want a decent TR you've got to take pics!

Having said that, I always aim to do so in a decorous manner - always being courteous to those with whom I share the cabin.

Thanks for the birthday wishes IAN-UK, I'm up for something of a repeat trip this September!

p.s. I did get a low light camera - the Panasonic LX100, I'm very pleased with the results

Originally Posted by stargold
I'm not seeing any flash photography, so what is the problem?
Flash photography is definitely not for me, stargold . Especially in an airplane cabin. You'd have to be pretty oblivious to others to start using your flash on a plane! Thanks for having my back

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
enjoyed the trip report. Thanks.
Thanks for reading Annalisa12!

Originally Posted by Moindardt
Fantastic report. I am now regretting not including Dubai in our Europe trip but we are doing QF F on A380 Syd-LHR r/t and you TR has made me super excited about the choice.

What a gorgeous couple you two are. My wife (she is Filipino) commented that you look like we did when we were 25. I wish we had still looked like that at 30 (by 30 we had 4 kids)
OK Moindardt, you made me blush. 4 kids by 30? Wow, you certainly deserve QF F, hope you had a great trip

Originally Posted by thegingninj
excellent report. Now following you on instagram, which I hope encourages me to quit hoarding and start burning
Thanks thegingninj, it's amazing how instagram has grown as an outlet for my FT related activities. It is certainly a lot quicker to post pics on there than it is to put together these huge TRs. Happy burning

Originally Posted by mitellic
Jermyn, I've commented on how awesome your trip reports were before, this is no exception.

I wanted to get your opinion on the differences between your JL F and QF F flights you've taken... I did QF F at the beginning of the year and now doing JL F for the first time in a few weeks. How does the service, food and hard product compare?
Thanks for the kind words mitellic.
I've only flown QF F once and it was on this short sector, whereas I've flown JL F on 3 long hauls.

In my experience the JL F service was mixed. Excellent once (when the cabin was quite empty), good once and mediocre once. The language barrier is definitely an issue as I feel some of the JL FAs are embarrassed about their English (which they needn't be).

QF F was outstanding, Aussie service tends to be great. The crew was a mix of Aussies and Bits and just came across as very polished and friendly. Like a super-charged version of the service on VS.

I prefer the QF hard product overall, it's hard to beat an A380. JL does sometimes keep the cabin quite hot too, which can be an issue. Both have fantastic bedding though.

F&B JL wins. Royal Blue Tea, Salon Champagne and a fantastic selection of Japanese wines, sake and shochu. The Japanese food is really good and even the steaks and caviar are some of the best. However QF does serve great coffee and I'm very partial to the Winston Churchill, the food was also in the top tier of F airlines.

Have a great flight!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.