Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Diary: Grinding of Business Travel- *A RTW on SQ/LH/SN/UA via SIN/LON/MAD/FLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Diary: Grinding of Business Travel- *A RTW on SQ/LH/SN/UA via SIN/LON/MAD/FLL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Jan 30-31 Andaz Liverpool Street Hotel 2 of 3

Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:50 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Appreciate your comment jacobac00!

I hear you Ber2dca! Points well made. There was a Flytalker suffered heart attack a few years after flying too much for work. I am also trying to be careful with my body after flown more than five consecutive years of 300K+ BIS flying. I will schedule more times in between flights on the ground and arrive at my destination enough time to relax and exercise. It is not just the physical part but the personal life also impacted for being on the road so much.

B+W photos and color photos are used to express my moods at the time. There is no intention to trying to turn this into a art gallery type of report. I do appreciate your comment on the photos and SQ seats. More color photos on SQ will come up shortly. Thank you agp423!

Thanks SAUCflyer! I hope you try to visit more often and spend more time in Singapore to appreciate its efficiency and charms. Hope we get to do trip together again and co-author another trip report like we did in 2014.
wow. thats kinda shocking to me.....

I remember when my father used to work for TI in the late 90s.... flew across the world 1-2 times a month.... I think he was glad to leave that job..

Now that he is in a new position and talking about Asian trips, I worry how long he is going to keep it up for. Plus now that my sibling and I are getting older... kinda just want more time with him (even though I hole myself up to do school work and focus on things... ). It sucks growing up... and i say this as i hear his suitcase rolling across the floor, another WN flight to the Bay Area this week

My condolences about the loss of that person that left a major impact in your life. I have people like that that I would feel the same about.

How great was it to visit London, where I had fond memories as a teenager attending boarding school in the UL.
What were happening to my kids back in the US? I felt I don't know them anymore. I felt distant.
The ones I care for who are dependent on me, too much time away creates uncertainties.
How were my aging parents coping in Florida with deteriorating health?
How are things back in the office in the mix of operating and regulatory challenges?
How was I going to get my health/fitness/weight back on track after spending the past six years torturing my bodies with work and travels? I was a five-time marathon runner before I took this job. Now I struggle to finish 5K.
Why was the plane so close to Moscow?
This is the human side of business travel I believe millenials like me don't think about when they pursue things like this. It would kill me to become distant from my family and such.... I commend you for being able to deal with it. and i feel you with the health stuff. Its hard to keep yourself healthy and balance life at the same time.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Full English Breakfast

Of course as a mid-aged man, I want to eat healthy. But, that does not mean I cannot loosen up and dig into the saturated fat and sodium once awhile. Hey, I did grow up in a British boarding school, and the Full English Breakfast represents home cooking taste from my teenage era.

It has everything: The Protein Bunch of Sausages, Bacon, Baked Beans and Fried Eggs. Then, there are the healthy duo of Grilled Tomato and Sauteed Mushrooms. They are complimented with carbohydrates of Fried Potato (or Hush Brown) or Fried Bread. My mouth is watering as I tupe this post.

Andaze does the English Breakfast well. I skipped the fried bread so I can enjoy toast with the fine British Marmalade.

It was almost impposble to say no to the second serving of English Sausages:

Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Meh
Very interesting TR for me. I am travelling 15 years globally, first for a large corporate and the last 5 years for myself. I have an 8 and 5 year old at home, and a great wife. I probably now do a major tip (at least a week across at least 5 time zones) every 6 weeks. I fly premium and stay in decent hotels. But....I get the same dragging emotions lately as I am just tired of the travel, missing my kids and stuff at home. However, I need to pay the bills and keep the business growing.

So I can identify a lot with this TR. I go to Japan/Korea/China / Hong Kong in two weeks for 10 days, and I am going to make a big effort to get out of the hotel more and do stuff I would not normally do. Time to turn this travel lark into a positive, like it was 15 years ago.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
wow. thats kinda shocking to me.....

I remember when my father used to work for TI in the late 90s.... flew across the world 1-2 times a month.... I think he was glad to leave that job..

Now that he is in a new position and talking about Asian trips, I worry how long he is going to keep it up for. Plus now that my sibling and I are getting older... kinda just want more time with him (even though I hole myself up to do school work and focus on things... ). It sucks growing up... and i say this as i hear his suitcase rolling across the floor, another WN flight to the Bay Area this week

My condolences about the loss of that person that left a major impact in your life. I have people like that that I would feel the same about.

This is the human side of business travel I believe millenials like me don't think about when they pursue things like this. It would kill me to become distant from my family and such.... I commend you for being able to deal with it. and i feel you with the health stuff. Its hard to keep yourself healthy and balance life at the same time.

Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Thank you thetravelingRedhead for sharing your comments and thoughts. What you expressed about your dad is exactly my daughter/son have said to me recently. I just left home on another trip this morning and it was hard to say goodbye to my kids.

Originally Posted by stevie
Very interesting TR for me. I am travelling 15 years globally, first for a large corporate and the last 5 years for myself. I have an 8 and 5 year old at home, and a great wife. I probably now do a major tip (at least a week across at least 5 time zones) every 6 weeks. I fly premium and stay in decent hotels. But....I get the same dragging emotions lately as I am just tired of the travel, missing my kids and stuff at home. However, I need to pay the bills and keep the business growing.

So I can identify a lot with this TR. I go to Japan/Korea/China / Hong Kong in two weeks for 10 days, and I am going to make a big effort to get out of the hotel more and do stuff I would not normally do. Time to turn this travel lark into a positive, like it was 15 years ago.
stevie, I hear you. Kids grow up fast and you don't get missed time back. I am preaching something that I cannot deliver.

I think people don't quite understand is that when we are working while traveling. It is not like we can drop everything and start sightseeing. I have found myself working in the planes and hotel rooms in order to get ready for the next meeting or the next discussions.

I thought doing a work trip report may provide a different perspective than the usual leisure trip reports we read in this forum.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Sitting in a downtown Nashville hotel at 3:50am unable to sleep on my current 9 day work road trip has definitely not been exotic or glamorous.

This is year 15 of the grind.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Great report that brings out the human side of frequent travel. I know as I've gotten older, I find myself booking itineraries based on which routing means I'll be away from home the least, even if it means a higher cost.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'm reading this a few days before I fly to BCN for work. Pretty much everybody who hears about that itinerary is immediately jealous of my "having to go to Barcelona." How many of them also understand this pit I get in my stomach when I realize I'm about to be thousands of miles apart from my wife and my daughter for a week?

Thanks for telling it like it is, UA_Flyer. Hope the trip gets better for you and ends with some family time.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by chongl
The black and white makes it so drab

Hope you can get out of the grinding feeling!
That's not black and white--that's how Beijing actually looks on a polluted day!

The work trips definitely start to wear. I only realized it last year when I got excited about my 106th flight of the year in a way that I hadn't been in ages. The reason? My wife was joining me and it was leisure, not business.
This year's back to the grind, but I've made choices to cut back as well. I only hope that I can keep the resolve to balance when amazing opportunities come up that will still require travel and I don't want to miss them.

Last edited by MKE-MR; Feb 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Jan 31 London 1 of 2

London has been showing up in several of my trip reports in this forum. More prominently featured in:

This is London! - Inaugural LH A380 Frankfurt-Beijing Service!!

As a teenager who went to a British Boarding School in the countryside, occasional weekend getaway to London was always welcome and filled with excitements. The quote " If you are bored of London, you are bored of life" gets no disagreement from me.

On this day, I woke up to a gloomy rainy morning. My plan to walk around the streets was not going to happen. On top of the gloomy weather, jetlag was hitting me hard and I needed to get back the hotel by the middle of afternoon to do some work. Not a good way to start a day...

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 25, 2015 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Jan 31 London 2 of 2

Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
Sitting in a downtown Nashville hotel at 3:50am unable to sleep on my current 9 day work road trip has definitely not been exotic or glamorous.

This is year 15 of the grind.
Thanks for sharing apodo77! I have definitely been in the same place as you described. Have you seen the movie "Lost in Translation"? My mental state often mirror the opening 20 minutes of that movie.....travel to foreign land not knowing the languages and sat in taxi and just try to make sense what appeared in front of my eyes, got to hotel, and woke up in the middle of night because of jetlag....all lonely in darkness!

Originally Posted by jfidler
Great report that brings out the human side of frequent travel. I know as I've gotten older, I find myself booking itineraries based on which routing means I'll be away from home the least, even if it means a higher cost.
I do the same, jfidler. A few years ago, I was picking flights that would allow me to earn more miles and experienced different airlines and airport locations. Now, thanks to longer range airplanes, non-stop flights are preferred. Non-stop flights minimize travel time and allow more time on the ground instead of trapped in an aluminum tube. Premium cabins or not, body and health are more important.

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I'm reading this a few days before I fly to BCN for work. Pretty much everybody who hears about that itinerary is immediately jealous of my "having to go to Barcelona." How many of them also understand this pit I get in my stomach when I realize I'm about to be thousands of miles apart from my wife and my daughter for a week?

Thanks for telling it like it is, UA_Flyer. Hope the trip gets better for you and ends with some family time.
Thank you DCA writer! Friends or neighbors tend to forget we are traveling for work and we still have to work when we reach foreign lands. Often, we do double duties due to time differences. I often work the whole day in local time, and when US wakes up, I then have to work in accordance with US office hours. Sometimes, one works so hard and long hours, there is little energy left to do any sightseeing. Sleep or just want to get out and go home.

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
That's not black and white--that's how Beijing actually looks on a polluted day!

The work trips definitely start to wear. I only realized it last year when I got excited about my 106th flight of the year in a way that I hadn't been in ages. The reason? My wife was joining me and it was leisure, not business.
This year's back to the grind, but I've made choices to cut back as well. I only hope that I can keep the resolve to balance when amazing opportunities come up that will still require travel and I don't want to miss them.
Yes, MKE-MR! I feel the same way. Sometimes I have to blame myself because I don't want to miss that opportunity and volunteer to take on more work and that creates more travels. I love my job so much that sometime it is taking over me.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thank you DCA writer! Friends or neighbors tend to forget we are traveling for work and we still have to work when we reach foreign lands. Often, we do double duties due to time differences. I often work the whole day in local time, and when US wakes up, I then have to work in accordance with US office hours. Sometimes, one works so hard and long hours, there is little energy left to do any sightseeing. Sleep or just want to get out and go home.
I agree strongly with this. Asia especially being the worst - I remember a previous 6 day trip to Shenzen to meet with suppliers, I was up @ 5AM to get the last bit of the US workday in, then a full day in town, only to have the US wake up right when your about to sit down for dinner.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Working and traveling 300K BIS miles a year is mind-boggling. I don't absolutely have to travel anymore for business, thank goodness, and affirmatively avoid "optional" trips. Now I'm remembering why. Diet, exercise, family -- they all suffer. Working the whole time doesn't help either.

Swimming in a hotel or nearby pool usually makes me feel better. So does calling home. Short of hospital-grade pharmaceuticals, that's about all you can do, and even then time zones and scheduling are never really elastic enough.

Good luck.

Last edited by FallenPlat; Feb 26, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Smile Hamleys

From Wikipedia:

Hamleys is the oldest toy shop in the world and one of the world's best-known retailers of toys. Founded by William Hamley as "Noah's Ark" in High Holborn, London, in 1760, it moved to Regent Street in 1881.[1]

Its flagship store in London is across 7 floors with more than 50,000 toys. Located at Nos. 188-196 Regent Street, it is considered one of the city's major tourist attractions, receiving around five million visitors per year. The chain has several other outlets in the United Kingdom and others worldwide.
To cheer myself up, I decided to visit the Hamleys. I have been going there since the middle of 70s.....almost forty years later, it is still the place for me to behave as a child.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.