Wiki Posts
Search

CX business: Regional (772) vs long-haul (A340) - FUK-TPE-ICN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
CX business: Regional (772) vs long-haul (A340) - FUK-TPE-ICN

I flew from Japan (FUK) to Taiwan and then on to Seoul recently and both flights were meant to be in the regional-layout Boeing 777-200 but luckily the first fight ended up being a long-haul A340 with proper lie-flat seats in business. This has mucked up my flight report so it'll be in two parts:

1. Fukuoka (FUK) to Taipei (TPE) - new herringbone business class:
check my video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do9xc9b4LUU
Fukuoka is setup in an interesting way. Before you check-in or drop your back, you have to go through a security line. This means that no matter what class you're travelling in, you join quite a long slow lane. After a 20minute wait, I headed through to drop off my bags (priority line for J pax), cleared security again and then went to immigration. I was invited to the JAL lounge so I thought I'd go an grab breaky there.

It wasn't brilliant but i guess it's not a huge airport so I can't expect too much. Minimal food, reasonably alcohol though. It was fairly empty, as was the flight.

I'd heard that CX offers great business class service and this was no exception. The FAs were all friendly, engaging in small talk, admiring my camera, asking where I was from...etc. The captain was an Aussie so they were all keen to point that out.
I was impressed that they learnt my name (esp for such a short flight) even though they got it slightly wrong. I wasn't worried but the CSM identified the error later on and apologised.
The food was great - I got the Aussie beef - as was the drink. The desert was frozen so I had to leave that for 20 minutes to thaw but otherwise my wine glass was never left empty and any other concern was dealt with quickly.
The IFE was fine with plenty of English programs to keep me entertained.
The herringbone layout is interesting. It doesn't give you a great view out the window (I had to get into an unpleasant position to take footage on take-off and landing) although that's partially due to the A340s tiny windows. I don't think I've ever been in a modern aircraft with such small windows. It would be give anti-social if you were travelling as a couple but as a single it gives you quite good privacy (esp in contrast with QF's skybed). I must admit I don't mind the human interaction of strangers so I'm probably not a huge fan.

2. Taipei (TPE) to Seoul (ICN) - regional business class:

After the dismal JAL lounge, which CX J tickets get you access too, the CX lounge at TPE was much better. Not amazing, but certainly better.

I hung out here for a few hours waiting for the connecting flight. As with the first flight, the second flight was also delayed by around 20 minutes.

Priority boarding worked well and I did notice that J passengers had their own separate air bridge when leaving the aircraft.

There ended up only being 7 business class passengers so we almost had a FA each. As I've come to expect, CX's FAs are wonderful and this was no exceptions. Friendly, great with small talk, constantly checking in on you and constantly offering food/drinks.

The seats were quite good, I thought, for a regional business class flight. They don't move back into the guy behind you and there's plenty of space under the seat in front to slide your feet into. It's nowhere near lie-flat, but it's not bad.

Drinks were served followed by dinner.
I had braised chicken with scallion fried rice, pak choy which was OK. Not the best J meal I've had, though.

The IFE was fine with the standard noise cancelling headphones. There was heaps of english programs which kept me entertained for the 2ish hour flight.

We de-planed shortly after landing and our bags were the first to arrive on the carousel.

Looking back at our bird:

Over-all the flights were pleasant and I enjoyed having my first experience in the herringbone layout in the A340 as well as my first flight in an A340 itself. I still have a preference for Qantas (in fact these flights were purchased with QFF points) but I certainly have a new-found respect for Cathay Pacific.

I'm flying again in a CX A340 in early Jan so if you have any specific Qs about the new J class, let me know and I'll have a closer look and get back to you.

Last edited by PaulST; Dec 14, 2014 at 1:41 am
Old Dec 14, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by PaulST
The seats were quite good, I thought, for a regional business class flight.
Great report! You should fly European regional Business! You will sea this seats with new eyes
Old Dec 14, 2014, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Great report! You should fly European regional Business! You will sea this seats with new eyes
I'm assuming they're quite poor? I recall flying a South African Airways A320 earlier this year and the J seats were the same as Y, but with the middle seat covered with a piece of paper.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:43 pm

I'm assuming they're quite poor? I recall flying a South African Airways A320 earlier this year and the J seats were the same as Y, but with the middle seat covered with a piece of paper.
Euro-Biz = Economy with the middle seat blocked off. It makes me yearn for domestic F.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:54 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Very nice tr! glad to see CX on here. wish I could fly them in that cabin but I am stuck with the rear of the plane!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fpc552
Euro-Biz = Economy with the middle seat blocked off. It makes me yearn for domestic F.
Ah riteo, so just like SAA's A320. I didn't realize we had it so good in Australia. We complain if the domestic J seats don't fold flat... (but they're coming in QF A330s and I think Virgin may already have them, or are about to bring them out).
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Ah riteo, so just like SAA's A320. I didn't realize we had it so good in Australia. We complain if the domestic J seats don't fold flat... (but they're coming in QF A330s and I think Virgin may already have them, or are about to bring them out).
Yeah, in Europe you have 4 hours flights and Economy ist the only (real) option. Euro-Biz is a big waste of money in my eyes and I really hate Economy.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:34 am
Original Poster

I'm surprised as I thought there'd be enough money, esp from the 'proper' carriers like BA and Lufthansa, for proper J seats. Although I would agree, the short distances render it fairly pointless unless you've got too much money to care.
Here's Qantas' new regional business seats which you'll find on the 4hr SYD-PER route as well as the 1.5hr triangle SYD-MEL-BNE.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-busin...business-class
Old Dec 15, 2014, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I'm surprised as I thought there'd be enough money, esp from the 'proper' carriers like BA and Lufthansa, for proper J seats. Although I would agree, the short distances render it fairly pointless unless you've got too much money to care.
Here's Qantas' new regional business seats which you'll find on the 4hr SYD-PER route as well as the 1.5hr triangle SYD-MEL-BNE.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-busin...business-class
Looks not bad. I don`t think LH international Business is much better.....
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

Nice report. Will probably be flying the same TPE-ICN route this summer so thank you!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by reverted
Nice report. Will probably be flying the same TPE-ICN route this summer so thank you!
CX are upgrading their TPE J lounge some time in the new year so you may be lucky enough to be one of the first to see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.