Wiki Posts
Search

Kathmandu and trekking in Nepal via Etihad First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Apologies for the lengthy delay in updating the report. Not much in the way of functioning Wifi in the Annapurna. We're back in Kathmandu and hope to start updating ASAP. In the meantime, our trek was pretty difficult for someone that doesn't exercise enough. But the scenery was awe inspiring. Some sneak preview pics of some of the most beautiful landscapes in the world.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
The lounge offering at AUH now appears vastly better than the old split operation between First and Business Class - although I agree, it's no where near what you experienced in Doha with Qatar. The photos make it that evident. The Etihad short haul product in their A320's puts North American carriers to absolute shame. Proper catering, fabulous comfortable Recaro seats and a limo transfer!! I couldn't really ask for much more on a short - medium haul flight. ^
Agree. Can't wait for the new all First Class lounge.

Originally Posted by avicov
Out of interest up until what time is breakfast served in the lounge at AUH? What time does the lunch service start?
Breakfast seemed to be replaced by snacks around 8:30A or so. Since we departed around 9:10A I can't say when lunch starts.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Waiting patiently for crampons and trail side hole digging !
LOL. Fortunately, I was able to get by with just the pinky finger signal.

Originally Posted by dereiziger
awesome report so far!!! waiting impatiently for the next installment!!! Nepal is high on my list!
Thanks very much dereizinger. Back to working Wifi so it shouldn't be much longer.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't think roughing it is quite his style. Along with a team of sherpas I expect SFO777 will have a butler and personal chef to provide him with his usual comforts while ambling along the trail. Interesting report so far. ^
Thanks HIDDY. If Mrs. SFO were with me, I might agree. It was about as roughing as I want to get. I'm afraid that my legs will be aching for weeks.

Port a potty on a Sherpa?
Ha. It's open season all along the trail. Funny that they have to remind trekkers when it's not acceptable.

Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
SFO777 If your legs and feet are aching so much, I am currently enjoying a foot massage / reflexology at least three times a week in Mumbai. Highly trained blind men and women......

Hope to do the trek next year, God and wife willing !

Last edited by HMPS; Nov 10, 2014 at 2:43 am
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:41 am

Atta boy SFO777. That trip was always on my bucket list. Now I'm too old , a geezer.
Did a lot of Colorado climbs and the aching legs are not pleasant. Drink up on the flights home!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
SFO777 - an amazing trip report, as usual. Thank you for taking the time to write it. You have such a gift for presenting a masterful travelogue with just minimal words and your sharp photographic eye. I eagerly await the next installment.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Excellent report as always. Sad you couldn't talk Mrs. SFO777 into coming, but probably nice to have a guys trip with Jr. too. Definitely look forward to the rest!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apologies for the delay. Finally back (almost) home on our UA flights from IAD-DEN so I'll be able to catch up and update more quickly.

The Shangri-La Kathmandu
Kathmandu, Nepal

We had arranged every element of our trip with a tour company that booked us in a standard Lilliuputian-sized room at the Shangri-La. Nowhere near the most luxurious Shangri-La in the chain. It's a pretty dated hotel but an oasis of calm away from the noise and smells of the city. But a wonderful and friendly staff made this a pleasant choice.

Yeah, it was tiny but the beds were comfy, TV had lots of satellite channels and the Wifi was good.

Nice view of the lovely courtyard.

We ate all of our Kathmandu meals in strangely named indoor-outdoor-lawn seating "Coffee Shop" which featured a variety of excellent dishes at ridiculously cheap prices. Our dinner with 3 beers, a starter and two mains was $23 including VAT and service.

My staple evening dish, the Kathi rolls... pulled Tandoori chicken in an fajita-style egg fried wrap.

And excellent breakfast including excellent buffet and full omelet station.

The Yak cheese was delicious.

Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today we are off to Pokhara, gateway to the Annapurna region. And what could be more comforting than flying Buddha Air! Today is our first look at the "rustic" KTM domestic terminal. A new terminal is under construction and apparently has been for some time... and will be for quite some time.

After a rather primitive security check which involved bag screening, a non-function metal detector and pat down (Gents room and Ladies room) we are in the departures lounge.

Hey, there is even a lounge.

The door wasn't locked... so I went in. Whoa, this is one butt ugly lounge. Snapped a couple of quick pics before security came in and asked why I was there and told me to get out as this was "only for VIPs". I debated whether to have fun with the guy but decided to shut up and apologzed and left. LOL.

Meanwhile over near our "gate".

Risked that they didn't really mean this like in the UAE...

Kathmandu-Pokhara
Buddha Air 611
ATR-72
11:00A-11:40A
November 6, 2014
Economy Class

On the bus to our gate.

Not sure if our FA was welcoming us or telling me no pics. Ha.

If you fly to Pokhara, DO NOT fly Buddha Air. Crappy old ATRs but the worst part is the windows are so filthy and scratched that is very difficult to see anything. Fly Yeti or GOMA. The best I could do thru the crappy windows.

Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
SFO777 If your legs and feet are aching so much, I am currently enjoying a foot massage / reflexology at least three times a week in Mumbai. Highly trained blind men and women...... Hope to do the trek next year, God and wife willing !
Thanks HMPS. My legs have finally started to recover, but for a couple of days I felt like a cripple. My only lingering issue is Delhi Belly or the Nepali equivalent.

Atta boy SFO777. That trip was always on my bucket list. Now I'm too old , a geezer. Did a lot of Colorado climbs and the aching legs are not pleasant. Drink up on the flights home!
Thank you LANDJ999. Remarkably there were a lot of geezers (myself included on the trip). Treks come in different paces and degrees of difficulty. If you are simply too tired, Jeeps are available to transport you from lodge to lodge. Even helicopters if money is no object and/or if you are trekking with a Princess.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
SFO777 - an amazing trip report, as usual. Thank you for taking the time to write it. You have such a gift for presenting a masterful travelogue with just minimal words and your sharp photographic eye. I eagerly await the next installment. -FlyerBeek
Thanks so much FlyerBeek for your kind and generous comments. I appreciate them.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Excellent report as always. Sad you couldn't talk Mrs. SFO777 into coming, but probably nice to have a guys trip with Jr. too. Definitely look forward to the rest!
Thank you Digital01. No, I'm very happy that she wasn't along. She would have been miserable in Kathmandu and with the extreme trekking. And KTM airport? OMG, the international "terminal" is the worst, ugliest and most disorganized on the face of the earth.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777

The door wasn't locked... so I went in. Whoa, this is one butt ugly lounge. Snapped a couple of quick pics before security came in and asked why I was there and told me to get out as this was "only for VIPs". I debated whether to have fun with the guy but decided to shut up and apologzed and left. LOL.

Ok, I will never complain about the United Club again
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Surftel
So another good deed by SFO777
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:34 am

Let's examine the lounge again.

No problems getting a seat. I bet those chairs are comfy, like the ones in your grandmother's house. No problem getting an outlet to charge your devices. They have water and a bucket. And the plants are awesome...

Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Ah, SFO777, your Shangri La shots bring back some fond memories of meals and business meetings in that garden area.

As for Kathamandu and its airport, as of my last visit several years ago they'd changed less (in positive ways) than almost any other capital city I'd visited for work and play over the years - except for the increasing shroud of gray pollution dimming one's view of the mountains one can see in the distance. I love the country and it's people, but it's not exactly a development success story.

Sorry to hear about the belly problems! For future reference, if you go to a place like Nepal for future travels, the CDC recommends two pepto bismal tablets four times a day (before each meal and at bedtime). Not a cure for stomach bugs, but they do something like coat the digestive system (I'm sure there are more technical terms) and act as a partial prophylactic.

Hope the rest of your trip is a happy, healthy one.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:10 pm

Actually, I was going to say just the opposite...they have working flat-screen departures boards and a water cooler, whereas at the DCA US Club we get broken CRT departure monitors and a pitcher of water on the unmanned bar. I was rather jealous...
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:11 am

Hiking??
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Hiking??
Bahaha, that was my 1st thought too when SFO777 came up with this trip idea.
I'm like you're doing 4 days of HIKING?!?

That said, it is very nice to see him and Jr. have this experience
I for one know I won't have his experience, because I bet Dad SHF would just say "Go do hiking on your own".
Or he would say.
Go do 4 days of Hiking with Mama SHF

SFO777, you're tempting me to grab the pen and my hard-drive of 200+ GB of pics to write another trip report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.