Search

Kathmandu and trekking in Nepal via Etihad First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
Up next: Welcome to Kathmandu, a city that Mrs. SFO will never visit. LOL.
Sad... Great Report as always^^^
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:58 am

Have a great time in KTM. A great report so far :-)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I had opted for Nepal's visa on arrival program instead of sending my passport to the Nepalese Embassy. Turned out to be the right call as we registered online at home (new service) and were out of airport in less than 10 minutes. If more flights had landed when we did, it might have been a different story. Our local tour company manager Deepak met us inside customs and helped direct us to the fastest counter.

Once outside, feels and smells like India. Deepak handed us off to our guide Mahesh and driver Anik for some late PM sightseeing.

And the sights and sounds of Kathmandu. Slow rush hour traffic thru congested streets with some of the worst pollution I've seen and smelled in long time. Felt like I smoked a pack of cigarettes last night. Wow.

With an electrical grid hookup system just like Delhi. LOL.

Our first stop was a small lane...

... which led to the impressive Boudha Stupa. Dating from the 15th century, the stupa is one of the largest and most significant Buddhist monuments in the world.

The stupa is surrounded by shops and buildings that almost makes you think that you're somewhere in Europe.

Before we drove to the hotel, we stopped for a beer at a rooftop restaurant.

And back to find our car and driver, and enjoy the "fresh" Kathmandu evening air, which tonight seemed what I might envision the air would be sitting in a running car in a closed garage. Wow.

Twenty minutes later we arrived at The Shangri-La Kathmandu. Dated but comfortable hotel with a lovely inner courtyard that is a wonderful oasis from the noise and bustle of Kathmandu. The view from our room.

For more pics and an HD version on my report, please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 5, 2014 at 7:51 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
Very unique TR SFO777, well done.
Thank you pointspinnacle.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Fantastic report and I look forward to reading the rest of it. I haven't actually tried EY before but it looks like an all around good experience and appears to be about on par with what I've seen on QR, perhaps even a little better maybe. I certainly agree that it appears the EY short-mid haul product would destroy any US or even any North American airline. Shame that the standards for comparable US domestic flights are so low.
Thanks cmd320. Totally agree on the pathetic service standards at NA airlines. As good as EY long and short haul is, I would rate them #3 in the Gulf behind QR and EK.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
available for fee at AUH (and many other airports)
Thanks for the info Kagehitokiri. Hopefully EY leaps ahead of QR and EK with a complimentary limo to plane side service for F pax.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Yet another useful TR, TR Master! Good to yet again read about EY F, as it's definitely on my radar screen. But even more useful to get a sense of the regional J product, which I've seen less reporting on. (My sole experience on EY, in J 1-2-1 long-haul Jakarta-DOH earlierthis year, was great in terms of both hard and soft products.) If that's the "worst" EY does for such flights, it's doing pretty well.

LOL indeed! Based on my limited comparative J experience and what I'm reading about F on the two airlines, it seems that EY has leap-frogged EK in its premium cabins. Better J on some flights, roomier F suites land better food, though service seem to remain at least somewhat inconsistent on both.

On other fronts...
Interesting to see how down on AA you've become, especially in comparison with UA. I know you had that less-than-satisfactory international AA F trip. And I agree that it's going downhill under the new leadership (though so far not as far as UA has in terms of its IT systems and FF program). But at least for my somewhat different purposes - mainly business travel in domestic F and the quite good 1-2-1 international J on its 777Ws, bagging upgrades for both, phone service and other treatment as an AA EXP versus a UA 1K, and cashing in points for CX F (and I hope EY F) - I'm still pretty happy with it.

And...

Having first traveled to Nepal with a backpack in 1980 (!) to trek Annapurna and having been back several times in more recent years for work, I'm quite interested in your impressions of the Shangri La, KTM and your hiking. Have a great rest of the trip!
Thank you Thunderroad and for all of comments. As I noted above, I would actually rate EY behind EK and QR. QR's wine list is arguably the best in the world. Their F is better than EY and their J is better than both EK and EY. And the DOH Business Class lounge is one of the most astonishing lounges one will ever see... with Krug the well champagne.

Yeah, I'm pretty down on AA these days. I don't see the point in being loyal and spending more time by connecting when AA catering is on a par with prison or hospital food. I've decided not to even try to re-qualify for EXP next year and plan on flying the airline that offers the best combination of convenience and price for domestic travel.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sad... Great Report as always^^^
Thank you offerendum. Agree on the Sad comment. But what can I do?

Originally Posted by SYDSiderFlyer
Have a great time in KTM. A great report so far :-)
Thanks very much SYDSiderFlyer.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Excellent report so far, as always! Etihad looks great; I haven't had great luck with F availability for dates I've wanted out of IAD, though I'll keep trying.

How far out did you book those?

Looking forward to the trekking pics! Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

always amazing photos in these kinds of trip reports ^

Thanks for the info Kagehitokiri. Hopefully EY leaps ahead of QR and EK with a complimentary limo to plane side service for F pax.
i might pay for this as economy passenger. im surprised there is not more discussion on flyertalk from those who pay for (expensive longhaul) F tickets, when F/J sometimes does not even include fast track let alone additional services which can mean a lot of saved time.

hmm, wonder how AUH VIP terminal works in conjunction with preclearance.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Agree on the Sad comment. But what can I do?
Nothing, it´s her choice
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
With an early morning departure and no Mrs. SFO to please
The Current EY lounge picking look very meh, especially if placed against DXB and DOH.
You don't miss the "Never book me in this crap again" LOL

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
available for fee at AUH (and many other airports) >
$544 - VVIP, tarmac sedan transfer, private terminal, private room
http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/englis...-terminal.aspx
http://www.vipterminalabudhabi.com/index.html

this seems like a bad sign re EY providing anything >
http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...t-service.aspx

http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/englis...-services.aspx
$54 - fast track
$136 > $177 - VIP, lounge

http://www.abudhabiairport.ae/englis...ar-lounge.aspx
$408 - VIP, private room

(prices are for ~2 pax)
544, Woah! Oil Lord's Ransom!

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
On other fronts...

Interesting to see how down on AA you've become, especially in comparison with UA. I know you had that less-than-satisfactory international AA F trip. And I agree that it's going downhill under the new leadership (though so far not as far as UA has in terms of its IT systems and FF program). But at least for my somewhat different purposes - mainly business travel in domestic F and the quite good 1-2-1 international J on its 777Ws, bagging upgrades for both, phone service and other treatment as an AA EXP versus a UA 1K, and cashing in points for CX F (and I hope EY F) - I'm still pretty happy with it.
Thunderroad, beware of the FF program, I don't think they are done with the tweaking by any means.
IT system, please lord don't give us another HP/US system crash
Is AA still better than UA, without consideration to routing and convenience factor.
I believe so, but not for our DEN based SFO777 it wouldn't

Thank you pointspinnacle.
And the DOH Business Class lounge is one of the most astonishing lounges one will ever see... with Krug the well champagne.

Yeah, I'm pretty down on AA these days. I don't see the point in being loyal and spending more time by connecting when AA catering is on a par with prison or hospital food. I've decided not to even try to re-qualify for EXP next year and plan on flying the airline that offers the best combination of convenience and price for domestic travel.
You got that right about the DOH J lounge, that place made any lounge look 3rd world.
Pure case of running out of ideas on how to burn money.

Same, down on AA as well, but my pickings are slimer than yours.
I'll wait until at least Apr to discount AA completely, since you can requal with your patterns by that point even.

And the sights and sounds of Kathmandu. Slow rush hour traffic thru congested streets with some of the worst pollution I've seen and smelled in long time. Felt like I smoked a pack of cigarettes last night. Wow.

With an electrical grid hookup system just like Delhi. LOL.

SFO777, you've really lucked out on PEK pollution back in Sep.
It's not even comparable vs. these KTM pics.

That said, when have you "Felt like I smoked a pack of cigarettes last night"
College Days

Still Nepal, looks close to Bolivia and Paraguay level of wealth to me
Which reminds me, I've got writing to do @:-)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After a delicious breakfast, we met out guide Mahesh and driver Anik for a full day of touring in and around Kathmandu.

Uh huh.

Our first stop is the Hanuman-dhoka Durbar Square and Basantapur Durbar built in the late 1700's.

Amazing single file queue for left turns.

On our way to the burbs.

To the ancient village of Bungamati, dating back to the 8th century. Here life goes on as is has for centuries.

Yuk.

And back on the road into Kathmandu. I'm guessing no emissions controls here. Yikes.

To the Patan Museum area.

But first some lunch at the museum café.

The museum is well worth a visit. It was restored with the help of the Austrian government.

Pics from around the area.

And finally time to head back to the hotel.

And my favorite sign of the trip.

Please visit SFO777.com for many more pics of our day in Kathmandu and my HD trip report.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:17 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The lounge offering at AUH now appears vastly better than the old split operation between First and Business Class - although I agree, it's no where near what you experienced in Doha with Qatar. The photos make it that evident.

The Etihad short haul product in their A320's puts North American carriers to absolute shame. Proper catering, fabulous comfortable Recaro seats and a limo transfer!! I couldn't really ask for much more on a short - medium haul flight. ^
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Skywards
Out of interest up until what time is breakfast served in the lounge at AUH?

What time does the lunch service start?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:53 pm

Enough of this First class stuff

Waiting patiently for crampons and trail side hole digging !
Old Nov 8, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, UA Mileage Plus
awesome report so far!!! waiting impatiently for the next installment!!! Nepal is high on my list!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Waiting patiently for crampons and trail side hole digging !
I don't think roughing it is quite his style.

Along with a team of sherpas I expect SFO777 will have a butler and personal chef to provide him with his usual comforts while ambling along the trail.

Interesting report so far. ^
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I don't think roughing it is quite his style.

Along with a team of sherpas I expect SFO777 will have a butler and personal chef to provide him with his usual comforts while ambling along the trail.

Interesting report so far. ^
Port a potty on a Sherpa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.