Aer Lingus ‘new’ 757 (Air Contractors) MAN-DUB-YYZ in Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

In April this year Aer Lingus started a new DUB-YYZ route with a leased Air Contractors 757. I am a frequent traveller on the MAN-YYZ route for short duration trips. Usually, this involves a connection in FRA or LHR and costs an obscene amount of money in Economy, usually Ł1-2k.

I knew that I had an upcoming trip in Oct for 2 days and saw that Aer Lingus are selling Business Class returns from the UK from Ł1600 all-in. I checked my usual route for the two-day trip and it was pricing out at Ł2.4k in premium economy so decided to try Aer Lingus.

Route: MAN-DUB-YYZ-DUB-MAN
Fare basis: Y / D
Price paid: Ł1,672 all-in

Unfortunately, the timings aren’t a perfect match from MAN on a Sunday (I’m not sure about week days.) There is a connection with 50mins at DUB which leaves no room for delays so I opted to take the 0800 from MAN which meant a ~4 hour layover in DUB. This was actually OK as I had a stack of work I needed to do.

Executive summary: Exceptional value for money. Good in-flight service. Great for a day flight, though angled lie-flat bed not good for sleeping, a trick missed in the 757 refit.

Manchester (GB)
Check-in was empty. No fast track was given but when I queried the check-in agent told me to show my business class BP to security and they would let me use the fast track. They did, which was lucky because security was an absolute zoo tailing back almost to the entrance and this was at 6.45am on a Sunday! Aha... Half-term! Lots of people were going to miss their flights.

Fast track was a breeze and I was airside in about 7-8 minutes.
From my recent experience, MAN has major peaks and troughs in T1 security. Fast track is usually available for Ł3.50pp if pre-booked together with parking which is a prudent gamble unless you want to arrive with much time to kill.

MAN-DUB EI203
A319
Economy
Dep/Arr 08:00/09:00

This is an all-economy flight and no priority boarding offered for Business Class connections. Priority is given (and enforced) for Gold Circle members. There is a buy on board menu and I enjoyed by €2.50 coffee

A gloomy Sunday in Manchester:

Legroom more than adequate for 35min hop:

Dawn over the Irish Sea:

Morning in the Emerald Isle:

Dublin (EI)
It looked like I was one of the only passengers connecting in DUB so I was first through the connections and security area. There was no secondary screening for this early UK flight, which is a major inconvenience at European hubs. It literally took 30 seconds and I was back airside.

I was starving at this point so headed for a greasy fry-up before hitting the lounge:

Aer Lingus’ T2 lounge is quite small though attractively designed. There is a small buffet/bar area with drinks and snacks with two ground floor seating areas. Upstairs there is a small balcony with a quiet area and a viewing area.

As with all European lounges, the drinks are free and self serve. I weakened and had a Guinness.. I was in the might DUB after all.

Boarding was called and I made my way to the gate. One work of warning, don’t leave it too late to go to the gate if you are at a high number. My iphone tells me I walked 1.83km in Dublin airport on Sunday!

DUB-YYZ EI129
B757
Business Class
Arr/Dep 13:50/16:15
Load 9/12

Boarding was early (40min before departure.) Each seat which would be occupied had been prepped with amenities (pillow, blanket, coat hanger, menu.) Champagne, water or orange juice was quickly offered and refilled twice before departure!

There was a single member of crew serving the front section and she was simply brilliant. Courteous, attentive and incredibly efficient. Service ran like clockwork. I have to say, this is probably the best service I have had in a premium cabin with the exception of Asian carriers. Every few minutes there was a refill! Brilliant!

The seat is a 2-2 layout with an angled lie flat. On the outbound it was perfect with lots of space to stretch your legs. The bed mode on the return wasn’t quite as good and I didn’t sleep very well. Not a patch on BA or Ex-Continental flatbeds. It’s a shame really, I can’t help thinking that they have missed a trick on this one as there is plenty of space for 12 flat bed seats in this cabin.

Seat & Cabin environment:

The bed is angled lie flat, not particularly comfy:

Row 1 is the place to be, but gets cold:

Amenity pack:

About 3-4 hours in to the flight the Captain came on the PA to say that there were spectacular views of Greenland from the starboard side and they were simply incredible:

Menu/Food outbound (afternoon):

Canapes:

Parma Ham:

Lamb:

Desserts AND Cheese Plate

Menu/Food return (red-eye):

The red-eye offers an express option dinner. It is supposed to be served on one tray but in reality, it was a standard dinner service served a bit quicker. This may have been because we were 30min delayed.

Canapés:

Salad:
#

Beef Fillet:

Still mooing

I passed on desert and breakfast.

Toronto (CA)
Flights depart from T3 where the non-Star Alliance European airlines are based. Check-in is at the very far end of the terminal, which is a bit of a walk if you enter from the skytrain or by the BA counters. Check-n have limited access to the connecting sector in Europe, so if you want to change a seat you will need to go to the connections desk in DUB.

Flights depart from the remote pier (gates 32-33 etc..) and the AF/KLM lounge is used. There was a selection of hot food which looked pretty tired and a small bar selection. The lounge is old and significantly inferior to the BA lounge in terms of comfort, facilities and food/beverage offering.
The remote pier does have some decent public food/bev options though.

Last edited by OttoMH; Oct 27, 2014 at 2:54 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:22 pm

thank you for the great pics...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:43 pm

Thanks for posting your trip report. I have been curious about their business class product. I do have some questions about the movie screen. It looks really low. Was the placement good for watching? Did it pivot or move closer? It looks really awkward to me and seems like you would be bending your neck to view it.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halfcape
Thanks for posting your trip report. I have been curious about their business class product. I do have some questions about the movie screen. It looks really low. Was the placement good for watching? Did it pivot or move closer? It looks really awkward to me and seems like you would be bending your neck to view it.
Thanks!

It is quite low. It pivots by about an inch or so. This is not ideal (though not a major problem) when seated upright, however the chair drops significantly lower as you recline, bringing it closer to eye level.

The IFE movie choice was quite limited, well, not limited but not much new stuff, Infact hardly any. Alien and Aliens was on there so I'm not complaining 😃
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:56 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
seems nice! but you are right, they could have put lieflats in instead of the angled ones
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:31 pm

Thanks for the pictures

I'd love to redeem Avios on YYZ-DXB-Europe RT (even though I have to call BA) without YQ
but 757 is such a turn off vs. their A330 (plus, they'll introduce new Business-class in 2015)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Late to the party I know but I have just booked this itinerary to take the family on our annual jaunt to see the relatives in YYZ.

How does immigration work out of interest when transiting DUB? Do you have to clear Irish immigration in both directions when connecting?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:40 am

These are the Old Virgin Atlantic Upper class seats introduced as "flat bed" they were covered in a deep red leather.
As with lots of these airline seats,they eventually get recycled/recovered and reused by other airlines.
Air Astana has also used these old VS seats on some of their fleet.

Virgin had two seats on display at the Club House at Heathrow when these were first introduced.
Best position was slight Lazy Z position as they were VERY close to the floor.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:30 am

I noticed Aer Lingus operate the same 757 from an outside company from New York to Dublin.

What I liked is that it leaves at Noon and arrives at 11.40 PM.

But I was put off by it being an aircraft from an outside company with an old 757. And we are going in Y.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy
How does immigration work out of interest when transiting DUB? Do you have to clear Irish immigration in both directions when connecting?
There's a dedicated 'connections' immigration and security on arrival to DUB. From the UK it was passport only, from YYZ there was security but no queue, through in a couple of minutes tops.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Still mooing

You may miss BA's flat bed but at least EI seem to be able to cook a steak properly. BA you get a choice of cremated or even more cremated!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Bretteee
But I was put off by it being an aircraft from an outside company with an old 757. And we are going in Y.
I flew the same 757 DUB-YYZ in Oct. and didn't find it too bad for economy. Good meals and IFE made flight go by fairly quickly. Just MHO.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, LH Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Le Club Accorhotels, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by OttoMH
There's a dedicated 'connections' immigration and security on arrival to DUB. From the UK it was passport only, from YYZ there was security but no queue, through in a couple of minutes tops.
Great to know - thanks ^
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:54 pm

I wouldn't worry about that in Y at all. The 757 is a fine airplane and pretty much perfect for East Coast - Ireland hops. They don't typically have up-to-date configurations for business class, but it's not like they have re-invented the wheel for economy class recently. If anything the changes have been for the worse in that.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
thanks for the TR!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.