Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going Back to New Orleans Aboard an Amtrak Train - Plus AA JFK-LAX 321 C

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:44 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fresar
Thank your for your trip report, very enjoyable! love the Trains TR, got bored already from all the flying TR...
Thank you! Glad people don't mind that I turned Flyertalk into Railertal for a minute

Originally Posted by pdsuk
...... we did Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle in April / May 2011 shortly after the terrible floods along that route.

I really, really enjoyed the trip and remember waking at 3am so we could see Fargo (even if it was pitch black !). I also remember eating well (for a train) and good company of dining guests.

Me thinks I need to plan another Amtrak trip soon ........
Wow you're brave, I slept right through Fargo when I rode the Builder, but I was able to see Minot, ND for what that's worth. The Builder has some of the best Amtrak food too. And I agree, remember the ABPTT...Always Be Planning Train Trips
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thank you! Glad people don't mind that I turned Flyertalk into Railertal for a minute

Wow you're brave, I slept right through Fargo when I rode the Builder, but I was able to see Minot, ND for what that's worth. The Builder has some of the best Amtrak food too. And I agree, remember the ABPTT...Always Be Planning Train Trips
My bolding

Having seen the movie, it just had to be done

It was quite an amazing trip, the water levels were still very high it almost felt like you could touch it when gazing out the window. There were only one or two times when the driver needed to slow down as a result of it.

I must say that train travel in the USA gives a very different perspective on the country as a whole and on train travel as a means of transportation -- I'll be taking a 4.5 hour journey to Vienna before the end of the year and am very much looking forward to it.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
CMK10, great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoyed all of the Amtrak photos - they brought back good memories of my past long-distance sleeper travel on Amtrak . ^

One question, though: did you really need to steal glassware from the Admiral's Club?

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pdsuk
I must say that train travel in the USA gives a very different perspective on the country as a whole and on train travel as a means of transportation -- I'll be taking a 4.5 hour journey to Vienna before the end of the year and am very much looking forward to it.
Absolutely, that's why I keep doing it...I love seeing parts of the US I'd never see otherwise and also seeing parts I have seen from a different perspective. Plus so much else of my life is rushing around from place to place, being able to relax and not caring what time it was is a relief.

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
CMK10, great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I especially enjoyed all of the Amtrak photos - they brought back good memories of my past long-distance sleeper travel on Amtrak . ^

One question, though: did you really need to steal glassware from the Admiral's Club?

-FlyerBeek
Than you. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. And obviously the answer to your question is no, but I did anyway. I'm not saying it was right but there it is.

Oh I saw the TR made the front page of FT...that's quite an honor so thank you to everyone for viewing it and commenting to put it there ^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Beautiful report, thanks for sharing. During my trip in the US in may I was supposed to take the California Zephyr from SLC to EMY, but it was canceled due to a landslide. At least I can see here what I have missed
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by straniero
Beautiful report, thanks for sharing. During my trip in the US in may I was supposed to take the California Zephyr from SLC to EMY, but it was canceled due to a landslide. At least I can see here what I have missed
Oh wow that's unfortunate. If you ever get a chance, take it, especially from DEN to EMY. Thank you for your words though.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for taking the time to share your Trip Report and pictures.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Awesome TR. Great to read train reports. This is now making me seriously think about doing a Amtrak journey next time I'm stateside. However my preliminary research shows that those sleeper tickets cost a pretty penny.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for taking the time to share your Trip Report and pictures.
You are very welcome!

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Awesome TR. Great to read train reports. This is now making me seriously think about doing a Amtrak journey next time I'm stateside. However my preliminary research shows that those sleeper tickets cost a pretty penny.
Thank you! Yeah Sleeper tickets are pricy, this one for both of us came to around $1,600. I think it's worth it though, you're getting 3 meals a day plus overnight accommodations. If you go off season or in the middle of the week it can be less, also so if you take a single night trip. We've done those for $600-700.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nicely done as always, Mr. K! ^^ You and your Dad make a fine pair of traveling protagonists and I do so enjoy your writing style. Hmm... now wouldn't that be a group for a future train trip - you and your dad hooking up with our mutual friend up in Pennsylvania and his grandfather...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: All of them!
My thanks for sharing with us, and I echo other comments on your fine writing style!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Nicely done as always, Mr. K! ^^ You and your Dad make a fine pair of traveling protagonists and I do so enjoy your writing style. Hmm... now wouldn't that be a group for a future train trip - you and your dad hooking up with our mutual friend up in Pennsylvania and his grandfather...
Thank you Mr. P. Chris and I have talked about just an encounter, he's actually spent some time with my family and fits in very well (but as he's the nicest person in the US how could be not?). We'd need more booze though

Originally Posted by cs57
My thanks for sharing with us, and I echo other comments on your fine writing style!
Thank you very much!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by avneeshj
I used 15,000 UR points for a Denver to Wolf Point trip in August. Nearly 70 hours on the train with all meals.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:43 pm

Nice TR and thanks for sharing.

I think that they have those tabs in the lounge so people can search for their flight and it'll pop up with a reminder. I was in the AA Lounge in Miami and they made a point to say that they don't make flight announcements. We could however check out our flight on the tab.

Also, why so dressy for a train trip?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by farbster
Also, why so dressy for a train trip?
Why not? To be sure, dressing up for travel in this day and age does seem kind of old fashioned, but once upon a time taking a long trip somewhere really was a big deal, a special event deemed worthy of dressing nicely for. It's cool to see that for CMK10 and his dad, it still is. Very retro.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.