Everest In Full Picture

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everest In Full Picture

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Amazing report; great writing and even better photography.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Awesome report, thank you!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
Well, this will now be one of the threads that I will show people, when explaining why I like this forum.

Thank you for this report.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Great FT! If you don't mind I'd like you ask you for some advice about how tough the hiking was. I'm in my early 30's and generally pretty fit, but have never really done any serious hiking. Would love to bring my father, who is just past 60, and in great shape. Neither of us have really had any serious hiking experience.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avneeshj
Awesome pictures again DanielW! Your pictures are simply mesmerizing!

BTW the game pictured above is called Carrom and is very popular in the Indian subcontinent.

Thanks for sharing this TR with us.
Thank you, avneeshj. Looked to be quite a popular game, saw 3-4 tables in action while I was there.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Wow! Thank for sharing. Fantastic TR^
Cheers, Andriyko. Definitely one of my highlights for 2014!

Originally Posted by stevie
great TR - beats flat beds and caviar!
Thanks, stevie, we did have a candy basket passed around on the Tara Air flights though.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Daniel, that is one of the most stunning TR I have read on FT in a long time. Those are some amazing pictures and definitely captured life in Nepal. Thanks for sharing.
Many thanks, HawaiiTrvlr. I would have definitely loved to stay longer, but got to see so much in my short time there.

Originally Posted by Airbridge
Quite simply, the best TR with the most awesome set of photographs I have ever seen on FT. Thank you so much for sharing this with us all ^
Thank you, Airbridge. I was getting sick of visiting cities/towns etc. this year, and really loved getting out to enjoy the beautiful scenery of Nepal.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Awesome TR.

How difficult was the altitude adjustment? I have spent just a short time in thin air and was amazed at how much difference there was.

I would think being awakened by trying to catch your breath would be a bit scary...
Thanks, goodeats21. The altitude wasn't too bad, I found myself breathing a little quicker in Namche, but no headaches etc. Was interesting to see how the body adapts to new conditions, quite fun actually.

Originally Posted by EricP
Daniel, you have become the benchmark in TRs.
Concise writing.
Stunning photography.
I have nothing but praise for your work. Thank you for sharing.
Many thanks, EricP. Takes a while to put it all together, but is great to see it all when its finished though.

Originally Posted by exilencfc
I am very jealous (though I don't think i'd cope with the altitude very well). Stunnig pictures as always and it looks like you had a great time.
Cheers, exilencfc. The altitude wasn't too difficult, more peculiar than onerous.

Originally Posted by nolan222
Awesome TR Daniel! Thank you for sharing! Im amazed and pumped to someday take this trip! The pictures just brought to life all I imagined it to be!
Thank you, nolan222. Yes, definitely add Nepal to your 'list', the Everest region especially.

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Holy !$&@! Now this is a trip report, simply amazing!
Many thanks, sfoactuary, the trip definitely exceeded my expectations too.

Originally Posted by shefgab
Amazing report...I really want to go back to Nepal now! I spent a few days there a few years ago, but never got out ot Kathmandu. I love the photo of the mountains at night with the tents in the foreground. Lovely!

How much was the tour, and was it very hard walking? Was it easy to organise>
Thanks, shefgab. The white snow on the mountain tops was a great reflector of the moon light, so was great to see it all lit up.

This is the trip I did, I got a small discount on the price though:
http://www.intrepidtravel.com/nepal/...re-basix-51856

The walking wasn't too bad. The uphill was tough, but the track was dry and the path was good, and we were only carrying daypacks, so nothing overly arduous.

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Hall of fame nominee!
Many thanks, bthotugigem05.

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Great stuff, thanks so much for sharing
Thank you for reading it, JohnnyColombia

Originally Posted by Orcair
Wow. Those photos are amazing!
Cheers, Orcair.

Originally Posted by makin'miles
Outstanding pictures - thanks so much. The faces, in particular, really give a sense for the place. (And good job lopping a few numbers of your passport - someone getting that information could turn into a big hassle!).
Thank you, makin'miles, I point my camera at almost anything so hopefully when I cull them down it gives a good overall sense of the place.

Originally Posted by ozziegumby
DanielW - thank-you so much for sharing this trip with us. The photos were amazing, especially the portrait shots as they really showed the heart and soul of such a amazing and unique part of the world which sadly most of us will never get to see.
Thanks, ozziegumby. Yes, the portraits are always fun, get to hassle the locals and hopefully make them smile with some chit chat.

Originally Posted by rts123
Thanks for another great trip report with beautiful photos! So much nicer than another first class & fancy hotel orgy. You clearly know how to make the most of life.
Many thanks, rts123. We had a long weekend (for Eid) so figured I better not let it go to waste by staying at home.

Originally Posted by mjr1975
Amazing report and pictures as always. Your trios just keep getting better and better.
Thanks, mjr1975, yes will definitely be hard to top this latest trip.

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Awesome trip report. Thanks.
Cheers, fivevsone.

Originally Posted by canuckshark
Amazing report; great writing and even better photography.
Thank you, canuckshark. Photo's are supposed to be 'a thousand words' so hopefully my own words help put it all together.

Originally Posted by brenrox
Awesome report, thank you!
Thanks, brenrox.

Originally Posted by Askartus
Well, this will now be one of the threads that I will show people, when explaining why I like this forum.

Thank you for this report.
Thank you for the compliment, Askartus.

Originally Posted by hlee628
Great FT! If you don't mind I'd like you ask you for some advice about how tough the hiking was. I'm in my early 30's and generally pretty fit, but have never really done any serious hiking. Would love to bring my father, who is just past 60, and in great shape. Neither of us have really had any serious hiking experience.
Thank you, hlee628. My guide said the oldest person on the trek he has had was 78, and I think the oldest person to summit Everest is 80+, so you should have no troubles. Since the porters carry the heavy loads (i.e. your clothes, sleeping bag etc.) you only have to carry what you need on the track, i.e. coat, water, snacks etc., so the hiking is quite enjoyable and not overly strenuous. The uphill bits can be tough but if you go at your own pace it is nothing insurmountable.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 6:11 am

Location: Dorset, United Kingdom. Frequently at higher altitudes.
Programs: BAEC Gold and a few others
Thanks for the report, really took me back to Nepal! I spent a lot of time there in 2005 and 2006, including walking that same trail you took. We just kept on going, and going, and going, until we reached the top of Everest after 54 days. And in all that time, I took not one photo as good as yours! You really captured the spirit of the wonderful people in Nepal. Loved it. You've inspired me to post a TR of my trip!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndMrsJones
until we reached the top of Everest after 54 days.
You may be the first FTer that I happened to notice on this forum who climbed Mt. Everest. Belated Congratulations!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Superb! ^
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Great report, as always. You continue to make every FTer jealous of your adventures.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat
excellent report. Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Wonderful report and simply spectacular pics. Thanks for whetting my appetite as I'll be there in three weeks with one of my sons.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:15 am

Thanks for posting your trip report. Amazing photos! Looks like you had a great time.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Great report DanielW! I've always been curious to see Nepal and Everest, particularly after seeing the Everest Beyond the Limit show on Discovery.

Always great to relive the experience through your camera lens.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Your photos are absolutely stunning. Thank you so much for sharing them!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:12 pm

You have a fantastic eye, Daniel, with some truly well-composed (and lit) shots.

I've not read any of your other TRs, though I am searching them out now. And thanks to your report, I'm adding this to my "Travel Bucket List".

Best,
-aa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.