Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Cubana IL96 in C (yes i am serious) to Havanna followed by Machu Pichu, Cuzco & Quito

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cubana IL96 in C (yes i am serious) to Havanna followed by Machu Pichu, Cuzco & Quito

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Wow, awesome photos! The IL-96 probably has higher ceilings than a comparable Western jet because the air/electrical systems do not seem to be routed there the way a Western aircraft would have it!

And that Star Peru stewardess... oh my!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More;
Cuczo - Aguas Calientes by Collectivo and Train

You could visit Machu Picchu as a day trip from Cuzco. But as it is quite some distance - which results in a little hurried schedule i took a little slower approach.

My plan was to first travel to Aguas Calientes (thats the town right below Machu Picchu) overnight there and ascend to Machu Picchu early the next morning.

If i remember correctly it is not possible to reach Aguas Calientes by road - only by train (and on foot if you have the time)

There are a few different options which train you take from Cuczo - the differences are the quality of the train and the starting point.

At the moment no train starts directly in Cuzco - some start a little outside in a town called Poroy, and some about half the way to Aguas Callientes in Ollyantambo.

Because it best fittet my schedule i took a train from Ollyantambo. There are a few different options to reach Ollanta from Cuzco. The easiest (and of course most expensive one) would be to hire a taxi to take you all the way. A little cheaper are Tourist Busses that drive there - but their schedule didn`t work for me. You can also use the public buses - thats the cheapest way - but there is no direct bus, so you have to change somewhere.

I myself chose the fourth option: A collectivo - thats a minivan that drives a fixed route - but without a schedule - it simply starts when its full.

The starting point of the route was just a few blocks from my hotel so i walked there in the morning and just looked for the next guy shouting Ollanta - as his Collectivo was almost full i got on board. The two remaining places filled up really quick and we were on our way.

There was a little room fur baggage in the car (like a backpack) bigger pieces of luggage got tied to the roof. About half of the passengers were from Peru - the rest were tourists, mostly from south america - i was the only not from a spanish speaking country.

Starting in Cuczo the first kilometers led us through some villages.

Later we didn`t see much houses - but instead could enjoy the landscape

About two hours later we arrived in Ollanta.

The price for the drive was just 12 Soles - thats about 3 Euros (and the driver didn`t try to overcharge me - just simply collected the same 12 Soles like from everybody else)

As i was not sure how long the drive would take i started early in Cuzco - as everything went well i arrived almost two hours bevore my train departure in Ollanta. Which gave me enough time for a few pictures und a second breakfast.

There are also some Inca Ruins in the neighborhood.

I think its fascinating how so many countries have some many different varietys of three-wheelers like Tuk-Tuks or Rikschas - but the coolest one i saw so far are definitely these here in Ollanta:

There are three different types of trains Peru Rail uses on the route to Machu Picchu (i think there are also other rail companies)

The most luxurious one is the Belmond Hiram-Bingham Luxury Train - its like the Orient Express with comfortable seating, fine dining and a bar - of course its also the most expensive one.

The other two are the Vistadome and the Expedition Trains. The Vistadome is a little more expensive and a little more comfortable.

As the times of the Vistadome fitted my schedule better (and the price difference wasn't too big - about 15 Euros) i took this one.

Here is the Expedition on its way back from Aguas Calientes

And here my Vistadome

The drivers compartment is only the right side of the car - so the first row on the left side has a nice panorama view over the track

As the train tickets can sell out really quick it is advised to book in advance - i booked my tickets online on the PeruRail homepage and printed my ticket at home (at least for the outbound trip - for the return i could just print a reservation, that i had to change at the PeruRail office for my ticket) Aufwand)

The seats where quite comfortable - and there was also enough storage space at the entrance and between the seat rows.

The cars had no storage overhead - but additional windows so you have a nice view on the surrounding peaks.

We even were served small snacks and drinks (included in the ticket)

Most of the route we followed this river.

As there is only one track on most of the route we sometimes had to wait to let an oncoming train pass.

It took about one and a half hours for the train to reach Aguas Calientes.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akersnl
Wow!

My #1 rule of travel is: Do not board an airplane made in Russia.
It actually was the sturdies looking plane i ever used

Originally Posted by offerendum
Wow, I´m totally impressed by your report! Thank you for this one! To be honest I´m absolutely not impressed by Cubana
Thank you,
and regarding cubana - it was better than expected and actually lots of fun!

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Amazing...thanks for sharing! I definitely know how I'm going to fly to Cuba when I go now!
Thank you,
and have fun on your flight if you go

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Amazing photos! Cuba's my last remaining country to visit in the Americas so hoping to get there soon.
Thank you,
i still have some countries in the americas to visit (so many islands in the Carribean)

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Wow, awesome photos! The IL-96 probably has higher ceilings than a comparable Western jet because the air/electrical systems do not seem to be routed there the way a Western aircraft would have it!

And that Star Peru stewardess... oh my!
Thank you,
also there is no crew rest like on some other planes in that area
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Aguas Calientes

There are some villages or towns that would look totally different if they wouldnt be right next to famous tourist attractions - Siem Reap near Angkor Wat is such an example.

Aguas Calientes is even more extreme - i don’t think there would be even one house there if it wouldn`t be the gateway to Machu Picchu. Almost the whole village consisted of restaurants, bars and hotels.

I only spent one evening in town - after i stepped of the train i checked in at my hotel and then had a bite to eat. After a few Pisco Sour i went to bed early as i wanted to get to Machu Picchu early in the morning.

From Aguas Calientes you can either take the bus up to Machu Picchu or walk by foot. I bought my bus on the day before, so i didn`t have to queue for tickets the next morning (still had to queue for the bus though as almost everybody wanted to get up early)

Oh - and bevore i forget it: There is one important thing to remember when you want to visit Machu Picchu: They don`t sell Tickets at the Gate! The last place where you can by them is down in Aguas Calientes. But as there are only 2.500 tourist allowed to visit Machu Picchu every day it makes sense to buy your tickets at home bevore you travel to Peru - would be really disappointing if you travel all the way and dont get in because you are the 2.501 tourist that day.
I bought my ticket on the official homepage - it wasn`t easy because the english version wouldn`t work all the way - but the spanish did. I finally got a resveration confirmation, which i could exchange for my ticket at the office in Cuczo.

Last edited by ARJ85; Sep 22, 2014 at 1:16 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Machu Picchu - Part 1 of 3

At the top of the mountain when stepping from the bus there was a small bar and a place where you could store your luggage. When entering Machu Picchu remember to take enough to drink with you as there is nothing sold inside the ruins.

It took longer as i expected until i was at the ruins - so the sun had already risen. But as some of the mountains surrounding Machu Picchu are higher as Machu Picchu itself some parts were still in the dark.

The Incas build really lots of terraces.

I didn`t enter the city first - but instead went on a path in the opposite direction about one and a half kilometer (thats almost one mile ;-) ) to the sun gate.

From the path there were lots of places where i had a nice view towards the city

The mountain shaped like a sugar loaf behind Machu Picchu is Wayna Picchu which i would climb later.
The sun started to rise behind the surrounding mountains.
I guess all of J J Abrams vacation pictures would look like this:

Here is the view from the sun gate

When i reached the sun gate i could also spot the first persons on top of Wayna Picchu

Now its time to walk back to the ruins

From the path i could also catch a glimpse of Aguas Calientes

Back at the ruins of Machu Picchu i had breakfast on one of the terraces above the city.
I bought those pringles back in Lima at sealevel - you can really see how the air is thinner up here!

Did i already mention that the incas built lots of terraces?

You all know those pictures where tourists pose so it looks like they touch the top of the eiffel tower or overthrow the leaning tower of Pisa (or was it support?) Not sure about what these two try to achieve - but it looks impressive.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Machu Picchu - Part 2 of 3

Next i walked through the city to the other side towards Wayna Picchu.

Of course there are also Lamas (or Alpaccas) around

You have to take this picture.

As i said there are only 2.500 tickets for Machu Picchu sold for every day. To acces the top of Wayna Picchu you need a separate ticket. As the path up there is quite narrow they only sell 400 of these for every day - 200 for early in the morning and a further 200 for 10 am.
I booked mine for 10 am online when booking the ticket for Machu Picchu.

Most of the path up to the top is in the shadow - but inbetween you get a nice view down into the valley and towards Machu Picchu.

Closer to the top i saw the first walls and of course some terraces built by the incas.

Thats the road the bus took up from Aguas Calientes

A few meters below the summit was a huge open platform with a great view

In the distance the sun gate where i was a few hours ago

The last few meters to the top of Wayna Picchu led through this narrow cave (i actually had to push my backpack in front of me)

And finally i was on the (a little crowded) summit

Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Machu Picchu - Part 3 of 3

Most of the path was the same to get up and down - just the last part was a different.

Während des Abstiegs kam ich kurz unterhalb des Gipfels auch noch an weiteren Inkaruinen vorbei.

About half past one i was back at the ruins of Machu Picchu.

I met two american tourists that were really excited they could take selfies with the Alpacas.

No selfie with me - just the Alpacca

Bevore i forget to mention it - the Incas built lots of terraces.

This shirt is missing one star

I could have stayed a few more hours - but it was time to leave again.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Simply amazing pictures. Fascinating report and brings back fond memories of my time in Cuba and Peru.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Great pictures. Look like the small premium for flying in Business class is well worth it.

Cubana used to fly regularly to Gatwick for many years...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, HHonors, Bonvoy, Accor
Fantastic pictures! Thanks for posting
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Truly impressive trip report. For those many of us unwilling to board Russian made planes to go anywhere...you can fly to Havana from London Gatwick on Virgin Atlantic.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:26 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
you are extremely lucky to visit Cuba.

Us americans wont be able to... unless we get a permit
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:33 pm

Very interesting trip report - thanks for putting it together! The Cubana flight looked like a very cool experience.

Originally Posted by ARJ85
Thanks to the separate line for Business check in at Havanna was really quick - and soon i was airside in Terminal three (inaugurated by Fidel and the Prime Minister of Canada?)
Canada and Cuba have historically had a fairly close relationship - Fidel was actually an honorary pallbearer at the funeral of former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Excellent report! thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
you are extremely lucky to visit Cuba.

Us americans wont be able to... unless we get a permit
not true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.