Search

Our week in Beijing and Shanghai via Air China and JAL First Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Our week in Beijing and Shanghai via Air China and JAL First Class

Now recovered from her May back surgery, Mrs. SFO is finally ready to get back into long-haul travel. We headed for our first trip to the PRC yesterday, 4 days in Beijing and 3 days in Shanghai. And first time flying on some new airlines, Air China on the outbound and Japan Airlines on our return.

United First Class Denver-San Francisco
United Global First Lounge at SFO
Singapore Silver Kris Lounge at SFO
Eva Lounge at SFO
Air China First Class SFO-PEK
Four Seasons Beijing
Beijing
The Great Wall
China Eastern Airlines First Class Beijing-Shanghai
The Peninsula Shanghai
Shanghai
Japan Airlines Business Class Shanghai-Narita
Japan Airlines First Class Lounge at NRT
Japan Airlines First Class NRT-LAX
American Airlines Flagship Lounge at LAX
US Airways Express First Class LAX-DEN

Our first stop today is United and our positioning fight to San Francisco. A comedy of mistakes this morning starting with trying to avoid another security at SFO by asking United DEN to check us in for our Air China fight, which I had booked on a separate PNR on united.com using Mileage Plus miles. I should have known better. Two Global First agents tried in vain for 5 minutes before giving up. No harm, no foul or so we thought.

No lines at Pre-Check and we were thru security in less than 90 seconds. And to answer a question I had wondered about... yes, using my Miles & More number does not zap Pre-Check from my reservation.

And via train to Concourse B.

We arrived at B45 just before boarding for everyone except us. The first hint of trouble was when we heard Mrs. SFO777, please check with the agent at the B45 podium. Apparently, the challenged Global agent had done something with our DEN-SFO reservation, even though we had checked in online at home, that generated a TSA alert and the dreaded SSSS on her reservation and boarding but only after it was re-issued. The gate agent had to summon TSA agents to the gate and re-clear her. Next, our boarding passes wouldnt scan at the jet bridge boarding stand. So, back to the podium for more tap-tap-tap on the Shares computer system, not once but twice. Success finally and we were the last to board. Amazingly there was overhead space above our seats.

With the trashing of AA by US Airways management, I am warming to United. Great DEN-based crew and a brand new A320, complete with nothing. In its infinite wisdom, United management ordered these new planes dark no IFE and no power. Just Wifi and a wifi based entertainment system. A nice idea as long as your battery holds out. Maybe OK on short hauls but they are now using these suckers on 5+ hour transcons. Wow, simply wow.

Yep, no power.

Open bar PDB, even for the stragglers like us.

Yo, United. You installed a curtain at the galley. Why not tell your cabin crew to use it??? @:-)

Unlike USdbaAA on a similar length flight, a full United breakfast flight with a choice of cereal or the Jeff McMuffin. I wasnt really hungry but took one for the team and the photo op. The egg wasnt very good but with the yogurt, fruit and delicious cinnamon bun, it was a substantial meal and better than a snack basket.

Not the most responsive Wifi service but when it did kick in, it was on par with gogo.

And you can use your computer, ipad etc to stream movies and other shows. Just as long as you don't drain the battery.

For more pics and updates, please visit my trip report at SFO777.com
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We arrived at SFO 30 minutes early and headed to the Global First Lounge to camp out until we could check-in for real this time at the Air China ticket counter.

Were used to being here in the evening when its deserted prior to Lufthansas SFO-MUC flight. Pretty crowded today with lots of UA departures. This has always been one of my favorite US lounges. After most of the crowd had left.

Its not Lufthansa or Singapore, but a very nice and selection of food and drink. Too bad United doesnt try to offer a better First Class product in the air.

While Mrs. SFO relaxed, I headed out to visit two other SFO lounges that I had not yet seen. Just to the right of the International Terminal United Club is a corridor leading to the Silver Kris Lounge and the Eva Lounge. Both lounges are only open for 4 hours prior to their flight departures.

The SKL is a pleasant but fairly basic lounge, with an uninspiring selection of serve yourself options. A far cry from the Cathay Pacific offerings in the A pier. Even the United Global First Lounge puts this to shame.

Unfortunately, the Eva Air Lounge was not open so all I could get were a couple of thru the door pics.

Up next: Air China First Class. Very enjoyable.

For more pics and updates, please visit my complete trip report at SFO777.com

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
ANOTHER one?!

Yay! Something to distract me from the referendum for a while!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:31 pm

Always exciting to read!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
SFO777 is spoiling us again.

Nice to see some new airlines under the 'spotlight'.

I still have a front row booking for the report on their next BA challenge at New Year. Getting really excited now

SFO777 - you are truly appreciated ^
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
can't wait for this one
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Nice! Looking forward to the JAL segments, I will be flying on the same ones in the future
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Looking forward to the Air China F thoughts and report. I am thinking about visiting PEK/PVG in the spring as well and I would like to try out the product pictured. From NYC and LAX/SFO that is the F product usually featured, right?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 pm

Terrific to see this trip. Did you eat any street food? I tried the starfish in Beijing and can honestly say it was disgusting.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:04 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I will be very interested to see what the catering is like on Air China First Class.

Having flown them internally in China (economy), and having visited their lounges in Beijing and Shanghai, the catering offerings were not very pleasant. In fact, the asian food offerings were on the "avoid in future" level during my travels with them.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:07 pm

Looking forward to another great SFO777 trip report, this time to my homeland
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
I love your cabin pics. Looking forward to this one, as I've been itching to visit Shanghai.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Up next: Air China First Class. Very enjoyable.
^

Really looking forward to this one SFO777, especially the CA bit.

This TR will be a big factor for if I put Mrs. Madone59 and I on CA for our December trip.

Enjoy China!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I wonder what Mrs. SFO will think of the train into the city/PEK subway system
(I have got free tours in China before. All you have to do is put up with endless stops to shops where you don't want to buy anything, but you get to see what there is to see. Plus, some exploring at the end makes for a complete experience. For my own trip, the worst part was the train coming back to SZX.)
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I will be very interested to see what the catering is like on Air China First Class.

Having flown them internally in China (economy), and having visited their lounges in Beijing and Shanghai, the catering offerings were not very pleasant. In fact, the asian food offerings were on the "avoid in future" level during my travels with them.
So bad in PVG that I used priority pass instead (as *G)
International for CA is completely different than Chinese domestic.
Think of Chinese domestic F like USA domestic F but with a bit better food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.