Old Sep 20, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Four Seasons Beijing looks stunning!
One of the great hotels.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I do have to say, SFO777, that yours are about my favorite straight "first world" trip reports. Perhaps because I don't fly internationally in anything but coach, I'm pretty immune to ooh-ah first-class pictures, too, but the bathtub-and-roses shot is just about the most amazing hotel thing I've ever seen. In a recent report, you also had lobster thermidor in an airport lounge (!!!), which was also right up there on the amazing front. The recent all-afternoon visit to the hole-in-the-wall cult restaurant in Paris was right up there as well. As for your grousing about AA's wines, I just think back over the years when they once served me -- I kid you not -- Lynch Bages 1995 on a business class op-up to CDG. No one else quite understood what it was and so my wife and I drank most of it. Ah, those days are gone forever!
Thank you so much FallenPlat for your very kind comments. Yeah, we've really been fortunate to have had some amazing experiences. Lynch Bages in AA J?? Wow, how times times have changed.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
You certainly know how to live!
Looking forward to JL F. I am flying JFK-NRT in a couple of weeks and really looking forward to it. That Four Seasons over-the-top service would probably make me uncomfortable.
Thanks glennaa11. Indeed FS service is over-the-top, but it really seems genuine and everyone makes you feel welcome and totally at ease. It's almost like you are part of the family for the time you are here.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Great report!

I like the man (who is presumably a city worker?) in the fluorescent orange vest, which he appears to be wearing over a knock-off US military uniform. 101st Airborne, I think not; especially not with subdued flag on the right arm patch the wrong way around
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:29 am

Wow amazing report. Loved your pictures of the The Great Wall. Just returned from Beijing myself 2 weeks ago. We had some great weather but not so lucky when we were at the wall. Very smoggy but didn't detract from what an amazing site. Look forward to seeing more. Shanghai is a great city, very modern and high rise. Thanks again!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:42 am

It is inspiring and heart warming to see the experiences you share with your wife all over the world, at amazing and wonderful places.

You are blessed to have such a gorgeous and sophisticated wife ^
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:08 am

Thumbs up

You've done it again SFO777
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I spy with my little eye a wall with the word "Gucci" on it:

Originally Posted by SFO777

While Mrs. SFO relaxed, I headed out to visit two other SFO lounges that I had not yet seen. Just to the right of the International Terminal United Club is a corridor leading to the Silver Kris Lounge and the Eva Lounge. Both lounges are only open for 4 hours prior to their flight departures.

For more pics and updates, please visit my complete trip report at SFO777.com
What/where is that? C'mon, never mind the lounges . . . I want to hear more about the important stuff . . . SHOPPING!!!!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:25 am

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
As always, a fantastic report thus far! Brings back memories of my trip to Beijing 1 year after the massacre happened.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:15 pm

Wonderful photos. I'm definitely taking note of visiting a less visited spot of the Great Wall for when I make it to China some day. How was the Chinese chardonnay? Granted, I tend to stay away from chardonnay for fear of the oak taste though I know I'm missing out on some good wines, but even this I'd have to give a chance.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
We are also avoiding most of the crowds by driving some two hours from Beijing to a lesser visited section.
This is highly sound advice. ^

My first visit to the great wall was to Baladang (spelling?) near the Ming tombs. Only one hour from Beijing, it was packed shoulder to shoulder and a Disneyland like experience.

My next visit to the Great Wall was with MrsWT73 to Mutianyu which was similar to the deserted experience experienced above. They were two entireley different visits. Mutianyu also had the serenity of this particular region on my visit.

May I further suggest that if you enjoyed this visit, that you should consider a visit to Macchu Picchu, Peru at sunset after all the day crowds have left? Truly special places on the globe. ^
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Great report! You couldn't have picked a better time to visit Beijing than September, when the temperature is pleasant and pollution is relatively low. The weather you experienced is probably as good as it gets.
And I second the others that the Four Seasons Beijing looked amazing.

After reading so many of your wonderful reports, I have secretly longed for your China TR and your opinion on the country where I grew up. I am glad you have enjoyed it so far.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Mrs. SFO moved over to her bed in 2A while I worked a little more. Then decided to sleep. Was going to have him make my bed in one of the other unoccupied seats... which had now been occupied by pilots... presumably the back-up crew.
This seems to be quite common with Chinese Airlines. I've seen other trip reports where the relief pilots are occupying First Class seats... I thought the 777-300ER had rest areas for the crew?

FDW
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
My first visit to the great wall was to Baladang (spelling?) near the Ming tombs. Only one hour from Beijing, it was packed shoulder to shoulder and a Disneyland like experience.

My next visit to the Great Wall was with MrsWT73 to Mutianyu which was similar to the deserted experience experienced above. They were two entireley different visits. Mutianyu also had the serenity of this particular region on my visit.
You were at badaling, which is a complete zoo from start to finish. It's not so bad if you go up the steeper side and go all the way to the end, but most people tend to go for the busier (and less strenuous) side with crowds for days
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BAEC Silver
Another great one from SFO777! Thanks for all your time and effort.

A bit baffled though by the fact that the IFE magazine cover of a Chinese Airline flying from SFO to China has the movie title in Greek!

Go figure!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Awesome TR so far SFO777, as indeed all of your trip reports are.

I'm blown away by your photos of the Four Seasons in Beijing. On the basis of your photos alone, I've added it to my approved hotel list. Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Sorry for the delay in posting the next chapters. Absolutely rubbish Wifi speeds at both the FS and the Pen Shanghai, and China's blocking of google and slowing of sites that use google in any way shape or form, is really frustrating.

Originally Posted by NickW
Great report!
I like the man (who is presumably a city worker?) in the fluorescent orange vest, which he appears to be wearing over a knock-off US military uniform. 101st Airborne, I think not; especially not with subdued flag on the right arm patch the wrong way around
Thanks NickW. LOL, welcome to knock-off city!

Originally Posted by SYDSiderFlyer
Wow amazing report. Loved your pictures of the The Great Wall. Just returned from Beijing myself 2 weeks ago. We had some great weather but not so lucky when we were at the wall. Very smoggy but didn't detract from what an amazing site. Look forward to seeing more. Shanghai is a great city, very modern and high rise. Thanks again!
nThank you SYDSiderFlyer. From what I gather, we got very lucky with the smog. Beijing and Shanghai are so very different. Shanghai is amazing, very western almost European in many areas. Construction and growth is astounding.

Originally Posted by Petrus
It is inspiring and heart warming to see the experiences you share with your wife all over the world, at amazing and wonderful places. You are blessed to have such a gorgeous and sophisticated wife ^
Thank you so much Petrus. Totally agree on the wife comment.

Originally Posted by AndrewE
You've done it again SFO777
Thanks AndrewE.

Originally Posted by ysolde
I spy with my little eye a wall with the word "Gucci" on it:What/where is that? C'mon, never mind the lounges . . . I want to hear more about the important stuff . . . SHOPPING!!!!
Coming soon! If I can ever get reliable Wifi.

Originally Posted by fly4work
As always, a fantastic report thus far! Brings back memories of my trip to Beijing 1 year after the massacre happened.
Thank you fly4work.

Originally Posted by nemme99
Wonderful photos. I'm definitely taking note of visiting a less visited spot of the Great Wall for when I make it to China some day. How was the Chinese chardonnay? Granted, I tend to stay away from chardonnay for fear of the oak taste though I know I'm missing out on some good wines, but even this I'd have to give a chance.
Thanks nemme99. The Chinese Chardonnay was actually really good.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
This is highly sound advice. ^
May I further suggest that if you enjoyed this visit, that you should consider a visit to Macchu Picchu, Peru at sunset after all the day crowds have left? Truly special places on the globe. ^
Thank you worldtraveller73. We were really fortunate to avoid the crowds at the Wall. It makes the experience so much better when it's just you and few other people. Thanks for the tip about Mautianyu. I may have to add it to the bucket list.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
This seems to be quite common with Chinese Airlines. I've seen other trip reports where the relief pilots are occupying First Class seats... I thought the 777-300ER had rest areas for the crew?
FDW
Thanks FDW. I guess those F seats were more inviting than the rest bunks.

Originally Posted by steveman518
You were at badaling, which is a complete zoo from start to finish. It's not so bad if you go up the steeper side and go all the way to the end, but most people tend to go for the busier (and less strenuous) side with crowds for days
It is well worth the extra hour drive to go to Jinshanling.

Originally Posted by vgang
Another great one from SFO777! Thanks for all your time and effort. A bit baffled though by the fact that the IFE magazine cover of a Chinese Airline flying from SFO to China has the movie title in Greek!
Go figure!
Thanks very much vgang. LOL on that Greek movie title.

Originally Posted by 000
Awesome TR so far SFO777, as indeed all of your trip reports are. I'm blown away by your photos of the Four Seasons in Beijing. On the basis of your photos alone, I've added it to my approved hotel list. Thanks!
Thank you 000. It is truly one of the great hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.