Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Lesotho, Swaziland and yet another coup...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lesotho, Swaziland and yet another coup...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Various
Nice report. I have been curious about these two South African neighbours for a while and this report give me information I need.

It was a long trip for a very short stay. I don't have the jetlag to deal with going to Southern Africa but would still be hesitant (but perhaps more so because of potentially having to deal with questions at immigration and customs in a number of countries)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:06 pm

I have this hotel ibn Lesotho on my list since a few years ago.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the only way to get into either of these countries by driving? Can you take a train?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is the only way to get into either of these countries by driving? Can you take a train?
There is bus service, direct shuttle service to Swaziland to/from JNB, or you can fly from Johannesburg to Manzini or Maseru (expensive though). No train service, the closest to Swaziland is Nelspruit in South Africa.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
We will be in JNB for 5 days in April 2017.

Is it worth taking day trips from JNB to Lesotho & Swaziland?

Are there safari trips from JNB to Lesotho and/or Swaziland?
Old May 30, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
We will be in JNB for 5 days in April 2017.

Is it worth taking day trips from JNB to Lesotho & Swaziland?

Are there safari trips from JNB to Lesotho and/or Swaziland?
Lesotho and Swaziland really aren't safari country. I'd say they're quite interesting, but not really day-trippable.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Lesotho and Swaziland really aren't safari country. I'd say they're quite interesting, but not really day-trippable.
Yeah it's about a 3.5 - 4-hr drive each way, and that's just to the borders. Was closer to 5 hrs from JNB airport to Maliba lodge and from Swazi hotel back to JNB airport, including border crossings. It was a LONG day drive from Lesotho to Swazi, possible but not recommended.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:01 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Yeah it's about a 3.5 - 4-hr drive each way, and that's just to the borders. Was closer to 5 hrs from JNB airport to Maliba lodge and from Swazi hotel back to JNB airport, including border crossings. It was a LONG day drive from Lesotho to Swazi, possible but not recommended.
Exactly. I'd say the fastest you could reasonably "cram it in" if you're really set on seeing them is:

Day 1: drive JNB to Lesotho, stay overnight at Maliba
Day 2: drive to Ladysmith, see some of the battle sights/etc along the way, overnight
Day 3: drive to Mbabane, overnight
Day 4: back to JNB

So you could do a mildly "worth it" trip in 72 hours, but if you want to do it in two day trips you couldn't do much more than pop in and out without seeing really anything...only really worth it if your goal is to tick the box.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:26 pm

Sorry to come to this thread really late, but for info, there is an excellent shuttle bus option from JNB through to Mbabane and Manzini. As a lone female traveler, the bus was a great way to travel.

Having lived in Swaziland in the late 70's, I returned for the first time in June 2016. My only regret was not returning sooner. Anway, I flew into the new airport, but took the shuttle bus back to JNB.

Not sure if I can mention it here, but it's Sky World Travel. I have no affiliation to the company, but it was recommended to me by someone whose judgement I trust.

Also wanted to add that there is a reliable shuttle bus from the new airport to Mbabane, which takes approx 90 minutes. The shuttle runs before/after each Airlink arrival (er, about 3 a day I think!). The new airport is located in the east of Swaziland, a nice shiny new airport, but not too practical location-wise. Matshapa used to be much better, situated just outside Manzini.

Last edited by HGOLI; Jan 3, 2017 at 3:18 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AMEX Platinum
There was no line at all for visa-except countries and I was through to the car rental desk in no time. It took awhile to get the paperwork filled out and get the permit to drive the car cross-border to Lesotho and Swaziland (in the end no one ever asked for it).
My husband and I will be traveling to Maliba Lodge next week via JNB. I know there is a permit required to cross the border into Lesotho; however, all the rental companies I have contacted have responded with absolutely no details on the process to obtain these credentials. Some of their sites even say it takes up to 24 hours to obtain. It appears it did not take you that long. Do you have any recollection of the process? Did you have to alert them of your travel plans before your arrival? Any information you may have would be EXTREMELY helpful. I know this is an old post, but it appears there are very few of us flyertalkers who make the journey to Lesotho.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarriedToAnEXP
My husband and I will be traveling to Maliba Lodge next week via JNB. I know there is a permit required to cross the border into Lesotho; however, all the rental companies I have contacted have responded with absolutely no details on the process to obtain these credentials. Some of their sites even say it takes up to 24 hours to obtain. It appears it did not take you that long. Do you have any recollection of the process? Did you have to alert them of your travel plans before your arrival? Any information you may have would be EXTREMELY helpful. I know this is an old post, but it appears there are very few of us flyertalkers who make the journey to Lesotho.
I got a document from Budget when I rented the car at JNB, but no one ever asked for it in Lesotho or Swaziland.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Really amazing TR - thanks for sharing ^
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:59 pm

I got a document from Budget when I rented the car at JNB, but no one ever asked for it in Lesotho or Swaziland.
+1. Just a one page form they fill out in a minute when you get your car. No one bothered to check ours at the border too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.