Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Circling The Pacific: The Long Way To Down Under - LAX-HKG-SYD-BNE-LAX on CX F/J QF J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Circling The Pacific: The Long Way To Down Under - LAX-HKG-SYD-BNE-LAX on CX F/J QF J

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by c1223
QF domestic J service is very good from what I experience as well. Although, everyone on the 767s gets an iPad!

They also run a 767 between SYD and MEL (as well as the 737). Think there's something like 15 return flights a day which are all pretty busy, especially early morning and late evening.

Shame you didn't get to the Koala Sanctuary. It really was amazing, but you do need at least half a day to do it.
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to update my post then! And like I said, I'll definitely be back! I'd love to check out Melbourne, Cairns, and New Zealand if I have a chance. I imagine I'll be back a couple more times in my lifetime.

Originally Posted by kingarthur
Yeah I find CX to be an upgrade over JL F too, except the food, although both are amazing. I'll be going via Star Alliance J using US Airways miles. Since I only collect miles on Oneworld now, I figured I would try out Asiana's new A380, ANA, and EVA while I still could. I gave my wife the option and she picked Tokyo over Seoul to spend 2 days.

I haven't booked my SYD-BNE flight yet... given 3 full days traveling with your wife, would you recommend tilting the time more towards Sydney or Brisbane? I imagine anywhere in Australia is pretty laid back, and the food looked awesome both places.
Sounds like a great trip. I'm curious to try out those products as well, especially the Asiana A380. Eva looks like a great product as well. I was tempted to route through Taiwan just got a Rimowa amenity kit.

I'd definitely spend more than 23 hours in Brisbane, maybe 2 nights would be good. There's definitely a lot to see and do in Sydney, so I would spend more time there.

Originally Posted by c1223
I'd say more time in Sydney personally. There's more to do.
I'd agree, although I wouldn't completely dismiss Brisbane. There's enough to do to cover 2-3 days.

Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Still one of my most favourite countries in the world to travel to. Really enjoying your report. Keep it up
I'll be back!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: ☆A Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Accor Platinum
Nice TR and amating pics. So which camera are you using?

Regards
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chilangoflyer
Nice TR and amating pics. So which camera are you using?

Regards
Sony RX100 v2. Very compact and takes excellent pics in low light. I actually purchased this camera with the intent of writing up a trip report. My photography skills are extremely limited, so credit for the photos goes entirely to the camera. Other than blurring out some parts, these photos are 100% unedited.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

QF15 Business Class B747-400 Brisbane to Los Angeles (BNE-LAX)

Brisbane to Los Angeles:

We left the hotel and took a cab to the airport. Because we were leaving the country and I had spent all our cash, prior to jumping in the cab, I asked the driver if he accepted credit card payment. Its an old habit from taking cabs in Chicago, where this was constantly an issue. The driver nicely confirmed and we were on our way.

Once we arrived, I pulled out my credit card and the driver proceeded to insert the card into the pin reader only to receive an error message. No biggie, this has happened all throughout my trip. However, this time the driver informed me that I had to use my PIN.

No PIN. Whoops…

No biggie, as I ran into the terminal and hit up one of the many ATMs. I withdrew $50AUD, and handed it to my driver to cover my ~$49 cab fare. My diver then proceeded to return to his car to get me change. If this transaction went down in the US, the driver would have kept the meter running while I ran into the terminal, and then berated me for not tipping. I was pretty shocked, and I really liked the guy, so I just gave him all the change left in my pocket, which actually turned out to be around $9 or so. Driver was truly happy. I will definitely return to this amazing country.

Because we were returning to the US, check in and customs were going to take a bit more time. We checked in our bags in the Business class check in counter and received valuable fast track passes though passport checks and security. After about 20 minutes we were in the terminal. Without the fast track, security would have taken at least an hour, based on the number of people in line.

We checked out what I would guess was the single most crowded lounge I’ve ever entered. The SYD domestic lounge definitely put this lounge to shame. Qantas also had flights leaving to Hong Kong and Singapore, and these definitely added to the lounge crowd. All in all, I would skip this lounge. However, this was the first place I came face to face with something as Australian as koalas and kangaroos:

And with about 15 minutes left until boarding, I left the lounge to snap some pics of our ride back home.

Such a beautiful plane.

Although I was sad that our trip was coming to a close, I was beyond excited to take this next flight. I was looking forward to this flight even more than the CX F segment. The 747 has always had a special place in my heart ever since I found out that a plane with an upper deck existed. I grew up in the bay area, and any time we’d drive up 101 past SFO, I would peek out the window to get a glimpse of any 747 I could. I thought I would never in my life get to take a flight in the upper deck of a 747. It always felt like an unattainable fantasy.

Having only jumped into this hobby recently, I haven’t even had the opportunity to fly long haul flights, and I sat in the back the only other flight I’ve taken on a 747. I even had the option to fly business on an A380 from SYD back to LAX at the end of this trip, but turned it down for a chance to ride in the upper deck of a 747. I figured that because many airlines are retiring their 747s and opting to go with the A380, 777, or 787 as a longhaul options, and my chances to fly a 747 were diminishing. So with this flight, I finally got to check off a huge box on my personal bucket list.

Apologies for the long intro to this post. Now, onto the flight and more pics.

Qantas 15
Brisbane (BNE) – Los Angeles (LAX)
B747-400
Friday, September 5, 2014
10:35AM – 06:40AM
13hr5min
Seats 12J, 12K (Business Class)

Boarding was announced at the farthest gate down the International terminal. Passengers were lined up in two lines: one for QF elites, OW Sapphires and Emeralds, PE, and Business passengers, and one for everyone else. We had our passports checked and boarding passed scanned, and proceeded down the jetbridge. Everyone entered the plane through one door, so I saw a long backup when I entered the jetbridge. So I waited. And waited. And waited.

For about 30 minutes, no one moved. Rumors started circulating that the plane had a serious mechanical issue. Thoughts of an equipment swap started to float in my head, or possibly a delay until tomorrow, where my options would solely be limited to sitting in the back of the plane instead of on top. We were all told to exit back to the terminal. Never a good sign. No explanation was given, except that the Captain said we were having an issue.

After waiting in the terminal for another 15 minutes or so, we were given the green light to re-enter the plane. Quite hesitantly, everyone eventually boarded. And when I saw this sight, I was on cloud nine.

Quite literally, my stairway to heaven.

We entered the mini-cabin and were instantly greeted by the two FAs serving our section, Manuel and Niu. Both were fantastic, and really lived up to Qantas’ service reputation. Manuel mostly took care of us on this trip.

The seats are arranged in a 2-2 setting, which I actually prefer to CX’s Cirrus seat when travelling with a companion. A pillow and comforter awaited us on the seat.

The upper deck consisted of 18 total seats, and all were filled with folks looking to escape the Australian winter for sunny California.

I liked the large side bins. I didn’t even use the overhead ones. These were very convenient and useful.

Mattress top located under the seat in front.

IFE Controls

Seat controls

Reading light

Center divider that you can raise with the push of a button for privacy, if flying solo (or, for when your s/o thinks you're taking too many photos)

Old school overhead vents

Once seated, we received menus.

Orders were taken on the ground for “dinner.” Manuel explained that they refer to the first meal service as dinner in order to help us get adjusted back to US time quickly.

And a breakfast menu to fill out now, to avoid being disturbed at what would be roughly 5:00am PST.

Pre-departure beverages, champagne and OJ

Amenity kits for everyone. Jack Spade for the guys, Kate Spade for the ladies.

And PJs and headphones. Even though these weren’t necessarily the fanciest airline PJs, still a nice touch for Business class.

And headphones.

Once settled, the Captain explained that he was unable to load the plane for security reasons. Apparently one of the mechanics lost a tool on the plane, and because the US has strict security regulations, no one could get on the plane until the tool was found. Eventually, all was sorted out, and we were underway. We were departing an hour late by this time, but the Captain assured us that we would be arriving on time (which we did).
We taxied for a good 10 minutes and eventually were cleared for takeoff.

Views on takeoff.

The only downside of having the IFE in the armrest portion was that the IFE systems had to be stowed away for takeoff and landing. Luckily, I was greeted with some amazing natural IFE outside the plane.

Shortly after takeoff, I fired up the IFE.

Not as extensive as StudioCX (and unfortunately, no Brooklyn Nine-Nine).

Shortly thereafter, Manuel offered to pull out the mattress pad to make the seat even more comfortable.

"Dinner" quickly arrived after takeoff. First, a drink and snack, which I saved for later.

I really enjoy drinking from real glasses on planes. For some reason, it makes a huge difference to me.

Next, a salad and cauliflower soup. The soup was really good.

No fancy salt and pepper shakers here. And after downing my second glass of champagne, I opted for a sauvignon blanc. Can’t recall where the wine came from, but it was tasty.

My wife went with the steak. It looked slightly overcooked at first, but she said that wasn’t the case as it was perfect in the middle.

And for my main, I had the ocean trout.

It was fantastic. Easily the best entree I had on all the flights on this trip.

Later, the dessert cart came by. I opted for cheese and coffee.

Cheese was so-so.

I really need to do a better job of selecting desserts.

I decided to use this time to catch up on more movies that I’ve missed over the past year or so. I picked 42 and Django Unchained. While the IFE screen wasn’t the largest, it was definitely adequate. My only complaint was that you had to see the screen straight on to get a clear view.

After dinner I decided to recline and relax as much as I could.

Even though these seats are advertised as 180 degree lay flat seats, I felt the end of the seats sagged a bit. It didn't bother me at all, and I actually felt these seats were more comfortable to sit in than the CX J seats, partly due to the mattress pad.

Throughout the flight Manuel was more than helpful and willing to do whatever we needed to enjoy our flight. He always addressed me by name, which I thought was pretty impressive considering how many people were in the cabin, and also because I am awful at remembering names. During the flight I walked back to the galley where he was hanging out and asked for a drink. He offered to give me a tour of the plane, which I politely declined. I was interested in seeing the lower deck, so I took a walk downstairs and to the nose of the plane, which I thought was pretty cool.

I ventured back up the steps to the upper desk and asked Manuel about his job and the different planes that he works on, and he noted that although he works A330s occasionally, the 747 was his favorite. He never worked an A380, and said he had no interest in doing so because it’s such a large plane and he wouldn’t be able to take care of his passengers as well as he does on the 747. The service on the 747 was truly on par with the service I received in CX F.

I tried to sleep for as much as I could to adjust back to LA time. I probably got a few hours of sleep. Once I woke up, Manuel hurried over to ask if I was ready for breakfast. I told him yes, and he promptly brought out everything in on one tray.

The eggs and smoked trout were delicious, and even though the croissant looks like plastic in this pic, it was quite good. The toast under the eggs was a little burnt around the edges, so I didn’t bother eating it.

And now I realize that those of you reading this trip report must think that all I eat is dim sum and croissants. I wish...

As we approached LAX, I opened the window and snapped a photo of the sunrise.

And just like the Captain said, we arrived into LAX on time to another empty arrivals hall.

The only negative I would note is that the upper desk only has one lav, and its quite small. That being said, business class passengers generally had free use of both decks, including the lavs downstairs. If I had to choose, I would definitely fly in the upper deck again, as the lower desk looked very cramped with 2-3-2 seating.

All in all, I was very impressed with Qantas. The hard product was perfect for a couple flying together, and the service and food were generally outstanding. I would fly them to Australia again in a heartbeat, and would love to fly F on an A380. In the meantime, I just hope they survive as a company so that I can continue to fly them to and from Australia in the future.

Last edited by bhamsan01; Sep 25, 2014 at 10:26 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Conclusion and thoughts

Aside from the hotel we stayed at in Brisbane, I would say this was by far the best trip I've ever taken. As direct premium seats are difficult to find between the US and Australia, I would highly recommend routing through Asia if your budget allows. I had to spend a few extra miles for the HKG-SYD leg, but considering that I can take a trip like this once maybe every two years, it was well worth it to spend those extra miles.

Starting off with a bang flying CX F from LAX to HKG was absolutely perfect, as we were definitely spoiled and arrived in Hong Kong refreshed and ready to go. The Park Hyatt Sydney was obviously the highlight, in terms of hotels on this trip, and I would gladly spend more points to stay again. Finally, closing up the trip by finally experiencing the upper deck of a 747 really made this a dream vacation.

As this was the first time I got the opportunity to experience 180 degree lie flat seats, I learned that I sleep best with the seat slightly up and with the seatbelt off. Good tips for next time. And if I could do anything different, I would definitely order more food and champagne, especially in F!

Thanks everyone for all the comments so far and for reading my first ever trip report. If you have any comments or questions regarding anything here, I would be more than happy to respond.

Last edited by bhamsan01; Sep 24, 2014 at 11:52 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the very enjoyable report, bhamsan01! Man, you guys were lucky snagging those QF J seats between BNE-LAX! I looked for months for my trip this past May and couldn't find anything, so I ended up going through HKG, like your outbound.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dat4life
Thanks for the very enjoyable report, bhamsan01! Man, you guys were lucky snagging those QF J seats between BNE-LAX! I looked for months for my trip this past May and couldn't find anything, so I ended up going through HKG, like your outbound.
Thanks! I'm glad I finally got it wrapped up.

I'm not sure how QF releases J award seats, but I was able to snag these even though I booked a few months after the schedule opened. I'm guessing someone probably cancelled their reservation and these went back not the system.

I can't stress enough how great the QF J experience was. The service was really top notch. If available, I would book this same flight in a heartbeat. I also wouldn't be too sad about routing through HKG or SIN on Cathay or Singapore.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Made me even more excited

Thanks for sharing your wonderful travel experience. Your QF segment from BNE to LAX got me extremely excited. I'll be on QF 15 tomorrow finally experiencing the Queen of the Skies again after lots of A333 and A380 trips. As a single traveler I managed to secure 5J for tomorrow's flight which is supposed to be the best seat in the house for single travellers. Hope I can remember to finally put together a trip report myself.

Cheers from Brisbane,

pswissoz
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pswissoz
Thanks for sharing your wonderful travel experience. Your QF segment from BNE to LAX got me extremely excited. I'll be on QF 15 tomorrow finally experiencing the Queen of the Skies again after lots of A333 and A380 trips. As a single traveler I managed to secure 5J for tomorrow's flight which is supposed to be the best seat in the house for single travellers. Hope I can remember to finally put together a trip report myself.

Cheers from Brisbane,

pswissoz
I hope you enjoy the flight as much as I did! 5J did look much more spacious, as its a solo seat. They really packed the lower desk with 2-3-2 seating. Hopefully you get some top notch service as well. Take lots of pics, and maybe we can compare notes after your flight.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by bhamsan01
I hope you enjoy the flight as much as I did! 5J did look much more spacious, as its a solo seat. They really packed the lower desk with 2-3-2 seating. Hopefully you get some top notch service as well. Take lots of pics, and maybe we can compare notes after your flight.
Sounds like a plan. Time to catch some sleep before the big day tomorrow. Also looking forward to my first Spirit experience from LAX to IAH. Did the sensitive thing and booked myself a big seat. Really curious to see if they are really as bad as everyone says.

Good night from Brisbane,

pswissoz
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pswissoz
Sounds like a plan. Time to catch some sleep before the big day tomorrow. Also looking forward to my first Spirit experience from LAX to IAH. Did the sensitive thing and booked myself a big seat. Really curious to see if they are really as bad as everyone says.

Good night from Brisbane,

pswissoz
I flew Spirit once from ORD to MIA. Never again! Well, maybe for a much shorter flight I can bear it. My legs aren't that long and I pack light.

Enjoy the flight! Oh, my last gripe about all my flights was no wifi, but that was really minor and totally expected.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:22 pm

Thanks so much for the wonderful write-up. So informative, especially for a newbie like me.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Great TR. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to Australia. I am quite cynical about this country and its future, so it is lovely to read a story from someone who enjoyed their visit.

In Sydney you made some excellent choices re eating. I grew up in Sydney (and still spend a lot of time there on business) and think that eating out there is such a rip off - unless you go to Chinatown (or Cabramatta, which is a little off the beaten track for visitors) which you did.

Your photos of dumplings in Hong Kong bring back so many great memories. HKG is a wonderful, interesting and above all delicious place! I always enjoy my visits there.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whey
Thanks so much for the wonderful write-up. So informative, especially for a newbie like me.
Thanks, hopefully you get the opportunity to take a similar trip sometime soon. Because of the many differences between HK and Australia (weather being one of them) it felt like we took two trips instead of one after a few weeks.

Originally Posted by Chalkie
Great TR. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip to Australia. I am quite cynical about this country and its future, so it is lovely to read a story from someone who enjoyed their visit.

In Sydney you made some excellent choices re eating. I grew up in Sydney (and still spend a lot of time there on business) and think that eating out there is such a rip off - unless you go to Chinatown (or Cabramatta, which is a little off the beaten track for visitors) which you did.

Your photos of dumplings in Hong Kong bring back so many great memories. HKG is a wonderful, interesting and above all delicious place! I always enjoy my visits there.

Thanks again.
I absolutely loved my time in Australia, and plan on returning multiple times. We didn't get a chance to see Melbourne or the Great Barrier Reef, and I've always wanted to see Ayers Rock. I think that's at least a couple more trips right there.

All the folks I met in Australia were incredibly nice. As we stepped off the plane at LAX, I said to my wife something along the lines of "great, now we have to deal with a bunch of a-holes." I agree that the food is quite expensive, but a lot of my friends told me that used to not be the case, as the $USD has weakened quite a bit against the $AUD.

Hopefully Qantas keeps flying their A380s between LAX and SYD/MEL and I can snag a couple F seats.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong - Central

In light of all that is going on in Hong Kong right now, I decided to dig up a few more photos from my stay to share here. These were taken in Central, right after we visited the Peak. After we stepped off the tram, we walked down to Queensroad to the MTR station and walked underground all the way to Tim Ho Wan, right next to the Central airport express stop. I was surprised at how empty the city was.

Currently, this part of Hong Kong is being occupied by thousands of Hong Kong residents protesting Beijing's attempt to disrupt Hong Kong's political autonomy. While I want to avoid getting political, I do hope that a peaceful resolution is reached soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.