QR to India and Back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR to India and Back

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, EK Skywards Blue, AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles, Lufthansa Miles & More, Aeroplan
QR to India and Back

Well hello everyone, I haven't posted a TR since May/June, since I have been very busy with summer classes in college. I had gone to India for 2 weeks in late June/early August, and I flew Qatar Airways. . . BIG MISTAKE!!! So on with the trip report!

7/28/2014
QR 734
DFW-DOH
Sched. Departure 20:00
Actual Departure 21:05
Sched. Arrival 18:20 +1
Actual Arrival 19:30 +1
Seat 26K, moved to 18H
Boeing 777-200LR A7-BBG
Flying Time 14:25

Checking in at DFW is so easy, it doesn't take any more than 10 minutes. With Qatar Airways, they don't have self-service kiosks, so you have to wait in line, but checking in was no problem. QR doesn't have carry-on bag tags either. Depending on the itinerary they will give you one of 4 different bag tags and boarding pass jackets.

Blue is for all passengers terminating in Doha.

Yellow is for economy class passengers connecting in Doha.

Yellow rimmed with orange is for economy class passengers who have a tight connection in Doha.

Burgundy/maroon is for premium class passengers connecting in Doha.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Once through security, I went over to Gate D11. Boarding was on time, but a catering mistake caused a delay of an hour and five minutes. My TV wasn't working either, just to add to my misery. I had called the F/A 3 times to have my screen rebooted. The 4th freeze-up and the FA said she'll move me to the forward economy cabin after takeoff.

I had a connection to Kolkata when I arrived in Doha, and it was pretty tight (55 minutes), and I was worried about missing it. I told the flight attendant, and she came over the PA.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay. For those passengers connecting to India, the following flights are being held back from departure. QR 550 to Amritsar, QR 570 to Bangalore, QR 528 to Chennai, QR 546 to Kolkata, QR 522 to Goa, QR 500 to Hyderabad, and QR 514 to Kochi.

Once we landed in Doha, it was a completely different story. The Chennai and Kolkata flights had already taken off, while the other flights were in the stages of boarding. So I was given a hotel voucher, and stayed the night in Doha.

7/30/2014
QR 546
DOH-CCU
Sched. Departure 19:15
Actual Departure 19:19
Sched. Arrival 02:55 +1
Actual Arrival 02:54 +1
Seat 14B
Airbus A320 A7-AHB
Flying Time 5:05

The shuttle picked me up from my hotel at 4:30 pm, and I was at Hamad International by 5:00. I did NOT find QR to be a good airline already. The food was horrible, not to mention the meal trays were TINY, the seat cushion didn't move forward as it does on EK and AA (plus points for them), and transfer through Doha was a nightmare. However, I ended up reaching Kolkata safe and sound.

8/13/2014
QR 547
CCU-DOH
Sched. Departure 03:55
Actual Departure 04:12
Sched. Arrival 06:35
Actual Arrival 06:25
Seat 11F, changed to 1F (score!)
Airbus A320 A7-AHK
Flying Time 4:47

Leaving Kolkata was easy, because one of my uncles invited me to dinner, and he lives near Kolkata Airport. After checking in, I went through the exit formalities and security. The thing that irks me most about airport security in India is that EVERYONE gets a pat down. Even if you don't set off the metal detector.

As I boarded the flight, the BP scanner denied me boarding. But the staff checked the manifest and told me that I was now upgraded to BUSINESS CLASS!!!

Well, I slept through the whole flight!!!

8/13/2014
QR 733
DOH-DFW
Sched. Departure 08:10
Actual Departure 08:35
Sched. Arrival 15:35
Actual Arrival 15:39
Seat 27K
Boeing 777-200LR A7-BBC
Flying Time 15:04

Again, the nightmare called Hamad Airport! Nothing special from here on out, so thanks for reading!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.