Wiki Posts
Search

PEOPLExpress (V2) 401 PHF - ATL on Aug 19, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Talking PEOPLExpress (V2) 401 PHF - ATL on Aug 19, 2014

This very well may be my first post here! Been a 'lurker' for a while.

I recently had the opportunity to fly PEOPLExpress from PHF to ATL and then back again the next day, this is just gonna be a short trip review covering the highlights. As you may know, PEx regularly has crazy sales on new routes, so I jumped on when they announced service to Atlanta for $39 each way!

If you don't know about PEOPLExpress, here is a little description from their Wikipedia page:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"People Express Airlines (branded PEOPLExpress) is an airline that began operations on June 30, 2014 from Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport. The airline was publicly launched during a press conference at the Newport News airport on February 13, 2012, though its organization began in April 2011 when Michael Morisi, an official at the original People Express Airlines and chief operating officer for the revived company, began bringing together a group of people to start the company. People Express has received financing from private investors and Newport News area businesses.

Service was initially anticipated to begin late-2013, but several delays caused the launch date to push back to mid-2014 People Express had initially intended to acquire Xtra Airways in order to expedite the airline's certification process, but the deal was never finalized due to issues identified during the due diligence process. On October 5, Jeffrey Erickson, former Atlas Air President and CEO was announced as PEOPLExpress' first CEO.

At a press event on May 30, 2014, PEX announced that flight operations would commence on June 30, 2014. Flights are operated by Vision Airlines doing business as PEOPLExpress. The airline currently utilizes Vision Airlines' existing USDOT scheduled authority and FAA Part 121 certification. People Express plans on obtaining its own FAA certification and begin operating independently within the next few years."

"The airline's business model is to operate to niche markets, largely in the eastern United States, that are underserved or unserved by mainline airlines while charging about 40% less than typical fares. The airline's base is PHF in Newport News, where the end of service by AirTran in 2012 left a void for service to New York, Boston and Orlando."

"People Express operates as a virtual airline using exclusively Boeing 737 [-400] aircraft from Vision Airlines. The aircraft are configured with 150 (12/138) seats."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check In:

Currently there is no online check-in so you must visit their counter to print a boarding pass and pay any other fees for additional bags. Also, PEOPLExpress' boarding process is similar to Southwest's, just modified a little. Preboard, military, 'Living Large' seat purchasers, those who paid to assign a normal seat, then general boarding. You may sit wherever there is an open seat on the aircraft at this point.

Boarding Pass! And the front/back of a promotional postcard from the counter.

PEOPLExpress/Vision Airlines Flight 401, Boeing 737-300 N732VA (Temporary Aircraft, explained below.) White Vision Airlines Livery. This 733 has no 'Living Large' seating area, which can be a bit of a problem for those customers who purchased it.

I can't lie, I was a bit disappointed getting 'swapped'. I was hoping for their signature green 734! Yet, this 733 is due to be sent back to Vegas by the end of the month. Then two more green 734's are due to arrive at Newport News!

Onboard!

This safety card is a good indicator of the condition of the interior of the aircraft.

Cruising at FL280

Overhead reading lights and air nozzles.

Panorama from the middle (Row 17) inflight. This highlights the emptiness of the flight.

Now for the interior!

The front window shade was jammed all the way up and wouldn't close.

The only snack offering, still free! $2 for a can of a Coca-Cola beverage. Beer and other alcoholic beverages available for a $5 - $7 charge depending if I remember correctly.

Arrival into Atlanta:
At Gate E32.

Thank you for reading Part One of my two part PEOPLExpress journey! Part Two (ATL - PHF Flight 402 B734) will be here by tomorrow hopefully! I would be glad to answer any questions, I made lots of little observations not listed here.

Last edited by matthandy; Aug 22, 2014 at 9:37 am Reason: Re-size images
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Whoa there! You need to do some serious resizing of your pics!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by stu1985
Idk what you're talking about. I just read this TR using the Jumbotron at Cowboys Stadium and it looked fine to me...
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Idk what you're talking about. I just read this TR using the Jumbotron at Cowboys Stadium and it looked fine to me...
Originally Posted by stu1985
Oops! I assumed once it was actually here it would re-size automatically like most every other website. I will go through them eventually, but the info is still here just a bit harsh to read.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just a quick note to say that I've resized the images for you.

As you are using imgur all you need to do is put 'l' (lower case L) on the end of the image like this:

i.imgur.com/4pvGcgOl.jpg

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by matthandy
Just a quick note to say that I've resized the images for you.

As you are using imgur all you need to do is put 'l' (lower case L) on the end of the image like this:

i.imgur.com/4pvGcgOl.jpg

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports
Thank you so much! I was trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this, I found something about [size=-*] [/size] which seemed to work. But I wanted to be sure then the post disappeared! Thanks again!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matthewmurray
I found something about [size=-*] [/size] which seemed to work.
No problem.

That's just for text I'm afraid, it won't resize images as far as I know.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:29 pm

Thanks for the trip report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.